Minetest 0.4.10

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: Minetest 0.4.10

by Krock » Sat Aug 02, 2014 16:04

GNUmat wrote:<snip>

Make sure, you've got the newest minetest_game, much things changed from 0.4.9 to 0.4.10.

There's the recipe of it: https://github.com/minetest/minetest_ga ... t.lua#L338
It uses gravel and a coal lump, as you already said.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

GNUmat

GitHub: gnugat
In-game: GNUmat

by GNUmat » Sat Aug 02, 2014 16:25

After a quick check I confirm that both server and client are in v0.4.10. I even found the pointed lines in the pointed files (the recipes in the lua file).

GNUmat

GitHub: gnugat
In-game: GNUmat

by GNUmat » Sat Aug 02, 2014 17:57

Ok I've found the solution: I created a `~/.minetest/minetest/minetest.conf` file with a `enable_tnt = true` line :) .
Anyway, great release! Just like @afflatus I'll have to find a new purpose for my crypt, I can't collect bones now :'( .

Now it's time to create some TNT cannons! :D

balthazariv

by balthazariv » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:50

Hello,

I can't create new world, i have this error "No worldname given or no game selected".
thanks

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:46

balthazariv wrote:I can't create new world, i have this error "No worldname given or no game selected".

10 steps to create a world and play (works!)

Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

balthazariv

by balthazariv » Sun Aug 03, 2014 14:50

balthazariv wrote:I can't create new world, i have this error "No worldname given or no game selected".
thanks

I found an alternative solution. I first created a game mode test minimal development. Now I no longer have the error in normal mode.

shaheerziya

by shaheerziya » Sun Aug 24, 2014 08:19

Awesome, really

SecretSighter

In-game: SecretSighter

by SecretSighter » Sat Nov 22, 2014 22:16

I'm having issues getting Minetest to run on Fedora. I'm attempting "yum install minetest" and it states no package found. Is there a more specific name or will I have to compile from source?

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Sun Nov 23, 2014 09:52

SecretSighter wrote:I'm having issues getting Minetest to run on Fedora. I'm attempting "yum install minetest" and it states no package found. Is there a more specific name or will I have to compile from source?

As you can see, Fedora 19 and 20 only have 0.4.9, not 0.4.10. If you want a more recent version, you will have to compile from source.

afflatus

GitHub: 0-afflatus
IRC: afflatus
In-game: afflatus

by afflatus » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:20

SecretSighter wrote:I'm having issues getting Minetest to run on Fedora. I'm attempting "yum install minetest" and it states no package found. Is there a more specific name or will I have to compile from source?

If you're having problems installing minetest, you probably need to make sure yum is pointing at the correct repository and is looking at an updated index for it. This is really a question for someone in Fedora's games department (or at least rtfm). Minetest is well maintained in Debian and apt is so easy to use that I've become lazy - I haven't had to compile anything for several years. :-)
Grailtest is sleeping ...

tommilukkarinen

by tommilukkarinen » Sun Nov 30, 2014 09:51

Bought Minecraft week ago, then thought there had to be some open source project, so this zipped minetest-0.4.10-64bit is the first version I tried. I thought to write the first impressions down, and ask for some advice:

mapgen: indev
game: minetest

Bug: sometimes you can create stone blocks while you are inside. Took me some time to realize what was happening, after that I could play the game so that it does not reoccur by changing playing style.

Feature: your avatar 'base' could be wider, so you don't drop so easily when building a house and walking on walls.It would also make easier attaching something to outer walls. It's now possible, but often there are painful drops.

Bug?: there was only coal, no iron like in Minecraft? I spent hours playing without single appearance of iron.

Feature: there were no mobs (most lacking feature), so I downloaded the mp_mobf package. As a first time user I got the feeling that it was 'recommended'. I would suggest, that you would include subset of that or some other mob library into the defaults, and have a check box for 'hostile mobs' if any are included. A subset, tuned a bit for game play, because the library was clearly in development - maybe just chicken, cows and sheep and still reviewed for game play.

Feature: single press start for kids and IT-handicapped, with 'good' mods enabled. Now it's too difficult to use.

Improvement: Work with start menu graphics, mob graphics. Tree and terrain graphics are at much higher level.

Feature: to have a link to the crafting guide wiki from the crafting inventory.

In overall, testmine is very close to a published commercial game, and I was awed. Good work guys!

I would, if I could:
1. Single press start and make a nice simple start ui.
- Something that would work for kids even without translation.
- Maybe 'advanced' icon somewhere, which would show the old UI if separate builds are to be avoided.
2. Add animals and iron.
- If you have played Minecraft, you'll find these missing first.
- Make animal's which have bad graphics appear more rarely or never, as a quick fix on improving graphics.

What would you propose for further reading, if I wanted to change these? Or comment on if these ideas could be improved?

Topywo

by Topywo » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:22

No iron?
You started a game with indev, maybe that caused it. Try starting a v6 game instead.

For mobs I think this is the most popular one atm: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9917

Wuzzy made a tutorial game that might help newcomers. But it isn't in the base package (yet?):
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10192

Sometimes mods work (only/better) with (one of) the latest development versions of minetest.

Edit: Welcome :-)

afflatus

GitHub: 0-afflatus
IRC: afflatus
In-game: afflatus

by afflatus » Thu Dec 04, 2014 15:39

tommilukkarinen wrote:Bug: sometimes you can create stone blocks while you are inside. Took me some time to realize what was happening, after that I could play the game so that it does not reoccur by changing playing style.

Feature: your avatar 'base' could be wider, so you don't drop so easily when building a house and walking on walls.It would also make easier attaching something to outer walls. It's now possible, but often there are painful drops.

Don't be too quick to assume things are bugs. Most of what you mention are known issues. Try using the 'down' / 'sneak' key, which is mapped to Left Shift by default.

tommilukkarinen wrote:Bug?: there was only coal, no iron like in Minecraft? I spent hours playing without single appearance of iron.

You probably didn't look deep enough.

tommilukkarinen wrote:Feature: there were no mobs (most lacking feature), so I downloaded the mp_mobf package. As a first time user I got the feeling that it was 'recommended'. I would suggest, that you would include subset of that or some other mob library into the defaults, and have a check box for 'hostile mobs' if any are included. A subset, tuned a bit for game play, because the library was clearly in development - maybe just chicken, cows and sheep and still reviewed for game play.

See Topywo's comment. Hostile mobs can be enabled in game.conf. It's a known issue.

tommilukkarinen wrote:Feature: to have a link to the crafting guide wiki from the crafting inventory.

I like to use a combination of:
https://github.com/Zeg9/minetest-inventory_plus and
https://github.com/Zeg9/minetest-zcg

As with mobs there are several different mods available and no universal agreement on which is best. You will have to experiment to find out which suits your playing style.
Grailtest is sleeping ...

AMMOnym

IRC: AMMOnym
In-game: AMMOnym

by AMMOnym » Fri Dec 05, 2014 18:16

I have problems with all new build. Each time I want to play and I dig something my game crashed.

mtmodder148

GitHub: MT-Modder
In-game: mtmodder148

by mtmodder148 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 21:44

This happens to me when "preload_item_visuals" is disabled. Otherwise the game will run fine. I've searched around and apparently you and I are the only ones with this problem :(.

Edit: This crash is caused by a crappy GPU. When I get a new computer this shouldn't happen. Odds are if no one can reproduce the bug either you edited some files and customized minetest or the video driver version doesn't work with minetest.

Previous

Return to Minetest News