[Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.8.2]/[2.2.0]

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.8.0]

by Wuzzy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 22:56

Okay, I have made a quick test with a fresh build of Minetest.

It seems to work so far and the lighting is correct, too. Thanks for taking your time again. There is still one problem remaining:
One of the entities does not spawn when loading the world.

+ Spoiler

+ Spoiler

If you manage to fix this problem, I think I will just pull in your changes into the Tutorial. If not, I might try to work it out on my own, but don't expect too much. xD

When I release version 1.9.0, I will keep version 1.8.0 around for a while for compability reasons, since you said that your changes are incompatible with Minetest 0.4.13.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

sofar

GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Sat Jan 09, 2016 05:50

wuzzy

I spotted this:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
./games/tutorial/mods/default/textures/default_dirt.png: PNG image data, 16 x 16, 8-bit/color RGB, interlaced

Can you convert this to non-interlaced? It may give some irrlicht versions problems rendering.

mine_el

by mine_el » Fri Jan 15, 2016 18:16

How do i change the language from English to another translated language (e.g. German)?

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 21:52

mine_el:
Currently, only English and German are available, other languages are not available or only partially translated.

First, try to set your system language to the desired language first. If this does not work, you can modify minetest.conf, the Minetest configuration file.

On GNU/Linux and Mac OS X you find this file in $HOME/.minetest/minetest.conf. On Windows it is in <Your Minetest folder>/minetest.conf.

Open this file with a text editor and search for the line starting with “language”. If it is present, change it to “language = <code>”. Replace “<code>” with the language code. For German it is “de”.
If the line is not present, you have to add it. Example for German:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
language = de

This changes the language of Minetest to German and (hopefully) for Tutorial as well.

At all others:
Be assured I still read your posts. I am currently just not in the mood to update Tutorial. Hopefully I'll do it sooner or later.

mine_el

by mine_el » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:49

Thank you Wuzzy, editing the configuration file worked.

BBmine

GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Mon Jan 18, 2016 21:22

+1

I wish I had this when I first started Minetest!
God's not dead!
I actually did mine walls before I started playing this game....
Mods, Servers, and My Youtube Channel
Let us remember Just Test on April 16.
"Together, we will make America great again!" --President Trump
Please vote for the next video I should do here
I'm the most rottenist potato in the fridge.
Copyright (c) 2017 Baggins Inc. (tm) All rights reserved.

mine_el

by mine_el » Tue Jan 26, 2016 18:44

Here is a rough but complete greek translation of the tutorial.

In order to use it:

1. Install the tutorial.
2. Edit minetest.conf and add the following line:
language = el

2. Unzip the attached file (requires 7zip). This creates into a "mods" folder.
3. Copy-paste the above folder into YourMinetestFolder/games/tutorial.
Attachments
mods.7z
(410.75 KiB) Downloaded 192 times

Wuzzy

Version 1.8.1 released! Version 2.0.0 released!

by Wuzzy » Sat Feb 13, 2016 22:16

Tutorial updates released!
Download links in first post.

I have split the Tutorial for now into two versions. The current recommended version for newbies is 1.8.1, you can safely ignore other versions (for now).

Changelog for 1.8.1 (for Minetest 0.4.13):
  • Dutch translation (thanks!)
  • Partial Greek translation (thanks!)
  • Fix bad texture problem reported by sofar
  • Other bugfixes for bugs introduced by Minetest 0.4.13

The Greek translation by mine_el is not complete or has mistakes. There are some signs and strings which appear untranslated in the game. I leave it in the responsibility to mine_el to fix this.

Perhaps more interestingly for developers, I simutanously release version 2.0.0. I don't recommend this version to newbies because it is “impossible” to set up right now. This is intended as a preview (but it is still 100% usable) for next Minetest version and perhaps even more “ready” to be included into Minetest than previous versions. This version only works with the latest developer version Minetest. The biggest change is that it merges world and subgame to save disk space. And it works, the compressed archive requires only ca. 0.797 MiB of disk space! There is no world bundled anymore. You have to first generate the world by clicking “new”. Sorry for the hassle, but I do this to hopefully make things easiers to developers, should they ever decide to ship Tutorial with Minetest.

