GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

[indev] Minetest Extensions - mod review [Remaking in python

by rubenwardy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 21:08

Minetest Extensions

Latest Release (0.8): 24/March/2013

Why a new one?

The current mod forum is, well unorganized and not very well managed.

That is why, I am making a new one, for c55 to possibly implement
(if not, it will still be used by the three mod-manager mods/scripts).

The Aims

• An easier way to find mods
  • A like/dislike system means players can find the best mods for them
  • A database for the Mod-Manager Mods
  • No more: minetest is soo boring, there is no mobs, or cart... :(
  • No more: how do i install mods?

It features:

• Categories and Tag Searching
  • Mod entry adding and editing
  • Review system

And will feature:

• Rating on Quality, Usefulness, Originality

Get involved

Minetest Mod Forum - the latest version hosted on my website (currently indev)

^ TRY IT OUT ^

Help me out

GitHub, coded in HTML, PHP and MySQL

Chat me on irc: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=minetest

Any feedback or bug reports is also helping :)

The APIs

Want to use this database in your mod manager? See the link below.

Wiki: The APIs

News / Change log

• 2013-03-24 0.8 released
  • 2013-02-03 0.7 released, bug fixes and optimizations, side bars, review system, mod slideshow for homepage
  • 2013-01-07 0.6 released
  • 2012-12-09 updated to main website style
  • 2012-10-15 0.4 released, like button, graphics, bug fixes
  • 2012-09-17 0.3 released, compatible with 3m mod manager
  • 2012-09-07 0.2 released
Last edited by rubenwardy on Sun Aug 17, 2014 15:26, edited 2 times in total.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 23:13

I hope to release it by Christmas.

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sat Aug 25, 2012 16:50

Searching for a modname doesnt show you the mod.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 16:57

PilzAdam wrote:Searching for a modname doesnt show you the mod.

I am aware, at the moment search just searches tags.

I will add name and description searching soon
Last edited by rubenwardy on Sat Aug 25, 2012 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Sat Aug 25, 2012 18:57

This looks really good!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 20:14

You can create an account and start adding your own mods.
Last edited by rubenwardy on Sat Aug 25, 2012 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Sun Aug 26, 2012 09:59

Hmm, gonna install apache on one of my rigs and do some local testing/experimenting :-) If you need help on certain features, i also know php, sql, javascript/jquery, CSS and a few other things whose' acronyms i forget lol
"Fuck the hat." - Paulie Gualtieri

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:12

mauvebic wrote:Hmm, gonna install apache on one of my rigs and do some local testing/experimenting :-) If you need help on certain features, i also know php, sql, javascript/jquery, CSS and a few other things whose' acronyms i forget lol

You are welcome to help.

Notes on MySQL Structure in README.md

The MySQL Database is accessed in scripts/setup.php
So in setup.php, change the password to the one you use, the same with the server name, database name
(or you can keep the details the same, and use my database)

But you must change the $serverpath to something like: "http://localhost" - Notice no / on end, that is automatically added.

A thing that i would ideally like done is a slider like in www.mywot.com, but i am not sure if that is possible in javascript, i could just settle with a form radio button one :)
Last edited by rubenwardy on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:38, edited 1 time in total.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 18:55

0.2 is released!

madchicken13

by madchicken13 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 23:18

I Joined and ill add my texture packs and Mods!

wowiamdiamonds

by wowiamdiamonds » Mon Sep 10, 2012 03:57

Alright, I can't code well, so I'm not going to be able to help there... sorry.

But I do know that the categories are off. For example: Server Interaction Mods. "Mods ideal for servers"... everyone is going to call their own mod "ideal". Also, Fun Mods. What's the alternative? Moderately-entertaining Mods? Boring Mods?

Maybe there could be: technical (technic, mesecons), decoration (moreblocks, homedecor), food (food, farming), plants (farming, flowers), mobs (animals, slimes), server (worldedit), player (bones), utility (falling_items), environment (jungletree, maze). Something like that, but certainly no "Fun" category :P.

I know that this is still being developed, and I think so far it's amazing (and thank you for hosting this), but it'd be nice to see small things like category changes.

Jeija

by Jeija » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:28

It gets better and better, well done rubenwardy! Imho the License of a mod is not that important, so it would be enough to see that on the mod's page.
Tell me if you need some css support (I'm don't actually know much about css, but it's fun to learn it and at least it doesn't look too bad for mesecons.tk)
Redstone for minetest: Mesecons (mesecons.net)

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:22

wowiamdiamonds wrote:Alright, I can't code well, so I'm not going to be able to help there... sorry.

