[Mod] Disambiguation [0.0] [disambiguation_0gb_us]

0gb.us

[Mod] Disambiguation [0.0] [disambiguation_0gb_us]

by 0gb.us » Tue Jan 08, 2013 05:51

[mod]Disambiguation[0.0][disambiguation_0gb_us]

I wasn't happy when I found that red desert stone can be crafted into regular gray furnaces in 0.44's minetest_game, or into picks at all. I've been planing this plugin since then, but haven't had time to finish it until now. This removes that unpleasantness, without making desert stone any less useful. While I was at it, I also added a separate set of nodes to be crafted from desert sand, although the sand thing doesn't bother me so much.

Features:
* Stone picks can ONLY be crafted from cobble.
* Regular furnaces are crafted using the old cobble-only recipe
* Stone furnaces are crafted from stone
* Desert stone furnaces are crafted from desert stone
* Sandstone is crafted using the old sand-only recipe
* Desert sandstone is crafted from desert sand
* Desert sandstone can be crafted into desert sandstone slabs and staircases, as well as back into desert sand
* Desert sand can also now be smelted into desert glass, which has no streaks. (the streaks make it look nicer in most cases, but sometimes a clearer glass would be better)

These two new furnaces make stone and desert stone homes look nicer, and can even be set into the walls, blending in perfectly.

Code license: LGPLv2/later
Image license: Images are based on Cisoun's WTFPL textures, and are release under the same license.

Download: http://0gb.us/minetest/download.php?plugin=disambiguation_0gb_us-0.0

Aqua

by Aqua » Tue Jan 08, 2013 06:03

Was waiting for this fix! +0.44
Hi there ^.~

Splizard

GitHub: Splizard
IRC: Splizard
In-game: Splizard

by Splizard » Tue Jan 08, 2013 06:08

Nice mod! I think this would suit well in the default game.
Games: The Hungry Games.
Mods: Lifters (Simple Lifts), Snow Biomes and Gates.
Also checkout my texture pack Gridtoon!
View all of them plus more at http://minetest.splizard.com! (may not always be online).

Menche

by Menche » Tue Jan 08, 2013 06:12

Similar to my More Useful Deserts.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.
I am on the Voxelands Forums more often than here.
Try Voxelands (forked from Minetest 0.3) by darkrose

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Tue Jan 08, 2013 06:37

Aqua wrote:Was waiting for this fix! +0.44

Splizard wrote:Nice mod! I think this would suit well in the default game.

I even made it simple. All the nodes are called "default:<someting>" or "stairs:<something>". However, I don't think it actually will be added.

Menche wrote:Similar to my More Useful Deserts.

Similar to that, but designed for the opposite reason, and does not implement "desert cobble". One of the things I love about desert stone is that unlike stone, you don't have to resmelt it whenever you build with it. It also seems your reason for building that was because deserts seemed useless to you. You gave them some functionality. My problem though is that stuff in the desert is now used in exactly the same crafts as stone. Desert stone is no longer different. I actually didn't mind when desert stone was just desert stone, and didn't serve any other purpose than to add red to our buildings. The added furnace types make desert stone unique again, while also not removing the "usefulness" that was added by allowing it to be used as a furnace material.

This also adds stone furnaces and desert glass, which yours does not, although those nodes are of lesser importance.

PilzAdam wrote:With the current upstream you can craft pickaxes from stone, cobblestone and desert stone (it all produces the same stone pickaxe). It uses the group "stone" for that; rating is 1 for stone and 2 for cobblestone.

I had not read that post in your topic, but it is exactly what I am trying to fix. Or rather, the furnace recipe, which he didn't mention. I don't think desert stone should be used in picks either, at least not by default, but tools get used up, so they are less significant as far as I'm concerned.

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Tue Jan 08, 2013 17:00

I changed the crafting recipes in the default game to use the group "stone" instead of "default:cobble". This causes that every node with the group stone (cobble, stone, desert stone) can be used to craft everything that could be crafted with cobblestone before.

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Tue Jan 08, 2013 19:12

This is a simple but nice mod. The more variety that is given to base objects, the better.
Last edited by Inocudom on Tue Jan 08, 2013 19:12, edited 1 time in total.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Tue Jan 08, 2013 19:58

PilzAdam wrote:I changed the crafting recipes in the default game to use the group "stone" instead of "default:cobble". This causes that every node with the group stone (cobble, stone, desert stone) can be used to craft everything that could be crafted with cobblestone before.

Yes, I know. That's the problem. Red desert stone is now used to craft normal grey furnaces and normal grey picks. Not only does it not make sense to me, it also takes up more of the recipe space than it should.

On some things, this sort of system makes sense. For example, the wool plugin uses groups to allow the wool to be dyed by any group:dye item. However, on things like desert stone, I don't think it is preferable to have it craft into the same things that stone and cobble craft into. Just my thoughts on it.

If desert stone is no longer supposed to be special in the default game, that's fine. Minetest's adaptability is great, allowing a different experience for different people/servers, so people who don't like desert stone being treated the same as stone and cobble can use this or something similar, and people who like the new group:stone behaviour can just not install it.

Inocudom wrote:The more variety that is given to base objects, the better.

That's what I thought.

Return to Old Mods