Banning too quick

nolan

Banning too quick

by nolan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 04:04

Hello everyone!

So I'd like to share with you a small story of how i was banned and treated kind of inappropriately in my opinion.

Please just listen and don't hate :(
(I will not name this server out of respect I do not want people to troll or grief there because of me).

You see one day I got bored of some of the servers I usually play on, so for the first time I join this server that I never played on before.

The server starts you off with some items so u can get going along easier.

Problem was... I did not start off with anything like I should have, I do not know how or why either.

There were moderators and an admin online, so I asked if maybe they could give me those items I should have started with. Seems reasonable right?

Well they did not think so, they told me I have been playing for over 3 months, and which I mentioned earlier in the story that I have NEVER been on that server.

After I asked for the items I should have started with they told me I had to go into town somewhere and buy them.. I do not believe I should have had to waste my freshly started money on something I should have been giving automatically when joining the game, so I kind of argued.

I told them it is stupid that I should have to buy those items i should have already been given, but they did not care.

I quit playing that server. :P

... Few days later i was going through servers trying to find my friend so i could notify him of something, I had no other way to contact him at the moment.

One of the moderators were online, and i used an alt name so I hopefully could notify my friend and leave without any trouble, seems nice of me huh?

Well i ended up saying in chat to my friend that I was nolan, so he would know who I was. (Should have private messaged him, would have saved me trouble.)

Anyhow, the moderator online decided to make up a lie and say *Nolan as in nolan who cursed at us?*

In which I never ever said one curse word when speaking to them, about the worst thing I said was *stupid*...

I went to hit enter in a message saying *No i never cursed to you or anyone else here*, but i got Access violation..

When trying to log back in I couldn't

A few minutes later I met my friend on a different server and he said I was banned...

Now i'd like to know what your thoughts on this are.

Sorry for the long story, but patient people will take the time to read it.

Share your opinion, but do not hate please.
Last edited by nolan on Mon Aug 19, 2013 04:09, edited 1 time in total.
Minecraft Came Out For The Ps3

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 04:53

If you didn't call them stupid, but the situation, well...
power tends to corrupt...

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Mon Aug 19, 2013 05:01

Best hope we don't end up being like the community in the article linked to below:
http://whatculture.com/gaming/7-worst-online-gaming-communities.php/2
Always understand the nature of the server that you are playing on.

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 08:03

nolan wrote:, but i got Access violation..

Access violation has nothing to do with you being banned or similar
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Mon Aug 19, 2013 08:07

I see two possible cases: a) You were truly misbehaving according to that server's rules, in which case your ban is justified. b) The server owners are jerks, and you should not play there.

In any case, this belongs to the relevant server's topic or PM/e-mail to the server admin(s)/mod(s) (i.e. not here).
Last edited by kaeza on Mon Aug 19, 2013 08:08, edited 1 time in total.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Mon Aug 19, 2013 13:19

1) Using a different nick is wrong, you shouldnt have done this.
2) Moderators on a server are always right; if they suck then dont play on the server.
3) Whats the point in posting this when you dont say the server's name? Others would know this way that the moderators on this server suck (see point 2).

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Mon Aug 19, 2013 14:01

BTW, bans are meaningless. Literally.

Minetest only bans the IP address of the user, not the player name. So simply changing your IP solves the problem efficiently.

WaterWorld (Mauvebic's server) has nick bans; which actually work.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

BrandonReese

GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Mon Aug 19, 2013 14:32

nolan wrote:The server starts you off with some items so u can get going along easier.

Problem was... I did not start off with anything like I should have, I do not know how or why either.

There were moderators and an admin online, so I asked if maybe they could give me those items I should have started with. Seems reasonable right?

Well they did not think so, they told me I have been playing for over 3 months, and which I mentioned earlier in the story that I have NEVER been on that server.

I know you didn't name names, but I feel the need to defend myself and my moderators anyway.

The incident you describe happened on 08/14 when you say you never got any land claims to begin with. The logs show you logging in before that date. At the very least on 07/28, but I have older logs that show you online as well but the date isn't as clear since my older logs minetest logs are just stamped with the time and not the date.

There is land on the server claimed by you, so that's proof you have been here before.

On 08/14 you came online and these are parts of the transcript from the chat log:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
08/14/2013 12:56PM <nolan> i have not been on this server forever
08/14/2013 12:56PM <nolan> i come online in claimed land
08/14/2013 12:56PM <Nick> brandonreese hi :D
08/14/2013 12:56PM <nolan> i was wanting to know if u could come see the claimed land, ill unclaim it and maybe u could give me my claim block back?

