Sandy caves

slopsbucket

Sandy caves

by slopsbucket » Sun Jan 11, 2015 07:05

It's amazing how many differences a small change can make. I started messing around with mapgen options in the config file because there's too many caves for my liking. On some maps there's hardly anywhere you can dig without coming across them. In fact on some maps there's hardly anywhere to dig. So I'd change one parameter at a time then play to see the effect. With my latest effort there's now quite a bit of beach sand in many of the caves, I've even got a lava pool surrounded by sand. And yet there's only one small change from the default. Here's the line I added to my config:

mgv6_np_cave = 6, 6, (150, 150, 150), 34329, 3, 0.50

The only change is the numbers in the brackets, I changed them fron 250 to 150. Lava with sand - try map seed 7369 12244 07196 57414 (spaces are only to make the number easier to read, don't include them) location 574, -36.5, -54

Cheers,

Andrew.

slopsbucket

Re: Sandy caves

by slopsbucket » Sun Jan 11, 2015 09:16

OK, something wierd is going on here.

Started a new map with the details from above just to make sure I hadn't mis-typed anything and when I got to the lava pit there was no sand. It's the correct map seed but there's a few subtle differences and I can't understand why.

Check the two screenshots. I wish I thought of taking a screen shot of the sandy one before I started raiding it but that's the way life goes sometimes.

I can upload the world folder if anyone is interested, should be around 17 Mb when zipped.

Cheers,

Andrew.
Attachments
screenshot_3627639882.png
screenshot_3627639882.png (586.64 KiB) Viewed 291 times
screenshot_3626114134.png
screenshot_3626114134.png (667.91 KiB) Viewed 291 times

slopsbucket

by slopsbucket » Mon Jan 12, 2015 00:06

I've put this one down as one of the many vaguaries of the mad god RNG, also known to some as rand().

I've tried and tried and can't get a repeat of the world that was created yesterday morning, but I'm going to keep playing it for a while because I've never had another map like it.

To add a little more info - I got this map playing on Fedora 21 using the version straight from the Fedora repository. It's a little bit buggy, every time I start it for the first time it crashes and closes, start it the second time and it works perfect. I don't beleive there's anything wrong with Minetest because I don't get this behaviour in Fedora 19, Ubuntu 14.04 or Ubuntu 14.10.

It was Saturday when I was playing around with mapgen options. It was Sunday morning when I got the sandy caves. Got up, decided I was doing nothing for the day, started the computer and went straight to Minetest without doing anything else. (except for making coffee)

Cheers,

Andrew.

TG-MyinaWD

GitHub: Maddie-Myina
IRC: Maddie-Myina
In-game: .

by TG-MyinaWD » Mon Jan 12, 2015 14:48

I think the Worlds generation not same for each Build.
However there is a Random() thing in the core but Idk if will change it fully. Well I didn't tried. Maybe do so later.

But I still think each build of Minetest uses it own Generation.
I'm a Transgender no shame about it.
I prefer to be considered as a "Girl/Lady/Miss/Madam/Female" for now on.

slopsbucket

by slopsbucket » Mon Jan 12, 2015 22:22

The RNG is actually supplied by your operating system, not the game. So yes, every one's game will be slightly different.

In Fedora 19 you needed root priveledges to access RNG. This showed up badly if you loaded a few hundred songs into VLC and clicked the shuffle button, it would randomly choose about a dozen songs then replay the same dozen over and over. If you started VLC as root it would shuffle the whole rack properly.

I don't know if this is still the case in Fedora 21, I'll have to play a bit and find out.

As for me loading that map seed, I reloaded it about 15 times and every time was just slightly different from the last, a couple of trees were missing, or there was a patch of mud halfway up the wall, or the cave entrance was a slightly different size. So maybe the RNG in Fedora 21 now has access for all users.

Either way, I never got another one with sandy caves.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Return to Minetest General