[Mod] Bones [bones]

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Fri Jan 04, 2013 21:25

0gb.us wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:I dont like the checking for chests or owned nodes, because just some random meta strings are tested.

True. I don't like the implementation either. I wanted to test for meta data in general, but I'm not sure that can be done with the current API.

Fixed. Now the node's own can_dig() function is used. This takes care of chests, furnaces, and steel doors, without using arbitrary meta data. This will also allow user-defined nodes to take care of themselves as well.

0gb.us wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:I also dont like to add the replaced nodes to the bones inventory because it should only contain the players items. Otherwise it would be possible to dig mese without any tools.

True, but replacing the mese with the bones node and completely losing the mese forever is worse. Just the inconvenience of finding a way to die in mese just to avoid having to use a tool paired with being warped back to the spawn point so you have to walk all the way back down into the mine to find the mese/bones will deter people from using bones as a way of mining without tools. Not to mention the fact that you can only find your way into the mese to die if you already had a strong enough tool to break the mese in the first place, but lag caused the server to not respond to your digging. Or course, another solution is to just not spawn bones if the player is inside ANY node, and let them keep their stuff in that case.

node_dig() is now used, so the user's tool will be worn out. Since the player can't get into the node without the proper tool, this should fix the problem.

-=-=-=-

Pull request updated.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Sat Jan 05, 2013 21:06

The server crashes with your latest update. This patch should fix it: https://github.com/PilzAdam/bones/pull/3

For the record, I don't like this setup, but it should do as you want it to, while also not crashing the server.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Sun Jan 06, 2013 17:35

Is it possible to makebones as a CAO? So they would be client-side, visible only to their owner and on pick-up event player's stuff would come back to him. (I'm not sure about that "on pick-up" part, though)

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Sun Jan 06, 2013 18:02

4aiman wrote:Is it possible to makebones as a CAO? So they would be client-side, visible only to their owner and on pick-up event player's stuff would come back to him. (I'm not sure about that "on pick-up" part, though)

I thought about suggesting bones be a CAO entity as well, but a number of problems arise. For starters, if the server administrator ends up needing to call /clearobjects, all bones would be lost.

In addition, last time I was working with entities, some of them kept disappearing on me. I don't know if this was an error for sure, and I don't know how hard it would be to prevent, but if your bones disappeared, all your stuff would be lost forever.

Having a bones node also gives you something new to build with. Graveyards would be fun. Also, one thing that Minetest is sorely lacking is sources of renewable nodes. In the current stable version of minetest_game, the only renewable nodes are liquids, tree parts (all flammable), things build from wood (most are flammable), and fire (good luck building things out of fire). Bones would be our first renewable solid non-wooden node.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 19:23

@0gb.us
Well, maybe you're right after all.
Also: Why not search for a closest to the deathspot "air" node? 'Cause player somehow managed to get to that spot, so there should be some "air" "nearby". Besides, if the reason of death was falling into lava and burning in flames, that would save player from having some lava-bath. The search would require some time, but I doubt there would be mass-self-killing incidents ;)

Also I got a little lost reading your conversation here and looking at the commits history, so...
Is that problem with storing items in the craft area still exists? (I think that craft area should be cleared once inventory is closed and the nodes in it should be transferred into the "main" list or dropped if there are no place for that. But that would be a different mod I guess)

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Mon Jan 07, 2013 23:07

4aiman wrote:@0gb.us
Well, maybe you're right after all.
Also: Why not search for a closest to the deathspot "air" node? 'Cause player somehow managed to get to that spot, so there should be some "air" "nearby". Besides, if the reason of death was falling into lava and burning in flames, that would save player from having some lava-bath. The search would require some time, but I doubt there would be mass-self-killing incidents ;)

I wouldn't even mind if the bones were under the lava. It's the destruction of finite materials I'm concerned about. If everything was renewable, I also wouldn't have an issue with the current bones implementation, where bones replace nodes. You can always use gravel to clear lava, if your bones contain something worth retrieving.

4aiman wrote:Also I got a little lost reading your conversation here and looking at the commits history, so...
Is that problem with storing items in the craft area still exists? (I think that craft area should be cleared once inventory is closed and the nodes in it should be transferred into the "main" list or dropped if there are no place for that. But that would be a different mod I guess)

Yes, that problem still exists, and yes, that would fix it. However, the current API does not allow that to happen, as there is no way for the server to know when the user has closed their menu.

The other problem, is that the node you die in is lost forever.

To everyone:

I've been doing some thinking about bones, and its inclusion in minetest_game. I think a lot of us are voting based on whether or not we want it installed on our favourite servers. But consider this: fire is included by default, yet it isn't used on most servers. The real question, is whether there should be a penalty for death a default game. I think there should be. As it is, the only penalty is that you get sent back to the start, and lose your place. But sometimes you WANT to get sent back to the start, if you've mined real deep, and your inventory is full. You might go jump in a lava pit for the sole purpose of respawning at the top. You should have to climb your way back out, or lose the stuff you gathered on your way down. Bones accomplishes this.

The other thing we need by default is a /die command. Sometimes you get trapped underground, and have no way out. /die would get you out, so you wouldn't have to wait for an administrator to rescue you (I left one server because I got trapped, and there was no /die, /spawn, or /home commands), however, if bones was installed, it would come at the price of your gear.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Tue Jan 08, 2013 01:15

The other problem, is that the node you die in is lost forever.

That's one of the reasons I suggested searching for an nearby "air" node...
Maybe lava and water should do as well as the "fire" (if that's not the only one node of it).

Also /home would make bones almost useless. I know people who store their position not at home, but at the deepest mine.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Tue Jan 08, 2013 02:46

Yeah, but if we check to see if a node is buildable_to, is should cover all those bases. In the default game, water, lava, air, and depending on how recent your minetest_game is, fire, are all buildable_to.

/home is not in the default game though. All sorts of added plugins can make all sorts of other plugins useless. If /home makes bones useless, then people who install /home can remove bones.

Previous

Return to Old Mods