Changelog for 2.0.0:
  • All the changes in 1.8.1 (but new translations are outdated again, except German)
  • Added minimap explanation (at the end of the jumping section)
  • Added explanation of Cinematic Mode (in spawn room)
  • Added brief explanation of listrings (shift-click in inventory) (in smelting section)
  • Added demonstration of bouncy blocks (in special blocks section)
  • The crafting section now has nice pictures hanging on the wall, showing examples of crafting
  • Update some texts which have become outdated for 0.4.13
  • Short simple helper texts in main menu. They are temporary until a better solution has been found.
  • Tutorial World and Tutorial subgame got merged. The Tutorial World is now automatically generated when you create a new world. Huge thanks to Ferk! (I have also managed to fix all issues I had with Ferk's code before)
  • Bugfixes of bugs introduced by Minetest 0.4.13
  • Bugfix: When your first spawn with Creative Mode enabled, you spawned in the death tower, instead of the spawn room

Screenshot of crafting example:

(Note about version numbering scheme: first number = major architectual changes. second number = new features. third number: bugfixes and/or translation updates only)

Sadly, radar does not seem to work at all for Tutorial World. Everything is fully green, no matter which height. These are bad conditions to teach some radar examples like in a maze which has been suggested previously. So all I can do is write some theory and encourage the player to try it out in a subgame. :-/

+ Information for translators

Wuzzy

Version 1.8.2 released! Version 2.0.1 released!

by Wuzzy » Sun Feb 14, 2016 13:11

Minor bugfix update, versions 1.8.2 and 2.0.1 are released today.

This (hopefully) fixes issues with the language not being set correctly on Windows systems (for both versions). This is the only change.
Attachments
tutorial2.0.1.zip
(816.55 KiB) Downloaded 264 times

sofar

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.8.2]/[2.0.1]

by sofar » Mon Feb 15, 2016 00:32

Could you change this subgame such that it overrides the mapgen, copies the tutorial world mapblocks from a schematic and then spawns the player in it? You obviously want to force mapgen to singlenode as well.

This will help with the problem of having need to both the map and the subgame, and you could distribute this as a single subgame only.

sofar

by sofar » Mon Feb 15, 2016 01:01

sofar wrote:Could you change this subgame such that it overrides the mapgen, copies the tutorial world mapblocks from a schematic and then spawns the player in it? You obviously want to force mapgen to singlenode as well.

This will help with the problem of having need to both the map and the subgame, and you could distribute this as a single subgame only.

oy, I should have totally read the 2.0 release notes... lol

addi

by addi » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:51

If I try to git-clone http://repo.or.cz/w/minetest_tutorial_subgame.git I get the following error message:
also access this link via browser its horrible slowly.

Is there an alternative git link?
Attachments
tutorial_error.PNG
tutorial_error.PNG (31.76 KiB) Viewed 7285 times

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 18:10

This URL leads to a webpage, not a git repository. The repository URLs are listed on the webpage itself.

addi

by addi » Thu Feb 25, 2016 18:37

ahh that \w\ made the difference. the odd thing is http://repo.or.cz/minetest_tutorial_subgame.git also leads to the website but its a correct git repo too O.o
thanks.

addi

by addi » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:34

In the Pointing section sign 2 tells me, there should somewhere lay a special tool to reach the apples. I cannot find it. Does it realy exist? Im using the git version from branch mapgen.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:02

Yes, it exists. It is on one of the table in the same section, in front of the “Pointing (2)” sign. It is called “apple snatcher”.
I thought the sign was pretty unambigious on that. :-(
If there is nothing on the table you may have already collected it or something.
If not, restart the Tutorial by deleting the world and creating a new one and playing that one. Remember that from version 2.0.0 onward you can't use Tutorial World from previous versions anymore, you have to *create* the world first.

addi

by addi » Fri Feb 26, 2016 16:42

Sorry, I created three times a new tutorial world, but there was never a apple snatcher on the tables :-(
The Minetest version is the very latest, built this morning.
empty_tables.PNG
empty_tables.PNG (389.8 KiB) Viewed 7285 times

edit: the table to the entry of the Item, Tools crafting, smelting house is also empty.
But all in all the tutorial is really great :)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 03:05

