Minetest B3Dexport - custom blender to .b3d exporter

sofar

GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Minetest B3Dexport - custom blender to .b3d exporter

by sofar » Mon Mar 21, 2016 21:45

There's been a lot of confusion about how to export blender models for minetest in the past, and many people have struggled to find the right export plugin to make .b3d files that work in minetest. For this reason I've modified a version of B3Dexport.py and we've stashed it in the minetest github.com organization:

https://github.com/minetest/B3Dexport

This version is different than others, in that

(1) it's an older version than the other that you can find on github.com, most importantly because the newer version does not produce coordinates that minetest/irrlicht can properly use.
(2) it contains a modified exporter that (by default) omits inclusion of linked texture files.
(3) it's default export options are set to work correctly with minetest out-of-the-box.

We aim to maintain this exporter code such that it produces working .b3d files with the latest blender and minetest versions. If there are bugs, please submit them to the github issue tracker.

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes

Re: Minetest B3Dexport - custom blender to .b3d exporter

by TumeniNodes » Mon Mar 21, 2016 22:57

This is awesome, thank you
Flick?... Flick who?

MineYoshi

GitHub: MineYosh
IRC: MineYoshi
In-game: Kirby_Retro

by MineYoshi » Mon Mar 21, 2016 23:07

+1000

Very great work!
People talk about freedom of speech, so i'll say that God exists.
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt
I'm the Officially 1st ABJist in the world ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

stu

GitHub: stujones11

by stu » Wed Mar 23, 2016 20:41

I have been using the version from here https://sourceforge.net/p/supertuxkart/code/HEAD/tree/media/trunk/blender_25/ which seems to be what this was based on and I would like to know what you mean by this
not kept up to date with more recent versions - these are known to break the models' orientation and are thus not usable.

The current version seems to work pretty much the same as this other than it produces a slightly smaller binary, I see no visible difference in-game.
I would possibly use this if you did keep it up to date as the texture unlink option is undeniably handy when making models for minetest.

Unfortunately, it seems that there is a problem with the b3d format when it comes to bone attachment, attached objects appear to switch sides and direction when the model is animated. See my latest findings on #2813

I currently have no idea what causes this but I guess it has to be either Irrlicht, minetest, the exporter(s) or the model itself. I have tested several revisions of the exporter and they all seem to exhibit the same behaviour.

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:37

How to run this script? :)i'm a noob
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
Hi, my username is azekill_DIABLO and i'm an exelent bug-maker(yeah...i know...i have a bad reputation)

azekill_DIABLO said: Mineyoshi+ABJ+Baggins= TOPIC HIJACKED.
My Mods and Stuff | Voxellar | VoxBox on GITHUB | M.I.L.A Monster engine
WEIRD MODDING CONTEST !!!

sofar

GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Mon Apr 25, 2016 02:19

azekill_DIABLO wrote:How to run this script? :)i'm a noob

You have to install it in blender. If you don't know how, you can probably find a video or howto online by googling for e.g. "blender install plugin".

amadin

GitHub: Amadin

by amadin » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:51

How to convert .b3d file to blender format?

jbb

GitHub: JBBgameich
IRC: JBB
In-game: JBB

by jbb » Fri Oct 07, 2016 13:14

If you mean how to import B3D files to blender, from where you can export as any filetype, have a look at this: https://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26311
Looks good, but I haven't tested my self.
Minetest runs better on Linux. So I'm using Linux.

Return to Minetest News