Minetest Player Initiative

william341

GitHub: PatchTest
In-game: william341

Minetest Player Initiative

by william341 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 18:33

http://minetestplayerinitiative.github.io/

Why?
So why the hell do we need a group dedicated to getting more players?
Because how many people play Minetest?

Let's face it, most people still think Minetest is still some unplayable experiment that can never be saved. But, as we all know, it's not. That doesn't change the fact that that's how people feel. To them, Minetest is just some dumb clone of Minecraft. I mean, for gods sake we can't even have a Wikipedia article!

Of course, this isn't true. Minetest may look like that on the surface, but it's not like that. It's easily expandable and fun to play. So why are we still having this problem?

Because no one knows.
We need to let them know, and that's why I'm starting a Minetest Player Initiative.

Resources
Official Server: Doopy The Server
Logo: http://i.imgur.com/HYnK2DO.png
Last edited by william341 on Mon Feb 08, 2016 02:03, edited 4 times in total.

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

Re: Minetest Player Initative

by benrob0329 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 19:26

I generally think of Minetest as a mix of MC and Gmod, it's a blocky sandbox with a modding API made to be expanded beyond the small base.

william341

by william341 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 19:46

benrob0329 wrote:I generally think of Minetest as a mix of MC and Gmod, it's a blocky sandbox with a modding API made to be expanded beyond the small base.

Same here!

Esteban

GitHub: Esteban-
IRC: Esteban
In-game: Esteban

by Esteban » Sun Feb 07, 2016 19:48

benrob0329 wrote:I generally think of Minetest as a mix of MC and Gmod, it's a blocky sandbox with a modding API made to be expanded beyond the small base.

True. How things works and plays is that of a sandbox, but yet it is presented as a game engine and game. Due to this, I find it sometimes difficult to get people I know to check Minetest out, and explaining them that "MT is game, but somewhat is plain and engine, but limited to making x type of things...

I have a few questions for OP.
Is this a group users can join in or a server? Apart of spreading word about of Minetest, are there any other objectives you want to accomplish with this?
I find this idea quite interesting since Minetest only has few places to inform potential players beyond some articles and a subreddit. If this initiative is well executed, it could lead to an increase player base and even may one or two potential developers, who knows :P

william341

by william341 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 19:58

Esteban wrote:

True. How things works and plays is that of a sandbox, but yet it is presented as a game engine and game. Due to this, I find it sometimes difficult to get people I know to check Minetest out, and explaining them that "MT is game, but somewhat is plain and engine, but limited to making x type of things...

Is this a group users can join in or a server? Apart of spreading word about of Minetest, are there any other objectives you want to accomplish with this?
I find this idea quite interesting since Minetest only has few places to inform potential players beyond some articles and a subreddit. If this initiative is well executed, it could lead to an increase player base and even may one or two potential developers, who knows :P

It's a group. I'm working on a website (based of fof minetest's website @ http://minetestplayerinitative.github.io/ and you can ask me to join the git hub organization here: https://github.com/MinetestPlayerInitative

The goal of this is to get people to realize that FOSS games can be good, and Minetest is the prime subject for this, as it is in a popular genre at this point.

Esteban

GitHub: Esteban-
IRC: Esteban
In-game: Esteban

by Esteban » Sun Feb 07, 2016 20:14

william341 wrote:
Esteban wrote:

It's a group. I'm working on a website (based of fof minetest's website @ http://minetestplayerinitative.github.io/ and you can ask me to join the git hub organization here: https://github.com/MinetestPlayerInitative

The goal of this is to get people to realize that FOSS games can be good, and Minetest is the prime subject for this, as it is in a popular genre at this point.

Nice to see that amount of progress so far!
I might join... but I can't do much on coding yet, so all I can deliver is maybe some graphic and related-stuff.

Also, I checked out the page, I think you should avoid direct comparisons against MC, and focus more of a general list of the advantages of the software; or you can present Minetest as the open-source alternative for voxel sandbox games. We know that MC is pretty much one of the many games that are direct competitors, but as MT currently is, it has very few things to compete against that game specifically.

william341

by william341 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 20:19

Esteban wrote:
william341 wrote:
Esteban wrote:True. How things works and plays is that of a sandbox, but yet it is presented as a game engine and game. Due to this, I find it sometimes difficult to get people I know to check Minetest out, and explaining them that "MT is game, but somewhat is plain and engine, but limited to making x type of things...

Nice to see that amount of progress so far!
I might join... but I can't do much on coding yet, so all I can deliver is maybe some graphic and related-stuff.

Also, I checked out the page, I think you should avoid direct comparisons against MC, and focus more of a general list of the advantages of the software; or you can present Minetest as the open-source alternative for voxel sandbox games. We know that MC is pretty much one of the many games that are direct competitors, but as MT currently is, it has very few things to compete against that game specifically.

Those are good points. And I suck at graphics, so that would be great.

If anyone wants to join, tell me your github.

william341

by william341 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 01:17

Esteban had the great idea of making a content show case!
Esteban wrote:While thinking about the player initiative group, I thought about some other stuff the site can offer. The site can also offer like a "test this" sections to feature different mods/textures/subgames from time to time. Not only minetest lacks a player base, but lacks an appropriate way of displaying community made content. Some stuff presented on the official site are few from average community members. (most stuff is made by contributors of MT :P) Games like Pixture, or other WIP games are left out... I've seen many peeps leave because lack of feedback or interest in their mods and stuff...

Why did I sent this to you instead of posting? I didn't want to post too much on the topic and give chance for others to post. :P

I'm working on it now. In the mean time, some one should post some ideas! The first post will be Portal Gun mod, a amazing mod I've been running on my server for the past few days!

william341

by william341 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 01:44

Our first mod is Portal Gun by UjEdwin!

william341

Re: Minetest Player Initiative

by william341 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 02:04

I just caught that typo.
Notice how up to this point everything was Minetest Player Initative
yea, I'm done.

william341

by william341 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 01:14

anyways, I need a mod for next week, any ideas?

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 01:33

Smart_mobs?

prof-turbo

by prof-turbo » Sun Feb 14, 2016 00:04

Gravity Gun ?

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sun Feb 14, 2016 00:05

Here are my quick and dirty thoughts about this project:

Perhaps it would make sense to show what can be actually be played, not just what could be, in theory, be possible, eventually, maybe, etc. And show how Minetest is actually being played, right now. Show stuff that works already. Screenshots of real gameplay, some let's play collection, maybe? Or a server showcase. And to showcase the sandbox aspect, showcase those epic buildings many players have done. There are probably many other ideas of what to show.

I don't think it will help much to just throw in random mods in the website, this just adds to the confusion. Subgames are much more important IMO.
Unless you want to embrace the kinda chaotic nature of the Minetest forums. I don't know.

Also, I suggest to not put too much focus on the engine and the technical details and the Lua API. If I understood correctly, this is about attracting players, not developers.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

Return to Minetest General