Restore mapgen v5 ?

paramat

GitHub: paramat

Re: Restore mapgen v5 ?

by paramat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 02:33

Mgv5 will use the new faster noise code, but will use the original noise parameters and the original mapgen logic. The only difference from the original will be slightly sharper spikes and detail in the terrain, because the original noise code had terrain-blurring/3D noise easing. If you want to use the old noise version it's still in the branch history.

paramat

by paramat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 07:26

Okay latest version works, looks very similar to the original, but much faster.

greydmiyu

by greydmiyu » Mon Oct 20, 2014 09:10

That is just beautiful.

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:25

paramat wrote:Okay latest version works, looks very similar to the original, but much faster.

I see a duck, a bunny rabbit and a buzzard. :P
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Kibbie and I have a beautiful public server now! HOMETOWN

Zeno

GitHub: Zeno-

by Zeno » Mon Oct 20, 2014 16:01

ExeterDad wrote:I see a duck, a bunny rabbit and a buzzard. :P

First two, yep. But that is not a buzzard. It's a dragon.

Also, the big thing on the right is the luck dragon from Neverending Story.

MTDad

by MTDad » Mon Oct 20, 2014 17:23

Great Work Paramat! It does seem a bit different, but still very nice. Just one thing though, saw this happen twice so far.

Good fun to watch the forest burn down.

Vazon

IRC: Vazon
In-game: Vazon

by Vazon » Mon Oct 20, 2014 22:41

Paramat: I have no idea how to compile on Windows ( I do on Linux tho ) but this desktop lacks Linux so I am unable to test v5, is there another solution to this?

GingerHunter797

In-game: GingerHunter797

by GingerHunter797 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 23:13

Map gen V5 looks amazing! Great job! :D
http://i.imgur.com/gqXXUaI.png

3DS Friend Code: 2122-7173-2797
Add me as a friend! :D

Want to play a fun game? http://voxelands.com/

paramat

by paramat » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:50

MTDad, thanks that's useful you raise the lava issue, mgv5 does seem to add occasional surface lava. I have updated the mgv5 biome code to replace surface lava, whereas before it didn't. The same needs to be done with paragenv7.

Add lines like this at line 110 for default dirt, default dirt with grass, default gravel and default lava souce (default sand is already in there):
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
local c_defdirt = minetest.get_content_id("default:dirt")

'def' is added to distinguish from the paragenv7 dirt and grass nodes.

At line 172 add those default nodes into the expression:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
if nodid == c_stone -- if stone
or nodid == c_defdirt
or nodid == c_defdirtwithgrass
or nodid == c_gravel
or nodid == c_lavasource
or nodid == c_stonecopper
or nodid == c_stoneiron
or nodid == c_stonecoal then

paramat

by paramat » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:56

Vazon, looks like you'll have to wait for 0.4.11, which should be soon, i'll try to get mgv5 merged into 0.4.11 stable so people can use it, i just need to solve the noise scale problem before it's fit for merging.

paramat

by paramat » Tue Oct 21, 2014 20:16

*=/ i just realised the 'dust top nodes' function was missing, now added, any mgv7 biome definitions would have been missing their dust nodes.

Zeno

by Zeno » Wed Oct 22, 2014 06:09

Paramat I know what the problem is with your noise scale.

There are two ways to solve it -- the "proper way" and your current "hacks". IMO your current hacks are the better way than the proper/offical way and if they can be tidied up (put the scale params back into the NoiseParams and then multiply by what's in the params(e.g. noise_filler_depth->np->scale * n_ground * f) ) then that might be the way to go. The reason is that doing it the official way will cause the entire noise array to be iterated over twice when it's not really necessary since you're doing that in your code anyway.

The "proper way" is to call https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... e.cpp#L609 after generating your noise arrays, but as you can see that does the same as your "hack" anyway but requires looping over all the values another time (because you iterate over them in your code anyway). I, personally, think that's a waste of time.

Edit: On second thoughts, it might be needed for Lua... so maybe best to call the official transform function after creating the noise.

paramat

by paramat » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:32

You got it! thanks so much! =D Comparing mapgen_v5.cpp and mapgen_v7.cpp i have so obviously left out the 'transform noisemaps' ... i have such a random head. I will do this the official way, assuming there is good reason, and to be consistent with other mapgens.

