Contribute to Minetest

burli

Contribute to Minetest

by burli » Thu Jun 16, 2016 07:07

I want to contribute to Minetest (engine). But I need a little bit help to get started. Where should I start? Any prerequisites? Are there any simple tasks that I can get into the code?

Edit: should be in the engine development forum.

domtron vox

GitHub: DomtronVox
IRC: Domtron
In-game: Domtron

Re: Contribute to Minetest

by domtron vox » Sat Jun 18, 2016 04:02

I have been wanting to contribute, but haven't had the time... Anyway list below is from my general programming experience.

1. Have a bit of spare time.
2. Compile Minetest from source.(Instructions:Linux | Windows) This lets you make changes and recompile to test the changes. You will want to clone the code (see #4 below)
3. Know C++ and Lua. Lots of tutorials and resources out there for both.
4. Know git and get a GitHub account. Minetest uses git which simplifies both collaborating and maintaining code. You use git to submit code in what is called a “Pull Request.” I like this resource. To get started you basically just need to know about cloneing, commiting changes, and making pull requests. There was also someone posting a lot of git info on the forums here, but I couldn't find it.
5. Join IRC developer channel(web.freenode.net, enter #minetest-dev in channel field) and talk with the core developers and other contributers.
6. Read through the info on the mintest dev wiki.
7. Look at Issues on GitHub. Maybe try to solve some that are marked Trivial. If you are successful make a pull request.

I hope that list isn't too daunting. And remember whatever you learn here can be applied to the real world. If your going for a programing job it does not hurt to have lots of code commits on your github account.

And I trust others will correct me if I botched anything. :P

Return to Minetest-Related