[Game] Voxelgarden [git]

Sokomine

Re: [Game] Voxelgarden [git]

by Sokomine » Wed Sep 24, 2014 01:18

Casimir wrote:The rock thing seems to be a bigger problem then I expected. I'm trying to think of solutions to this, but haven't come up with something nice so far. Maybe add flint as in my stoneage mod, and replace rocks with flint_block that drops four flint and is crafted with four. As the rocks are a defining part of the game, every fix will include some bigger game changes. In general I want the player to be able to achieve their goals on different ways. The rock thing/getting stone tools is a bottleneck atm.

That's mostly a problem on multiplayer. RealTest shares this problem. At least it has a cheaper rock receipe so that long-time players can fill chests for the newcomers. What is mostly needed is documentation of there beeing rocks and them beeing necessary. A tiny picture plus a few lines in the game's introduction wouldn't hurt. On a server, set a fixed spawn point and put up signs like everybody else does.

Casimir wrote:Highlandpools slows down generation quite much. I want to keep the standard mapgen at least as fast as it is now.

Oh :-( They are a nice feature. Maybe they can be integrated into the rich nature of the plantlife modpack, if it's not included already?

Casimir wrote:A stack of 99 seems to be chosen arbitrary. With middle click you can place 10 items and the craft gird has nine slots. So 90 is better for crafting (e.g. 90 papyrus --> 10 papyrus roots).

Ah. So there was some consideration behind this. It looked at first a bit maliscious - like limiting the inventory so that players can carry less. If you want convenient gameplay, adding unified_inventory helps more than a stack size of 90 :-) With unified_inventory, you can copy the materials to the craft grid. And if you want to turn 9 of anything into 1 crafted result, splitting up 90 of them into the 9 fields isn't easier than doing so for 99.

Casimir wrote:For now I enabled sethome on the server.

That is good. Thank you!

Casimir wrote:I'm very very bad at advertising. And somehow the announcement to the serverlist is not working.

It seemed broken a few days ago but seems to work fine again.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Wed Oct 29, 2014 16:51

This sub-game appears to work fine in Freeminer. If the prospect interests you, would you be interested in posting this in that fork's forums?

Casimir

by Casimir » Wed Oct 29, 2014 18:22

Krock wrote:Sorry, I can no longer test its compatibility with Freeminer, therefore I won't post something which (maybe) doesn't work.
Thanks for the interest.

Same applies to me.
Also doesn't the GPL licensing of Freeminer demand that subgames have to be GPL as well? Wasn't that the reason Minetest uses LGPL?

philipbenr

GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: WisdomFire or philipbenr

by philipbenr » Wed Oct 29, 2014 23:46

Well, even though I cannot use FM right now, I am still posting Lux_Solis. There might be errors, but it makes the satisfaction of seeing something work a whole lot greater... right?

Even if you are not, would you give me permission to test, fix and post Voxelgarden on FM forums as an FM version (provided the GPL issue is cleared up: http://forum.freeminer.org/threads/ques ... cense.213/ )?

Casimir

by Casimir » Thu Oct 30, 2014 07:19

Of course you can.

Casimir

by Casimir » Wed Nov 05, 2014 22:58

New things:
  • Use new drawtypes "firelike" and "glasslike_framed_optional" (screenshot).
  • Added bonfire (experimental).
  • Nyanrats now generate in the sky again.
  • Some textures tweaked (cracking now has one more crack).
  • New, leafdecay. This is very experimental. It respects the trunks of the leaves, so jungle leaves need jungel tree, conifer leaves need conifer tree and so on (leaves that have no trunk defined will use group:tree). It also is much faster because it uses less ABM but checks the surrounding leaves after one leaves node decayed. Feedback on this one would help me very much, because it is a very different behavior.

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Wed Nov 05, 2014 23:46

I think that the new leafdecay idea is good. It will help a lot actually with game-play.

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Thu Nov 06, 2014 18:30

Nice to see some changes of mine also in other games :)
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Casimir

by Casimir » Mon Nov 10, 2014 00:19

Nice to see you noticing it.

There are now biomes for mapgen v7 and v5. But I'm not sure how to use them correctly. They are now based on simplev7 by MTDad. And somehow the conifers do not appear, and when they do only on the edge of the biome.
Also new stone, cobble, mossycobble and 2D player textures (by kilbith and cisoun).