MTDad

by MTDad » Sat Oct 25, 2014 05:41

The Majesty and Wonder That is MGv5

And yes I'm afraid to report that even after your fix to the engine, and me adding in the new lines to Paragenv7, I'm still seeing lava. When it does no harm like this its very neat to see.

paramat

by paramat » Mon Oct 27, 2014 09:32

I suspect using the newer un-eased 3D noise has changed the maximum y of lava, i can't remember seeing surface lava when using he old noise code. perhaps i will adjust this to make it below 1.

paramat

by paramat » Mon Oct 27, 2014 09:39

Very new eased 3D noise code is now working in my branch https://github.com/paramat/minetest/commits/mgv5
I need to adjust that lava maximum y and try to remove the biome discontinuities at y = 47.
For speed reasons only the primary terrain noise has been eased, the original used easing for all 5 3D noises, this means the caves and the shape of dirt/sand/gravel/lava blobs are a little different.
There is a small but significant difference from uneased 3D noise:

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Wed Oct 29, 2014 00:03

How close is this to being added to Minetest?

Zeno

by Zeno » Wed Oct 29, 2014 03:01

Great work paramat

paramat

by paramat » Thu Oct 30, 2014 07:15

I rebased and squashed my commits into one, ready for review https://github.com/paramat/minetest/commits/mgv5 A commit like this is good for seeing what goes into making a core mapgen.
Lava is tuned to be below sea level like the original. Now 3 of the 5 3D noises are eased (cave1, cave2 and terrain) so cave shape is more faithful to the original. The new eased 3D noise seems to differ from the original easing, it made the caves narrower so that roughly 1/4 were impassable, i re-tuned the cave width by returning to a cave noise scale parameter previously used by celeron55 that was commented in the code.

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Thu Oct 30, 2014 17:55

paramat wrote:Image

I rebased and squashed my commits into one, ready for review https://github.com/paramat/minetest/commits/mgv5 A commit like this is good for seeing what goes into making a core mapgen.
Lava is tuned to be below sea level like the original. Now 3 of the 5 3D noises are eased (cave1, cave2 and terrain) so cave shape is more faithful to the original. The new eased 3D noise seems to differ from the original easing, it made the caves narrower so that roughly 1/4 were impassable, i re-tuned the cave width by returning to a cave noise scale parameter previously used by celeron55 that was commented in the code.

Where do you get the v6-like biomes?

paramat

by paramat » Fri Oct 31, 2014 13:37

Run this as a mod (no trees though). mgv5 uses the mgv7 biome API (on request by hmmmm) so any biome/decoration registration code will run in both mapgens (and all future mapgens).
For some reason grasses, cacti and flowers appear although not registered as decorations, something to fix.

minetest.register_biome({
   name = "normal",
   node_top = "default:dirt_with_grass",
   depth_top = 1,
   node_filler = "default:dirt",
   depth_filler = 2,
   node_dust = "air",
   height_min = 4,
   height_max = 207,
   heat_point = 50,
   humidity_point = 50,
})

name = "beach",
   node_top = "default:sand",
   depth_top = 1,
   node_filler = "default:sand",
   depth_filler = 2,
   node_dust = "air",
   height_min = -128,
   height_max = 3,
   heat_point = 50,
   humidity_point = 50,
})

name = "desert",
   node_top = "default:desert_sand",
   depth_top = 3,
   node_filler = "default:desert_stone",
   depth_filler = 128,
   node_dust = "air",
   height_min = 4,
   height_max = 207,
   heat_point = 90,
   humidity_point = 10,
})

name = "rainforest",
   node_top = "default:dirt_with_grass",
   depth_top = 1,
   depth_filler = 4,
   node_dust = "air",
   height_min = 4,
   height_max = 207,
   heat_point = 80,
   humidity_point = 90,
})

name = "taiga",
   node_top = "default:dirt_with_snow",
   depth_top = 1,
   depth_filler = 3,
   node_dust = "default:snowblock",
   height_min = 4,
   height_max = 207,
   heat_point = 10,
   humidity_point = 50,
})

MTDad

by MTDad » Fri Oct 31, 2014 15:45

paramat wrote:...For some reason grasses, cacti and flowers appear although not registered as decorations, something to fix.