Oops, you are right. Entities do not spawn anymore except near the player spawn. :(

It must have happened with a new Minetest commit, maybe there was some change which broke the tutorial again.
Also, I noticed some other issues. It seems there is still work to do. xD

Anyways, you are playing the developer version, expeect bugs.
You can always play the tutorial of the 1 series (1.8.2 currently) on Minetest 0.4.13.

addi

by addi » Sat Feb 27, 2016 03:10

Its not about myself to play it, its because I want to share tutorial within my installer builds. But as long as it does not work correctly ill not put it into the installer.

Wuzzy

Developer release 2.1.0

by Wuzzy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 01:38

I release the developer version 2.1.0 of the tutorial today to fix some bugs seen in the developer version of Minetest. Remember: This version is for the developer version of Minetest only! The current recommended Tutorial version for newbies is currently still 1.8.2 (because you are not a newbie if you just compiled Minetest ;-) ). Changelog:

• Clone creative inventory from Minetest Game
  • Use 16×16 textures for all items
  • Tutorial now can be played with mod security enabled.
  • Commands to save tutorial map and entities are disabled when tutorial is not trusted
  • Fix broken water textures
  • Clean up bad overlappings in formspecs; texts should now work in small resolutions as well
  • Minor refactoring and textures cleanup

There is is now an issue that prevents saving the map even if the tutorial mod is trusted. I need to save a schematic with minetest.save_schematic, but Minetest complains that I may not save in the mod folder since this function takes a file name. So I used minetest.request_insecure_environment but it seems this does NOT return any function from the minetest table. I get stuff like os but not minetest.
It seems the problem here is that minetest.request_insecure_environment does not give me a table with the minetest functions like minetest.save_schematic. IMO minetest.request_insecure_environment must also give access to “insecure” minetest functions, otherwise it is pretty limited. I guess there's an issue for that already.
Because of this, this is an issue I can not fix as long the insecure environment is incomplete.
However, this bug is not serious since it does not break playing the tutorial.

Sadly, I did not manage to fix the bug regarding missing items. I have no idea why it is broken and I might need some help here.
I have already looked into the mapgen code. The problem seems to lie somehow around the load_entities_area function.
I tested if the function at least reaches the minetest.add_item function. It does so for all items! This means the cause does probably not lie in incorrectly chosen bounding boxes or something like that.
I also tested the return value of this, it was always non-nil, so it must be correct (hopefully).
So Minetest returns a non-nil item for all added items, yet some of them do not actually appear in the world!

Also I made an observation: Items near the spawn appear, but not items far away from the spawn. There seems to be a “cut” in the Z axis from which the items do not appear anymore. The strange thing is, why did it stop working with the new Minetest? I have the feeling that this bug is not caused by Tutorial, but I can't know for sure.

At least I have figured out a hack that adding the items with a 5-second delay would work. But I did not commit this, because this is a very bad hack and it is likely to be unreliable.
If someone wants to try to debug it, here's the relevant mapgen source code (as of now):
http://repo.or.cz/minetest_tutorial_sub ... mapgen.lua

I hope I have given you enough information for the brave people who want to debug this. :-)

Lastly, a few weeks ago I have officially posted an issue on GitHub to add the tutorial to Minetest.
It's has been a heated debate so far, read more here:
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/3778
Attachments
tutorial2.1.0.zip
(760.27 KiB) Downloaded 681 times

cesarpachon

GitHub: cesarpachon
IRC: hydalgo
In-game: hydalgo

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.8.2]/[2.1.0]

by cesarpachon » Thu Apr 28, 2016 14:54

hi! having lot of fun learning how you implemented this nice mod! now I am trying to modify the castle, but I can't figure out how to remove the protection of the nodes. I already changed in all the mods the immortal group from 1 to nil, but it seems not having effect neither with existing nor new blocks (I can't destroy them). may you explain me what additional mechanism is involved in the protection of the nodes?
(PD. just read the github issue and can't resist to comment there..)
just a digital hermit
http://www.cesarpachon.com

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Thu Apr 28, 2016 15:14

cesarpachon - Try removing the immortal group.

