Your Can't Ignore The Reality Of This Community Forever

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Your Can't Ignore The Reality Of This Community Forever

by Inocudom » Mon Sep 07, 2015 05:35

There were some bad things that I noticed about this community lately, and the following video by oOChainLynxOo speaks of them:
https://youtu.be/zM2Fl__bR5s
Now, before you turn your noses as high as the sky and stop the video as soon as it starts, I want you to consider not doing so. Instead, I want you to consider every vowel, every syllable, and every consonant that is to be heard and to do some very serious and very sincere soul searching. This is a very, very serious matter.

Clouds

In-game: Cloud

Re: Your Can't Ignore The Reality Of This Community Forever

by Clouds » Mon Sep 07, 2015 06:18

I 100% agree, the community has gone down hill. It seems now days some if not most peoples voices are ignored, their ideas get trashed with out a second thought on the matter. This isn't just hurting the community but the game its self is suffering from this because some of their ideas could lead to something great in the game later on. But what does it matter I bet 90% of people on the forums will ignore this post and/or this topic because they don't care what you think. Its all about personal gain now days... if it doesn't personal help them, it is nothing.

BrandonReese

GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Mon Sep 07, 2015 06:19

I didn't watch the whole video. I watched about 7 minutes. But basically he left because of things that are out of "our" control. In an open community for an open source project you can't control who joins or what they do with the project. He doesn't want to deal with pre-teens and people that annoy him, and that's fine, but you can't put that back on the community as a whole. Pre-teens are going to be annoying pre-teens, we all were. People are going to do things you disagree with, with the product. Non technical people always think it's the developer/administrator's fault that things don't work the way they expect them to work.

Linuxdirk

GitHub: dsohler
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Mon Sep 07, 2015 06:40

Even on max volume and with headphones I can’t understand anything!

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:42

I'll repost my YT comment:

Our community isn't just the people playing on servers, it's also the people on the forum - I'd argue that the forum is more important as a community around a game. I haven't played on a Minetest server in a few years (not since the Redcrab days of 0.4.1) except for administrating and developing my Capture the Flag server.

Servers should be able to choose whether:
1. Tablets can see their server in the serverlist.
2. Tablets can connect to their server.

If 1 is false, but 2 is true then experienced players can log on using their tablets without the more noobish tablet players from just stumbling upon it.

jp

GitHub: kilbith

by jp » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:55

We have lot of talkers but not much doers here, that's the problem.

I personally don't give a single fuck about a crybaby with a level of practical value near zero.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Mon Sep 07, 2015 13:18

The problem is that they outnumber the serious players.

My problem isn't with immature players, it's with 'stupid' players - ones that walk around punching things randomly.

The problem is that there's no good way to identify android clients. You could add a flag to the connection protocol, but it'd only work with new clients, you wouldn't be able to detect older ones.

Another solution is to allow servers to identify to multiple server lists, and then have a new server list only for serious players.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Mon Sep 07, 2015 13:39

+1 Linuxdirk

Horrible sound... I hear the words but the "essence" of those is missing.
Is there anyone who watched it all and can briefly re-tell what's going on?

What I got so far:
"Here are the reasons:"
"Teens..."
"no one buys desktops..."
"poop..."
"last 2-3 years..."

Also it is funny how newcomers talk about MT community.
He came from MC, he went... IDK where to.
He had his auditory as one of the first letsplayers who did MT alongside MC.
But I doubt he knew where he came to in the first place.

Many of us (including myself) were stupid enough to wait until devs would have "this" or "that" done in the past.

But Minetest needs a lot of work.
Not "waiting".
Not "asking for".
Not being able "to reach the devs".
Not being pleased with everything and just go letsplaying.
No.

Minetest needs loads of time to be polished.
Some of us have spent years to do that and they are still somewhere in the middle of it. But that is not our fault that ppl like Chain leave this place. We did a good job with little to no help. But eventually it is easier to blame someone than do something.

Here is what Chain has added to the community: search.php?author_id=4141&sr=posts
75 posts isn't that much for someone who has been around since January 28th, 2013, 5:59 am, if you ask me.

So, he came, made letsplays, used community's work, helped with almost nothing and now he blames the very community that was so nice to him...

Edit: Games are for fun, not for serious players.
Edit 2: +1 JP.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Mon Sep 07, 2015 13:54

I totally agree.

By "serious players" I meant people who actually want to play the game, rather than walk around aimlessly and grief.

