[Game] Voxelgarden [git]

eduardomezencio

GitHub: eduardomezencio

Re: [Game] Voxelgarden [git]

by eduardomezencio » Mon Sep 14, 2015 22:48

I created a simple mod that does the thing I suggested about the rocks. It's here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13237 .Please, take a look!

I used one of your textures btw, Casimir. Hope you don't mind

Casimir

by Casimir » Sun Sep 20, 2015 21:50

Hi, eduardo
I had a look at your mod and think the model is really good. It would make the intention, to be able to pick up those rocks, very intuitive. However actually I want to remove the rocks completely out of the game. For my purpose it was a bad decision to use them.

The underlying problem is a subtle one. If one introduces a starting material to build first tools, as soon as the player is over that phase the starting material covers all the landscape while being totally useless (just like cobble spoils the inventory). Second, for multiplayer it has to be renewable, otherwise new players won't find a way to start. I almost think about making trees punchable again, as the alternative is unsatisfying.

btw. I played a little with the hud, tried to align the hunger and health bar with the item hud. It turned out that at the old 24x24 size of the icons they would overlap in the middle. For now I made them 16x16. This is the actual size of the image and therefor it looks very nice, while the bigger ones where distorted. However, it now misses the rough big-pixel style it had before. So I would like to know how people like it.
Attachments
screenshot_20150920_232007.png
screenshot_20150920_232007.png (694.71 KiB) Viewed 6446 times

eduardomezencio

by eduardomezencio » Sun Sep 20, 2015 22:11

I understand, it will be a challenge to solve this progression problem. I think the idea of not punching trees was nice, maybe you can try to make it in a different way. Just one thing, please: keep working on this game. I think it has a lot of potential.

About the hud, I like it pixel-perfect.. I think you could leave it that way. I think this hud is looking better than any other I've seen in minetest games and mods.

Ivà

GitHub: melzua
IRC: melzua
In-game: melzua

by Ivà » Mon Sep 21, 2015 07:31

Casimir wrote:The underlying problem is a subtle one. If one introduces a starting material to build first tools, as soon as the player is over that phase the starting material covers all the landscape while being totally useless (just like cobble spoils the inventory). Second, for multiplayer it has to be renewable, otherwise new players won't find a way to start. I almost think about making trees punchable again, as the alternative is unsatisfying.

The rocks in your game are sometimes hard to find and really in a server would be a problem for new players quickly. But this happens with trees in servers with a lot of players too, sometimes you walk and walk and walk searching for a digable tree.

Loose_rocks spawns all over the landscape, are easy to find and (imho) are very decorative. Maybe it could have an abm like grass that makes loose_rocks "grows" and so makes it renewable.

Anyway, I like Voxelgarden a lot :)

Casimir wrote:btw. I played a little with the hud, tried to align the hunger and health bar with the item hud. It turned out that at the old 24x24 size of the icons they would overlap in the middle. For now I made them 16x16. This is the actual size of the image and therefor it looks very nice, while the bigger ones where distorted. However, it now misses the rough big-pixel style it had before. So I would like to know how people like it.

About the hud, I like the modification you've done.

kaadmy

GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 18:28

eduardomezencio wrote:I think this hud is looking better than any other I've seen in minetest games and mods.

My subgame has a hud very similar to this, it's aligned pixel-perfect with 16px bars.
Edit: Here's a screenshot of it that I featured in the subgame thread:
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

eduardomezencio

by eduardomezencio » Mon Sep 21, 2015 22:33

kaadmy wrote:My subgame has a hud very similar to this, it's aligned pixel-perfect with 16px bars.

Oh yes, Pixture. I've been testing it too and I like it a lot. The appearance is very unique and, yes, the HUD looks good also.

caffe23

GitHub: caffe23

by caffe23 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 20:59

Boats are not included in the game, this is on purpuse or is a bug?, they are handy when there is a lot of isles because you can move faster.

Casimir

by Casimir » Thu Dec 10, 2015 21:25

At the moment boats have to many bugs to use. I only add new mods if they have no known issues.