I read your comment on github. Totally agree with you. The end user should be the focus for any project. No matter how well you make a game if it isn't what people want then it will fail. One issue with Minetest is there is a lot of different things to learn. Trial and error is a great way to frustrate users. A tutorial like this is the answer for getting new players and keeping them.

Wuzzy - Keep up the great work! You seem to have a great understanding of what players need.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 19:01

cesarpachon: Most blocks in Tutorial World are indestructible by normal means. When I need to edit the world, I use a mod called “admin_tools” (or so) which contains a special tool which is able to remove any node.

About the groups:
Removing immortal or setting it to nil won't work in most cases. There is no “protection” in itself on the node, it's really just using the groups system. For a block to be minable at all, it also needs to be one of the group of your digging tools. For the hand, that would be oddly_breakable_by_hand. If you just remove immortal for, let's say, reinforced wall, it still needs at least one group of your mining tool.

Maybe I can make it more straightforward to remove blocks in Creative Mode in the following Tutorial, the current solution was mostly just made for me.

Godo

In-game: Godo

Translation for Spanish

by Godo » Mon May 02, 2016 07:04

Hi, Wuzzy, pleased to meet you at last (it has taken me two days to find a computer whose IP was not registered as a spammer, which seems to be the case with my home PC, and to find a question that I can answer to get past the anti-robot bouncer).

I am what you are looking for: a total newbie (I don't even know yet what the name of a player in multiplayer mode is, I just found out that the version after 1.0.10 is 1.0.11 or something like that, and I still have doubts about whether roses have spines), who had no idea how Minetest (or Minecraft, for that matter) worked, and who is willing to provide you with feedback about your amazing tutorial.

First things first: congratulations on a subperb idea flawlessly carried out. I doubt I will ever be able to craft something as beautiful and useful as your tutorial. I haven't got past the first corner yet, but just by translating it into Spanish I have learned an awful lot about how Minetest works. If there ever is an official tutorial I hope it is based on yours.

As for feedback, I disagree with some comments I came across regarding too long explanations. They are exactly what I was looking for! There is some very useful help in the wiki (http://wiki.minetest.net/How_to_build_your_first_house), but it does not give as much basic information as your tutorial, and in fact the first time I tried to follow those instructions I ended up in really deep water, both metaphorically and literally (there must be a corpse out there somewhere).

As for suggestions for improvement, and taking into account that I still haven't really explored your tutorial, I miss two things: one explanation about whether it is possible to crawl along a tunnel which is less than 2 blocks high, which I think I can't do, and some information about where to find recipes for crafting things, as well as a more obvious (for you, not for a genuine newbie like me) explanation about where to mine for raw materials. That is the one thing which I think it is not possible to do in your tutorial, apart from getting out of the castle, isn't it?

Below is a link where you can download my translation from. I hereby give you the right to include it in your distribution so that it is available for anyone who needs it. I am not sure about a few terms yet, but it is legible and grammatically correct. By the way, I would include in the template.txt file which is supposed to facilitate new translations a warning about not changing anything in the original English text, because I did, and it took me quite a while to find out why it wasn't working.

I found a couple of mistakes in the signs (that's why I had changed some things), like a mention to 13 gold coins instead of 14, or the other way round, I can't remember now).

One other thing: "dough" is the English word for a mixture of flour and water, I think in your tutorial you mention that you can craft dough into bread, but unless you have previously had to mix the flour and water, maybe you need to change that word (we would not have these problems if we could mine for potatoes in Minetest, they need only be put into an oven for a while, and also they are more nutritious than cereal). I am surprised no one seems to have thought of this, given that potatoes grow underground, probably there weren't any Irish people in the developers team.
Attachments
tutorial_es.zip
Spanish translation of the Tutorial World
(27.93 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
Last edited by Godo on Tue Jun 28, 2016 19:18, edited 4 times in total.

wilkgr76

GitHub: wilkgr76
IRC: wilkgr
In-game: wilkgr

by wilkgr76 » Thu May 19, 2016 04:25

Shift-clicking within the inventory? i.e. shift-clicking to/from chests/furnaces/crafting grid/etc.

