I'm leaving minetest

est31

I'm leaving minetest

by est31 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 14:13

I have joined minetest development back in 2015, and helped shape the engine for about 2 continued years. I have learned many useful things during that time, and minetest has, I hope, improved due to my contributions.

Now I am leaving development. About the reasons of my departure: Judging the PRs proposed in the queue is quite time consuming, if you want to do it right and actually read the code and check whether its behaviour is correct, and whether it fits into the design, or whether it should be doing stuff differently. Doing this is not easy, and I think I wasn't able to sustain that level of attention for some time already.

Also, I've used to propose changes myself, writing code myself, but somehow I've lost the drive to write code for minetest.

I also don't play the game itself any more, which has been what brought me into minetest development the first place, and which has often been a motivation for development ideas. Often I found a bug while playing, made a patch, and proposed that patch later on in IRC, getting it merged within a matter of hours. It's great to have the source code available to make this kind of self-serve bugfixing possible. Free (as in freedom) software is awesome!

Minetest is the #1 free software / open source voxel like game around. Its in all major Linux and BSD application repositories, even installed by default in Endless OS (and their OS is quite trimmed down). Kidscode bases their game on Minetest. The Minetest community is alive and constantly seeing new faces, including mod and engine coders. People have been coming and going before me, and they will continue to do so after my departure. Minetest will very well survive without me.

About the future, I won't be gone from the face of the open source world. I'll be most likely coding stuff in Rust, working on different Rust projects of my own. I think its an awesome language, there are awesome smart and knowledgeable people to learn from. Sadly the mainstream Rust community is not as great as the minetest community, but I'm not there because of the community.

There is one sole minetest responsibility which I want to keep: Packaging minetest for F-Droid. Please contact me once there is a new release around! The best way is through IRC PM.

Someone should look after merging the translations from weblate from time to time, I have done this in the past, roughly once per month. If you are a core dev and want to do it, I can provide assistance.

I want to thank for all the love and companionship throughout the years, and for all the lessons about development that I've learned.

Good luck with Minetest and good bye.

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

Re: I'm leaving minetest

by ExeterDad » Sat Mar 18, 2017 14:53

Dang :(

But do what works best for you :)
Thanks so much for all you've done!
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Kibbie and I have a beautiful public server now! HOMETOWN

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Sat Mar 18, 2017 15:29

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/graphs/contributors
Thanks so much for the huge contribution you have made, 278 commits and 181,677 additions.

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Sat Mar 18, 2017 17:36

Thank you est31, gotta follow your interests.
Flick?... Flick who?

Onyx

In-game: onyx58

by Onyx » Sat Mar 18, 2017 18:12

Thanks for all Est31, I'm sad to hear your departure but I wish you lots of good things for the future.

Good bye.
"Science sans conscience n'est que ruine de l'âme."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steinheim NodesNation : steinheim-minetest.servegame.com Pt : 28000

nrz

GitHub: nerzhul
IRC: nrzkt
In-game: nrz

by nrz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 08:00

have a nice rustlang life est31, thanks for SRP auth :)

burli

by burli » Sun Mar 19, 2017 08:35

In my dreams I rewrite Minetest in rust ;-)

I'm sad that you leave the community. Wish you all the best

TenPlus1

GitHub: tenplus1

by TenPlus1 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 09:00

Sorry to see you go dude, and a huge thanks for everything you've done for Minetest :)

Good luck on your new interests :)

ErrorNull

by ErrorNull » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:51

continue to do what you enjoy and what motivates you. thank you for all your contributions est31!

cHyper

IRC: cHyper
In-game: cHyper

by cHyper » Sun Mar 19, 2017 15:36

thanks for all you 've done for this project and the community 'll thanks you for that.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 15:41

It's important to do what you enjoy and follow your interests. Thank you for your contributions, and I wish you the best of luck :)

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Sat Apr 01, 2017 14:27

googbye, and continuation :)
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
Hi, my username is azekill_DIABLO and i'm an exelent bug-maker(yeah...i know...i have a bad reputation)

azekill_DIABLO said: Mineyoshi+ABJ+Baggins= TOPIC HIJACKED.
My Mods and Stuff | Voxellar | VoxBox on GITHUB | M.I.L.A Monster engine
WEIRD MODDING CONTEST !!!

ABJ

GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

by ABJ » Sun Apr 02, 2017 08:49

Finally a dev who hasn't had a terminal argument
Bye cya :)

Return to Minetest News