Casimir

by Casimir » Thu Feb 18, 2016 20:24

Biomes work again. Yay!

DatJohnDoe

IRC: DatJohnDoe
In-game: DatJohnDoe

by DatJohnDoe » Fri Feb 19, 2016 03:05

Why not make breaking dirt have a chance of giving you a rock/rock fragment?
Do or do not, Therw is no try - Yoda
Luke... I am your Father - Darth Vader

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:39

Casimir, we're considering a new grass texture for MTGame and i like your voxelgarden texture, is it okay for me to edit it a little and submit it as a possible new texture? I was thinking of trying to make the 'lines' less obvious, see https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/issues/703#issuecomment-150977485

paramat

by paramat » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:40

Accidental double post.

Casimir

by Casimir » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:55

Of course it is okay. But actually I don't like my current texture that much. It is far to green. On large scales it looks too artificial. I wanted to add some yellow, brown shades to it but lack the skills. Somewhere in the direction of Gambits texture you posted on that issue. If you (plural) come up with a improved version I will gladly use it too.

DatJohnDoe wrote:Why not make breaking dirt have a chance of giving you a rock/rock fragment?

That always has the problem that people can just place and dig again until they turned all dirt into rocks.
My current plan is to turn the rocks into flint blocks. Those drop four or nine flints which then can be used to either craft stonetools, or to be sharpened and a tool of it's own. Also I want to add fallen logs the way they where introduced in Minetest Game lately, which then could be broken by hand. This way there are several options on how to advance in the game. And the flints could be used to craft other items e.g. a fire striker. Basically reimplementing my stoneage mod.

Casimir

by Casimir » Sat Feb 20, 2016 22:17

Done the flint thing. It replaces all rocks. Flint can be used to craft stone tools. Also gives you a handaxe, and together with steel a fire striker. It has to be used with tinder the way you see it in the screenshot. Tinder can be crafted from cotton, wheat or paper. There is also a fire privilege so server owners can disable it.

Nezchan

In-game: Nezchan

by Nezchan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 22:23

I'm a new player, and I installed Voxelgarden because I really like the survival concept. However, when I try to start a game it fails, apparently due to the Flint mod. Here's what it gives me:

2016-02-25 17:19:58: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run /home/kels/.minetest/games/Voxelgarden/mods/flint/init.lua
2016-02-25 17:19:58: ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run /home/kels/.minetest/games/Voxelgarden/mods/flint/init.lua
2016-02-25 17:19:58: ERROR[main]: Error from Lua:
2016-02-25 17:19:58: ERROR[main]: /home/kels/.minetest/games/Voxelgarden/mods/flint/init.lua:36: attempt to index global 'default' (a nil value)
2016-02-25 17:19:58: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
2016-02-25 17:19:58: ERROR[main]: /home/kels/.minetest/games/Voxelgarden/mods/flint/init.lua:36: in main chunk
2016-02-25 17:19:58: ERROR[main]: Check debug.txt for details.

If i delete the Flint mod, it runs perfectly, although of course then it's impossible to play since I have no resource to make basic tools out of. I am able to corner the market in sticks though, so that's something.

kaadmy

GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 22:33

@Nezchan: that seems to be a problem with dependencies, see below
@Casimir: to fix @Nezchan's problem, put default in the depends.txt for the flint mod.
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Nezchan

by Nezchan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 03:55

Worked perfectly, thanks!

Casimir

by Casimir » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:10

Oh thank you both. I added the depends.txt now.
It seems I had a depends.txt but forgot to commit it.

Nezchan

by Nezchan » Sat Feb 27, 2016 03:07

Thank you again, I'm really enjoying my experience so far. I haven't played Minecraft at all, so Minetest is my introduction to the genre and this is the subgame that really grabs me the most, I think. Pixture comes second, but I think I like this one especially for the limits on technology. I see it as basically playing at a Viking level, where you've got metals but not too much past that level.

Would be nice to see appropriate mobs though, like wolves and bears. And a way to throw away unwanted items, there doesn't seem to be a "junk" option that I can see.

paramat

by paramat » Tue Apr 19, 2016 05:25

See https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/pull/1025 for my subtle modification of your grass texture.

