Minetest 0.4.15

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: Minetest 0.4.15

by Wuzzy » Fri Feb 10, 2017 21:42

lol...

First post has no link to it, and the wiki (http://dev.minetest.net/Changelog) is still out of date. :P

Is this now standard release practise? Will future changelogs now always be made by community members instead of the core developers? xD
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

Sergey

by Sergey » Sat Feb 11, 2017 00:02

Wuzzy wrote:lol...

First post has no link to it, and the wiki (http://dev.minetest.net/Changelog) is still out of date. :P

Is this now standard release practise? Will future changelogs now always be made by community members instead of the core developers? xD

Yeah, I thought that changelog is something that developers write in wiki after the release, but not community in forum guessing differencies while playing.

Andrey01

In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 13:54

When i install new map and spawn on one place, if i rename my nickname and go in that map then i spawn in other place.Really mustn`t be one spawn-place in map?For example in servers that`s not

poikilos

GitHub: poikilos
In-game: poikilos

by poikilos » Sun Mar 05, 2017 15:34

Hey, this update is really cool. However, since mapgen v7 is the new default, who is the expert able to update the page http://dev.minetest.net/Mapgen_V7 (the first result on google for minetest mapgen v7)? Perhaps it can at least link to some sections of the api documentation, and if there is more general info about v7 not in the api documentation, the dev link above can provide that info.

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Mon Mar 06, 2017 05:52

Hehe as usual the wiki is about 3 years out of date.
I would be that expert, i can write something but i don't have wiki access.

JiCeyCraft

by JiCeyCraft » Mon Mar 06, 2017 08:52

Okay, guys, there's something that needs some explanation... *grumf!*

I have downloaded 0.4.15 for my Windows7...
and unzipped it.

Now WHAT? What am I supposed to do with this new folder? Hum?
HOW will I make a proper installation of MineTest 0.4.15? Hum?
Instructions, please? >:(

poikilos

by poikilos » Mon Mar 06, 2017 14:11

JiCeyCraft wrote:Okay, guys, there's something that needs some explanation... *grumf!*

and unzipped it.

You can get a minetest.conf file from somewhere such as the one I made and recommend if you have an Intel HD or better video card: https://github.com/poikilos/EnlivenMinetest/raw/master/minetest.conf--right-click that link then save as, then put the file in your Minetest folder you unzipped. Then you can run minetest in the bin folder. If you put my minetest.conf in the right place, you should see minetest.conf listed in the same place as bin and minetest.conf.example.

Optionally, you can rename the folder you unzipped to Minetest then move it somewhere such as C:\Games which I recommend. Then if you upgrade, you can rename it back and put the new Minetest folder in there, so that if you make an icon it will continue to work (will always point to the standard location C:\Games\Minetest\bin\minetest.exe).

You can make an icon for Minetest: go to the bin folder, right-click Minetest, then "Send To," "Desktop (Create Shortcut)"

If you don't know how to download subgames, I suggest finding out more about that in order to get more features in the game since minetest_game just has the basics. Some of the unofficial builds have subgames built in. Otherwise you can join a public server and mods for that server will automatically download.
Last edited by poikilos on Mon Mar 06, 2017 14:39, edited 3 times in total.

poikilos

by poikilos » Mon Mar 06, 2017 14:26

paramat wrote:Hehe as usual the wiki is about 3 years out of date.
I would be that expert, i can write something but i don't have wiki access.

Hmm, giving developers Wiki access may provide a way for improving the Wiki. Any chance of that happening? I assume that would be safe enough at least for core developers. Even if more contributors were allowed, there must be some way to do rollback since it is powered by MediaWiki. There is even a lightweight revision approval plugin: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Approved_Revs

Sergey

by Sergey » Mon Mar 06, 2017 14:32

paramat wrote:I would be that expert, i can write something but i don't have wiki access.

WAT? Core developer does not have wiki access?

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 20:01

WTF? No wiki access for core devs? This is crazy and needs to be fixed ASAP.
I trust the core devs 100% in that they won't vandalize the wiki.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 21:29

Anyone can have wiki access, they just need to ask Calinou. It's because the captcha is broken (and has been for ages)

Sergey

by Sergey » Mon Mar 06, 2017 22:33

rubenwardy wrote:It's because the captcha is broken (and has been for ages)

Why am I not surprised?

JiCeyCraft

by JiCeyCraft » Tue Mar 07, 2017 06:00

poikilos wrote:
JiCeyCraft wrote:Okay, guys, there's something that needs some explanation... *grumf!*

and unzipped it.

You can get a minetest.conf file from somewhere such as the one I made and recommend if you have an Intel HD or better video card: https://github.com/poikilos/EnlivenMinetest/raw/master/minetest.conf--right-click that link then save as, then put the file in your Minetest folder you unzipped. Then you can run minetest in the bin folder. If you put my minetest.conf in the right place, you should see minetest.conf listed in the same place as bin and minetest.conf.example.

Optionally, you can rename the folder you unzipped to Minetest then move it somewhere such as C:\Games which I recommend. Then if you upgrade, you can rename it back and put the new Minetest folder in there, so that if you make an icon it will continue to work (will always point to the standard location C:\Games\Minetest\bin\minetest.exe).

You can make an icon for Minetest: go to the bin folder, right-click Minetest, then "Send To," "Desktop (Create Shortcut)"

If you don't know how to download subgames, I suggest finding out more about that in order to get more features in the game since minetest_game just has the basics. Some of the unofficial builds have subgames built in. Otherwise you can join a public server and mods for that server will automatically download.

IT WORKED! Thank you! Yee-hah!

Wuzzy

Still no changelog after 3 months

by Wuzzy » Sat Apr 01, 2017 00:20

Okay, this is getting absurd. It's now been over 3 months (!) since the release and there is still no official changelog.
Is there any reason for this? If there is a problem, maybe we can find a solution together.

Can we please get an official statement whether the practice of writing changelogs can be considered to be abandoned? Meaning that there will be no more changelogs in future Minetest versions as well.
Or was version 0.4.14 just an exception?

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sat Apr 01, 2017 02:23

It's because no one volunteered

Sergey

by Sergey » Sat Apr 01, 2017 03:28

rubenwardy wrote:It's because no one volunteered

Who must be volunteer(s)? It's up to developers.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sat Apr 01, 2017 14:45

I agree. I think this is just a lame excuse. Volunteers can't read the mind of the developers when they wrote the code.

In my opinion, it is generally the best that the developers who wrote the code are also the ones who document their own code, because they know their own code very well. Moving the responsibility of documentation to 3rd parties is a bad excuse becaue it also has the danger that it leads to lower quality documentation. The 3rd parties will also have more work because they not only have to write the documentation, but also to analyze and understand the code of someone else. Something which the original author does not have to do.

Also, not writing documentation also makes it harder for future volunteers to contribute.

Besides, it is not really true that no one wanted to volunteer. There is an unofficial changelog somewhere in this thread. But there's no official statement on how “true” or “complete” it is, so I suppose it is still missing some key changes. :-/

Previous

Return to Minetest News