Does that exist in the tutorial?
Last edited by wilkgr76 on Mon May 23, 2016 00:47, edited 1 time in total.
I do not care.

Wuzzy

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [2.1.0]

by Wuzzy » Sun May 22, 2016 21:57

Godo, your comments are appreciated, I will consider that for follow-up versions.

For your two questions:
- Yes, it is not possible to crawl. The player is always about 2 blocks high, and you can not fit through a 1×1×1 hole
- Where to find crafitng recipes: Sadly, there is no built-in mechanic to obtain those crafting recipes. It depends on the subgame. Minetest's crafting mechanic is (in my opinion) a huge pile of shit and an usability desaster.
For Minetest Game, you can find all crafting recipes in the Community Wiki. Yeah, I know, it sucks that you have to look in a wiki in the first place. Alternatively, there are many crafting guide mods out there, just search the forums. If you install one of them, it allows you to see all available crafting recipes in-game. That something like this is not a core feature is beyond belief for me.

Also, the gold bar count issue is already fixed in the development version.

I am glad to hear that the Tutorial worked on a newbie. I have waited for a review by a newbie. Other reviews are of course appreciated as well, especially from newbies.

Thanks for your translation, but sadly I came too late and the files are already lost.
You can upload your translations by using “Upload attachment” while posting. Ideally you just put everything into a Zip file.

Godo

by Godo » Mon May 23, 2016 16:56

Thanks for the tip about attaching files, I was using the "quick reply" option so far, so I had not seen the "upload attachment" option. Here goes the translation for Spanish, and I'll be glad to help you out if you add more things to your tutorial, my kids and I had a great time taking turns to play with it, looking for all the hidden gold.

I've already found one of the crafting guides you mentioned, so that's solved, thanks for the tip, too.

I have a silly question about the pools with the different liquids. Is there a way to know which one is what? We noticed that some were thicker than others (they had more viscosity), but I have no idea what they could be (quicksand? mud? oil?)
Attachments
tutorial_es.zip
Spanish translation for Tutorial World
(27.93 KiB) Downloaded 143 times

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Mon May 23, 2016 17:44

The pools contain mud and water, but it really doesn't matter as those are just examples.

The easiest way to learn the viscosity of a liquid is by walking into it. Slow speed means high viscosity.

There is no built-in way to get the name of a block you haven't collected, sorry.

The gold was not supposed to be hidden, I hope it was not too hard to get all of them.

I also try to include the new translation as soon as possible. Also, I should release a new version of the tutorial for Minetest 0.4.14 sooner or later. Sadly, Tutorial version 2.1.0 is broken at the moment, so it is still not official. This means, version 1.8.2 is still the official one.

Godo

Disappearing items

by Godo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 16:15

Hi again, Wuzzy. As you know, I am rather new here, but after using your wonderful tutorial I have decided I enjoy more the didactic work than the creative one, so I am writing a tutorial that will teach newbies, after they have learned the basics of Minetest in your tutorial, how to craft basic tools, build a house with a minimum of tools, use basic commands and install a couple of mods which I have found useful.

My problem is that I want to drop certain items (gold ingots, sticks,...) to be found or point out to certain places, but after they have been lying around for some time, they disappear.

I was beginning to suspect it might be because I am switching from creative mode (to craft books with explanations, mainly) to non-creative mode (to test how things work). Then I read in one of your first posts in this thread that you had had the same problem as me, so I have two questions:

1. Do you know if this switching between modes could be the reason for the disappearing items?
2. How did you solve this problem in your tutorial?

(Thank you so much for all the time and effort that goes into answering my questions, by the way ;-)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 01:25

Items disappear automatically after a while, this is done for technical reasons. If item entities would not be removed from time to time, the Minetest world would soon be crowded with them so there may be an performance impact after a while. At least that's the theory. It has nothing to do with switching modes.

But this behavior can be disabled by adding this into minetest.conf:

item_entity_ttl = -1

Note: From now on, I will ignore all general support queries (stuff which is not related to the Tutorial) in this thread. Please use the general support forums for this.

PreviousNext

Return to Subgame Releases