In-game: BrandonReese

Re: [Game] Adventuretest [Alpha]

by BrandonReese » Thu Jul 10, 2014 14:39

bajanhgk wrote:how many megabites is this game

The download is about 9.3MB

Brockenflabel

by Brockenflabel » Fri Jul 11, 2014 00:48

I created a bunch of Fire Arrows and then tried to use them for the first time.
I got a CTD and error. I'm not sure if its from the 0.4.10 build or Adventuretest bug?
But i thought I would post my debug file.

20:49:58: ACTION[main]: .__ __ __
20:49:58: ACTION[main]: _____ |__| ____ _____/ |_ ____ _______/ |_
20:49:58: ACTION[main]: / \| |/ \_/ __ \ __\/ __ \ / ___/\ __\
20:49:58: ACTION[main]: | Y Y \ | | \ ___/| | \ ___/ \___ \ | |
20:49:58: ACTION[main]: |__|_| /__|___| /\___ >__| \___ >____ > |__|
20:49:58: ACTION[main]: \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
20:49:58: ACTION[main]: World at [C:\EArch\minetest-0.4.10SFAN410\bin\..\worlds\new9]
20:49:58: ACTION[main]: Server for gameid="adventuretest" listening on 0.0.0.0:52034.
20:49:58: ACTION[ServerThread]: Loading player skills and levels
Irrlicht log: PNG warning: Interlace handling should be turned on when using png_read_image
Irrlicht log: PNG warning: Interlace handling should be turned on when using png_read_image
Irrlicht log: PNG warning: Unknown iTXt compression type or method
20:50:05: ERROR[main]: Client: Cannot create image from data of file "experience.psd"
20:50:07: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Could not load image "potion_magic.png" while building texture
20:50:07: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Creating a dummy image for "potion_magic.png"
20:50:07: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Could not load image "potion_magic2.png" while building texture
20:50:07: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Creating a dummy image for "potion_magic2.png"
20:50:07: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Could not load image "potion_magic3.png" while building texture
20:50:07: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Creating a dummy image for "potion_magic3.png"
Irrlicht log: Could not open file of texture: 20:50:08: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer [127.0.0.1] joins game.

20:50:08: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer joins game. List of players: singleplayer
Irrlicht log: Could not open file of texture: 20:50:08: ACTION[ServerThread]: Updated online player file

Irrlicht log: Could not open file of texture:
Irrlicht log: Could not open file of texture:
Font size: 8 17
Irrlicht log: Could not open file of texture: oerkki.png
20:50:12: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer uses throwing:bow_steel, pointing at [nothing]
20:50:12: ACTION[ServerThread]: Updated online player file
20:50:12: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer leaves game. List of players:
20:50:12: ERROR[main]: ServerError: ...FAN410\bin\..\games\adventuretest\mods\throwing\init.lua:26: attempt to perform arithmetic on field 'max_damage' (a nil value)
20:50:12: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
20:50:12: ERROR[main]: ...FAN410\bin\..\games\adventuretest\mods\throwing\init.lua:26: in function 'throwing_shoot_arrow'
20:50:12: ERROR[main]: ...FAN410\bin\..\games\adventuretest\mods\throwing\init.lua:79: in function <...FAN410\bin\..\games\adventuretest\mods\throwing\init.lua:78>
20:50:12: ACTION[main]: Saving player affects
20:50:12: ACTION[main]: Writing vendor log queue to file

BrandonReese

GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Fri Jul 11, 2014 01:15

That's an Adventuretest bug. I have only worked on the regular arrow to make it work with all of the changes I made. I'll put a higher priority on getting the other arrows updated.

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Sat Jul 12, 2014 01:18

I have found a couple of problems.

