[Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.8.2]/[2.2.0]

Esteban

GitHub: Esteban-
IRC: Esteban
In-game: Esteban

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.3.0]

by Esteban » Mon Oct 06, 2014 15:34

MaxPower wrote:Still think the world should be generated automatically rather than expecting the user to copy it in the game folder, that way the player could create a new Tutorial game from fresh, or carry on an already started one

That is the main idea of this. But in order for that to happen, it has to be included in the game. You can vote it to be added here: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9116

MaxPower

by MaxPower » Mon Oct 06, 2014 15:58

Esteban wrote:That is the main idea of this. But in order for that to happen, it has to be included in the game. You can vote it to be added here: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9116

Regardless if Tutorial game is shipped with minetest by default or not, the world should still be generated from mod/game rather than too ship it with game.

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 16:52

But this would make it much harder for me to edit the world!
How do you think I or anyone else should now edit the world then?
For every change I want to make to the world, I would have it to extract to it from the subgame, install it as an actual world, edit it in Minetest and when I am finished I have to put the updated world back into the subgame again and clean up my worlds folder.
Additionally, the subgame now would have to distinguish when the player loads an existing world and when the player starts a new one. I don’t think Minetest provides any means for that now. At all.

This solution is way too complicated, it is astonishing.

Still think the world should be generated automatically rather than expecting the user to copy it in the game folder, that way the player could create a new Tutorial game from fresh, or carry on an already started one

I already said it many times: I am unwilling to change the architecture of the tutorial, since I am still convinced that the subgame+world architecture I chose is the most straight-forward and simplest to choose from. The reason for this is because I expect this tutorial to be bundled with Minetest.
This tutorial would be useless if it weren’t bundled with Minetest, as by the time the users are ready to handle worlds and subgames, they probably already know Minetest pretty well.
And I do not expect from the user to manually copy anything, I am expecting from Minetest to do all the work behind the stages.

Also, I have to stress another important fact: The tutorial should be started only under the following conditions:
  • Creative mode is off
  • Singleplayer mode is used
  • Damage is on

If the settings differ, the tutorial does not work.

But the user can freely maniplate all 3 parameters. Treating the subgame Tutorial World as a world like any other subgame and world carries the problem that it lies in the responsibility of the user to start Tutorial World. However, as soon as Minetest does some integration work for the Tutorial, which may also include changes to the the main menu, all these problems can be solved. The other suggested “solutions” all fail to account for this, another reason why I reject them.

If the discussion about how to integrate the tutorial with Minetest doesn’t stop, I strongly suggest to use a seperate thread for this. I want to have this thread only about the tutorial itself. Maybe I would post my concrete ideas on how to integrate the tutorial into Minetest later.

And @addi: As I have feared: Your Tutorial World fork is broken. My console gets flooded with error messages about missing textures. So much for how easy it is. No, it’s not.

Wuzzy

1.4.0 released

by Wuzzy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 02:57

Hi! Today I release version 1.4.0. This version includes a full and tested German translation. And a partial French translation (thanks, Calinou).
I will soon open a German thread to announce this, too.

Sadly, the French translation does not work. Every string which contains an accented character like “é” will cause Minetest to show “<invalid multibyte string>”. I included the texts anyways to make progress easier. I don’t think I can do anything about it, because Minetest still does not have actual UTF-8 support. :-(

I made a tiny change to a translation template; I removed a newline from the sign text “basic_end”. This should not invalidate any existing translations. (I edited the French template for that as well).

That’s all what changed. I guess for the next update I’ll edit some source texts slightly because I have spotted some factual mistakes in them.

Esteban

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.4.0]

by Esteban » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:23

Do you have plans on adding a spanish translation?

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:38

Esteban wrote:Do you have plans on adding a spanish translation?

Go on, create it. I guess Wuzzy does not speak all languages.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Esteban

by Esteban » Tue Oct 07, 2014 15:09

Krock wrote:
Esteban wrote:Do you have plans on adding a spanish translation?

