[Game] Wasteland [0.5 beta]

skyion

In-game: skyion

Re:

by skyion » Sat Jul 12, 2014 22:13

BlockMen wrote:
Annahstas wrote:Dumb person question- I downloaded it and extracted. How do I get it to play? Also you can play with other people right?

Add the "wasteland" folder to ~/games/ in your minetest folder.

And yes, you can play this with other ppl (like every other game here) if someone hosts it.

anyone able to help me i have the latest minetest i added the folder to /games (which i had to go into root for which was a pain in the butt) but it wont show up when i start the program im at a bit of a loss

LionsDen

Re: [Game] Wasteland [0.2.2]

by LionsDen » Sat Jul 12, 2014 23:04

There are icons on the bottom of the minetest menu. Each icon represents a different game for minetest. Also, you can click the new button and enter your world name and then choose whichever game type from the box below where you enter your world name.

skyion

In-game: skyion

Re: [Game] Wasteland [0.2.2] (was just "stubborn")

by skyion » Mon Jul 14, 2014 01:13

i looked thats what i meant by it wont show up i added one for zombies it shows up but this one wont appear in the menues but thanks for making sure i knew that part - i dumped the file reinstalled minetest reinstalled the mode and now for some reason it works i dunno what went wrong or where but yay thanks for putting thought into my problem whoever thought about it your awesome for it

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Mon Jul 14, 2014 04:32

You're welcome. Sometimes computers just make a mistake and you can never find the reason why something did or didn't work. It's happened to me numerous times and I expect it will happen numerous more.

meldrian

GitHub: meldrian
IRC: meldrian
In-game: meldrian

by meldrian » Sun Jul 20, 2014 16:33

Hey Blockmen,

don't know the effort which is necessary but maybe it's a nice idea to add toxic water (green water, poison) and a red burning sky instead of the normal one to the game.
Toxic Water: Player shouldn't go in there for healthy reasons but there might be some treasure or rare material underneath or in it. A "no risk no fun" or "no pain no gain" thing.
Red Sky: Just an optical tweak, fits into the "wasteland" setting (the blue sky is much to happy for the Post-Apocalypse ;) )

Dragonop

GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Fri Jul 25, 2014 04:27

BlockMen you can add the finite liquids mod so the water will be more rare; and if you find two buckets of water you CANT make a infinite water source

Dragonop

by Dragonop » Sun Jul 27, 2014 05:24

How do you open the COFFYN?

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Sun Jul 27, 2014 08:25

Like you would a chest, just right-click it.

BlockMen

GitHub: BlockMen

by BlockMen » Sun Jul 27, 2014 15:59

meldrian wrote:Hey Blockmen,

don't know the effort which is necessary but maybe it's a nice idea to add toxic water (green water, poison) and a red burning sky instead of the normal one to the game.
Toxic Water: Player shouldn't go in there for healthy reasons but there might be some treasure or rare material underneath or in it. A "no risk no fun" or "no pain no gain" thing.
Red Sky: Just an optical tweak, fits into the "wasteland" setting (the blue sky is much to happy for the Post-Apocalypse ;) )

The red sky does not exactly fit in the direction of this game, since why would you be able to "regrow" the earth while the atmosphere is still destroyed (or why red?). Also i would think grey fits better than red in this setting.
The toxic water might be an idea, aswell something to clean it.

Dragonop wrote:BlockMen you can add the finite liquids mod so the water will be more rare; and if you find two buckets of water you CANT make a infinite water source

Since i was never a fan of finite liquids i guess i woubt add that. But toxic water (like mentioned before) or something similar will make getting water also harder.

Dragonop

by Dragonop » Mon Jul 28, 2014 01:48

ken wrote:I like the game, thanks for developing it.

I am fairly new to Minetest and not entirely clear on the "farming" aspect. According to the wiki, I am supposed to be able to use a tool to "mine" the wheat, but this does not seem to work in Wastelands. You can't mine the wheat directly but must mine the block underneath it. Is this by design? Or am I missing something? I'm using the latest 0.4.9-dev version.