Here is a summarysummary:
Minetest has been ruined by noobs
These noobs are because of tablets
Tablets are worse than Mac gamers, it's a joke, it's not gaming.
Minecraft got ruined now Minetest.
Minetest has deterioted since two three years ago, the community used to be so helpful.
Then lots of offtopic bitching about other youtubers.

Morn76

GitHub: mdoege

by Morn76 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 13:54

Maybe there is something to be said for the MC approach where PE clients cannot log into servers for Java MC. The glorious PC gamer master race wants their servers to themselves, that much I understand from the video.

everamzah

GitHub: everamzah
IRC: everamzah
In-game: everamzah

by everamzah » Mon Sep 07, 2015 14:34

The players running mobile versions of Minetest (or some illicit clone) are people too. I think it would be sad not to cater to them to some degree, at least the legitimate minetest android clients. A lot of people don't own a computer, but they do own a phone, and are willing to try minetest. They should probably have a place to connect. A second server list may serve a good purpose, but dividing an already small player-base might not be a good idea.

Dartmouth

IRC: pilino1234

by Dartmouth » Mon Sep 07, 2015 15:02

everamzah wrote:A lot of people don't own a computer, but they do own a phone, and are willing to try minetest.

Wut? I'm not so sure about this statement, if people have a phone that is capable of playing games (and have found minetest, for that matter), I really doubt that they don't have a computer...

I guess, what's lacking in the community is technical know-how and/or at least the willingness to help (which ties into what @BrandonReese said)

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Mon Sep 07, 2015 15:33

Serverlists aren't the only way to join servers, you can use their address. Minetest survived without a server list until 0.4.7 (or 0.4.9, I forget)

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 15:38

Ok, I will admit that I didn't make it all the way through the video.

However, the just of what I got is that the Minetest community has grown, and as with every other website and forum, when it grows, you get a lot of jerks. I don't think that this is a reasone to leave MT completely though, Accually I have found these forums to be quite enjoyable, arguments, bugs and all.

I do see your point, oOChainLynksOo (if your reading this) that gaming communities have gone downhill. But, the whole world has gone downhill too, so...I do think that this is more of a rant that anything else.

oOChainLynxOo

by oOChainLynxOo » Mon Sep 07, 2015 15:39

Shoutout to ChaosWormz for showing me this. If he didn't share it with me, I wouldn't have seen this at all.That aside, let me get a few things straight since I couldn't fit everything I wanted to say in the video.

I'm not pinning this on the community as a whole, I'm not knocking the community, I'm not saying it's the good part's fault or that they're in control of where the community's headed. There are still great people here such as Inocudom, rubenwardy, VanessaE, mostly people who do their best to contribute to this community and I salute them. What I meant was I can't stand the community anymore because of it being surrounded by the types of people that pretty much everyone agrees that are bad and they over-saturate and overshadow the real good players and contributors to this thriving community and makes the experience as a whole not so great.

I apologize for the misunderstanding everyone.

And yes, the audio's bad. So is my current half-working headphone jack that turns everything up above max, even on 15% volume. I apologize for that as well.

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 16:02

oOChainLynksOo, no community is perfect. The only one I know of that is even close is my website, and only because it lacks members!

I think that rather than leaving, perhaps trying to salvage what is left of the communities you brought up might be a better option. But, perhaps most are just too far gone...

oOChainLynxOo

by oOChainLynxOo » Mon Sep 07, 2015 16:53

benrob0329 wrote:oOChainLynksOo, no community is perfect. The only one I know of that is even close is my website, and only because it lacks members!

I think that rather than leaving, perhaps trying to salvage what is left of the communities you brought up might be a better option. But, perhaps most are just too far gone...

That's why after a long while a few months ago I came back to try to salvage what I could, especially after hearing that Redcrab was down for a long while, but it's a bit of a lost cause. Who knows? Things might get better. I'm always thinking positive.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Mon Sep 07, 2015 17:31

Redcrab is back online afaik, however not sure for how long. The good old days of RedCrab; things were simple then <3

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Tue Sep 08, 2015 02:02

Being fed up with certain players on open servers is totally understandable, that's why i avoid popular open servers.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Tue Sep 08, 2015 02:14

Yes, Redcrabs server was a very fine one and did work well. And the young children unsing tablets are found more and more often on servers. They're young...they don't know that their behaviour is often annoying for adults, or what they could do better. Most of them get bored easily and seek a task to do. Which is a problem in a sandbox game where you can do quite a lot of things but are not forced to do something in particular right now. The skyblock game is pretty helpful in that regard as it gives players goals.

