[Game] Dwarves [dwarves] [github]

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Mon Jul 08, 2013 17:57

It seems like the darkage mod isn't used much anymore, which is a shame. It really is a good mod, and this game type uses it. Currently, addi maintains a branch of the darkage mod that is compatible with stairsplus of moreblocks. The link to the branch is in the post linked to below:
http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?pid=89330#p89330

Mito551

by Mito551 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 22:59

Inocudom wrote:It seems like the darkage mod isn't used much anymore, which is a shame. It really is a good mod, and this game type uses it. Currently, addi maintains a branch of the darkage mod that is compatible with stairsplus of moreblocks. The link to the branch is in the post linked to below:
http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?pid=89330#p89330

thanks for the notice! I don't think I'm gonna use official version anymore, but maintain my own. mostly because of the groups, which are different in my game (up to 7 of them)

ladyunicornejg

by ladyunicornejg » Thu Jul 11, 2013 23:39

Has anyone created a wiki or a guide for the this? I really like the game mode, but there's just so much to it...it'd be nice to have something to look up (search) recipies or find out more information about certain materials. Just a thought.

Also...

Texture errors:
Could not load image moreores_tools_mithrilsword.png while building textures
Could not load image shields_inv_shield_mithril.png while building textures
Could not load image inventory_plus_armor.png while building textures

Mods:
Crashes while trying to place an empty bag back in inventory. Tested replacing the bags mod with the current version, and it seemed to fix it (though the recipies are different)

Other (oddities?):
Wooden axe doesn't seem to work for chopping down trees - same speed as by hand and doesn't "use" the axe. Stone works.
Snow cannot be broken by hand or dug with a shovel
Game seems to "lag" while using a hand torch (not really sure what the right word would be. It doesn't appear to be a frame rate issue. Could just be my computer)
hand torch works as long as it's anywhere in the top bar, not only if it's held (not sure if this was intended)
Last edited by ladyunicornejg on Thu Jul 11, 2013 23:40, edited 1 time in total.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 08:48

ladyunicornejg wrote:Has anyone created a wiki or a guide for the this? I really like the game mode, but there's just so much to it...it'd be nice to have something to look up (search) recipies or find out more information about certain materials. Just a thought.

you could check out my channel to information given in form of letsplays. also, i'm pretty sure i included craft guide in the game.

ladyunicornejg wrote:Also...

Texture errors:
Could not load image shields_inv_shield_mithril.png while building textures

haven't got down to fixing it yet. sorry.
ladyunicornejg wrote:Mods:
Crashes while trying to place an empty bag back in inventory. Tested replacing the bags mod with the current version, and it seemed to fix it (though the recipies are different)

i was aware of the problem, but didn't know how to fix it! thanks! but could you please point me to the 'current version' you found?
ladyunicornejg wrote:Other (oddities?):
Wooden axe doesn't seem to work for chopping down trees - same speed as by hand and doesn't "use" the axe. Stone works.
Snow cannot be broken by hand or dug with a shovel
Game seems to "lag" while using a hand torch (not really sure what the right word would be. It doesn't appear to be a frame rate issue. Could just be my computer)
hand torch works as long as it's anywhere in the top bar, not only if it's held (not sure if this was intended)

yeah, i was thinking of getting rid of all the wooden tools except pickaxe.
ooops, thanks for pointing out. i'm pretty sure you can dig it with mese or adamantium shovel.
that's normal. it lags for me too when i use hand torch. i think it's because of the way it is written.
well, yeah. pretty much. that was intended.

Thank you for your feedback! I'll be fixing that stuff soon!
Last edited by Mito551 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 14:37, edited 1 time in total.

ladyunicornejg

by ladyunicornejg » Sat Jul 13, 2013 01:34

Mito551 wrote:you could check out my channel to information given in form of letsplays. also, i'm pretty sure i included craft guide in the game.

Yeah, you did. The particular craft guide doesn't seem to have a search option, though. Also sometimes it might be easier to search a material when it's found to see what all it can do, rather than having to find an item that I already know I want to make/use and then looking up how to get it. No big deal though, I'll probably just create my own as I go through the lets plays and files.