That is not the latest version: Try This One

Dragonop

by Dragonop » Mon Jul 28, 2014 01:54

BlockMen wrote:Since i was never a fan of finite liquids i guess i woubt add that. But toxic water (like mentioned before) or something similar will make getting water also harder.

I am not a fan of Finite Liquids either but in this mod it fits perfect
Yeah toxic water is a cool feature, but what about a salt water feature too? So its not drinkable or farming possible!

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Mon Jul 28, 2014 02:01

Dragonop wrote:

I am fairly new to Minetest and not entirely clear on the "farming" aspect. According to the wiki, I am supposed to be able to use a tool to "mine" the wheat, but this does not seem to work in Wastelands. You can't mine the wheat directly but must mine the block underneath it. Is this by design? Or am I missing something? I'm using the latest 0.4.9-dev version.

You should also know that to harvest the crop you will need to break the block of soil. You can't harvest the wheat normally. Wasteland is a little different than regular minetest.

webdesigner97

GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 05:32

Dragonop wrote:

This is also not the latest version :P The latest win32/64 builds (if you have Windows) can be found in the "Builds" section of the forum.

BlockMen

Re: [Game] Wasteland [0.3]

by BlockMen » Sat Aug 09, 2014 07:05

Update! Version 0.3 released

Changelog:
- Added zombies
- Digged nodes are dropped and need to be collected by pressing "USE"-Key (default E)
- Reduce stack sizes (depending on context between 20 and 60)
- Added beds (currently no way to get wool for crafting)
- Chests in ruins (and coffins) cant be opened anymore (items are dropped when cracked)
- New formspec background
- Fixed dead tree generation
- Fixed some mapgen bugs and crashes (mineral sand is temporarily removed)
- Fixed wheat bug (digging)
- Many, many smaller fixes and tweaks

Known bugs:
- rarely the dead trees are missing blocks
- currently no way to sprint (even with fast privilege)

Dragonop

by Dragonop » Tue Aug 12, 2014 03:19

YAY new version! You now something about upgrade the Wasteland server now?

BlockMen

by BlockMen » Thu Aug 14, 2014 08:23

Dragonop wrote:YAY new version! You now something about upgrade the Wasteland server now?

I have nothing to do with that server and can't help you with that, sorry. Ask at the server topic for that.

meldrian

GitHub: meldrian
IRC: meldrian
In-game: meldrian

by meldrian » Fri Aug 15, 2014 00:31

I've played a few hours so far.
I still like where this is going and I hope you'll improve the game further.

things i'd like to mention / ideas
beds: Just add cotton seeds to the randomly placed items in the old chests. seeds -> cotton -> wool -> beds
bronze tools: the recipe for bronze tools is present but the tool itself isn't ("unknown item")
papyrus: if there's water next to a tile of gras covered dirt and it's day(light) then, maybe, with a chance of 1 to 200 (or so), a papyrus plant will appear out of nowhere
item "compost": a furnace like block where you put harvested shrubs and rotten flesh etc. and wait a while to get superb manure (manure might replace the faulty mineral salt you mentioned)

Great concept, keep it up

BlockMen

by BlockMen » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:48

meldrian wrote:I've played a few hours so far.
I still like where this is going and I hope you'll improve the game further.

things i'd like to mention / ideas
beds: Just add cotton seeds to the randomly placed items in the old chests. seeds -> cotton -> wool -> beds
bronze tools: the recipe for bronze tools is present but the tool itself isn't ("unknown item")
papyrus: if there's water next to a tile of gras covered dirt and it's day(light) then, maybe, with a chance of 1 to 200 (or so), a papyrus plant will appear out of nowhere
item "compost": a furnace like block where you put harvested shrubs and rotten flesh etc. and wait a while to get superb manure (manure might replace the faulty mineral salt you mentioned)

Great concept, keep it up

Thanks.
Yes, that would be an option to get wool, but actually i wanted to make it harder to get a bed. Maybe zombies can drop rarely the cotton seeds?
Oups, the recipe will be removed aswell ofc
Sounds like a reasonable way to get papyrus
Minerals is fixed on local pc already, will be back in next version. but maybe i will find another thing for "compost" or something similar, idk yet ;)

Mella

by Mella » Sun Aug 24, 2014 16:05

Great new version :D The zombies fit good into the story and destroying the chests also makes the game harder to play (Before I've also collected the chests ;) )
I actually spend more time playing Wasteland than the regular game :D The only thing is, I've never had mobs in the game before...
Do the zombies only attack at night? (On the first day I haven't seen one, but there was one during the first night and on the second morning)
Can they go through doors or climb up ladders?
Can they also attack you while you're asleep?

