default block size?

coding_novice

default block size?

by coding_novice » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:03

does anyone know the exact dimensions of the default block? (in real world measurements?)

(It's 1x1x1 in blender units, so nevermind)

(I don't know what that converts to in other modeling software, but if unit size is a standard, then that's something I didn't know)
Last edited by coding_novice on Mon Dec 19, 2016 03:01, edited 4 times in total.

firefox

In-game: Red_Fox

Re: default block size?

by firefox » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:09

i remember reading somewhere that 1 block in minetest is 1m in size.

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Sun Dec 18, 2016 16:57

Flick?... Flick who?

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 18:50

Each node in the standard cube form has an exact size of 1×1×1. Expressed in nodebox coordinates, the cube fills the room from -0.5 to 0.5 in all 3 dimensions. I guess this means your starter cube in Blender is also your standard Minetest cube. :-)
The length is without a “real” unit by default, as the engine does not dictate nor specify one.

However, in Minetest Game the node length is generally understood to be 1 metre. But this is semi-official and not really a strict standard, more meant as a guideline for design purposes.

Other subgames might differ, but the 1 metre guideline is a safe bet in most of the cases.

But since Mintest is an engine, subgames are of course free to pretend that a node length is whatever they want. For a subgame where you play as a small rodent, it might sense for the subgame author to specify that the node length represents 1cm. But remember, this unit stuff is all just convention; it does not come from the engine.

Oh, by the way: If you want to create an entity/object which is just a cube (of any size), you do NOT need a model, there is a simpler way for that. Please re-read lua_api.txt.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

coding_novice

by coding_novice » Mon Dec 19, 2016 01:58

"I guess this means your starter cube in Blender is also your standard Minetest cube."

(edit, ah, not standard blender cube, but one standard blender unit! Thanks :)

"If you want to create an entity/object which is just a cube (of any size), you do NOT need a model, there is a simpler way for that"

I understand that (more or less), but I for the most part will not be making cubelike models. I only want the test model as a size reference, and as a temporary placement block when testing code which uses meshes.

Return to Minetest General