But I do know that the categories are off. For example: Server Interaction Mods. "Mods ideal for servers"... everyone is going to call their own mod "ideal". Also, Fun Mods. What's the alternative? Moderately-entertaining Mods? Boring Mods?

Maybe there could be: technical (technic, mesecons), decoration (moreblocks, homedecor), food (food, farming), plants (farming, flowers), mobs (animals, slimes), server (worldedit), player (bones), utility (falling_items), environment (jungletree, maze). Something like that, but certainly no "Fun" category :P.

I know that this is still being developed, and I think so far it's amazing (and thank you for hosting this), but it'd be nice to see small things like category changes.

By fun, i meant experimental mods like carts.
I will change this for you, it is easy to do.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:24

Jeija wrote:It gets better and better, well done rubenwardy! Imho the License of a mod is not that important, so it would be enough to see that on the mod's page.
Tell me if you need some css support (I'm don't actually know much about css, but it's fun to learn it and at least it doesn't look too bad for mesecons.tk)

The license on the listings was suggested by VanessaE, i did not think it was important, but she did.
I will think about replacing it with something like version

webdesigner97

GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 17:01

Very nice, ruben! I registered and added my mod! :D

Phitherek_

by Phitherek_ » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:58

Quite nice, but it has one major issue. THE DATABASE IS NOT RELATIVE! Really, you can connect mods -> owner with users -> id and posts -> owner with users -> id and it will be only an advantage. It also needs better description of the fields (id' s are INT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, some of them are INTs, one DATE, but what with the other fields? Is it TEXT or e. g. VARCHAR(100) or VARCHAR(500)?) and overall database creation script.

As it will act as one of the modlist for my 3m, I made a fork of it and will try to improve it a bit, also adding necessary additional information.

EDIT: Rubenwardy, check out my pull request. It should be now compatible with 3m and also makes your database relative. You will have to change your DB slightly for this to work. New structure is in updated README.md.
Last edited by Phitherek_ on Sat Sep 15, 2012 14:34, edited 1 time in total.
---
Posted by Phitherek_

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 14:43

Phitherek_ wrote:Quite nice, but it has one major issue. THE DATABASE IS NOT RELATIVE! Really, you can connect mods -> owner with users -> id and posts -> owner with users -> id and it will be only an advantage. It also needs better description of the fields (id' s are INT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, some of them are INTs, one DATE, but what with the other fields? Is it TEXT or e. g. VARCHAR(100) or VARCHAR(500)?) and overall database creation script.

As it will act as one of the modlist for my 3m, I made a fork of it and will try to improve it a bit, also adding necessary additional information.

EDIT: Rubenwardy, check out my pull request. It should be now compatible with 3m and also makes your database relative. You will have to change your DB slightly for this to work. New structure is in updated README.md.

Thank you for your help, I have merged and will be uploading to my server

Phitherek_

by Phitherek_ » Sat Sep 15, 2012 14:53

No problem ;). Let me know when you upload the new version, the new 3m API needs some testing (especially the deps parser) ;). And don' t forget to change the database (for existing entries: 3m_specific should have all releases 1 and all repotypes archive, and in all other tables owner name has been substituted by owner ID making them relative, this must be done manually, sadly).
---
Posted by Phitherek_

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 14:54

Phitherek_ wrote:No problem ;). Let me know when you upload the new version, the new 3m API needs some testing (especially the deps parser) ;). And don' t forget to change the database (for existing entries: 3m_specific should have all releases 1 and all repotypes archive, and in all other tables owner name has been substituted by owner ID making them relative, this must be done manually, sadly).

I am updating the database structure now

BTW I already added repo_type to the mod table. Your idea was a good idea, so i was implementing it.

Go onto minetest's irc room (online client: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=minetest) and PM me
Last edited by rubenwardy on Sat Sep 15, 2012 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 15:26

The reason i did not use the basename get system is because some mods do not have base names.

tonyka

by tonyka » Sat Sep 15, 2012 15:54

Many of us here have used Github for the first time with minetest, and do not know well how to do many things ...
would be a good idea if someone create a small tutorial for dummies, how to use git for all requirements mods ...

I for example do not know what is "basename get", and I'm starting to use labels to indicate good versions ...