We could give new, inexperienced players a small area on each server where they can do anything they like (mostly getting used to the controls of the client and figuring out how everything works), and only after that beeing "released" to the world. A bit like a tutorial perhaps.

Of all new players, only a very few ones will actually be a gain to "the community". That's the same for all games, and there is no real way around that.
A list of my mods can be found here.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Tue Sep 08, 2015 06:15

1. The tablet which is able to play games (including MT) is 6x cheaper than PC. See "Archos GamePad 2" - It's a 2013 tablet with HW buttons that costs around $100 now (was ~$200).
IDK how about the whole world, but in Russia that is a cost of a single 1Tb HDD. So, no PC for one for that much money ;)

2. Tablets with HW controls like the one mentioned above can be configured to play MT using those in no time.
That would still be not as good as PC controls, but much better than touchscreen controls, imho.

3. I don't know "people that pretty much everyone agrees that are bad" either on any server or within the forum branch of the community. It's *so* subjective after all...

5. Redcrab's server is basically a map and a set of mods - just like any other. I can't believe no one would like to help Redcrab with hosting or administrating his server (or a copy of his server).

4. If it's a server community problem, then open your own server - the one with chess and poetesses.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Tue Sep 08, 2015 08:12

4aiman wrote:5. Redcrab's server is basically a map and a set of mods - just like any other. I can't believe no one would like to help Redcrab with hosting or administrating his server (or a copy of his server)

Not sure if you've heard of Silvercrab, it's a fork of Redcrab by OldCoder. I'm not sure how well it's taken off - it's on the public server list.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:34

I've seen it in the public list, but didn't know it's a copy.
Will try that out :)
Thanks!

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Wed Sep 09, 2015 02:20

4aiman wrote:1. The tablet which is able to play games (including MT) is 6x cheaper than PC. See "Archos GamePad 2" - It's a 2013 tablet with HW buttons that costs around $100 now (was ~$200).

I bought a very cheap tablet on sale some time ago for 40 Euro. Similar ones are available for less than 60 Euro all the time. The hardware of the tablet is too weak for MT as it only has 512 mb ram. As far as computers go, a computer magazine here recently tried to construct the cheapest possible new machine and ended up with 180 euro. They where not happy with it, but most was due to the extremly low-quality case and power supply. The rest of the hardware was ok (not even a cheap atom-class cpu). A monitor was not included.

4aiman wrote:IDK how about the whole world, but in Russia that is a cost of a single 1Tb HDD. So, no PC for one for that much money ;)

Some cheap external 2.5" hdds with 1 tb are available starting around 50 euro.

4aiman wrote:2. Tablets with HW controls like the one mentioned above can be configured to play MT using those in no time.
That would still be not as good as PC controls, but much better than touchscreen controls, imho.

I wonder how many players have those. Such devices seem rather exotic and are usually more expensive when new. I'm also surprised that tablet players do get along at all. For me, controlling MT with a tablet (or smartphone) is very tricky.

4aiman wrote:5. Redcrab's server is basically a map and a set of mods - just like any other. I can't believe no one would like to help Redcrab with hosting or administrating his server (or a copy of his server).

It is very difficult to reach Redcrab. His server runs fine mostly. Imagine that - a server running about a year, with the server admin nowhere seen. It did work well for a long time and still runs, but MT has developed since then and there are problems with newer clients. You have to delete your cache folder before connecting and floating water and lava may cause strange graphics errors.

rubenwardy wrote:Not sure if you've heard of Silvercrab, it's a fork of Redcrab by OldCoder. I'm not sure how well it's taken off - it's on the public server list.

Sadly, not so well. OldCoder is very friendly and helpful, but he listened too much to too young players I guess. There are hdx textures installed now - which break existing buildings - and a bunch of other mods which where never native to Redcrabs server. But OldCoder also offered to continue and maintain Redcrabs server in a more true to its origins version - sadly, like everybody else, he didn't get a reply from Redcrab. Redcrab probably doesn't have enough time even that :-(
A list of my mods can be found here.

