direction

wokste

direction

by wokste » Fri Feb 24, 2012 17:26

Minetest-c55 is one of the first InfiniMiner/Minecraft(/whatever) inspired games (started October 2010), with a goal of taking the survival multiplayer gameplay to a slightly different direction.

What will be the difference in gameplay?

Edit: Personally I think we should go for more adventuring, with a better scaling difficulty.
Last edited by wokste on Fri Feb 24, 2012 17:43, edited 1 time in total.
We must be careful not to clone Notches mistakes.

Lunarhiro

by Lunarhiro » Fri Feb 24, 2012 17:39

You can jump over fences!!! ;D

XCalibur54

by XCalibur54 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 01:12

wokste wrote:
Minetest-c55 is one of the first InfiniMiner/Minecraft(/whatever) inspired games (started October 2010), with a goal of taking the survival multiplayer gameplay to a slightly different direction.

What will be the difference in gameplay?

Edit: Personally I think we should go for more adventuring, with a better scaling difficulty.

+1. That's the main reason I started playing this game. Minecraft just gets boring after 20 hours or so. Minetest looks promising.

It would be cool to see a lot more biomes, and enemies that scale in strength depending on how deep you are. (So -20,000 would be extremely dangerous, etc etc.)
Last edited by XCalibur54 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 01:12, edited 1 time in total.
Moderator of redcrab's 0.4 server: http://c55.me/minetest/forum/viewtopic.php?id=606

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:16

XCaibur54 wrote:Minecraft just gets boring after 20 hours or so. Minetest looks promising.

I do not approve... I play Minecraft since more than a year, it's still fun. Minetest is fun too, especially with 0.4 and modding.

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:34

Calinou wrote:
XCaibur54 wrote:Minecraft just gets boring after 20 hours or so. Minetest looks promising.

I do not approve... I play Minecraft since more than a year, it's still fun. Minetest is fun too, especially with 0.4 and modding.

yup its still fun but lacking the speed department.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

XCalibur54

by XCalibur54 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 16:57

Calinou wrote:

I meant after 20 hours on one map, not total gameplay.
Moderator of redcrab's 0.4 server: http://c55.me/minetest/forum/viewtopic.php?id=606

wokste

by wokste » Sun Feb 26, 2012 09:03

I think minetest looks promising as well. (I started more than a hundred games, but minetest beats them all)

However I see a pitfall. Since a clone tries to be exactly the same as the original game, it is almost impossible to become better than the original.

Therefore I think we should shift the focus a bit. Examples include:
* Adventure (go deep, fight strong monsters and get priceless objects)
* Trading (One player is a lumberjack, the other a miner. They should work together to get the most done.)

I just hope that this project will be a new game. I already have a copy of minecraft and don't need a second one.

What direction do you think minetest should go?
We must be careful not to clone Notches mistakes.

J0nnJ0nes

by J0nnJ0nes » Sun Feb 26, 2012 15:01

XCalibur54 wrote:It would be cool to see a lot more biomes, and enemies that scale in strength depending on how deep you are. (So -20,000 would be extremely dangerous, etc etc.)

Goblins, Orcs, Cave Trolls, Baal Rogs depending on your depth. Careful: The last 2 can dig through anything to get you!

wokste wrote:I think minetest looks promising as well. (I started more than a hundred games, but minetest beats them all)

However I see a pitfall. Since a clone tries to be exactly the same as the original game, it is almost impossible to become better than the original.

Therefore I think we should shift the focus a bit. Examples include:
* Adventure (go deep, fight strong monsters and get priceless objects)
* Trading (One player is a lumberjack, the other a miner. They should work together to get the most done.)

I just hope that this project will be a new game. I already have a copy of minecraft and don't need a second one.

What direction do you think minetest should go?

I need a second one ... minecraft is not really worth the ~$26 by itself. I would pay for some of the mods though, but Notch should have done more with those millions of dollars to deserve even more now that it's 1.0+ . Plus Java is way too limited, and leaky.

It's already different than minecraft, although it's just getting started, so don't go around making judgements until you see something closer to minetest 1.0 ... it's far too soon to point out a route when you don't even have half a wagon (Right now, I would say closer to a unicycle or bicycle).

Heck, minetest has rope as a mod ... as far as I know, minecraft has no mod that has rope. And I can tell you, rope is revolutionary. Also, you shouldn't rely on the game makers for a difference in the game, simply because you don't have to anymore. This game is fully open source, and you're free to try out new things, including things in C/C++ to expand the game itself. It may even be merged in to the main branch, if it's good enough, or just stick to your own branch.

Or you can just stick to scripting and expand to the very limits. Lua-scripted mods could also be merged into the main branch(like it matters!), if it's good enough. It still has a way to go in developing scripting, but that's just plain impatience. You can already do tons, and some mods are just waiting to be tested (don't you like testing new things? And hey, there's always someone there to fix it if anything gets broken!).

In other words: If you want it different, make it different. You, not "them". As for the aim, let's see how far we can shoot first, then we can get an aim.
Last edited by J0nnJ0nes on Sun Feb 26, 2012 15:03, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Minetest General