tinoesroho's guide to compiling Minetest on Debian-based Linux

tinoesroho

tinoesroho's guide to compiling Minetest on Debian-based Linux

by tinoesroho » Mon Feb 20, 2012 21:35

Ayup, and Howdy-ho, my fellow minernauts! This is my first GUIDE I've written for Minetest-c55, and it probably shows. Nonetheless, this guide should walk you through the process of building the game from source & making a debian package for your own - or other's - use. So without further ado, let's begin this tutorial!

Getting the source
I'll confess I'm absolutely terrible at commandline-fu. Fortunately, you don't have to be a Linux master to obtain the base package we'll turn into a full-blown installable package. Grab the ZIP version of the package here. See? It wasn't that hard, was it?

Prepping to build
Okay, Linuxnauts! It's time for good old copy-paste into terminal action. Quick, open it!

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install build-essential libirrlicht-dev cmake libbz2-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg8-dev libxxf86vm-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libopenal-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libsqlite3-dev cmake checkinstall

UNZIP THAT PACKAGE!

Building with CHECKINSTALL
I got you to grab checkinstall for a reason! This baby will kindly install the package for you - and make it portable, so you can install it on other computers without having to rebuild it. ;-)

First, we open the extracted folder...
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
 cd DRAG FOLDER HERE

Now, to build.

Full install
sudo cmake . -DRUN_IN_PLACE=0 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr && sudo checkinstall -D make install

Portable install
sudo cmake . -DRUN_IN_PLACE=1 && sudo checkinstall -D make install

Shucks, that wasn't hard, was it?

User-built packages
Timestrapped Linux users can grab pre-built packages here - or you can kindly post your package, so others won't have to suffer!

Old packages
Use these only if the stable fails to work properly; these are snapshots from an early time.
Minetest 0.4 dev-snapshot (rev 0.4.dev-20120122-1-18-g993821a), x64, Ubuntu 11.10/Linux Mint 12 - built by tinoesroho.
Minetest dev snapshot (0.4.dev-20120122-1-g993821a) i386, Debian Squeeze/Crunchbang 10 Statler - built by JSonic.
--
Guide Revision History
0.2 - Revised with help from Topywo - July 25 2012.
0.1.1 - Revised build instructions as per JSonic's advice. - Feb 21 2012.
0.1 - Feb 20 2012 (First build of my guide).
Last edited by tinoesroho on Wed Jul 25, 2012 20:18, edited 1 time in total.
We are what we create.

I tinker and occasionally make (lousy) mods. Currently building an MMO subgame and updating mods. Pirate Party of Canada member. Sporadic author. 21 years old.

My github:
https://github.com/tinoesroho/

JSonic

by JSonic » Tue Feb 21, 2012 08:01

Nice guide, clear and helpful!

One suggestion:
tinoesroho wrote:
sudo cmake . -DRUN_IN_PLACE=1 ...

I'd use there
sudo cmake . -DRUN_IN_PLACE=0 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr ...

And here is my package:
Minetest dev snapshot (0.4.dev-20120122-1-g993821a) i386, Debian Squeeze/Crunchbang 10 Statler - built by JSonic.

Regards, JSonic
Last edited by JSonic on Tue Feb 21, 2012 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
Stairs are cool!
Minetest-c55 for Puppy Linux
Minetest-c55 PPA: daily, stable

theoriginalone

by theoriginalone » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:59

Is cd DRAG FOLDER HERE for placing every single folder into that form? Help! I'm still trying to compile, and I've never compiled before.

*EDIT: I have that finished, but now I need something. It says, "The source directory 'home' does not appear to contain CMakeLists. Specify --help for usage, or press the help button on the CMake GUI." What do I do?
Last edited by theoriginalone on Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
(>'.')> ~~~~~~~~~~%
O O

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:17

any of you guys this already tested on the rasberry pi ? cant wait to get the little pi, i wonder if minetest will run on it?
++++ Kung walang tiyaga, walang nilaga. ++++

chi-bo

by chi-bo » Tue Jul 24, 2012 18:50

hey hey,
nice tutorial but i hope you can help me with my problems with it. I do every thing like you said but terminal answer:
chi-bo@chi-bo:~/Downloads/celeron55-minetest-96eac87$ sudo cmake . -DRUN_IN_PLACE=0 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr && sudo checkinstall -D make install -denable_sound
-- *** Will build version 0.4.1 ***
-- IRRLICHT_SOURCE_DIR =
-- IRRLICHT_INCLUDE_DIR = /usr/include/irrlicht
-- IRRLICHT_LIBRARY = /usr/lib/libIrrlicht.a
-- GetText disabled
-- Could NOT find OpenAL (missing:  OPENAL_LIBRARY OPENAL_INCLUDE_DIR)
-- Could NOT find VORBIS (missing:  OGG_INCLUDE_DIR VORBIS_INCLUDE_DIR OGG_LIBRARY VORBIS_LIBRARY VORBISFILE_LIBRARY)
-- Sound enabled, but OpenAL not found!
-- Sound enabled, but Vorbis libraries not found!
CMake Error at src/CMakeLists.txt:65 (message):
  Sound enabled, but cannot be used.

To continue, either fill in the required paths or disable sound.
  (-DENABLE_SOUND=0)

Ghost_of_tino

by Ghost_of_tino » Tue Jul 24, 2012 19:17

I'm afraid I haven't updated the guide for a while - a number of things hae chang'd since 20120222. I suggest running the command like this:
-DRUN_IN_PLACE=0 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr && sudo checkinstall -D make install -DENABLE_SOUND=0

Linux can be a bit finicky about letter case. I assume CMake is similar.

Topywo

by Topywo » Tue Jul 24, 2012 20:20

I compared:
sudo apt-get install build-essential libirrlicht-dev cmake libbz2-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg8-dev libxxf86vm-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libsqlite3-dev cmake checkinstall

with the readme.txt:
sudo apt-get install build-essential libirrlicht-dev cmake libbz2-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg8-dev libxxf86vm-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libopenal-dev

You need to do:sudo apt-get libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libopenal-dev

p.s. First time I ever compiled I had the same problem of those missing libraries. Luckily Bad-Command helped me out with that :-D

chi-bo

by chi-bo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 00:59

Nice. Works!!

bulletrulz

by bulletrulz » Mon Jul 30, 2012 16:17

can someone upload the source code on a http site i have usb tethering

xrendan

by xrendan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 00:34

When I try to compile it I get
dpkg-deb: error: parsing file '/var/tmp/tmp.zgJQUHHgjW/package/DEBIAN/control' near line 7 package 'celeron55-minetest':
error in Version string 'c691d61-1': version number does not start with digit

nevermind I figured it out
Last edited by xrendan on Tue Jan 15, 2013 00:55, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Minetest General