Rename minetest_game

Napiophelios

GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

Re: Rename minetest_game

by Napiophelios » Sun Mar 01, 2015 19:49

Wuzzy wrote:minetest_game is not a game

Then thats where the focus should be; making it into a better game.
But I am pretty sure that's where the devs are headed anyway so the point is mute.

Wuzzy wrote:I also do not understand what you meant by “claritiy in the usage of terms”.

This is refering to how the terms are used in "official" documentation.
When the official documentation implements how the terms are properly used;
the players/users/modders/developers will follow suit by making the same distinction in their own discussions.

This is a basic premise of language/communication. If I want you to understand what I am talking about I will use terminology that is accurate in description and correct in usage...despite my personal feeling on what the actual words are.

Wuzzy wrote:A clarity would be an unambigious naming.
But if you defend ambigious names (the same name for both the engine and the default subgame), then how exactly does this helps here? o_O

The naming convention LinuxDirk proposes may be similar but hardly ambiguous...its quite the opposite. The names are very specific.
The Minetest_game is only going to be confused with the Minetest engine when the people discussing it fail to make the distinction
because they are so annoyed by the extra letters they have to type to achieve said distinction.

Which is weird,because the only people that need such a seperation in terms will be the people developing the game or creating mods;
Said people are generally programmers and programmers know the importance of exacting usage of terminology and punctuation

Wuzzy wrote:I hate it to write “minetest_game” or “Minetest (the subgame)” and “Minetest (the engine)” every time in discussions instead of a proper name. It gets annoying.

Krock has taken to using MTG when refering to the Minetest_game;
I think that can be extended to MTE when refering to the Minetest engine,
at least in so far as general discussion goes.

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Mon Mar 02, 2015 14:31

Let's just rename Minetest (the engine) to minetest_engine and be done with all this debate.
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Kibbie and I have a beautiful public server now! HOMETOWN

Minetestforfun

GitHub: Darcidride
IRC: Darcidride + MinetestForFun
In-game: Darcidride + MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Tue Mar 03, 2015 14:44

+1 for Vanilla Minetest / Minetest Vanilla

Because, i think everybody understand the word "Vanilla" :)

Magz_builder

by Magz_builder » Wed Mar 04, 2015 13:10

Just some feedback from a newbie who just downloaded the game and is still confused what is what:

I understand there are mods. The game comes default with one mod. I think that should be called the "Minetest Default Mod", or "Minetest Classic Mod".
If there is some underlying engine which runs the game, then please call it the Minetest Engine.

If there is more stuff in addition to that, then someone should explain that. Preferably using pictures. Diagrams can explain things that pages of words cannot.

Topywo

by Topywo » Wed Mar 04, 2015 22:07

@Magz_builder

I'll try to explain it keeping it readable for you without making too much 'technical' mistakes. There is far more, but one needs to start somewhere. Use your folders as a 'picture'

Following the minetest build instructions, you build 'minetest' consisting out of the 'minetest-engine' and 2 games that are placed in one of the engine's folders called minetest/games:
- minetest_game
- minimal

You can download other games and put them in the minetest/games folder or use a build that adds some games extra in that folder.

minetest_game has several mods, but only one of them is called default. The same is possible for other games.

Mods and modpacks you like to use 'extra' are best placed in the folder minetest/mods

If I am correct the question is if and how to rename the 'standard installed' game called minetest_game. (Most users will use this one, playing minetest for the first time)

firefox

In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Thu Mar 05, 2015 09:11

i am relatively new to minetest (i started in december) so i will add my thoughts as a beginner to this discussion:

"minimal" is good to understand, as it contains no extras at all.
"minetest_game" sounds like it is the complete game. i only knew about mods and the other stuff, because i know that principle from "Battle for Wesnoth" and i did a precise research about minetest before i started.
but if i didn't knew that, i would expect "minetest_game" to be everything the game has.

but since it has only the basic stuff and 2 biomes and 1 type of tree, it is rather a basis than a full game.
so until minetest becomes a "completed" game (version 1.0 or whatever it will be called) i would suggest the name
"Minetest-Base" or "Basic Minetest".
this implies that it is the basic game that can be expanded by adding mods and/or installing different map generators.

the term "vanilla" is obvious if you know about everything, but it is a kind of slang language that is new to me and thus probably confusing to newbies. the concept of "basic" should be clear to everyone.

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

It is done!

by Wuzzy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:14

It is done.

Okay, the developers of this subgame decided to rename it to “Minetest Game”.
Review the old discussion on GitHub here:
https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/issues/437

However, none of the files of this subgame have been actually changed yet, most notably its text logo. But I think this will soon be changed:
https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/issues/480

MeowCat

In-game: MeowCar

by MeowCat » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:48

It was not already minetest_game called ???
Why not "default modpack"?
+ Spoiler

Previous

Return to Minetest General