Mito551 wrote:
ladyunicornejg wrote:Mods:

i was aware of the problem, but didn't know how to fix it! thanks! but could you please point me to the 'current version' you found?

It appears I mispoke in regards to it being current. The file is from last year, but it did seem to fix the problem.
http://mods.minetest.ru/bags/bags.zip. It looks like the only difference (other than crafting recipies) is on line 79.

Mito551 wrote:ooops, thanks for pointing out. i'm pretty sure you can dig [snow] with mese or adamantium shovel.
Thank you for your feedback! I'll be fixing that stuff soon!

No problem. I noticed some other things last night (playing it as a local server):
- Pine tree leaves seem to be unbreakable as well (tried hand and stone axe). They do decay if the tree is cut down, but the way they grow that's difficult without breaking leaves.
- Sapplings (regular, haven't tried others) do not appear to be growing on their own)

The crafting area/workbench is also a bit off if it's anything but 3x3. I tried to post a screenshot but it wouldn't let me becaus it counted it as 2 links. Obviously the same for a link to the thread *and* download for bags.
Last edited by ladyunicornejg on Sat Jul 13, 2013 01:38, edited 1 time in total.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 03:52

Thank you very much! I know about inventory problem. dunnom how to fix it, though.
If you make a guide (if I understood your intentions correctly), that would be SO unspeakingly superb!

ladyunicornejg wrote:No problem. I noticed some other things last night (playing it as a local server):
- Pine tree leaves seem to be unbreakable as well (tried hand and stone axe). They do decay if the tree is cut down, but the way they grow that's difficult without breaking leaves.
- Sapplings (regular, haven't tried others) do not appear to be growing on their own)

Yeah, that's part of snow mod, so I fixed it locally already.
I didn't run into that problem. Just let me check, but I still don't know how would I fix it.

Topywo

by Topywo » Sat Jul 13, 2013 09:25

Afaik the dirt with grass in the dwarves default needs soil in it's group to allow sapplings to grow.

Link to a link:

http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?pid=97580#p97580

Mito551

by Mito551 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 14:07

Topywo wrote:Afaik the dirt with grass in the dwarves default needs soil in it's group to allow sapplings to grow.

Link to a link:

http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?pid=97580#p97580

oh duck! thank you!

ladyunicornejg

by ladyunicornejg » Sun Jul 14, 2013 18:59

Mito551 wrote:If you make a guide (if I understood your intentions correctly), that would be SO unspeakingly superb!

I intend to create a game guide or game wiki for it, but if I have the time/ambition and how good it turns out...is another story. I've never made or even worked on either before.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 21:32

ladyunicornejg wrote:
Mito551 wrote:If you make a guide (if I understood your intentions correctly), that would be SO unspeakingly superb!

I intend to create a game guide or game wiki for it, but if I have the time/ambition and how good it turns out...is another story. I've never made or even worked on either before.

well, whatever you say. but i'm ready to help. and did you update your dwarves? is it alright now?

ladyunicornejg

by ladyunicornejg » Sun Jul 14, 2013 23:32

Mito551 wrote:well, whatever you say. but i'm ready to help. and did you update your dwarves? is it alright now?

Hadn't noticed it was updated. Just updated it and checked, and from what I can tell

Fixed:
Bags
Trees growing
dirt with snow and snow blocks can be broken by hand
pine needles breakable by hand

Not fixed:
Images
Snow (piles on top of other things) cannot be broken by hand/stone shovel
Crafting

New/Newly noticed:
Wooden tool recipies still exist, but the items do not.
Screwdriver recipie exists in craft guide, but results in "item unknown" rather than a screwdriver when crafted. When thrown, error: "Item dwarves:knives_steel" not defined.
Christmas tree star stays in the air after the tree is gone
Sandstone slabs not breakable with stone pick (Stronger tool needed?)
Ladders only appear to be able to be placed on the ground - cannot place ladders up a wall.