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Thu May 26, 2016 06:00

This looks perfect but I'm a noob and I've encountered some problems - sometimes flowers or grass are floating a block higher than the ground (perhaps because dirt can fall?), and leaves start decaying as soon as trees get close.

Are these known issues or have I done something wrong? Were they introduced by v4.14? Is Voxelgarden still maintained? Should I be attempting to debug it?

Update: I think leaf decay is built into minetest now, but when Voxelgarden was made it had to implement its own. I'll try replacing the mods in Voxelgarden with 4.14 ones and ripping out the leaf decay.

Casimir

by Casimir » Wed Jul 06, 2016 14:35

DrFrankenstone wrote:sometimes flowers or grass are floating a block higher than the ground (perhaps because dirt can fall?)

This is because of the mudflow part of mapgen and the same problem exists in other game, afaik.

DrFrankenstone wrote:and leaves start decaying as soon as trees get close.

Well, this problem existed for some time but should have been fixed. Can you try the latest version? If if still persists, what trees are affected (all kinds?) and in which mapgen?
I use a special leafdecay for several reasons, but it should be safe to just delete "leafdecay.lua" in the "default" mod.

DrFrankenstone wrote:Is Voxelgarden still maintained?

If there are any bugs, I try to fix them, but adding no new features. At the moment I'm more interested in other projects. (e.g. instead of creating games no one but me plays, I could also create language no one but me speaks.)

Ivà

by Ivà » Wed Jul 06, 2016 17:17

Casimir wrote:At the moment I'm more interested in other projects. (e.g. instead of creating games no one but me plays, I could also create language no one but me speaks.)

That's not entirely true, I played your subgame in a server (when there was one) and then locally in my computer for hours :-)

Nezchan

by Nezchan » Wed Jul 06, 2016 19:31

I agree with Iva, I've really enjoyed what you did with this subgame. It's a real pity that it hasn't been worked on, although I don't begrudge you working on the projects that interest you.

Casimir

by Casimir » Tue Jul 12, 2016 21:34

Thanks you both. It's good to see some people actually playing it.
I have more time at hand now, so I will likely do some updates and at least keep up with the improvements in minetest_game. (I already uncovered the todo list - enough on it for days of work.)

Nezchan

by Nezchan » Wed Jul 13, 2016 16:42

I like this mod because it feels like I'm a Viking. Could use appropriate mobs, like bears and wolves.

Casimir

by Casimir » Sun Jul 17, 2016 19:14

Found the bug for the disappearing leaves. Should work now.

Mobs are planed, but it will still take a while before they are usable.

paramat

by paramat » Sun Jul 17, 2016 22:35

Your grass texture is now used in MTGame in modified form.

hajo

by hajo » Mon Nov 28, 2016 00:56

I'm testing Voxelgarden, that has been packaged with the new Minetest 0.4.14-8a7dc83 - 2016-12-05.

I get some errormessages:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
2016-12-10 19:42:47: WARNING[Main]: Field "height_min": Deprecated: new name is "y_min".
2016-12-10 19:42:47: WARNING[Main]: Not registering alias, item with same name is already defined: sapling -> default:sapling
2016-12-10 19:42:47: WARNING[Main]: Not registering alias, item with same name is already defined: brick -> default:clay_brick
2016-12-10 19:42:48: WARNING[Main]: Irrlicht: PNG warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
2016-12-10 19:42:49: WARNING[Main]: Irrlicht: Could not open file of texture: character.png

The crosshair is white, and rather small, that makes it hard to see on some backgrounds.

The player cannot dig trees, and so he cannot make tools.
I don't see how the player should get started, and there is no documentation about this.
Some of 'my' wiki-pages: Build-a-home - basic-robot - basic-machines - digtron

Ivà

by Ivà » Sun Dec 25, 2016 08:02

@hajo, look at the first post, under "recipes to know" spoiler.

PreviousNext

Return to Subgame Releases