[0.4.7] Mod System

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

[0.4.7] Mod System

by PilzAdam » Tue May 21, 2013 21:55

Hello everyone!
The mod system has changed a bit. User installed mods are not per game anymore. Install them in:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
$path_user/mods

For windows builds and run_in_place linux version that is:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
<your_minetest_folder>/mods/

and for globally installed linux versions (create if needed):
~/.minetest/mods/

The mods are enabled per world (disabled by default to not screw up already existing worlds). So, if you install a mod you need to go to the "Configure" window for the world in the singleplayer tab and enable it there, or, write this to world.mt:
load_mod_<modname> = true

This system will be used in 0.4.7, so if you update make sure to move all your mods from mods/<minetest, survival, build, whatever gameid>/ to mods/

Games are not affected by this change.
Last edited by PilzAdam on Wed May 22, 2013 10:44, edited 1 time in total.

qznc

by qznc » Wed May 22, 2013 07:20

PilzAdam wrote:Hello everyone!
Mods are not installed per game anymore.
[...]

This sounds incoherent.

My interpretation:

• Games behave and are written as before. Hence they include their own mods and these are always active.
  • Mods outside of games are disabled by default, but can be enabled via menu at world creation.
  • Worlds remember their mods, so reentering a world activates mods as before.

Can you disable mods of a game at world creation? E.g. start a HungryGame without the drowning mod.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Wed May 22, 2013 10:46

qznc wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:Hello everyone!
Mods are not installed per game anymore.
[...]

This sounds incoherent.

My interpretation:

• Games behave and are written as before. Hence they include their own mods and these are always active.
  • Mods outside of games are disabled by default, but can be enabled via menu at world creation.
  • Worlds remember their mods, so reentering a world activates mods as before.

Can you disable mods of a game at world creation? E.g. start a HungryGame without the drowning mod.

Sorry for the confusion, I changed the sentence a bit:
PilzAdam wrote:User installed mods are not per game anymore.

I hope that makes it a bit more clear.

Your interpretation is correct.

You cant disable a mod of a game (e.g. you cant use minetest_game without the "wool" mod).

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Wed May 22, 2013 17:39

Hybrid Dog wrote:Why don't work worldmods now?

Worldmods (i.e. mods in the worldmods/ folder in the world) are not affected by this.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Wed May 22, 2013 17:56

Hybrid Dog wrote:but since luahud the "/" is marked when I press / to say a command

I had that too, but its gone for some reason.

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Wed May 22, 2013 18:13

Pressing "/" and having the dialog come up with that "/" highlighted has been a bug for a long while now - it comes and goes, with no apparent pattern.
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

Casimir

by Casimir » Wed May 22, 2013 18:39

Why?

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Thu May 23, 2013 09:54

Nice.

Originally I though this was the case until survival and build was introduced, and i discovered it.

It is much better this way.

sdzen

by sdzen » Sat May 25, 2013 18:45

they should be both per game and global, IE the old system goes over the new one? I complained about this in the original pull request. Glad to see I was ignored in my worries
[h]Zen S.D.[/h] The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Sat May 25, 2013 21:23

sdzen wrote:they should be both per game and global, IE the old system goes over the new one? I complained about this in the original pull request. Glad to see I was ignored in my worries
I agree. I fought for this in irc but they don't want to. My suggestion is adding another folder in the mods folder for it. Like mods/world/mod here and mods/game/gameid/mods here. It is good to see one person sharing my idea. With the mod manager get rid of the add on thingy and ,make
-per world
-<gamid>
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

onpon4

by onpon4 » Sat May 25, 2013 22:20

Well, this would be very nice if there is a graphical interface within the game for easily toggling what mods are being used, rather than having to move them all over the place. Just make sure it's easy to enable them all; I tend to use 60+ mods, and it would be tedious to have to go through and click 60 checkboxes or type 60 parameters into a config file.

Evergreen

GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Sat May 25, 2013 22:32

onpon4 wrote:Well, this would be very nice if there is a graphical interface within the game for easily toggling what mods are being used, rather than having to move them all over the place. Just make sure it's easy to enable them all; I tend to use 60+ mods, and it would be tedious to have to go through and click 60 checkboxes or type 60 parameters into a config file.

