New to the game

FoxyRaven

New to the game

by FoxyRaven » Tue May 27, 2014 16:36

Hi everyone,
My name is Emily, I am 13 years old, my dad and I love mincraft and came across minetest by accident, it looks awesome. I would love to get into creating mods and am looking for someone to help me get started + help me along. I am very good at mincraft, been playing for a very long time. I am getting into basic computer coding, starting with basic linux comands and Basic C then getting into Java. I am very new to this stuff but am VERY interested in learing as much as I can. I want to be a famous Mod Designer and YouTuber some day. :) Also want to help in any way I can with minetest. Please tell me where I can be helpfull and whom to talk to.

Thanks very much!
Emily

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: New to the game

by Krock » Tue May 27, 2014 16:44

FoxyRaven wrote:Hi everyone,
came across minetest by accident

I am very new to this stuff but am VERY interested in learing as much as I can.

Also want to help in any way I can with minetest.

Hi Emily.

It was a good accident then :)

Programming mods here is quite easy to learn - they're written in lua.

Yeah, you could help us fixing the X bugs or missing features in the source code (C / C++). Help is welcome.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Topywo

by Topywo » Tue May 27, 2014 17:16

Welcome. This forum is a good place to start. There's also the IRC http://minetest.net/irc , where you'd be best off in the main channel.

To learn how to mod you can take a look at the wiki for developers, the modding intro http://dev.minetest.net/Intro and/or just open the lua files of mods, make some modifications and look what happens. The Debug.txt file will give you information if something didn't work out as expected.

FoxyRaven

by FoxyRaven » Tue May 27, 2014 17:47

I'm happy to talk to someone who wants to help me get started on this. ;) I plan on making 2 mods; one for Minetest, and one for Minecraft. one is called Majestic Butter Mod ( Yes I'm a Skydoesminecraft fan) and Army Squirrels Mod. In the Majestic Butter Mod, I plan on making, well, what the name suggests, as for the Army Squirrels Mod, I want to create helicopters,tanks,machine guns, grenades,ect... you can tame squirrels and command each and every one of them! You can do basic commands like sit, stay, and lie down, and complex commands like attack, set entities to fire, and other things like that. Even build your base! My dad will teach me coding so I will be able to create all of these interesting features! I can't wait to get started on these two mods! :D I'm sure that if these mods go viral, your fun game could get even more popular! I'll do my best to make these mods the best around and will continue to make more.
Can't wait to work with you!
,Emily :)

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Tue May 27, 2014 17:53

Squirrels (as animals) would be great. They could run the tree thrunks up and down :-)

Evergreen

GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Tue May 27, 2014 21:01

FoxyRaven wrote:I'm happy to talk to someone who wants to help me get started on this. ;) I plan on making 2 mods; one for Minetest, and one for Minecraft. one is called Majestic Butter Mod ( Yes I'm a Skydoesminecraft fan) and Army Squirrels Mod. In the Majestic Butter Mod, I plan on making, well, what the name suggests, as for the Army Squirrels Mod, I want to create helicopters,tanks,machine guns, grenades,ect... you can tame squirrels and command each and every one of them! You can do basic commands like sit, stay, and lie down, and complex commands like attack, set entities to fire, and other things like that. Even build your base! My dad will teach me coding so I will be able to create all of these interesting features! I can't wait to get started on these two mods! :D I'm sure that if these mods go viral, your fun game could get even more popular! I'll do my best to make these mods the best around and will continue to make more.
Can't wait to work with you!
,Emily :)

Those are interesting ideas. Sadly, minetest's system for entities has a bit to be desired, and it would be rather difficult to implement them. We do need someone to break the ice though, and it would be great if you would be willing to do that.

philipbenr

GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: WisdomFire or philipbenr

by philipbenr » Tue May 27, 2014 23:13

I'll help you out a bit with the butter mod if you want. PM me if so.

As a general rule:

If you need help, post here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4668
or here look here:
dev.minetest.net

GingerHunter797

In-game: GingerHunter797

by GingerHunter797 » Wed May 28, 2014 01:53

Good luck with mobs!
http://i.imgur.com/gqXXUaI.png

3DS Friend Code: 2122-7173-2797
Add me as a friend! :D

Want to play a fun game? http://voxelands.com/

hoodedice

by hoodedice » Wed May 28, 2014 02:52

Welcome!

It is my first time that I've heard of a thirteen year old girl knowing so many languages. I am eighteen, and I still suck at lua =P
For lua, you might want to dig around in the lua-users wiki ( http://lua-users.org/wiki/TutorialDirectory ), or check out the official lua reference guide at the pil (http://www.lua.org/pil/contents.html).
Once done with some basic lua, you can then dive into the Minetest Dev Wiki. (dev.minetest.net). Along with that, keep checking the lua-api text (https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... ua_api.txt) for any new api changes.
Finally, don't hesitate to ask in the official #minetest online IRC. Alternatively, you could also post your questions in the Modding General help thread.

I do understand that most people who switch over to minetest from minecraft want to bring over the feelings, and 'ambiance' of MC into MT. However, Minetest is its own thing. While we do have the freedom to make an absolute MC clone, would that be the best thing to do? Take a look around, see what makes us different. While your 'Majestic Butter Mod' might be influenced, I am intrigued by your squirrels mod, and hope you the best for it =)
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

DaN

by DaN » Fri May 30, 2014 01:01

Welcome to the Minetest forums :D
Squirrels! ;P
If you already some bash and C, then Lua'll be a snap (once you get past some of its peculiarities). :)
All that stuff might be a bit hard to make with Minetest's current Lua stuff tho

Return to Minetest General