1) grass is growing on everything. It was everywhere when I started a new world, on cobblestone and gravel and even on the water in the crops areas of towns. It is even growing inside the buildings. lol :D

2) while playing, I was exhausted and suddenly the game crashed with the only notice the microsoft crash notice. After restarting the game, suddenly my character can only walk at a VERY reduced rate as if I was exhausted. My stamina bar was full on the restart so I got it down by half a a mark and slept. My speed was still reduced so I got it all the way down and slept again. It was still reduced when I woke up again. I then quit and restarted minetest entirely. When I restarted for a couple of seconds I could move normally and then I went slow again. Is there any way to get my speed back besides starting a new world?

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Sat Jul 12, 2014 02:31

1) Do you have a screenshot of the grass growing problem?

2) Delete the physics file in your world folder. So if your world was named Adventuretest the file would be minetest/worlds/Adventuretest/physics

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Sat Jul 12, 2014 04:26

Thanks, deleting the physics file worked. Here are some screenshots.

Grass growing in a building, I think at least some was from when the chunk was created.

Grass growing on gravel and inside a building. I think some at least from chunk creation.

Grass growing on top of the water in a villages cotton plot, I think all of this is from chunk creation.

bajanhgk

In-game: bajanhgk

by bajanhgk » Sat Jul 12, 2014 07:39

How do you sleep and also adventure test should have custom textures
Edit: oh nevermind
Last edited by bajanhgk on Sat Jul 12, 2014 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
Just a Loner In the Winds which Blow Endlessly towards Death

bajanhgk

In-game: bajanhgk

by bajanhgk » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:04

change the workbench with blockmens crafting mod cause it looks and is better
Just a Loner In the Winds which Blow Endlessly towards Death

Brockenflabel

by Brockenflabel » Sun Jul 13, 2014 21:09

As regards diamonds etc;

I dug down to 1200, by then I acquired
-two chests of iron ore
-27 copper ore pieces
-30 glow stones

So I get tired of waiting for diamond and teleported down 3000 !
Thank God I found myself embedded into a nice cozy piece of stone! and not lava.
I simply dug my way out then and gradually found some connecting tunnels.
After following them for awhile I found some gold, then later on some more,
total 70 gold ore, but no diamond or mesa.

So I tried to teleport again and went down 15000 !!!!!!!!!!
Again I was embedded in stone.
Found some tunnel systems and searched and dug a lot at that level.......no diamond.
In fact nothing but coal so far.
So I guess Adventuretest needs more diamonds?
Or any diamonds.

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Mon Jul 14, 2014 21:26

Is exhaustion damaging armor supposed to happen?

ModernHippie

In-game: ModernHippie

by ModernHippie » Sun Jul 20, 2014 05:52

This Game sounds very, very, very, ... cool!!
My English is not so well, I know it!

Feel Free To Live Your Style!

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Thu Aug 28, 2014 07:41

Thanks for this work, a good game for Minetest, if possible i would like to have a kind of version number to see when something is updated. otherwiese i always have to download and look if there is a new date in the build....
Maybe its possible to add this versionnumer on the first post or add a kind of historie.
And it would be helpfull to have a kind of manual, so its not guessing what to do to build things or interact with the npc

Minetestforfun

GitHub: Darcidride
IRC: Darcidride + MinetestForFun
In-game: Darcidride + MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Thu Aug 28, 2014 09:58

it's in github, so you just need to see the commits, if they haven't new commits, they haven't update
https://github.com/Bremaweb/adventuretest/commits/master

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:32

@ Minetestforfun
Thanks, something new i learned today ;-) nerver looked on github before.

brep

In-game: brep

by brep » Tue Sep 30, 2014 00:49

I started to try out this game today, but it's running very slowly. Is there any way to increase the speed of the game?

brep

In-game: brep

by brep » Tue Sep 30, 2014 00:58

Nvm, after reloading the world it started to work much faster.

dan1101

by dan1101 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 18:37

Thanks for a great game/mod. When my friend hosts he seems to have the immortal priv; he doesn't get hungry and when he dies he comes right back to the same spot with the same equipment. How can he disable that?