They have a mod interface in the configuration tab for specific worlds.
"Help! I searched for a mod but I couldn't find it!"
http://krock-works.16mb.com/MTstuff/modSearch.php

sdzen

by sdzen » Sun May 26, 2013 11:26

anyone find out how to enable and disable the mods via the cmd?
I haven't and unlike some people the gui isn't my first choice to start up minetest. :)

edit: I know the other way but honestly.... it sucks.
Last edited by sdzen on Sun May 26, 2013 11:28, edited 1 time in total.
Owner of the Zelo's

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sun May 26, 2013 11:28

sdzen wrote:anyone find out how to enable and disable the mods via the cmd?
I haven't and unlike some people the gui isn't my first choice to start up minetest. :)

echo "load_mod_<modname> = <true/false>" >> worlds/<worldname>/world.mt

or
vim worlds/<worldname>/world.mt

after each startup all missing mods are written with false into the file.
Last edited by PilzAdam on Sun May 26, 2013 11:28, edited 1 time in total.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Thu May 30, 2013 00:09

PilzAdam wrote:You cant disable a mod of a game (e.g. you cant use minetest_game without the "wool" mod).

Why not allow the same setting for mods in the world's game directory, but default the game mods to "true" if the setting isn't present? This would allow users to add "load_mod_wool = false" to the world.mt file explicitly for a world using the "minetest"/minetest_game game type, but would not affect the current default behavior.
Last edited by prestidigitator on Thu May 30, 2013 00:10, edited 1 time in total.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Thu May 30, 2013 11:15

prestidigitator wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:You cant disable a mod of a game (e.g. you cant use minetest_game without the "wool" mod).

Why not allow the same setting for mods in the world's game directory, but default the game mods to "true" if the setting isn't present? This would allow users to add "load_mod_wool = false" to the world.mt file explicitly for a world using the "minetest"/minetest_game game type, but would not affect the current default behavior.

Games shouldnt be modified by users. The game creator should take care that the game is playable and that everything works.

tinoesroho

by tinoesroho » Thu May 30, 2013 15:58

Games shouldn't be modified. If they are, they're no longer that game- they are a fork. :-(
We are what we create.

I tinker and occasionally make (lousy) mods. Currently building an MMO subgame and updating mods. Pirate Party of Canada member. Sporadic author. 21 years old.

My github:
https://github.com/tinoesroho/

Stefek

by Stefek » Fri May 31, 2013 13:52

Does this have to be so complicated? I put set of mods in loads of directories and none so far are working.
So please, can someone explain to us nonprogramers how this damn mods working. There are mods directory in main foder, but it is not working so please help..

Jonathan

by Jonathan » Fri May 31, 2013 16:51

PilzAdam wrote:
prestidigitator wrote:

Games shouldnt be modified by users. The game creator should take care that the game is playable and that everything works.

I personally would like the ability to turn on/off mods that are part of the game, which should not be a big deal if the depends.txt files are correct. For instance, I would like to turn the bones mod off.

@Stefek:
After you put the mod folder in the mod directory, in the latest build you have to enable the mods by configuring the map you create (configure button is in the main menu). They are off by default.
Last edited by Jonathan on Fri May 31, 2013 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
By perseverance the snail reached the ark.
- Charles Spurgeon

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Fri May 31, 2013 18:22

Stefek wrote:Does this have to be so complicated? I put set of mods in loads of directories and none so far are working.
So please, can someone explain to us nonprogramers how this damn mods working. There are mods directory in main foder, but it is not working so please help..

This is not complicated at all. You just need to read the second part of the first post:
PilzAdam wrote:The mods are enabled per world (disabled by default to not screw up already existing worlds). So, if you install a mod you need to go to the "Configure" window for the world in the singleplayer tab and enable it there, or, write this to world.mt:

wtebmaster

by wtebmaster » Wed Jun 05, 2013 21:41

So world.mt being the file that is in minetest folder/worlds/world, correct?

Also with the configure tab, the only thing that shows up is "Add-Ons". I click that and save. When I load the game no mods are loaded.

I also tried opening world.mt and putting in "load_mod_modname = true". But when I did the configure thing I talked about above, Minetest would delete that.

What the heck is going on?

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Wed Jun 05, 2013 22:35

wtebmaster wrote:So world.mt being the file that is in minetest folder/worlds/world, correct?

Also with the configure tab, the only thing that shows up is "Add-Ons". I click that and save. When I load the game no mods are loaded.

I also tried opening world.mt and putting in "load_mod_modname = true". But when I did the configure thing I talked about above, Minetest would delete that.

What the heck is going on?

It should should list all the mods under "Add-Ons", you probably have none in your mods folder.

sdzen

by sdzen » Wed Jun 12, 2013 14:54

PilzAdam wrote:
Stefek wrote:Does this have to be so complicated? I put set of mods in loads of directories and none so far are working.