You can also optionally add a link to a file help.html, within of Minetest Forum / Browser
Last edited by tonyka on Sat Sep 15, 2012 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
My mod: [MOD]3D Forniture 1.0
Download: 3DForniture_v_1.0.zip
Page development (European Castilian):
Moviliario 3D (proyecto 3D Forniture)

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 16:10

tonyka wrote:Many of us here have used Github for the first time with minetest, and do not know well how to do many things ...
would be a good idea if someone create a small tutorial for dummies, how to use git for all requirements mods ...

I for example do not know what is "basename get", and I'm starting to use labels to indicate good versions ...

You can also optionally add a link to a file help.html, within of Minetest Forum / Browser

I recommend windows users use the windows ui client. Just because we are programmers does not mean we want to make simple things like file sharing harder.
Last edited by rubenwardy on Sat Sep 15, 2012 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

Phitherek_

by Phitherek_ » Sat Sep 15, 2012 17:00

I was afk for a while and I didn' t manage to catch you on freenode ;). And you didn' t have to send me a link to a webchat, I have got an IRC client ;).

It' s really nice that you started to implement my repotype. I think you can leave it in forms as select, maybe just change database columns, it' s not that hard ;).

The reason I want to use basenames is that they are simpler and I would rather not have spaces in them, as they are to be commandline arguments for 3m and bash treats spaces as argument separators (my parsers should accept them though). Maybe just add basename as compulsory field... or if you don' t want to, you can add a name field to 3m_specific.

EDIT: One more pull request - a small one this time ;).

EDIT 2: One more commit in pull request - there should be no extra newlines in the modlist...

EDIT 3: One more, last commit - reverting the second one, because I updated the parsers, as I also had the problem on my hosting - but I found the lack of slash, that is a serious issue (I get 400 Bad Request because of that), fixed in this commit.

EDIT 4: One more commit: merged your changes.
Last edited by Phitherek_ on Sun Sep 16, 2012 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
---
Posted by Phitherek_

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 13:23

Phitherek_ wrote:(snip)

I am on irc now.

I have made you a moderator on my forum, so you can now edit any of the mods.

Phitherek_

by Phitherek_ » Sun Sep 16, 2012 22:12

From 3m topic to Rubenwardy wrote:3m requires short one-line description instead of the HTML or BB or WHATEVERcode (I created e. g. SMPBNS Code that looks identically for my SMPBNS project). Keep in mind that it is a commandline program and it won' t parse the code in description. Also - because of modinfo format, the [] are PART OF THIS FORMAT and obviously are not allowed elsewhere. And one more thing - 3m reads only one line of the description, descriptions with more lines are treated as not in the right format (because they are). From your database only my TestModPh and the item_drop were parsed successfully. The other ones - failed. I recommend separating the "Description" and the (proposed by me) new field "Overwiew". Description should be short, one-lined. Overwiew will be in this code of yours and can be displayed as HTML.

Please take it into account. I will not change the parser in this way, because it would need a completely new code... Much less work for you than for me to resolve the conflict.
---
Posted by Phitherek_

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:28

0.3 is released!

The mod forum is old (and developed) enough to be called 0.3

Phitherek_

by Phitherek_ » Mon Sep 17, 2012 20:12

Ok, now I can finally say it - the Mod Forum / Browser is fully compatible with my 3m Minetest Mod Manager!

Rubenwardy, thanks for cooperation :).
Last edited by Phitherek_ on Mon Sep 17, 2012 20:13, edited 1 time in total.
---
Posted by Phitherek_

Jeija

by Jeija » Tue Sep 18, 2012 17:50

Very first version of my redesigned UI for the mod forum. What do you think about it?
Should I continue it or not? I will upload it if you like it, be patient.

(I would certainly add some pictures or so instead of these stupid blue header&footer + a some more minetestish background)
Last edited by Jeija on Tue Sep 18, 2012 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Tue Sep 18, 2012 18:33

Jeija wrote:Image

Very first version of my redesigned UI for the mod forum. What do you think about it?
Should I continue it or not? I will upload it if you like it, be patient.

(I would certainly add some pictures or so instead of these stupid blue header&footer + a some more minetestish background)

That looks like Windows 8 Metro.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

Jeija

by Jeija » Tue Sep 18, 2012 19:29

indeed, thats what i wanted to make it look like. i also thought tiles look a little blocky.
Last edited by Jeija on Tue Sep 18, 2012 19:30, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to Minetest-Related