Making Mining Music

Libervurto

GitHub: Libervurto
IRC: owb
In-game: Libervurto Owly

Making Mining Music

by Libervurto » Thu Sep 15, 2016 01:29

Hello there!

I have been writing music for a long time but I am very new to music production and this is my first project with LMMS, so be kind, I am learning.

I have made two versions of a main theme that tries to evoke a whimsical, adventurous spirit.

First, using the NES synth: https://soundcloud.com/libervurto/wandering
Second, using other synths I experimented with: https://soundcloud.com/libervurto/wandering-alt

Both versions are quite small in file size, <600KB. I feel like the NES one could be much smaller but I don't know how. I want to keep my music as small as possible so that if some day (I wish) it is included in Minetest it does not bloat the files. I play Minetest on an old laptop that cannot even run The Other Mining Game™ (at a playable frame-rate) so I don't want to provide anything that harms performance—any advice toward this goal is appreciated.

I will continue to compose and practice with LMMS. I want to eventually write music for each biome, perhaps some night/day variants and cave music too. (If this music I uploaded were a biome it would be plains.)

Any suggestions, criticism (helpful), and advice welcome.

Thanks.

celeron55

Re: Making Mining Music

by celeron55 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 06:09

This is probably among the best original music about/for Minetest made so far.

Yes, quite frankly, the bar isn't very high here. I listened the first one two times. 8)

Byakuren

GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri

by Byakuren » Tue Sep 20, 2016 09:43

It looks like they're licensed CC-BY-NC-SA, which wouldn't be compatible with the CC-BY-SA license used for Minetest assets.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Wed Sep 21, 2016 01:36

This is cool you're doing this.
Keep in mind that there is resistence to adding music to core Minetest (especially in-game) due to file sizes, the fact that most players prefer to listen to their own choice of music using a seperate media player or CD player, because MTGame is so universal it's difficult to choose a suitable style of music, and because whatever is chosen most will dislike it due to how taste in music is.

However some subgames may want to use music (MTGame probably will not), some ambience mods use in-game music, and music is needed for Minetest videos.

TenPlus1

GitHub: tenplus1

by TenPlus1 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 07:03

Which is why we really need this feature request to become real https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/3878

MineYoshi

GitHub: MineYosh
IRC: MineYoshi
In-game: Kirby_Retro

by MineYoshi » Wed Sep 28, 2016 22:21

I like so much your music +100! :D
People talk about freedom of speech, so i'll say that God exists.
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt
I'm the Officially 1st ABJist in the world ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Return to Minetest-Related