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Mon Nov 10, 2014 01:01

Looking good Casmir. I like how there are more biomes with the fixed mg7 and revived mg5.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Tue Nov 11, 2014 02:10

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
20:54:11: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
20:54:11: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from
20:54:11: ERROR[main]: /home/derek/.freeminer/mods/moreblocks/init.lua:
20:54:11: ERROR[main]: .../.freeminer/mods/moreblocks/stairsplus/registrations.lua:30: attempt to index local 'ndef' (a nil value)
20:54:11: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
20:54:11: ERROR[main]:    .../.freeminer/mods/moreblocks/stairsplus/registrations.lua:30: in main chunk
20:54:11: ERROR[main]:    [C]: in function 'dofile'
20:54:11: ERROR[main]:    /home/derek/.freeminer/mods/moreblocks/stairsplus/init.lua:43: in main chunk
20:54:11: ERROR[main]:    [C]: in function 'dofile'
20:54:11: ERROR[main]:    /home/derek/.freeminer/mods/moreblocks/init.lua:22: in main chunk
20:54:11: ERROR[main]: ======= END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
20:54:11: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run /home/derek/.freeminer/mods/moreblocks/init.lua
20:54:11: ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run /home/derek/.freeminer/mods/moreblocks/init.lua

Voxelands hates moreblocks.

TenPlus1

GitHub: tenplus1

by TenPlus1 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 07:55

Casimir: check out my PlayerPlus mod which makes cactus hurt a player as well as some other effects...

https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10090

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Tue Nov 11, 2014 18:35

Inocudom wrote:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
20:54:11: ERROR[main]:    /home/derek/.freeminer/mods/moreblocks/init.lua:22: in main chunk

Voxelands hates moreblocks.

Well, I can't see anything about Voxelands in this error.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Casimir

by Casimir » Tue Nov 11, 2014 21:08

Inocudom wrote:Voxelands hates moreblocks.

Yes. Voxelands is totally incompatible with moreblocks, because Voxelands has no modding API. The subgame you are talking about is called Voxelgarden. I did not knew that they renamed, or planed to rename Minetest-classic while I renamed Nodetest.

But thank you for reporting this problem. I now included a sentence in the first post so others will know.
Voxelgarden is incompatible with moreblocks because the subgame already contains a version of stairsplus, while moreblocks has stairsplus included within itself in a strange way. Normally when you load a mod that is included in the subgame, your mod is loaded instead of the subgames one. When moreblocks would be a modpack that would include a mod called stairsplus there probably wouldn't be any problems. But moreblocks breaks with the standard way of naming global variables for mods, that is modname.functionname(). It uses stairsplus.functionname() while there exists no stairsplus when you use it together with minetest_game. When you use Voxelgarden moreblocks defines and uses function with the name of another mod.
Therefore I can not and will not fix this problem within this subgame.

You could, however, write a mod that adds the moreblocks nodes using the present stairplus functions without the need of defining them.

@ TenPlus1
Thank you. I already thought about including it, but I will have to take a closer look when I have more free time at hand.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Fri Nov 14, 2014 17:09

https://github.com/Jordach/big_freaking_dig/commit/22fd286e29afc0a9600f40fe4fe713476d7fd42a
Jordach found a solution to the IGNORE areas of mapgenv5 that might be useful to you somehow, for it turns those areas into blocks of air nodes. Maybe you could do something more creative for the Voxelgarden sub-game?

MTDad

by MTDad » Sun Nov 16, 2014 21:17

Casimir, maybe you caught it yourself by now, but I noticed on your current github version the "place_on" for your conifers was "default:dirt_with_grass" which would prevent them from being set to the map. I changed the registrations for them in biomes.lua as follows on my local copy;
minetest.register_decoration({
   deco_type = "schematic",
   place_on = {"default:dirt_with_snow", "default:snowblock"},
   sidelen = 16,
   fill_ratio = 0.047,
   biomes = {"mountain", "alpine"},
   flags = "place_center_x, place_center_z",
   schematic = minetest.get_modpath("default").."/schematics/conifer_conifertree_1.mts",
})

minetest.register_decoration({
   deco_type = "schematic",
   place_on = {"default:dirt_with_snow", "default:snowblock"},
   sidelen = 16,
   fill_ratio = 0.037,
   biomes = {"mountain", "alpine"},
   flags = "place_center_x, place_center_z",
   schematic = minetest.get_modpath("default").."/schematics/conifer_conifertree_2.mts",
})

and got to see this;
hope this helps, and I love the concept behind Voxelgarden, good work.

Casimir

by Casimir » Sun Nov 16, 2014 21:46

Oh, yes. Thank you. Just pushed it.

Casimir

by Casimir » Wed Nov 19, 2014 23:11

A map with mapgen v5

Casimir

by Casimir » Wed Dec 24, 2014 15:12

There are now good biomes with an actuall concept behind them. In general it is separated into forest and no forest, and three heat zones. That give six basic biomes: Snowy conifer forest, normal forest, jungle, snowy plains, grassland, desert. There are also two transitional zones between the different forest types. In the screenshot on the right you can see the transition between conifer and normal forest. There are also rare biomes of gravel and deep snow.