I've also got an idea for the wool problem: You can add ghosts, which drop blankets when defeated. These blankets can then be crafted into wool.
And probably you can also think of new types of food? For example you could get toxic meat from the zombies, which is very (very very) bad for your health, but can be cooked in a furnace into normal meat? Or if you generate toxic water, there could also be toxic mushrooms near it (or inside of it?)
Well, just some ideas, all in all the game is brilliant ;)

sloantothebone

by sloantothebone » Sun Sep 07, 2014 16:59

I had gotten a sapling and some water and i started growing trees... and then i starved to death.

Before i knew to put water in to fertilize the land, I was afraid to put a sapling in the dirt because i might lose it, but i decided to do it anyway to see what would happen, and the dirt "rejected" the sapling which turned into an object.. Can you make it so that instead the sapling completely disappears? because i'd think the dry soil would kill the sapling. It would make for interesting chalenge.

Also I replaced the item drop init.lua with the init.lua from the carbone subgame. Does this affect the game in any bad way?

DeadMike

In-game: MrSmith

by DeadMike » Wed Sep 10, 2014 13:37

Hello all..Im kinda new to MineTest. I have palyed for about a month I guess. I have tried a few servers and have had alot of fun. But I have not seen a server that plays like the game you bult. It looks awesome. Is there a server that hosts it for multiplayer?

Xanthin

GitHub: Xanthin
IRC: Xanthin
In-game: Xanthin

by Xanthin » Wed Sep 10, 2014 13:55

Hello Deadmike, you can try this one: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9707
Its not on the public server list so you have to manualy add the server address. I played there a bit a feew weeks ago. Actual there seems to be a problem while loading the media from the server (lots of media errors are shown) but after a minute it started and I joined at my last spot.

edit: Error messages appeared only at first media download, while second joining at the server was fast and without any error.

dan1101

by dan1101 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 19:01

First of all, thanks to BlockMen for making Wasteland, it's a lot of fun! I recently discovered Minetest and, once I figured out that [Games] go in the /Games folder, have mostly been playing Wasteland.

A few questions. Trying to be a farmer I used a bucket of water to make an infinite water source near my base (seems OP) and hoed the ground and planted seeds next to the water, but they grow so slowly that I starve to death. I do get impatient sometimes and harvest early, and don't always get seeds. Is the sand/minerals thing to make wheat grow faster gone, or does it still work?

I also managed to plant a few saplings near the water, and one had apples but after picking them I haven't seen any more for a long time. Not sure if Wasteland trees are different than regular Minetest trees, but after you take leaf blocks (some but not all) from a tree to try and get saplings, do the leaves ever grow back? And should apples be growing back?

Also, I thought you could press the Use key (E by default) to fill an empty bucket from a water source, but I can't get that to work. Right-click and Left-click don't either.

And finally, I seem to be in a world that has no night time. Is that normally expected to be possible; do different worlds have different day/night lengths? I have played probably 4 hours or more on this world and no night yet, in fact I've never seen the sun although it's daytime.

DeadMike

In-game: MrSmith

by DeadMike » Thu Oct 09, 2014 15:11

Xanthin wrote:Hello Deadmike, you can try this one: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9707
Its not on the public server list so you have to manualy add the server address. I played there a bit a feew weeks ago. Actual there seems to be a problem while loading the media from the server (lots of media errors are shown) but after a minute it started and I joined at my last spot.

edit: Error messages appeared only at first media download, while second joining at the server was fast and without any error.

thanks alot..appreciate your help:)

Dragonop

by Dragonop » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:35

Hi Blockmen!
Some ideas:
Maybe, instead of finite-water, a harder way to do infinite water (like in a 4x4 grin in the floor, instead of placing 2 buckets of water.
-Did you removed rats?
The bucktets can also, only be used two times, to collect, and place water, but just that?