Also, I have looked around but can't figure out crafting. I have a workbench and have leveled up my wood and crafting 1 or 2 notches but still can't seem to make a pickaxe or sword using the standard Minetest formula (sticks and planks.)

spock the elder

by spock the elder » Tue Oct 28, 2014 23:49

Hello,
When I try to run the Adventuretest game, I get this error:

18:42:10: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
18:42:10: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from
18:42:10: ERROR[main]: /home/samuel/.minetest/games/adventuretest/mods/food/init.lua:
18:42:10: ERROR[main]: .../samuel/.minetest/games/adventuretest/mods/food/init.lua:54: attempt to call field 'override_item' (a nil value)
18:42:10: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
18:42:10: ERROR[main]: .../samuel/.minetest/games/adventuretest/mods/food/init.lua:54: in function 'support'
18:42:10: ERROR[main]: .../samuel/.minetest/games/adventuretest/mods/food/init.lua:147: in main chunk
18:42:10: ERROR[main]: ======= END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
18:42:10: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run /home/samuel/.minetest/games/adventuretest/mods/food/init.lua
18:42:10: ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run /home/samuel/.minetest/games/adventuretest/mods/food/init.lua

I'm on version 0.4.9 installed from a .deb package on linux mint 17, in case that helps.

Esteban

GitHub: Esteban-
IRC: Esteban
In-game: Esteban

by Esteban » Wed Oct 29, 2014 00:36

spock the elder wrote:Hello,
When I try to run the Adventuretest game, I get this error:

18:42:10: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
18:42:10: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from
18:42:10: ERROR[main]: /home/samuel/.minetest/games/adventuretest/mods/food/init.lua:
18:42:10: ERROR[main]: .../samuel/.minetest/games/adventuretest/mods/food/init.lua:54: attempt to call field 'override_item' (a nil value)
18:42:10: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
18:42:10: ERROR[main]: .../samuel/.minetest/games/adventuretest/mods/food/init.lua:54: in function 'support'
18:42:10: ERROR[main]: .../samuel/.minetest/games/adventuretest/mods/food/init.lua:147: in main chunk
18:42:10: ERROR[main]: ======= END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
18:42:10: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run /home/samuel/.minetest/games/adventuretest/mods/food/init.lua
18:42:10: ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run /home/samuel/.minetest/games/adventuretest/mods/food/init.lua

I'm on version 0.4.9 installed from a .deb package on linux mint 17, in case that helps.

The version you are using is outdated, try the game using minetest 4.10 stable from minetest.net/download
or download a development version from the "Builds" forum.

maikerumine

GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Fri Nov 14, 2014 13:42

My son and I absolutely love this game! The amount of work you put into it really shows, great job!
There were some odd glitches though, when switching from creative to survival mode, the hearts didn't show up and it was not clear what my levels were, I was hosting as server, not single player mode. Also noted that the first time around in death, I was sorta invincible, could continue where I left off and there were no bones. I may need to do a few re-starts from scratch to see if I can duplicate this, as I am able to die now.

fireuser

by fireuser » Tue Nov 18, 2014 00:11

your game is amazing, but I think stamina should recover quicker. when you walk you should not use stamina or at least less stamina. Every thing else is great. the magic is especial good. It is a great game continue the good work. :)

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Tue Nov 18, 2014 00:15

fireuser wrote:your game is amazing, but I think stamina should recover quicker. when you walk you should not use stamina or at least less stamina. Every thing else is great. the magic is especial good. It is a great game continue the good work. :)

That stamina part got on my nerves. It even hindered movement when I started flying! I've deleted the file beeing responsible for that behaviour in my local version.
Hope BrandonReese comes back eventually and gets rid of too much slowdown. There are also other aspects where the game might be developed further. It's a nice start for people who look for an adventure game.
A list of my mods can be found here.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Tue Nov 18, 2014 19:04

I am amazed at the responses I am reading, thank you all for your kind words. I have been away for several months (minetest became a bit of an addiction that was cutting into my work so I just had to stop altogether for a while). I do plan on coming back to this project. I have lots of things to finish in November but I'm hoping to have some free time in December that I can use to work on this game.