Go on, create it. I guess Wuzzy does not speak all languages.

Okay! I will! :D
P.S. made a github account, yay!
edit:typos
Last edited by Esteban on Tue Oct 07, 2014 19:12, edited 1 time in total.

Wuzzy

Bugfix release 1.4.1

by Wuzzy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 18:59

@Esteban: What is a “git account”?

I make a bugfix release: 1.4.1. Someone in the German thread reported a lot of error messages produced by the tutorial. I realized I had a lot of old rusty code in the default game, which is now deleted. I hope this version should fix it and get rid of those error messages.

Esteban

Re: Bugfix release 1.4.1

by Esteban » Tue Oct 07, 2014 19:11

Wuzzy wrote:@Esteban: What is a “git account”?

Oops! I meant github account :P

Wuzzy

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.4.1]

by Wuzzy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 23:13

My thoughts on how to integrate the tutorial into Minetest are online: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10312

srifqi

GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Wed Oct 08, 2014 05:52

Here for Indonesian.
https://github.com/srifqi/tutorial-locale-id
tutorial mod: partly done
I'm from Indonesia! Saya dari Indonesia!
Terjemahkan Minetest!
Mods by me. Modifikasi oleh saya.

Pronounce my nick as in: es-rifqi (IPA: /es rifˈki/)

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Wed Oct 08, 2014 21:40

Moved.

Wuzzy

Release of 1.5.0

by Wuzzy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 01:11

Version 1.5.0 is there!
Changelog:
  • Extended the sneaking section: It know includes very brief instructions on how to jump higher by jumping while sneaking.
  • Added incomplete Indonesian translation
  • Fixed a few factual mistakes and typos in original strings. All templates (including those in the translations) have been updated, don’t worry.

List of sign text changes:
  • sneak: added comma after “liquid”
  • liquidtypes: “To the left” → “To the right”
  • build: Added missing quotation mark
  • items: “ledge” → “table”
  • furnace: “ome fuels” → “Some fuels”
  • death: just comma fixes
  • basic_end: “ and won't give you anything special” → (deleted)
  • tools: “are innumerable” → “is innumerable”
Last edited by Wuzzy on Sat Nov 01, 2014 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

napodan

GitHub: napodan

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.5.0]

by napodan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 21:02

You have made a great job. I've just finished your tutorial and I learned a lot with it.

Wuzzy

Version 1.6.0 released!

by Wuzzy » Sat Nov 01, 2014 23:17

Version 1.6.0 of my tutorial is there! This update has a couple of small changes and tweaks. Nothing too exciting.

Changelog:
  • Reworked the sneaking section (see screenshot)
  • Add sign in building section explaining how to build to usable blocks ([shift] + [right-click])
  • A cup now shows an info text when you point it, it explains why the cup has been awarded
  • Teleporting also sets viewing pitch and yaw accordingly (i.e. you’ll look to the cups when teleporting to the good-bye room)
  • New menu icon
  • Bug fix: Removed faulty crafting recipes
  • Bug fix: Player now start with 10 hearts again (accidentally were 9.5)
Attachments
tutorial1.6.0.zip
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 290 times

srifqi

GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.6.0]

by srifqi » Tue Nov 04, 2014 14:46

Update Indonesian Language!
Only change a little bit. Still not completed. :(
Hope I have many spare time!
https://github.com/srifqi/tutorial-loca ... master.zip
I'm from Indonesia! Saya dari Indonesia!
Terjemahkan Minetest!
Mods by me. Modifikasi oleh saya.

Pronounce my nick as in: es-rifqi (IPA: /es rifˈki/)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 14:46

Thanks. I have already uploaded your changes to the Git repository. But I will only make a new release (1.7.0) if there are either a couple of other updates in other areas or if someone finishes the Indonesian translation.

