Hide version number

Rochambeau

Hide version number

by Rochambeau » Tue Apr 14, 2015 17:44

Hi,

how can I hide the display of the version number in the upper left corner?

R.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Hide version number

by rubenwardy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 17:53

You can't in normal gameplay. The devs don't want to be able to do this as they won't be able to tell what the version is if there's a problem and you give a screenshot. It is a stupid argument.

You can, however, hide it by hiding all of the HUD, but this hides the hotbar as well. It's f3, I believe, I'm not sure.

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/2138

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Tue Apr 14, 2015 18:54

rubenwardy wrote:You can, however, hide it by hiding all of the HUD, but this hides the hotbar as well. It's f3, I believe, I'm not sure.

Did you ever play Minetest? It's F1.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 19:45

I don't play Minetest at the moment as I have other more important things that I need to do, such as coursework and homeworks. It's also a completely stupid key binding (f1 is help in many other programs).

Rochambeau

by Rochambeau » Wed Apr 15, 2015 05:04

Well, I see this topic was already discussed among the devs. Of course, in the case of a bug report, they want as much info as they can get.

As a player, I still would like to have the option to disable this string to keep the hud clean, for example as an opt-out implemention.

Wouldn't it be sufficient to display the version string by pressing f5 along with a lot of other useful information? Or show it in the windows frame?
How many bug reports include a full-screen screenshot and no debug.txt?

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 06:18

I agree with that, most bug reports I've seen contain a debug.txt and no screenshots.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:59

Rochambeau wrote:Wouldn't it be sufficient to display the version string by pressing f5 along with a lot of other useful information?

I can see their point. A lot of the people submitting bug reports can hardly figure out what game they are playing, let alone press specific function keys.

Rochambeau

by Rochambeau » Thu Apr 16, 2015 05:07

Kilarin wrote:I can see their point. A lot of the people submitting bug reports can hardly figure out what game they are playing, let alone press specific function keys.

People with this level of knowledge won't have much fun with minetest, because if it is too hard to press one button, how do they handle the installation of mods?

Anyway, for the sake of this kind of players, make it opt-out in minetest.conf, so they can't accidently disable the display of the version info. Or, as I said before, keep the version string in the window title. It schould still be visible in screenshots (windowed mode), but doesn't affect the in-game hud.

Return to Minetest General