What is the future for Minetest?

Clouds

In-game: Cloud

What is the future for Minetest?

by Clouds » Sat Sep 05, 2015 03:22

What is the future for Minetest? Where are we in the game compared to past versions? What are do you want to expect for the next version?

These are 3 questions that are quite interesting because most of us know what we want for the next version/release but yet we don't know what we are even going towards as a game as a whole. Have we really improved from the original release or just added meaning less modifications without improving the base mechanics give to us by celeron and the other original helpers? Do we want more add-ons or improved game mechanics for the future on minetest? What is the end game for minetest or for that fact is there a end game? Will be 0.5 be any different from 0.4 was or is it going to be a continuous loop with same old stuff with just renewed textured every updated to make us think there have been a lot of changes?

What do you guys think? State where you think we are as a game and what you think should be added or enhanced and finally what do you think the future for minetest is???

Personal thought: I think we really haven't improved since 0.3 most of the base mechanics are still the same with some small tweaks and bunch of blocks add...don't get me wrong there have been some nice add-ons but the only big improvement was the minimap but that was the first major thing since the public server list was added at the beginning of 0.4 almost 3 years ago ( quote me if I am wrong ). For the next version I expect no new add-ons, I want absolutely nothing new and a complete updated on the mechanics and look for Minetest to make it appealing for new players and make it more configurable in-game with having to go to the config.txt to change everything. Add some kind of name locking system that is granted to true minetesters... Until we start reforming what we already have I don't think there is a future for Minetest other than the same thing we had 3 years ago and all that is is new blocks, new blocks, new blocks, and o wait more new blocks. -.-

P.S. Don’t criticize for others thoughts I just want to see what everyone thinks :)

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

Re: What is the future for Minetest?

by benrob0329 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 04:37

Linxx

by Linxx » Sat Sep 05, 2015 08:25

the future is game engine

Amaz

GitHub: Amaz1
IRC: Amaz
In-game: Amaz

by Amaz » Sat Sep 05, 2015 13:46

Clouds wrote:Personal thought: I think we really haven't improved since 0.3 most of the base mechanics are still the same with some small tweaks and bunch of blocks add...don't get me wrong there have been some nice add-ons but the only big improvement was the minimap but that was the first major thing since the public server list was added at the beginning of 0.4 almost 3 years ago ( quote me if I am wrong ). For the next version I expect no new add-ons, I want absolutely nothing new and a complete updated on the mechanics and look for Minetest to make it appealing for new players and make it more configurable in-game with having to go to the config.txt to change everything. Add some kind of name locking system that is granted to true minetesters... Until we start reforming what we already have I don't think there is a future for Minetest other than the same thing we had 3 years ago and all that is is new blocks, new blocks, new blocks, and o wait more new blocks. -.-

Actually, a lot has changed since 0.3.x :) Firstly, the modding api was added! In 0.3.x, there was no way of changing the game except editing the source code and re-compiling it. So all the things you can do with mods have been added since 0.3.x. I think that the public server list was added in 0.4.7, which was released on 6th June 2013. Another (major) addition from 0.3.x is the ability to have multiple worlds on the main menu. Noclip is another, as are mesh nodes. The choices of mapgen are also a lot better, as are the base biomes (even in mgv6). There haven't been all that many things like the minimap added, but the modding api has had a lot of work done (it is still far from perfect though) meaning that most big gameplay things are handled by mods... But the work done to Minetest since 0.3.x is not negligible!

Clouds

by Clouds » Sat Sep 05, 2015 14:02

You guys are missing the point that is what I personally thought on the matter.... I dont care what actually changed, just want to see what your thoughts are.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sat Sep 05, 2015 18:46

Increasing performance (optimisations and bug fixes).
Increasing modding capabilities (client side scripting)

User experience and friendliness could also use some work.

---

The 0.4.x is all about modding and subgames, so you won't see much of the progress visually.

I agree that a settings browser is needed. Would you like to see one in game or just on the mainmenu?

What do you mean by add-ons? Do you mean mods?

What do you mean by end-game?

Remember that Minetest is actually two projects combined. The Minetest Engine needs more control by mods. The Minetest Game needs a more concrete style, and should be less of a Minecraft-like.

Ferk

GitHub: Ferk

by Ferk » Sat Sep 05, 2015 20:10

benrob0329 wrote:https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/2370

There are 2 things in that list that make me excited:

- Client-side Lua?

I have a feeling we will see a new array of mods with this. Or at least, many of the current mods will be way faster (ambient sounds? ...mobs?) so they might be able to get included in minetest_game (maybe?). It will probably relieve a lot of the workload that was all server-side. Also this probably should be accompanied with networking optimizations (also in the roadmap)

- Re-design formspec (#1399)

Current formspec seems to be a bit inflexible. Improvements here might improve the overall controls and usability. And might also make easier to create new interface windows for the mods.

Also the Mod Store mockups look awesome.
Not sure if we can use that, though. What is MMDB?
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

Clouds

by Clouds » Sat Sep 05, 2015 21:06

rubenwardy wrote:
I agree that a settings browser is needed. Would you like to see one in game or just on the mainmenu?

What do you mean by add-ons? Do you mean mods?

What do you mean by end-game?

Ether or on the settings because having at least one would make it vastly more accessible for the players.

Add-ons, they keep adding new mods/blocks to the default game with out really improving what is already there.

As for a end-game, what I mean by it is what is the current minetests end result. When are we going to stop with the current progress and shift it to something new. ( Not a new game but take it in a new direction or a new aspect of the game )

Linuxdirk

GitHub: dsohler
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Sun Sep 06, 2015 00:03

Clouds wrote:What are do you want to expect for the next version?

I totally hope there will be a lot of clean-up and performance optimization done in the foreseeable future :)

Long-term goals should be a comprehensive API covering all aspects of the engine and games and not only limited entitiess, limited nodes and limited formspecs. A complete overhaul of the mobs AI would be great, too.

Also weather with server-side cloud definitions so that downfall actually comes from clouds. Having a heavy cloud cover and rain and when above the couds you’ll see them from top and above you is the blue sky. Speaking of that: We need the stratosphere! Low oxygen, cold, but a spectacular view!

Ferk

GitHub: Ferk

by Ferk » Mon Sep 14, 2015 21:09

By the way, I just noticed that the development branch for 0.5 in minetest is called "deprecated_dev-0.5" and wasn't touched in half a year. Was the new network model discarded?
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

Return to Minetest General