How to replace attachments?

Morn76

GitHub: mdoege

How to replace attachments?

by Morn76 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 23:39

Is there a way to update attachments? People seem to be blindly downloading the first post's attachment even though it is an outdated version: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?pid=130100

Therefore I'd like to replace the first ZIP file. But when I edit the first post there seems to be no way to delete/update attachments.

Thanks!

Novacain

by Novacain » Thu Feb 20, 2014 00:24

umm.... why not post a link to something like github? then you can update the link instead of having an attatchment.
EXTERMINATE!!!
My Tronrealm modpack
My tronblocks mod

Evergreen

GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Thu Feb 20, 2014 00:40

You can't. Use something else, like github.
"Help! I searched for a mod but I couldn't find it!"
http://krock-works.16mb.com/MTstuff/modSearch.php

Morn76

by Morn76 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 00:42

Well, before posting my map, I read in one of the threads on here that attachments were the recommeded way to share maps. (Maybe also because external links can go bad while an attachment is more or less guaranteed to be available.) So I used the recommeded method and mistakenly assumed that attachments can be changed later.

Of course I could move the file to GitHub now, but I'm afraid as long as the attachment is here, everyone will just click on it even if it says "No, you do not want this!" in red, blinking, 20 point text right above it. I think I will watch the download counters for a little longer to see what happens. :-)
Last edited by Morn76 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 00:43, edited 1 time in total.

Enke

GitHub: NANOsoldierEnke
IRC: Enke
In-game: Enke

by Enke » Thu Feb 20, 2014 02:18

Morn76 wrote:Well, before posting my map, I read in one of the threads on here that attachments were the recommeded way to share maps. (Maybe also because external links can go bad while an attachment is more or less guaranteed to be available.) So I used the recommeded method and mistakenly assumed that attachments can be changed later.

Of course I could move the file to GitHub now, but I'm afraid as long as the attachment is here, everyone will just click on it even if it says "No, you do not want this!" in red, blinking, 20 point text right above it. I think I will watch the download counters for a little longer to see what happens. :-)

They can be removed, but it has to be done by a moderator. Silly if you ask me, but I guess it's a safeguard against people ragequitting and deleting their mod/texture pack/map/whatever.
Lush8
ExtraVars for Red Eclipse

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> Anarchid: you need to work harder
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

Morn76

by Morn76 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 06:10

Enke wrote:
Morn76 wrote:Well, before posting my map, I read in one of the threads on here that attachments were the recommeded way to share maps. (Maybe also because external links can go bad while an attachment is more or less guaranteed to be available.) So I used the recommeded method and mistakenly assumed that attachments can be changed later.

They can be removed, but it has to be done by a moderator. Silly if you ask me, but I guess it's a safeguard against people ragequitting and deleting their mod/texture pack/map/whatever.

Maybe it should work like MediaWiki where older versions of uploaded files are still available from file description pages, so occasional vandalism can easily be reverted. I suppose in a way first posts of project threads (mods, maps) already serve a similar function as wiki pages. So the discovery that attachments cannot easily be replaced was a real surprise to me. ;-)

Return to Minetest General