Looking for kid-friendly resources

noordinaryspider

IRC: noordinaryspider

Looking for kid-friendly resources

by noordinaryspider » Mon Jul 20, 2015 02:50

Hello, my son is only seven and not old enough for forums yet, so I am looking for kid-friendly resources for him. He enjoys watching Stampy videos on YouTube and was thrilled to find Morn76's Stampy mods here. I am interested in checking out any age-appropriate videos, tutorials, mods, and (hopefully) finding a server where he can play with other children and/or a mixed age community where we are both comfortable.

He has been playing single player for awhile and I am just tech support at the moment, but we're working on that. ;)

twoelk

Re: Looking for kid-friendly resources

by twoelk » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:27

welcome to minetest !

there are quite a few parent-child teams here and several mods where born out of the ideas created within such a combination.
Some run family-servers that are invite-only or seldom public, actually the public list shows only a part of online-minetest servers.

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:10

VanessaE's Public servers are the best child friendly that can be accessed.

Some points - moderated frequently, rules are enforced all the time, etc.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8364

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 13:11

I haven't yet seen any inappropriate mods on the forum (except maybe firearms and the poo mod) however there may be swearing in replies to the topics. You can use Krock's Minetest Mod Search (google it) to get the downloads for mods without viewing forum topics. Alternatively, you could supervise them when downloading.

On multiplayer servers, there's usually chat. Is the problem for you your child sending messages (including personal info) receiving messages (maybe inappropriate) or both?

Morn76

GitHub: mdoege

by Morn76 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 17:28

Of course you could also run your own server, it's not that difficult. This gives you control over installed mods and which players can join the server. Either rent a LInux VPS or run the MT server on a box inside your house and set up a dynamic DNS service such as DynDNS so the server can be reached over the Internet.

Dragonop

GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Wed Jul 22, 2015 00:56

Well, welcome!
You usually don't find any kind of inapropiate stuff on the forums, but that's your choice.
About the servers, as Jordach said, VanessaE's servers are child friendly and very moderated, so most of the time people help players.
If you are worried of the chat, and your son sending/receiving messages you can hide chat with F2!
If you don't want he to send messages, you can try to avoid it by deleting the "chat" key, and the "command" key.

Have a nice time playing!

noordinaryspider

IRC: noordinaryspider

by noordinaryspider » Thu Jul 23, 2015 17:04

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and all the helpful replies!

We'll check out VanessaE's servers. My son has very little online experience so he's a bit naive about giving out personal information and his typing skills are still a work in progress, but he's much more experienced at the game itself than I am so I see a wonderful opportunity to help each other out.

I'm so glad to find out that there is a strong community of younger players as well. We'll be around.

Return to Minetest General