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Thu Sep 24, 2015 04:20

I think ochain lost his mind. In one of his latest videos he calls people homos and a once he calls someone a nigger. The video is called Andrew acts autistic. I have an autistic child and my wife works with kids that have autism. I do not think that ochain is acting in a very responsible manor and I do not think that the community should give him much credit. I hope that ochain responds to this comment so he can explain why he has disrespected so many people and then posted it to youtube.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

oOChainLynxOo

by oOChainLynxOo » Thu Sep 24, 2015 06:34

Don wrote:I think ochain lost his mind. In one of his latest videos he calls people homos and a once he calls someone a nigger. The video is called Andrew acts autistic. I have an autistic child and my wife works with kids that have autism. I do not think that ochain is acting in a very responsible manor and I do not think that the community should give him much credit. I hope that ochain responds to this comment so he can explain why he has disrespected so many people and then posted it to youtube.

You wanted a response, and a response you shall receive even though I'm this close to closing my forum account.

The video with the N word and calling people homos, that was all my friend Andrew. He even recorded the footage of it and sent it to me. I don't take any responsibility for what he said in that video. We were bored one day and decided to go and mess around in TF2.

On to the second part of your post, I'm of the opinion that you can joke about anything. Jokes are not meant to be taken seriously by anyone at all. There is a line you shouldn't cross though. Let's use swatters as an example. They think they're funny but they're causing actual harm to people physically or mentally by calling the SWAT team on someone's house saying that there's a bomb threat or there are people being held hostage. The SWAT team busts down their door under the impression that there's something serious going on there. They're pointing guns everywhere and doing their job. On the other side of the story, the person/family living there are just minding their own business when all of a sudden people bust through the door and point guns at them. One wrong move and they're dead. That's emotionally scarring that could be long-term or lifelong.

Thankfully people are being caught for swatting now but when they're asked why they did it, they say it was just a joke. That wasn't even a joke! That was them just causing extreme misery to people for their own sick kicks.

Finally, when my mother was going through cancer and chemotherapy, I was one of these people so yes, I can understand where you're coming from. I would hear my mom insult her cancer though. "Stupid cancer," she would say, and she said it a lot. I realized that joking about cancer isn't joking about patients, it's joking about cancer itself.

And before you say I know nothing about autism, I have a younger brother who is a sufferer from autism. I know. It's tough. But that doesn't mean that I can't make fun of what made him how he is. Even he jokes about it. He's loosened up. If he can, lots of others can as well.

Also before someone challenges me by saying "Well you're still making fun of something that makes someone not normal." Define normal in human. Name me one person who isn't different. Maybe in how they think, how they see things, their opinions/morals//tastes, basically anything that makes a human, human. My mother used to say "we're all human. We all have our unique quirks and kinks and that's what makes us, us." My moral compass is exactly how it used to be, but I've loosened up. I've learned to relax about it all.

Finally, if there's someone out there who's offended by a JOKE that I made, they need to leave my channel. If there's someone who's offended by a joke anyone makes for that matter, they need to walk away, for they don't realize that jokes, no matter how bad it might be, if it's said with any type of comedic or humorous value, meant to make people laugh, and I'm not talking about bullying, it's not supposed to be taken seriously. I love people too much to make things actually insulting and blindly so. I've taken great thought into what I say, and using your mindset, common jokes about mental disorders such as schizophrenia, insanity, dementia, multiple-personality disorder, etc, would be offensive as well. "ARE YOU CRAZY," comes to mind.

This is my final post on this forum. Thank you all for the laughs and cries, good times and bad.

everamzah

GitHub: everamzah
IRC: everamzah
In-game: everamzah

by everamzah » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:29

What does your black brother say?

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:29

Sorry for not noticing that it was Andrew. Does not change the fact that derogatory terms were used to insult a person. Going online and calling people names is not comedy. In the video were you talk about leaving minetest you are upset about people not being serious about game play but you upload a video of Andrew being a total idiot. Can you explain why that is any different? He never even played the game. He just ran around and said stupid things to people. If this is what you consider comedy then you really need a reality check.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

jp

GitHub: kilbith

by jp » Thu Sep 24, 2015 16:26

"Homos" is certainly not an insult, but the right denomination of this sexuality (shortening of "homosexual").

Otherwise agreed with Don about this young teenager...

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 16:36

Calling someone a homo is insulting, as you're using it as a bad word. The word itself isn't necessarily wrong.
As for referring to groups of people as homos, that's fine if they are actually homosexual.

Next

Return to Minetest General