Release Engineering

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Release Engineering

by rubenwardy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 17:45

lightonflux wrote:I don't really care about version numbering, as long as vanilla minetest doesn't corrupt worlds. We should talk more about the release cycle and branch management, then version numbers.

What i saw especially with the 0.4.11 release was the uncertainty of the release date and different release stages (dev, freeze, testing, rc, release).

I just took a look at the release history (0.4.3 - 0.4.11) and the time between releases is 6 month max and 1 month min. The average is about 3 months (5-6-2-5-2-1-3-4).

So it might be smart to change to a regular release cycle of 3 or 4 month. So everybody knows when a version will be released and everybody can plan accordingly.

We're not Microsoft. We release versions when they're ready and when it makes sense. Versions numbers don't matter that much, anyway, if you play the latest dev.

Linuxdirk

GitHub: dsohler
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Thu Jan 08, 2015 18:26

rubenwardy wrote:… if you play the latest dev.

Exactly. If you play the latest dev.\
But since the majority of users aren’t developers but normal users they care. A reliable versioning scheme and continuous bugfix releases until the next feature release is something most users expect because they know it from other software.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 20:44

Err, what? You don't need to be a developer to play the latest version. It's just a version which has the latest features, which may be modified before the version is released.

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 08:40

It's just a version which has the latest features, which may be modified before the version is released.

It is also the version which has the latest bugs. ;-)
Not everyone wants to be an alpha, beta or whatever tester, some people just want to play.

continuous bugfix releases until the next feature release is something most users expect because they know it from other software.

This is a good and important point here. Imagine this: After X months, a release happens, then an annoying but easy to fix bug appears a week after the release. It also got fixed pretty quickly, but now all users have to wait until the next release to get those bugfixes. Using the bleeding edge is not an option precisely because it probably has a lot of other bugs and untested weirdnesses, so you would trade one fixed bug with a full sack of new bugs.

Let's suppose 0.5.0 is released.
One week later the annoying bug is noticed. Shortly after it is fixed in bleeding edge.
Now John Doe could use bleeding edge, but it may have accumulated other annoying bugs in the meanwhile. And 0.6.0 would take a long time to release.
The solution would be to backport all bugfixes or at least all important ones to the 0.5.0 branch and release it as 0.5.1, 0.5.2, and so on. Important: The bugfix release 0.5.1 should be based on 0.5.0 code and NOT on bleeding edge. This way, it is possible to make bugfix releases even if bleeding edge has advanced a lot.

This simple process should (hopefully) ensure that John Doe can always have a relatively stable Minetest version.

lightonflux

In-game: lof

by lightonflux » Fri Jan 09, 2015 09:22

Wuzzy wrote:This is a good and important point here. Imagine this: After X months, a release happens, then an annoying but easy to fix bug appears a week after the release.

But for something like that we don't need to plan regular bug fix releases. If something like that really happens it can be done on an case to case basis we don't need a rule set for (yet) theoretical cases.

Zeno

GitHub: Zeno-

by Zeno » Fri Jan 09, 2015 09:27

Let's just set a date and release 1.0.0 and from that point use semantic version numbers. Then at least there can be a stable branch, patches for critical bugs backported, and the version number actually means something.

As for regular releases on a schedule? I don't think that's very realistic at the moment (for a variety of reasons).

afflatus

GitHub: 0-afflatus
IRC: afflatus
In-game: afflatus

by afflatus » Wed Jan 14, 2015 13:51

If all devs are agreed that the next version is stable enough then release as 1.0.0
else 0.5.0 with a roadmap to stable.
I think SemVer makes the most sense to most people, github and distributions.

Jumping to 5.0.0 when there has never been a 1.0.0 will confuse people.
Grailtest is sleeping ...

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 15:15

You could release a news article saying that the 0. is going to be discarded. From there you use semantic versioning. In a rather Ministry of Truth way, you could refer to older versions as say 4.11, 4.10, 4.9

However this may not make sense as the 1.0 version shouldn't be the official public API.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Fri Jan 16, 2015 19:11

… and I still think that raising the major version by +5 by shifting the separator to the right makes no sense at all :)

I prefer what afflatus says. Change to 1.0.0 with the next “feels stable enough” release and use SemVer from that point on.

ShadowNinja

GitHub: ShadowNinja
IRC: ShadowNinja
In-game: ShadowNinja

by ShadowNinja » Fri Jan 16, 2015 20:09

Linuxdirk wrote:Change to 1.0.0 with the next “feels stable enough” release and use SemVer from that point on.

Minetest isn't going to "feel stable enough" for a while. We can switch to SemVer now,without any version jumps or other changes. Just continue with 0.5, 0.6, etc. This doesn't involve any version jumps at all and is minimally confusing.
I play on my Minetest server and VanessaE's.
The best way to contact me is usually IRC (InchraNet, freenode).

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Sat Jan 17, 2015 16:40

ShadowNinja wrote:We can switch to SemVer now,without any version jumps or other changes. Just continue with 0.5, 0.6, etc. This doesn't involve any version jumps at all and is minimally confusing.

Sounds very okay to me! :D

Previous

Return to Minetest General