As a reminder, here’s the Git repository project page of the subgame:
http://repo.or.cz/w/minetest_tutorial_subgame.git

Yvan

IRC: Yvan
In-game: Yvan

by Yvan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 18:24

I've tested it, very nice for the new on Minetest. Good idea!
Ce qui se fait de grand se fait dans le silence...

nildayan

by nildayan » Mon Nov 24, 2014 00:44

Hi, I'm a new Minetest player and am very interested in a Tutorial. I installed Minetest 0.4.9 from the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS apt-get default repository, and I installed the mods with:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
sudo unzip tutorial1.6.0.zip -d /usr/share/games/minetest/

I checked, and that does put the files in the right locations under .../minetest/games/tutorial/ and .../minetest/worlds/Tutorial\ World/

I'm able to start minetest per normal -- no abnormal errors on startup. I can create a new Tutorial game just fine, and then get an error when I try to Play the game:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Darkage Tutorial Edition [darkage] has loaded!
18:25:58: ACTION[main]:         .__               __                   __   
18:25:58: ACTION[main]:   _____ |__| ____   _____/  |_  ____   _______/  |_
18:25:58: ACTION[main]:  /     \|  |/    \_/ __ \   __\/ __ \ /  ___/\   __\
18:25:58: ACTION[main]: |  Y Y  \  |   |  \  ___/|  | \  ___/ \___ \  |  | 
18:25:58: ACTION[main]: |__|_|  /__|___|  /\___  >__|  \___  >____  > |__| 
18:25:58: ACTION[main]:       \/        \/     \/          \/     \/       
18:25:58: ACTION[main]: World at [/home/nildayan/.minetest/worlds/Tutorial]
18:25:58: ACTION[main]: Server for gameid="tutorial" listening on port 51471.
18:25:58: ERROR[main]: ServerError: ...re/games/minetest/games/tutorial/mods/default/player.lua:146: attempt to call method 'set_local_animation' (a nil value)
18:25:58: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
18:25:58: ERROR[main]:    ...re/games/minetest/games/tutorial/mods/default/player.lua:146: in function <...re/games/minetest/games/tutorial/mods/default/player.lua:143>
18:25:58: ERROR[main]:    /usr/share/games/minetest/builtin/misc_register.lua:330: in function </usr/share/games/minetest/builtin/misc_register.lua:318>
Loaded texture: /usr/share/games/minetest/games/tutorial/menu/header.png

I've tried reinstalling the game and all mods from scratch, and I get the same error. Can I get a tutorial for installing and starting the Tutorial? ;-) Do I need to use a more current version of Minetest, and if so, could someone point me to a Q&D guide on getting it up and running?

Thank you for your work, and I really look forward to learning more about the game!

-- Nildayan

philipbenr

GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: WisdomFire or philipbenr

by philipbenr » Mon Nov 24, 2014 02:06

Judging by Wuzzy, you are going to have to update to latest Minetest. 0.4.10 works fine.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 03:59

Yes, 0.4.10 is required. You must update to 0.4.10, otherwise, the tutorial does not work.
Luckily, you can add a PPA for your Ubuntu installation, which might help you to install version 0.4.10. Here is the data:
https://code.launchpad.net/~minetestdev ... ntu/stable

Also: You don’t need to install the tutorial system-wide. You can just put it into $HOME/.minetest (where “$HOME” is your home directory). This is the preferred way, and Ubuntu gets really angry if you manually install files into /usr (based on my experience).

Oh, and I really hoped to include this tutorial to Minetest directly (without all that installation stuff), but the developers mostly ignored it so far. :-( I don’t know what’s wrong.

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Mon Nov 24, 2014 13:41

Nildayan, run the following script made by Callinou:
Calinou wrote:This is an 1-line script that downloads and compiles Minetest and minetest_game.

Just paste this in a terminal, type your password when it's required – this assumes you use sudo to use administrator commands (which is the default in Ubuntu/Mint), the password is required only once:

If you don't know which one to use, use the non-portable one: the portable one is meant to be put on an USB drive or similar to play on several PCs with only one installation.