BlockMen

by BlockMen » Sun Oct 12, 2014 20:33

dan1101 wrote: Is the sand/minerals thing to make wheat grow faster gone, or does it still work?

Mineralsand/minerals will be back next version ;)

dan1101 wrote: Not sure if Wasteland trees are different than regular Minetest trees, but after you take leaf blocks (some but not all) from a tree to try and get saplings, do the leaves ever grow back? And should apples be growing back?

No, leaves and apples are only "growing" when a sapling grows into a tree, so the trees behave the same way like in the regular game (except saplings can only placed near water)

dan1101 wrote:
Also, I thought you could press the Use key (E by default) to fill an empty bucket from a water source, but I can't get that to work. Right-click and Left-click don't either.

Using "E" to fill bucket is currently not possible with Minetest API (or maybe but then in a hacky, not good useable way).

dan1101 wrote:
And finally, I seem to be in a world that has no night time. Is that normally expected to be possible; do different worlds have different day/night lengths? I have played probably 4 hours or more on this world and no night yet, in fact I've never seen the sun although it's daytime.

No, thats not expected hehavior and not seeing the sun is strange aswell. Are you sure you have not changed any daytime or daytime speed in your minetest.conf?

Dragonop wrote:Maybe, instead of finite-water, a harder way to do infinite water (like in a 4x4 grin in the floor, instead of placing 2 buckets of water.

Hmm...something like that could be an option to make water harder to get/keep/use. I'm not sure about this.
Dragonop wrote:The bucktets can also, only be used two times, to collect, and place water, but just that?

Buckets need wear out, good idea. Will add this in next version.
Dragonop wrote:-Did you removed rats?

This game never had rats.

dan1101

by dan1101 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 14:36

Thanks for the replies BlockMen.

Since it's so easy to starve in Wasteland it might be a neat enhancement for apples to grow back periodically, even if it takes a long time. So I guess since the trees only grow once, I should harvest them in hopes of getting more saplings that might produce more apples. Do the trees either grow apples immediately or not at all, in other words, is there no use in waiting if the tree doesn't have apples immediately when it grows?

As far as the eternal daylight, no I haven't changed anything in minetest.conf except for resolution and mouse inversion. I started another world, same thing. Looked in my minetest.conf and time_speed was set to 0. No idea why, I didn't do it. Anyway that was the problem.

I figured out buckets, the E key to fill wasn't important, I just couldn't get them to fill. I am new at Minetest and I guess buckets/water were just a general Minetest thing that I didn't understand. For these who don't know what you need to do to fill a bucket is find the "source" block of the water, it is slightly darker and where all the water is coming from. Left or right click a bucket on the source block and it will take the source so you can move it somewhere else.

vv221

by vv221 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 23:02

Coming back to Minetest after a couple versions (last time I played was with something like 0.4.6), and starting with your game… (minetest 0.4.10 and Wasteland cloned from github)
It’s really nice, I’ve been playing it with some music of Mark Morgan and Edwin Montgomery in the background (Wasteland 1 & 2 and Fallout 1 & 2 soundtracks) and been totally immersed in it ;)

A small suggestion that would fit this barren world: the possibility to salvage the things you find in chests for basic components, like getting sticks and/or planks from wooden swords.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Tue Oct 28, 2014 03:43

dan1101 wrote: Do the trees either grow apples immediately or not at all, in other words, is there no use in waiting if the tree doesn't have apples immediately when it grows?

In general, in Minetest trees grow and either come with apples or without. Apples or leaves don't regrow. It might be diffrent here, but if it is, it would be stated somewhere in the thread I guess.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Wed Nov 05, 2014 15:44

I noticed that there is a wasteland 2 game released. Just wondering if you will release a second version of your game?
BTW love your game. Its very challenging. Thanks
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

PreviousNext

Return to Subgame Releases