Minetest 0.4.13

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

Re: Minetest 0.4.13

by benrob0329 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 14:57

I think that a split renderer would be great, a legacy one for old/underpowered machines, and a new one for modern machines.

IMO the new one should focus on looking great, that way MT can finally have good graphics (dynamic shadows, shaders galore, reflections, etc)

Of corse settings need to be togglable...

ABJ

GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

by ABJ » Fri Jan 08, 2016 15:32

Actually RealBadAngel said to split the shaders and non-shaders renderers. It was to preserve some tangent space feature.
EDIT: I got it wrong. Also, will someone PLEASE fix that red tint problem? I want shaders.

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Fri Jan 08, 2016 20:50

To be clear, the vertextangents commit was tested by 1 person at the time and seemed to have very little effect on no-shader performance, that's why it was merged. Only later with further testing did 2 others discover the no-shader FPS drop of 25%. Hopefully RBA will be able to fix this.

ABJ

by ABJ » Sat Jan 09, 2016 06:11

Strange. First I hear of "breaking working shit in the name of eye candy" and now this.

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Sat Jan 09, 2016 16:14

I am amazed by the negative talk about RBAs work. He has put a lot of time and effort into minetest. Do people really think he is evil and trying to destroy the game?

I don't know what actually happened but I am quite sure that he deserves a lot of respect for the great work he has done. If a mistake was made then give him time to work it out.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Sat Jan 09, 2016 19:04

Don wrote:Do people really think he is evil and trying to destroy the game?

Criticising someone isn't calling them "evil".

I am personally not saying RBA is "evil" on the contrary, I think he does it out of goodness. He's a talented coder and can do wonders with Minetest's graphical features. What I complain about is that he has a record of breaking things on the low end to push high-end features ("eye candy"), and then ignoring users and basically telling them "buy a better machine/graphics card/whatever or GTFO".

My machine is 6 years old and still runs as if it were new. Of course my graphics card can't cope with the latest graphics gimmicks, but that's no excuse to break working stuff.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

Don

by Don » Sat Jan 09, 2016 19:41

I wasn't referring to the constructive criticism. I have seen a number of comments about this. Some even going as far as suggesting RBA put a virus in the code.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

ABJ

by ABJ » Sun Jan 10, 2016 08:42

Actually, we were just talking about THAT commit. And no hate for RBA, but we forgot to write anything in appreciation of his other work. We suck. Particularly me, who got pissed off about the fps drop and termed it a "virus". Although I wrote that it was an exaggeration on my part.

EDIT: Blame whoever told whoever told whoever told whoever told rubenwardy about this for the negative attitude I think.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:28

I got this info from irc and github issues. I was using blame as a specific git terminology, as in the fps drop from a commit by rba that added tangent space vertices or whatever, rather than a social thing. I said "Basically" as there are other factors in play.

I still get 30-60fps so doesn't effect me that much. I like most of rbas work, particularly with the minimap and water shaders. I'm not so keen about normalmaps on the 16x16 textures, as I think they aren't subtle enough. Maybe at higher res they'll look better. However, I don't like rbas attitude of "if it works then who cares how it's made", as that could potentially cause hard to maintain and buggy code

I don't think that the fps drop from the commit is from bad code, but rather the fact the more data needs to be passed around now, which older machines won't like.

AnxiousInfusion

GitHub: AnxiousInfusion[GitLab]
IRC: AnxiousInfusion
In-game: AnxiousInfusion

by AnxiousInfusion » Sun Jan 10, 2016 16:40

Reading IRC, it seems to me the opposite is true. RBA is apparently the only one who knows what this game needs and everyone just fights him 100% of the way.

Don

by Don » Sun Jan 10, 2016 17:42

The main reason I said that is because I get tired of people attacking people instead of issues. RBA is not the only one who gets personally attacked. If someone does something that you disagree with then talk about it and see if there can be a solution. By attacking the person instead of the issue you push people away and eventually they will get tired of it and leave the community. Imagine how minetest would advance without RBA. Imagine the mapgen if paramat left. Not only the core team but the mod devs as well.

Ad hominems are a logical fallacy. If we criticize the topic/issue we can come up with solutions. The developers will be more willing to address issues when they are not being insulted. Theoretically the development would advance faster and the code would have less errors since the devs would care more.