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Tue Nov 18, 2014 19:29

Oh cool! I look forward to more features :)
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

4aiman

by 4aiman » Wed Nov 19, 2014 09:34

Yay!!! :)
*nonsense*
Feel fancy 'bout replicating some upcoming features <_<
*end of nonsense*

theoluk

by theoluk » Thu Nov 20, 2014 18:41

How do you wake up from Sleep? Also, neither apples nor bread are healing me or restoring my hunger, just being used up.

philipbenr

GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: WisdomFire or philipbenr

by philipbenr » Thu Nov 20, 2014 21:58

/stand, or /sit. You can also punch (I think).

MirceaKitsune

GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Sat Jun 13, 2015 13:56

This looks like there is finally a Minetest game to my liking! Many nodes and features, while still keeping a consistent and good looking art style. Really do want!

It does not work with latest Minetest GIT however. The game isn't even listed in the games list from the main menu for some reason. Is anyone still working on it and can fix it please?

[EDIT] Got it to start up, but it crashes immediately after the world loads, apparently with an error about the HUD.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Sat Jun 13, 2015 16:21

I want to pick back up and start working on this again, but I just don't have a lot of time. I'll see if I push the hud fix tonight. There is a pull request to fix it so I'll see about merging it.

If I get really serious about this game it will probably become a minetest fork. I think I'm going to have to write the mobs and mapgen in C++. On my system just wondering around the map in single player there is significant lag. The lua mapgen and mobs seem to cause the performance issue and maybe rewriting some of than in C++ will help.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sat Jun 13, 2015 16:48

BrandonReese wrote:I want to pick back up and start working on this again, but I just don't have a lot of time. I'll see if I push the hud fix tonight. There is a pull request to fix it so I'll see about merging it.

Sounds very good! Your game is one that should definitely be included. Good to see you're back!

BrandonReese wrote:If I get really serious about this game it will probably become a minetest fork. I think I'm going to have to write the mobs and mapgen in C++. On my system just wondering around the map in single player there is significant lag. The lua mapgen and mobs seem to cause the performance issue and maybe rewriting some of than in C++ will help.

Lua mapgen does not need to cause lag. I'm pretty satisified with the speed mg_villages has by now. Granted, that one doesn't change every single mapblock (only those that have villages or parts thereof inside them). Anyway...if you want villages, you're no longer limited to a specific mapgen and can choose whichever you want. Withhin limits, of course. There ought to be...ground...of some sort in the mapchunk containing height level 0, but that's a very soft limit. It even works with singlenode mapgen and air, but...then you get floating islands, and that does look odd.

Mobs don't need to be implemented in C++ either. There have been two or three servers recently which do provide mobs and which work surprisingly well. rnd's lab (now closed?) provided fighting against mobs and worked astonishingly well. Xanandu uses lots of mobs on a regular basis, with many players online. Lord of the Test comes with mobs that hop around happily and even attack their enemies if they see them.

What we don't have yet is an integration of both parts. mg_villages just doesn't really have any mobs. It only has very static traders which never move around. A real game ought to provide mobs. Villagers ought to move around (as they do in your game), "talk" to the player, have their own agenda. Animals such as chicken and cows ought to be found close to villages and not in the wilderness.

Some of the problems I stated in an earlier post regarding your Adventuretest game are relevant for a server. Servers need things like /spawn, /home, a protection system and locked chests. Maybe restarting your server (or a new one) hosted by whoever's willing to help might help in getting feedback from players and increase motivation to finish the game :-)
A list of my mods can be found here.

PreviousNext

Return to Subgame Releases