I've been working on a mod using the v7 biome registrations (basically like what you're using there) and I figured out where those grasses, cacti and flowers are coming from. Minetest_Game. If you check the water it is also putting clay out there.

paramat

by paramat » Fri Oct 31, 2014 18:28

Just discovered that too, it's an 'on-generated' function which should be tied to use of mgv6, otherwise it's running in singlenode, mgv5, mgv7 even when there's no default nodes placed.

Some sapling decorations for trees in mgv5, they take a while to grow though:
minetest.register_decoration({
   deco_type = "simple",
   place_on = {"default:dirt_with_grass"},
   sidelen = 8,
   fill_ratio = 0.25,
   biomes = {"rainforest"},
   decoration = "default:junglegrass",
})

deco_type = "simple",
   sidelen = 8,
   fill_ratio = 0.0625,
   biomes = {"rainforest"},
   decoration = "default:junglesapling",
})

deco_type = "simple",
   sidelen = 8,
   fill_ratio = 0.04,
   biomes = {"forest"},
   decoration = "default:sapling",
})

Enke

GitHub: NANOsoldierEnke
IRC: Enke
In-game: Enke

by Enke » Fri Oct 31, 2014 20:03

Man, I'm ready to see this. Is there a general time frame we can expect it?
Lush8
ExtraVars for Red Eclipse

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> Anarchid: you need to work harder
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

paramat

by paramat » Mon Nov 10, 2014 17:50

Mapgen v5 is now in 0.4.10-dev and a more recent commit has fixed the 'blobs' mapgen flag.
By default dirt/sand/gravel blobs are enabled, with lava blobs starting to appear just below sea level and reaching full density a few hundred nodes down. To disable dirt, sand, gravel and lava blobs add this line to your minetest.conf:
mgv5_spflags = noblobs
The only global mapgen flags that have effect in mgv5 are 'dungeons' and 'light', caves are currently compulsory as they are generated right at the beginning with base terrain (a better method i think).
If you are unfamiliar with the new MT mapgen system developed by hmmmm, base terrain and biomes are now separate and modular, so you can choose a base terrain (v5, v7, v8 etc) and add any biome system (ethereal, paragenv7, big freaking dig etc).
The biomes API is still in development by hmmmm and currently there are no default biomes defined in MTGame, so mgv5 and mgv7 appear as base terrain only: mostly stone and water. I'm working on default biomes for mgv5 and will be collecting/creating MT schematics for appletree, pinetree, jungletree.
'Get ground level at point' has not been coded yet and is now highest priority, this means you might spawn above water or underground trapped in stone, so disable damage in the menu before spawning. If spawning underground enable freemove and switch noclip if necessary.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Wed Nov 12, 2014 04:40

Bad news:
Something went wrong here. Seems to be due to either mapgenv5 or the mod simplev7.

paramat

by paramat » Wed Nov 12, 2014 20:36

Bad news for you maybe, that never happened during testing, was this soon after a game crash? that causes missing chunks.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Wed Nov 12, 2014 20:54

paramat wrote:Bad news for you maybe, that never happened during testing, was this soon after a game crash? that causes missing chunks.

That's the thing; the game never crashed. I have seen something like this happen once in the mapgenv5 that is in Voxelands, except for the fact that the water was not missing. Thing is, I have no idea how anybody could find and resolve an error like this. If you don't have any issues with this error, then you can just ignore it.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Thu Nov 13, 2014 17:42

I believe that the following mapgenv5 error found by me in Freeminer and Jordach in Minetest may be related to what is seen above:
From Freeminer forums:
--<Inocudom>--, post: 1515, member: 34 wrote:I came across the following glitch today:
These two chunks will not appear no matter what. Even if I leave the map and come back, they still won't appear.

From Minetest forums:
Jordach wrote:So there's mysterious IGNORE like areas that MGV5 seems to make:

I think that the missing chunks and the IGNORE areas are related somehow. What do the rest of you think?

paramat

by paramat » Sat Nov 29, 2014 04:49

^ Here i am at y = 47

Current unstable Minetest now has a simple 'overgeneration', extending 1 up 1 down beyond each mapchunk. This makes biome surface continuous at y = 47, although the full depth of the biome is still interrupted.

New player spawn is working and will spawn you at surface level at a low elevation, however as usual caves are not accounted for, you might fall into one.

I'm working on default biomes here https://github.com/paramat/minetest_game/tree/mgv5biomes no trees yet i also need to create schematics for those.

PreviousNext

Return to Minetest General