Then later you changed your story

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
08/14/2013 12:59PM <nolan> HERE IS MY POINT
08/14/2013 12:59PM <nolan> this is my first time here
08/14/2013 12:59PM <Piggybear> Remember to leave the trees though.
08/14/2013 12:59PM <nolan> i didnt get land claims

Later you called one of my mods stupid

08/14/2013 01:00PM <sicmind> nolan i have seen you on this server b4 so dont know who you trying to fool
08/14/2013 01:00PM BrandonReese disconnected
08/14/2013 01:00PM <nolan> cant u just be nice an give me one land claims so i can have land? or are you going to leave me a first timer with nothing
08/14/2013 01:00PM <nolan> sicmind
08/14/2013 01:00PM BrandonReese joined
08/14/2013 01:00PM <nolan> ur stupid im not trying to *fool* anyone
08/14/2013 01:00PM englak disconnected
08/14/2013 01:00PM <sicmind> nolan like brandon said there is shops you can buy them from
08/14/2013 01:00PM <sicmind> or you could even make your own

Because we knew you had been there before, you were combative and lied to us, so that is why we didn't give you any land claim blocks. Sorry if you feel that was unfair, you start with 2000 credits, and land claim blocks are around 150 credits so you're welcome to come back and buy some land claims, or you can develop some land unprotected.
Last edited by BrandonReese on Mon Aug 19, 2013 14:36, edited 1 time in total.

nolan

by nolan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 17:06

sfan5 wrote:
nolan wrote:, but i got Access violation..

Access violation has nothing to do with you being banned or similar

That why i said after i tried logging in i could not log in, i have been playing a long time, i know that sfan5, but they future banned me after i got access violation.

nolan

by nolan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 17:10

I was a bit mad at the time brandon, i seriously have never been on your server, and one little name is no offense. I know people that call me a few names and i dont ban them, but anyway whatever dude you guys think I have ben there before well go ahead im not into your server anyway.

EDIT: i did not change my story, i did not get any land claims, i came online and my character was standing in claimed land with some dirt, i had no land claims.
Last edited by nolan on Mon Aug 19, 2013 17:11, edited 1 time in total.

nolan

by nolan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 17:14

PilzAdam wrote:1) Using a different nick is wrong, you shouldnt have done this.
2) Moderators on a server are always right; if they suck then dont play on the server.
3) Whats the point in posting this when you dont say the server's name? Others would know this way that the moderators on this server suck (see point 2).

I did not use any different Nick, i logged in for the first time on my first username.

Mods are not always right, i could explain this huge story on a time i was right but im not going too.

whats the point? --
nolan wrote: (I will not name this server out of respect I do not want people to troll or grief there because of me).

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Mon Aug 19, 2013 17:30

nolan wrote:I did not use any different Nick, i logged in for the first time on my first username.
nolan wrote:One of the moderators were online, and i used an alt name so I hopefully could notify my friend
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

nolan

by nolan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 21:12

kaeza wrote:
nolan wrote:I did not use any different Nick, i logged in for the first time on my first username.
nolan wrote:One of the moderators were online, and i used an alt name so I hopefully could notify my friend

yes thats after i argued with them a few days later, i used a diff nick so they would leave me alone.
if i had used my same nick i would have been banned instantly probably for no reason
Last edited by nolan on Mon Aug 19, 2013 21:13, edited 1 time in total.

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 22:45

PilzAdam wrote:2) Moderators on a server are always right

IMHO this saying is dangerous.
I know you're saying this in a context and I guess you're talking about the legal rights here.
But it can be understood as "do not question who's in power" too easily.

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Mon Aug 19, 2013 23:30

Mossmanikin wrote:IMHO this saying is dangerous.
I know you're saying this in a context and I guess you're talking about the legal rights here.

Servers aren't public property, they're simply accessible to the public, hosted at the admins' expense. So when they decide they're tired of wasting bandwidth on certain problematic players, they don't owe any explanations.
Last edited by mauvebic on Mon Aug 19, 2013 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
"Fuck the hat." - Paulie Gualtieri

Shire

by Shire » Mon Aug 19, 2013 23:35

This seems like a classic case of: You can dish it but you can't take it. Sack up and live with it.

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 23:49

mauvebic wrote:
Mossmanikin wrote:IMHO this saying is dangerous.

Servers aren't public property, they're simply accessible to the public, hosted at the admins' expense. So when they decide they're tired of wasting bandwidth on certain problematic players, they don't owe any explanations.

Yes, I'm aware of that.
I'm also pretty sure that's what PilzAdam was trying to say.
It's like they have a house and you're the guest.
The host can say to a guest to leave without explaining why.
But a host neither has the right to do whatever he/she likes to a guest, nor is a host incapable of lying or making mistakes.
What I was trying to say is just: the sentence has more than one meaning and I'm pretty sure some people will misunderstand it.

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Mon Aug 19, 2013 23:56

People often forget that the supreme law of flesh is survival of the fittest/survival of the wicked, which is why we live in the kind of reality that we do. Only spirit is the source of love and righteousness. With those thoughts in mind, be very careful who you trust and what you do.
Last edited by Inocudom on Mon Aug 19, 2013 23:56, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Minetest General