Edited: Removed double post

Also a couple other things:
mods/darkage/init.lua
Sandstone cobble cooking recipie occurs twice
lines 418-422
lines 443-447

/mods/default/crafting.lua
Suggested removal - wood tools (crafting recipies)
Shovel - Lines 86-93
Axe - Lines 131-138
Sword - Lines 176-183
Last edited by ladyunicornejg on Mon Jul 15, 2013 04:53, edited 1 time in total.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 15:31

ladyunicornejg wrote:Not fixed:
Images
Snow (piles on top of other things) cannot be broken by hand/stone shovel
Crafting

what's the problem with crafting?
i'll look into that, must've overlooked
i don't have this image problem. can't help you with that, i'm afraid. can you expand on it further?
ladyunicornejg wrote:New/Newly noticed:
Wooden tool recipies still exist, but the items do not.
Screwdriver recipie exists in craft guide, but results in "item unknown" rather than a screwdriver when crafted. When thrown, error: "Item dwarves:knives_steel" not defined.
Christmas tree star stays in the air after the tree is gone
Sandstone slabs not breakable with stone pick (Stronger tool needed?)
Ladders only appear to be able to be placed on the ground - cannot place ladders up a wall.

alright, thank you for reporting, be fixing them shortly.

sorry I haven't replied, I was away in another country.

UPD.
I fixed most of the stuff.
Didn't have the sandstone bug.
ladders fixed, star should be falling.
removed recipes. daggers/screwdriver recipes fixed. now you use iron for screwdriver, steel for dagger.
Last edited by Mito551 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

ladyunicornejg

by ladyunicornejg » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:55

Mito551 wrote:what's the problem with crafting?

Crafting area/workbench...here

Mito551 wrote:i don't have this image problem. can't help you with that, i'm afraid. can you expand on it further?

ladyunicornejg wrote:Texture errors:

I haven't found the mithril sword image to rename (or point the script to the right place).
inventory_plus_armor.png is in 3d armor named inventory_plus_outfit.png

Mito551 wrote:alright, thank you for reporting, be fixing them shortly.

sorry I haven't replied, I was away in another country.

No problem. Hope you had a good trip. :)

Mito551

by Mito551 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:11

tell me about how you update... because it seems you're doing it the way that causes these troubles. (particularily, image ones). you have to remove previous version completely, then install/unpack the new, fresh one.

UPD.
tried to fix the crafting/inventory broblem. bug still occurs, but isn't as often.
Last edited by Mito551 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 18:27, edited 1 time in total.

ladyunicornejg

by ladyunicornejg » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:59

Mito551 wrote:tell me about how you update... because it seems you're doing it the way that causes these troubles. (particularily, image ones). you have to remove previous version completely, then install/unpack the new, fresh one.

How do I update it? Well I go to github, look through the changes, and download the whole repository, most of which contains the EXACT same files I'm already using. Then I extract the folder, remove "master" from the folder name, and I copy the entire folder back to my minetest/games directory. I then verify that I want it to overwrite the current files, thus replacing every same-named file with the most up-to-date copy.

To the best of my knowledge my method:
- Replaces any file that exists in both copies with the "new" version (even if it's actually reverting changes I may have made)
- Adds in any file that the master version had that mine did not
- Does not remove files I had that the repository did not.

The only difference is that there are (or at least might be) files that you deleted that I didn't. Since I do actually look at what has been changed, I would actually notice if a mod had been removed. If only part of a mod is being removed, that would be done by editing certain files (overwriting my old copy). None of the mods appear to be modpacks, so I don't even have to worry about that.

I'm in the habit of doing this instead of deleting and reinstalling for two reasons. First, it's actually simpler for me. It eliminates an unnecessary step (manually deleting the files, then additionally clearing them from the trash so two steps actually). Sure, it adds the step of looking through the changes, but I actually would do that anyway. Then it also allows me to make persistant changes more easily if I decide to - I can choose not to copy certain images I've changed (on a case by case basis, or by not copying image foldesrs), and I can compare and merge code to get updates/important changes while also keeping any changes I may make. This is actually something I intend to do in the future, even if only for some minor optimization (remove redundancy that's not necessary for me but might be needed to allow people to easily remove mods they don't want).

