Erthome Mining Community

Erthome

Erthome Mining Community

by Erthome » Mon Jul 15, 2013 17:14

Greetings All :-)

I go by Erthome here (obviously) and in these other places:

IRC #minetest
Redcrab BBS
Redcrab.Suret.net:30401 (Redcrab Server)
Minetest.org:30019 (Silvercrab Server)

(other Minetest Servers where my account may or may not be active due to limited use,)

I've been very actively building for the past couple of years on the Redcrab server [ which is currently experiencing a protracted service outage ] and eventually accepted CactuzPL's invitation to become a moderator there.

I focused on the Redcrab server because it :

- is no-kill (without prior agreement to contest or the like),

- does not condone griefing (offering area build/dig protection and moderator accessible miscreant-user rollback capability), and

- present dilemma not withstanding, has been very stable (albeit a bit laggy at times but with minimal crashing) [ which I personally have attributed to redcrab's NOT jumping on every new/experimental mod as they come along ],

- and because I was eventually able to get an available MAC client to work with it thereby allowing my teenaged son (Lucretious in-game) to join in from his mom's house where he only has access to the MAC platform.

In the wake of the prolonged redcrab outage, by the generous efforts of OldCoder, Sokomine and others a new Silvercrab server has been launched, salvaging a commendable piece of the redcrab world for the continued enjoyment of players old and new, and I am now serving there in a similar capacity to that I'd taken on at redcrab.

I come from the old school RPG world (aka the original--pencil, paper and sitting around a table in the mundane world--circa 1976 Dungeons and Dragons) so I have a mild obsession with game theme and storyline...even in a sandbox. As such I sought and was granted a protected chunk of countryside on the Redcrab server along the border between the Central and North regions, which I affectionately refer to as the Erthome Land Grant, and where I've been in the process of establishing the Erthome Mining Community (EMC) with a modicum of storyline and theme. This undertaking is taking on new life on the Silvercrab server where the reclamation of the forerunner work is underway and continuing enhancement will soon begin.

The community is intended to revolve around a Lore that involves a sort of 'back-to-the-Erth movement', whereby, for instance, in the central Erthome Land Grant area the surface visible dwellings should be designed and constructed in a lore friendly style.

[ Furnishings, interior-decorating and underground structures are not meant to be limited in anyway--save for the imaginations and talent of the builders. ]

In these historic themed areas the surface visible buildings, entrances, and landscaping should have a sort of rural/country, low-tech feel...For example, TravelNet Booths should be placed inside structures (such as within a personal entry way, or in a dedicated building like the Anachrona Station in N'Erth Plaza) NOT dropped at random spots along roadways. Buildings that feature Dirt as a building element are traditional and encouraged, whereas glass and steel skyscrapers are considered "Sand-In-The-Sky" or "excessively 'New Age'", and are (according to the lore) not deemed to constitute "healthy surface habitat" [ Again, this ONLY applies in the historic neighborhoods, whereas the Erthome Vicinity communities (not mentioned below) are only constrained by the wishes of their contemporary inhabitants. :-) ]

For the past couple of years, I have been busy building infrastructure such as roadways/tunnels/bridges/walls/mine heads/flood control chambers/water-lava-pneumatic service lines, roughing out the Erthome historic neighborhoods ( Ertharbor, OHW Academy-N'Erth Plaza Campus, Erthome Guild, Axyaqux Estate, Sandy Stand Quarry & Recreation Area, Dolphin Loch Resort, Mehr Downs Sanctuary, and Old Tree Mills ), and have constructed such practical items as the N'Erth Plaza Nexus Welcome Center, Anachrona Station Travelnet Hub, Neighborhood Overseers Residences, the Azyaqux Estate Festival Grounds, the Vox Anchor Tower grid, Ertharbor Courthouse and Municipal Office facilities, and the shell of the once and future Erthold City.

Some of my neighbors such as AspireMint, Gary, Motherboard, and Nikicalcio have cheerfully chipped in on a couple of the seemingly random at first scattered projects, and as time and effort would have it the big picture is finally coming together nicely.

Soon the Erthome Mining Community will be formally offering prepared homesteading parcels to interested players, and as the community grows we anticipate the inauguration of some periodic community focused and public interest events where players can gather and interact within the context of the EMC theme.

All Worthy Blessings,

Erthome

Have fun--play Minetest--dig the Crabby Servers!
Last edited by Erthome on Mon Oct 06, 2014 16:58, edited 2 times in total.

nomohakon

IRC: nomohakon
In-game: nomohakon

by nomohakon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 18:03

I will regret this, but...

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
A. C. Clarke
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." - Voltaire
"Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it." - Alan Moore, V for Vendetta
- - -
"To never die... and to conquer all, that is winning." ―Illyria

Erthome

by Erthome » Mon Jul 15, 2013 18:09

nomohakon wrote:I will regret this, but...

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
A. C. Clarke

That is one of my favorite quotes! LOL...Also quoted in one of my favorite books from back in the day Metamagic[k]al Themas

I wanted to add a number of options to that poll, but it wouldn't let me change the number of options without first posting the topic, THEN when I edit the Topic it wont let me change or disable the poll, or even delete the Topic and start over grrr ...

The other options were to be:

- Define Magick--If you mean Time Traveling Fairies arranging the cards in my Tarot Deck, No. If you mean a recognition of all of reality and especially life as miraculous, Of Course.

- Magick? Why not? More Importantly, does it believe in me?

- I believe in Mushrooms, they believe in magick for me.

- Magick doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is [your favorite buzzword here]

- Magick is a genre of system, as useful and as useless as we make it, understanding that it is just one of nearly countless available lenses through which we can look at and interact with the realities around us
Last edited by Erthome on Mon Jul 15, 2013 18:22, edited 1 time in total.

GingerHunter797

In-game: GingerHunter797

by GingerHunter797 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 01:37

I guess I believe in Magic and Science, if thats evn possible...
http://i.imgur.com/gqXXUaI.png

3DS Friend Code: 2122-7173-2797
Add me as a friend! :D

Want to play a fun game? http://voxelands.com/

Claire

by Claire » Sun Oct 20, 2013 21:04

Erthome wrote:Some of my neighbors such as AspireMint, Gary, Motherboard, and Nikicalcio have cheerfully chipped in on a couple of the projects and things are starting to come together nicely.

What have I contributed? I have forgot what I have built on Redcrebs Server...

btw, its Claire now.

Erthome

Re: Erthome Mining Community

by Erthome » Tue Apr 21, 2015 17:04

Claire: The Oldstone Bridge on the eastern edge of Erthharbor.

Return to Minetest-Related