For non-portable installs (puts user data in ~/.minetest):
sudo apt-get install git build-essential libirrlicht-dev libgettextpo0 libfreetype6-dev cmake libbz2-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg8-dev libxxf86vm-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libopenal-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libluajit-5.1-dev liblua5.1-0-dev libleveldb-dev; cd; git clone https://github.com/minetest/minetest.git; cd minetest/games; git clone https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game.git; cd ..; cmake . -DENABLE_GETTEXT=1 -DENABLE_FREETYPE=1 -DENABLE_LEVELDB=1; make -j$(grep -c processor /proc/cpuinfo); sudo make install; minetest; echo -e "\n\n\e[1;33mYou can run Minetest again by typing \"minetest\" in a terminal or selecting it in an applications menu.\nYou can install mods in ~/.minetest/mods, too.\e[0m"

For "portable" installs (puts user data in program data directory):
sudo apt-get install git build-essential libirrlicht-dev libgettextpo0 libfreetype6-dev cmake libbz2-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg8-dev libxxf86vm-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libopenal-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libluajit-5.1-dev liblua5.1-0-dev libleveldb-dev; cd; git clone https://github.com/minetest/minetest.git; cd minetest/games; git clone https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game.git; cd ..; cmake . -DRUN_IN_PLACE=1 -DENABLE_GETTEXT=1 -DENABLE_FREETYPE=1 -DENABLE_LEVELDB=1; make -j$(grep -c processor /proc/cpuinfo); cd ../bin; ./minetest; echo -e "\n\n\e[1;33mYou can run Minetest again by double-clicking \"minetest\" in the \"bin\" folder of the \"minetest\" folder in your home folder.\nYou can install mods in ~/minetest/mods, too.\e[0m"

This automatically runs Minetest when done and tells you the Minetest binary can be found in ~/minetest/bin.

nildayan

by nildayan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 01:50

Thank you, Inocudom, that one-liner did it exactly. All I had to do after installing that was doing an unzip of tutorial1.6.0.zip into ~/.minetest, and it came right up! Perfect!

Wuzzy, I'll add the PPA after I take the Tutorial for a spin -- that looks like a good way to stay up to date. Thanks for the doc! You have my vote for inclusion in the base package, since it can feel kind of like being dropped in a fjord to learn to sink or swim. At least there aren't any aggro mobs in vanilla...

You folks rock! :-)

celeron55

by celeron55 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 23:04

This seems to be broken. There are no entities at all while some of the signs clearly indicate that there should be.

I am running version 26cf98ccfc70909be916d29f0cc480f6929cbb08 of Minetest with tutorial stuff from tutorial1.6.0.zip.

A good example is here; I found nothing on the tables. This happens in a tutorial world loaded the first time, and on all following loads of the world too: (A full verbose log of me walking to the location of this screenshot is here: http://fpaste.org/154089/41695654/)

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Wed Nov 26, 2014 05:18

@c55: I believed that those are dropped items. They are 'cubed' and thus disappear after you exit. Wuzzy will have to use itemframes/pedestals to keep the the items actually there.

Edit: @Wuzzy: Did you get in contact with Dan Duncombe? I would like to talk to him, so I can change the license of castle+ to MIT or something better. I realize some things about GPL that I don't really like.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 14:47

Yes, those are dropped items (__builtin:item). And yes, on those tables there should be definitely item entities.

That’s weird, celeron55. I thought I already have solved the issue of not appearing or disappearing items.
I have created the tutorial completely in 0.4.10. And I assure you the items work in 0.4.10.

But I just tested it in ec5188a49a2ae5d69b8ab0df51ba1086b51e7891 and I was able to reproduce this weird behaviour.