Casimir

by Casimir » Mon Aug 10, 2015 21:27

Beside updating everything there are some new features:

The mushrooms and iron bars similar to minetest_game have been added. The ironbars are part of the modular doors. This way you can use them as hatches, a balustrade, windows, doors, and iron bars and just everything else you can come up with.

Fire has changed a lot. It now is much more predictable and less "explosive". You can also make infinite fire pits. This is because things need at least two fire nodes beside them to burn down. Having only one fire will keep it alive, but your fuel will never be used up. Also one node of fire will not destroy your entire city any more. If you by accident place one somewhere you have still time until it catches on. To make buildings fireproof, leave at least three nodes of air between them. It will not jump wider than that.

A treasure house:

How to build a fire place (stones are just decoration, could be dirt as well):

This one works too:

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Thu Aug 13, 2015 01:58

Casimir wrote:The mushrooms and iron bars similar to minetest_game have been added. The ironbars are part of the modular doors. This way you can use them as hatches, a balustrade, windows, doors, and iron bars and just everything else you can come up with.

Nice idea. I'm sure they'll make good doors.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Casimir

by Casimir » Fri Aug 28, 2015 21:26

There are new hotbar textures and a new header.
"rock" is no more needed. It will be removed completely in the future.

Obligatory release of version 0.4.13
Changes are all the things mentioned above. For a full list see the commits.

mahmutelmas06

GitHub: mahmutelmas06
IRC: mahmutelmas06
In-game: masum

by mahmutelmas06 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 21:45

I know that u want very stable subgame so u dont want to but i think you should add some animals
My Mods:

Beverage

Casimir

by Casimir » Sat Aug 29, 2015 20:27

Adding mobs is one of the long term goals. Probably using mobapi, but there has to be put a lot of work into it until I would include it by default.

eduardomezencio

GitHub: eduardomezencio

by eduardomezencio » Fri Sep 11, 2015 03:57

It feels very good to play this game! The textures are really beautiful and there are a lot of details. Details can change everything. I would love if a lot of the things in this game became minetest defaults.

I'm finding it a little strange that the first set of tools I was able to get were the stone tools. Wooden tools are weaker and are also harder to get?

Congratulations, Casimir!

Casimir

by Casimir » Sat Sep 12, 2015 00:17

Yes, it's hard to find a good, let's call it techtree for the start of the game. I don't like the way you do in minetest_game in the first minute cut a tree, get wooden tools, dig some stones, get stone tools and then you are done for the rest of the game. It would be nice to have a slow progress, where you always have multiple ways of reaching the next level. I'm open for suggestions.

eduardomezencio

by eduardomezencio » Sat Sep 12, 2015 01:37

I understand. So, please, allow me to suggest some ideas.

Well, I'm going to assume you really want to keep the stones as a starting point. If that's the case, maybe a good solution would be to make stone tools really suck (and maybe even remove wooden tools from the game to solve this problem of having weaker tools harder to make than stronger ones). Then just have more tiers of tools, like made of different "metals", and make each somewhat harder to find and mine than the previous one (and also make you always require the previous to mine the next).

Let's suppose the next tier after stone would be copper(it could be anything). Then the only things you would be able to mine with a stone pickaxe would be stone, coal and copper. Only coal would be easy, but stone and copper would take significant amount of time to mine, enough to discourage the player to go just digging his way, making he explore naturally generated caves, searching copper in the walls instead. (making stone hard to mine with stone tools can be even more realistic, since the thing you are trying to break is as strong as the tool you are using)

Then from there just kind of increment this process for each different "metal".

Another thing that I would like to suggest is that instead of crafting sticks with leaves, it maybe would be better to make leaves have a chance of dropping sticks when destroyed. I think it would be easier for the new player to figure out what to do. I can think of two different ways of doing that. One would be to have leaves and sticks work just like gravel and flint work in minecraft (I'll assume you know how it is). The other would be to not allow the player to collect leaves without a special tool for that, and then make the leaves have a chance of dropping sticks when you destroy it without that special tools. These two methods would prevent the player from making infinite sticks from the first leaf block he finds..

eduardomezencio

by eduardomezencio » Sat Sep 12, 2015 15:03

Another thing I think is not so neat is the appearance of rocks. They don't look like something you would be able to get bare-handed. Have you thought about making rocks have a custom model, instead of being a cube? I made this draft just to illustrate one possibility. It could also serve as a nice decoration.

rock1.png
Rocks
rock1.png (351.19 KiB) Viewed 4771 times

kaadmy

GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Sat Sep 12, 2015 20:55

eduardomezencio wrote:[...]

I agree, that would fit better than a full node.
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 01:05

The modular doors and redone stairsplus are genius

PreviousNext

Return to Subgame Releases