Dragonop

GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Mon Jan 11, 2016 01:12

And always remember that nobody is getting anything from working on minetest, all of them are volunteers and they code because they want, they aren't in the obligation to work in Minetest.
+1 for Don, that explained it perfectly.

ABJ

by ABJ » Mon Jan 11, 2016 07:57

+100
We get too heated up about issues sometimes. It's about time idiots like me remember that.

Don

by Don » Mon Jan 11, 2016 13:02

ABJ wrote:+100
We get too heated up about issues sometimes. It's about time idiots like me remember that.

You are not an idiot for making a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes. Like I said before we should address the issue instead of the person even if it is about yourself.

ABJ

by ABJ » Mon Jan 11, 2016 13:18

(Thank you for telling me I am not an idiot :))), but I believe I did address the issue.
ABJ wrote:We get too heated up about issues sometimes.
)
+100 for your good post anyway.

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 02:32

@Don I agree completely.

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Mon Feb 08, 2016 07:04

We have just merged a commit by RBA that means vertextangents are only used if shaders are enabled.
With shaders disabled the former 21% drop in FPS is now eliminated.

philipbenr

GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: WisdomFire or philipbenr

by philipbenr » Sun Feb 14, 2016 00:25

Don wrote:I am amazed by the negative talk about RBAs work. He has put a lot of time and effort into minetest. Do people really think he is evil and trying to destroy the game?

I don't know what actually happened but I am quite sure that he deserves a lot of respect for the great work he has done. If a mistake was made then give him time to work it out.

+1

alucard112

GitHub: thepolice
IRC: thepolice
In-game: alucard321

by alucard112 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 18:17

good morning.
I have a problem:
two years ago I started to play minetes in version 0.4.6 and meanwhile out new versions.
I would spend my world and built to version 0.4.14 or 0.4.13.
I have already asked in another forum and I have suggested passing the folder / worlds of the old version to the folder / worlds of the new version. I tried that and it did not work.
seriously immensely I appreciate your help for this as the most recent versions have new and better blocks. especially 0.4.14.
first of all, Thanks.
sorry if some words are misspelled. I only speak Spanish and I'm using google translator.
I appreciate your fast response.
"Ask about Illuminaty"☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻

srifqi

GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Sun Jun 05, 2016 22:46

alucard112 wrote:good morning.
I have a problem:
two years ago I started to play minetes in version 0.4.6 and meanwhile out new versions.
I have already asked in another forum and I have suggested passing the folder / worlds of the old version to the folder / worlds of the new version. I tried that and it did not work.
seriously immensely I appreciate your help for this as the most recent versions have new and better blocks. especially 0.4.14.
first of all, Thanks.
sorry if some words are misspelled. I only speak Spanish and I'm using google translator.

Are there any error message? What kind of problem that occurs? Can you take some screenshots? Please ask in Bugs and Problems forum. Also, you can ask in Spanish forum.
I'm from Indonesia! Saya dari Indonesia!
Terjemahkan Minetest!
Mods by me. Modifikasi oleh saya.

Pronounce my nick as in: es-rifqi (IPA: /es rifˈki/)

MineYoshi

GitHub: MineYosh
IRC: MineYoshi
In-game: Kirby_Retro

by MineYoshi » Sun Jun 12, 2016 20:52

srifqi wrote:
alucard112 wrote:good morning.
I have a problem:
first of all, Thanks.

Are there any error message? What kind of problem that occurs? Can you take some screenshots? Please ask in Bugs and Problems forum. Also, you can ask in Spanish forum.

I answered him in the Spanish Forum...
Exactly what happen?
Minetest don't identify the world or don't show it in the worlds list?
People talk about freedom of speech, so i'll say that God exists.
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt
I'm the Officially 1st ABJist in the world ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

ABJ

by ABJ » Thu Jun 30, 2016 15:24

philipbenr wrote:
Don wrote:I am amazed by the negative talk about RBAs work. He has put a lot of time and effort into minetest. Do people really think he is evil and trying to destroy the game?

+1

RBA is dead and gone, but before that, he has resolved the cause of our whining.

Previous

Return to Minetest News