I have searched your log for “__buildin:item” and “default:gold_ingot”. Messages like this appeared a couple of times:
01:00:16: INFO[ServerThread]: LuaEntitySAO::create(name="__builtin:item" state="return { ["itemstring"] = "default:gold_ingot", ["age"] = 1294.0020037125 }")

(such messages start at line 1784)
So the iteams certainly appear, I guess.

Beginning from line 2054, i found this:
01:00:26: VERBOSE[ServerThread]: ServerEnvironment::activateObjects(): activated static object pos=(98.9346,1.5212,61.9402) type=7
01:00:26: VERBOSE[ServerThread]: ServerEnvironment::addActiveObjectRaw(): Added id=19; there are now 2 active objects.
01:00:26: VERBOSE[ServerThread]: scriptapi_luaentity_add: id=19 name="__builtin:item"
01:00:26: VERBOSE[ServerThread]: scriptapi_luaentity_activate: id=19
01:00:26: VERBOSE[ServerThread]: virtual std::string LuaEntitySAO::getStaticData()
01:00:26: INFO[ServerThread]: collisionMoveSimple: WARNING: maximum step interval exceeded, lost movement details!
01:00:26: VERBOSE[ServerThread]: ObjectRef::l_remove(): id=19
01:00:26: VERBOSE[ServerThread]: scriptapi_luaentity_rm: id=19

I found similar messages in other places (but without the warning). It looks like the entities are removed shortly after they have been added. :(

I also made sure (I hope so!) that dropped items never disappear automatically by adding “item_entity_ttl = -1” (this was already there) to the minetest.conf in the the tutorial subgame. The item entities must not disappear by timeout under any circumstances (there are just a few dozens of dropped items in Tutorial World, so it should not be a performance issue).

I certainly do not want to use fancy mods like itemframes. I just want to have the builtin item entities readily available to be taken, like any other item entity. Adding fancy mods just adds noise and confusion.

Yes, I got in contact with Dan Dumcombe and I was allowed to distribute the Castle+ mod under any licence I want. I chose WTFPL.

I believed that those are dropped items. They are 'cubed' and thus disappear after you exit.

This does not make any sense. Why should the items disappear just because the items are “cubed”?

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:00

I don't know if this is a problem or not, but when I exited a world, and left it alone, all the dropped (or cubed as I called them at first... Habit :P ) items seemed to disappear. Still, I have only used itemframes since 0.4.9, so it doesn't really matter, but still...

If you could PM me a way to get in contact with him (DanD), that would be great. I tried PM-ing him a while ago, and he never got back to me.

leeminer

by leeminer » Sat Dec 13, 2014 08:31

I know I'm late to the party on this one but this tutorial is fun. I can't believe it's not bundled with the game.

It reminds me a bit like Halflife and it's training level. All that being said, why isn't there a separate forum just for those new to the game?

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sat Dec 13, 2014 09:07

Lol, the tutorial is like the training level of Half-Life? Oh, that’s a complete coincidence! I never played Half-Life.

I think the subforum “Bugs and Problems” would be the closest one for newbies:
viewforum.php?f=6

Oh, and I hope I can find a solution for the tutorial-breaking bug soon. I will make some more research on that.

Edit:
With help in IRC, I guess I have found the source of the problem reported by celeron55: I have set item_entity_ttl to -1 (meaning items shall not disappear) in the subgame’s minetest.conf. However, someone told me that in development version of Minetest reading this file does not work anymore. I have tested this and it is indeed true. This would explain the disappearing of items: Since Minetest fails to read minetest.conf, it uses the default value of item_entity_ttl, which is 900. I know that all item entities in Tutorial World are way older than 900 seconds, so Minetest immediately has removed them.

I have opened an issue, which is already tagged as “bug” by PilzAdam, here: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/1957

So I hope if this engine bug gets fixed, the tutorial items should work in development version again.

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Sat Dec 13, 2014 15:03

I hope this gets fixed. It will help new users very much. Great work Wuzzy!
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

PreviousNext

Return to Subgame Releases