To be fair, I had renamed the image on my computer beforehand. I didn't look all the way through the repository or install a fresh copy with the latest version to test to see if it had been fixed a different way (as it had). I appologize for that, and I'll be sure to take that extra step in the future. In fact I'm already renaming the copy I use (via the game.conf file) so I can keep a clean/updated copy for such tests.

But now that being said, /mods/3d_armor/inventory_plus_outfit.png appears to be unnecessary but still exists in the repository
Even a clean copy has the issue with moreores_tools_mithrilsword.png
It's called in mods/more_armor/init.lua line 6. The file mentions overriding another version - does this sword even exist anymore? Or more accurately, is it craftable/legitimately obtainable?

Mito551

by Mito551 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:11

ladyunicornejg wrote:
Mito551 wrote:tell me about how you update... because it seems you're doing it the way that causes these troubles. (particularily, image ones). you have to remove previous version completely, then install/unpack the new, fresh one.

How do I update it? Well I go to github, look through the changes, and download the whole repository, most of which contains the EXACT same files I'm already using. Then I extract the folder, remove "master" from the folder name, and I copy the entire folder back to my minetest/games directory. I then verify that I want it to overwrite the current files, thus replacing every same-named file with the most up-to-date copy.

To the best of my knowledge my method:
- Replaces any file that exists in both copies with the "new" version (even if it's actually reverting changes I may have made)
- Adds in any file that the master version had that mine did not
- Does not remove files I had that the repository did not.

The only difference is that there are (or at least might be) files that you deleted that I didn't. Since I do actually look at what has been changed, I would actually notice if a mod had been removed. If only part of a mod is being removed, that would be done by editing certain files (overwriting my old copy). None of the mods appear to be modpacks, so I don't even have to worry about that.

I'm in the habit of doing this instead of deleting and reinstalling for two reasons. First, it's actually simpler for me. It eliminates an unnecessary step (manually deleting the files, then additionally clearing them from the trash so two steps actually). Sure, it adds the step of looking through the changes, but I actually would do that anyway. Then it also allows me to make persistant changes more easily if I decide to - I can choose not to copy certain images I've changed (on a case by case basis, or by not copying image foldesrs), and I can compare and merge code to get updates/important changes while also keeping any changes I may make. This is actually something I intend to do in the future, even if only for some minor optimization (remove redundancy that's not necessary for me but might be needed to allow people to easily remove mods they don't want).

To be fair, I had renamed the image on my computer beforehand. I didn't look all the way through the repository or install a fresh copy with the latest version to test to see if it had been fixed a different way (as it had). I appologize for that, and I'll be sure to take that extra step in the future. In fact I'm already renaming the copy I use (via the game.conf file) so I can keep a clean/updated copy for such tests.

But now that being said, /mods/3d_armor/inventory_plus_outfit.png appears to be unnecessary but still exists in the repository
Even a clean copy has the issue with moreores_tools_mithrilsword.png
It's called in mods/more_armor/init.lua line 6. The file mentions overriding another version - does this sword even exist anymore? Or more accurately, is it craftable/legitimately obtainable?

It's a pleasure helping you.

Pressing shift and delete at the same time enables you to delete the file completely, without going to trash bin (At least on windows PC). And, when dealing with games, not mods, it's unnecessary to remove "-master" thing.

No, there's no mithril_sword in game. Thanks for pointing that out, I couldn't find the file that would be looking for the texture.

UPD. Updated, removed this goddamn sword. Hope that takes care of that. ;)
Last edited by Mito551 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:15, edited 1 time in total.

ladyunicornejg

by ladyunicornejg » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:26

Mito551 wrote:It's a pleasure helping you.

Pressing shift and delete at the same time enables you to delete the file completely, without going to trash bin (At least on windows PC). And, when dealing with games, not mods, it's unnecessary to remove "-master" thing.

