Q - Old Map - New Minetest - What happens

LazyJ

Q - Old Map - New Minetest - What happens

by LazyJ » Wed Jan 02, 2013 16:19

If I keep building in the same world map will the new features that come along with the new versions of Minetest be incorporated into the old map or do I have to start all over again with a new world?

For example, someday in future Minetest v2.0 is the latest and greatest. Will the world map I've been plugging away at since the ancient days of Minetest v0.4.4 have all the slick new features like weather, high-altitude-pointed-peaked mountains, jungle biomes, arctice biomes, plains biomes, plateu biomes, giant red-woods, tree and other plant varietals, rivers, streams, waterfalls, valleys, coves, fjords, flying and nesting birds?

Would all these things be generatated by the mapgen in the areas of my old map that I haven't been in (haven't been generated yet)?

Thanks!

~ LazyJ
.: Minetest 0.4.14 ~ Linux Mint ~ A moka pot, a French press, a dirty coffee cup, and a spoiled-rotten kitty :.
Visit our Minetest server at: LinuxGaming2.com, port 30000
Screenshots, overview maps, and server info at: http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5684
My blog: http://lazyjminetest.blogspot.com/

Obiewan1111

by Obiewan1111 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 16:40

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that you can keep the same map. As I'd of thought that the features are client based rather than world based.
Youtube Channel; Minetest Gaming Videos

Is suggesting the Offtopic Section and getting it added an achievement? I guess it is!

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Wed Jan 02, 2013 16:55

I think you could keep the world and if there is something that has to spawn it will only be spawned in chunks that you have not loaded yet
Sometimes, it's harder to think up a mod than it is to create it.
Mods: Orichalcum Stonebricks Extra Chests

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Wed Jan 02, 2013 19:30

I was thinking of testing this with an old 0.3.1 map, but I haven't found a map that old in the maps section.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Thu Jan 03, 2013 00:58

In one word, CHAOS!

As in the case of Gameboom which had the same world from 0.2.1, it's hell when things switched to 0.4.x. Not to mention that it also got switched to 0.3.1 plus a few unstable dev versions inbetween. Without warning the server shuts down, you could end up with the section of the world you were working on over written with desert sand as it happened to me. The change of biomes from Jungle to Desert means the seed value of the world means totally different generation. Not enough Locked Chests are inmune to this blight. I lost 3 chest full of supplies.

Not pretty at all. Not to mention if you built something with sand or gravel... it collaspes at the slightest provacation. Not pretty... not pretty at all.

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:14

If your world's size is > 4 GB, yes you can run into issues. Else, you won't.

Micheal Eh? wrote:Not to mention if you built something with sand or gravel... it collaspes at the slightest provacation. Not pretty... not pretty at all.

Before loading the world you can edit the default mod's code to make sand and gravel non-falling.

Return to Minetest General