This is not complicated at all. You just need to read the second part of the first post:
PilzAdam wrote:The mods are enabled per world (disabled by default to not screw up already existing worlds). So, if you install a mod you need to go to the "Configure" window for the world in the singleplayer tab and enable it there, or, write this to world.mt:

So, why arent they enabled by default?
Owner of the Zelo's

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Wed Jun 12, 2013 15:17

Two buttons known as Enable All and Disable All are in the Map Configuration menu. Different game types may need their own mod folders (with nothing being changed concerning minetest_game,) but the basic idea is better than what past ideas offered.

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Sat Jun 22, 2013 16:46

I personally love the new system. I like being able to seperately mod each world.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.

Element

IRC: Elementwing4962
In-game: Elementwing4962

by Element » Tue Jun 25, 2013 05:31

can you tell me in a easier way to get the mods working
Join Me And My Team - thornfyregaming-mc.noip.me:25565

My Server Is 1.7.9

Topywo

by Topywo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:59

1. Download the mods

2. Extract/unzip the mods in this folder (Lubuntu, but Windows has something like it):

/home/topywo/minetest-minetest-f764297/mods

--- You placed the mods right when they are in the folder where's also (standard) this file:
mods_here.txt

3. Check in the minetest/mods folder:
a. if the 'modpacks' have a file called "modpack.txt" in them
b. when not a modpack use the 'simple' modname. Easiest to explain with some examples:
I. farming_plus-master --> remove the -master to change the name in 'farming_plus'
II. rubenwardy-chatplus-2e58e53 --> remove the author's name and the number --> 'chatplus'
III. altertrunks --> has already the right name
IV. When in doubt, check for the init.lua file for the right name

4. Check the dependencies
a. You can read the mods first post, open the depends.txt file or see the 'depends on:' (under the configure tab) to find out on which other mod(s) the mod you want depends.

5. Activate by creating or selecting a world, pressing the 'configure' tab and putting a check in the enable box. (When there isn't a small box, just click another mod first and then go back, it probably appears then). Save the configuration.

A little piece of advice: Try out with a 1 mod (select creative to see if the blocks are in your inventory). If that worked, try with 2 mods etc.

Edit: some text changes.
Last edited by Topywo on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:02, edited 1 time in total.

epsonok0

by epsonok0 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 20:03

I am starting to see that some changes to the games seem to fit the program minded people and not the average joes. Because the explanations are so technical that they can not be understood right away. This thread started with an explanation regarding mods. Then had to be clarified over about 9 posts. With debates in there too. Then those posts had to have there own debates. And honestly some of us. Sit here and wonder if this is all worth it. You would think it would be easier to just play the game. And not try to understand it.
But then again. I have a severe bronchial infection today. So im all ready miserable.
At one point I thought honestly that the game was gonna be abandoned. I play another clone and it happend there. But then I come in here and boom, there is a ton of discussion in the forums. But I still see one lacking thing. A user friendly version of the game.
Unless everyone who can program wishes to teach everyone who cant. Then I think that things like new mods. Should have an auto installer on them. And that the initial game should install to a standard directory.
Either that or the game should be made to update itself online from time to time and to install any mods that a user wants in there update.
I dont have much concern with how you feel about my opinion. Thats why its my opinion and not yours.

hoodedice

by hoodedice » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:03

epsonok0 wrote:I am starting to see that some changes to the games seem to fit the program minded people and not the average joes. Because the explanations are so technical that they can not be understood right away. This thread started with an explanation regarding mods. Then had to be clarified over about 9 posts. With debates in there too. Then those posts had to have there own debates. And honestly some of us. Sit here and wonder if this is all worth it. You would think it would be easier to just play the game. And not try to understand it.
But then again. I have a severe bronchial infection today. So im all ready miserable.
At one point I thought honestly that the game was gonna be abandoned. I play another clone and it happend there. But then I come in here and boom, there is a ton of discussion in the forums. But I still see one lacking thing. A user friendly version of the game.
Unless everyone who can program wishes to teach everyone who cant. Then I think that things like new mods. Should have an auto installer on them. And that the initial game should install to a standard directory.
Either that or the game should be made to update itself online from time to time and to install any mods that a user wants in there update.

As long as you JUST play the game, it IS more user-friendly than Minecraft.

Don't look at these discussions, if you don't want to use them (aka be a modder). Remember, the mod devving in minetest is still easier than in minecraft (lua vs C++)

Want self-update? Clone the mods from GitHub. Or wait for 0.4.8 . Or maybe implement the feature yourself.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Wed Sep 18, 2013 21:04

sdzen wrote:So, why arent they enabled by default?

Imagine you have two worlds, in one you want to have e.g. moretrees, and the other not. Now you install moretrees and start the world you *don't* want it on. You go and disable moretrees for that world, but now you have tons of unknown nodes to clean up.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

Return to Minetest News