No, there's no mithril_sword in game. Thanks for pointing that out, I couldn't find the file that would be looking for the texture.

UPD. Updated, removed this goddamn sword. Hope that takes care of that. ;)

I'm not using Windows, but shift+del does work here too. I actually knew about it and at a couple other ways to remove all at once, but I deliberaately avoid getting into the habit of using them in general. It's easy to get in the habit of doing that while ignoring confirmations.

I noticed it's not necessary. Just means I don't have to rename the folder or anything else for the game I use, and can just leave "-master" on the end of the clean copy.

You're welcome, and it did appear to fix it.

ladyunicornejg

by ladyunicornejg » Wed Jul 24, 2013 02:43

Wood pick recipe appears to have been removed from the game, but without a pick you can't get the higher quality materials to make tools.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:37

ladyunicornejg wrote:Wood pick recipe appears to have been removed from the game, but without a pick you can't get the higher quality materials to make tools.

Thank you, I am a goddamn idiot! Be fixing it as soon as possible.

UPD. Fixed, I hope.
Last edited by Mito551 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

THEGGABOOK77

by THEGGABOOK77 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 17:39

Good !!
190.31.223.213 : 30000 Is my Modern House server (Creative) And Totally Free
Join Now!
My Stuff
MY MODS: City Elements-Funny Signs

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 18:31

Awsome game. I have been playing for a while and i am always finding new stuff. Good job!!
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Mito551

by Mito551 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 15:00

jojoa1997 wrote:Awsome game. I have been playing for a while and i am always finding new stuff. Good job!!

Thank you! I am glad you like it. if you have any suggestions..?

Mito551

by Mito551 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 15:04

THEGGABOOK77 wrote:Good !!

Yay!

lordawe

by lordawe » Tue Aug 06, 2013 17:11

great game!
but i have these errors:

Could not open file of texture: boat.png
Loaded mesh: boat.x
Could not open file of texture: cart.png
Loaded mesh: cart.x
Loaded mesh: character.x
PNG warning: Interlace handling should be turned on when using png_read_image
Loaded mesh: mobs_dungeon_master.x
Could not open file of texture: oerkki.png
Loaded mesh: mobs_oerkki.x
Could not open file of texture: UV_rat.png
Loaded mesh: mobs_rat.x
Loaded mesh: mobs_sand_monster.x
Could not open file of texture: sheep.png

Thank you.

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Tue Aug 06, 2013 19:27

lordawe wrote:great game!
but i have these errors:

Could not open file of texture: boat.png
Loaded mesh: boat.x
Could not open file of texture: cart.png
Loaded mesh: cart.x
Loaded mesh: character.x
PNG warning: Interlace handling should be turned on when using png_read_image
Loaded mesh: mobs_dungeon_master.x
Could not open file of texture: oerkki.png
Loaded mesh: mobs_oerkki.x
Could not open file of texture: UV_rat.png
Loaded mesh: mobs_rat.x
Loaded mesh: mobs_sand_monster.x
Could not open file of texture: sheep.png

Thank you.

That arent really errors, just ignore it.

Honeynuttsg

by Honeynuttsg » Sun Aug 18, 2013 19:53

AWESOME game! :) Though I'm wondering, does anyone know of any 3d mobs mods that can be added to this? (other than the zombies mod)

Mito551

by Mito551 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 20:32

Honeynuttsg wrote:AWESOME game! :) Though I'm wondering, does anyone know of any 3d mobs mods that can be added to this? (other than the zombies mod)

there is a 3d mob mod - simple mobs. the spawn chance is quite low, though.

geralddizon15

by geralddizon15 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 08:00

how to download this

Mito551

by Mito551 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 14:40

geralddizon15 wrote:how to download this

confusing github, eh?
https://github.com/mito551/dwarves_game/archive/master.zip

Mito551

by Mito551 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 22:05

I shall just leaveth this here.
Last edited by Mito551 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 22:06, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Subgame Releases