Setting absurdly long view range

OmniStudent

Setting absurdly long view range

by OmniStudent » Thu Oct 08, 2015 07:07

Is there a way (changing of source code OK) to extend the viewing range?
However I put the settings, it seems the game doesn't render nodes further than approximately half a kilometer. I've been standing in the same place for half an hour, hoping for the landscape further away to show.
I am aware that this may slow the game down to Unplayable, I just want to see what it looks like.

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: Setting absurdly long view range

by Krock » Thu Oct 08, 2015 07:19

Somewhen there's a limit when Minetest stops generating and/or sending far mapblocks.
For this, change in your minetest.conf the following lines:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
#    From how far blocks are sent to clients, stated in mapblocks (16 nodes)
max_block_send_distance = 10

#    From how far blocks are generated for clients, stated in mapblocks (16 nodes)
max_block_generate_distance = 6

minetest.conf.example GitHub link
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

OmniStudent

by OmniStudent » Thu Oct 08, 2015 08:06

Thanks, will try when nobody at work is looking ;)

Morn76

GitHub: mdoege

by Morn76 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 09:49

Have you tried to enable far view by pressing R? First fly around the map a bit so everything gets loaded, then hit R.

OmniStudent

by OmniStudent » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:08

Thanks!

OmniStudent

by OmniStudent » Thu Oct 08, 2015 16:35

But that light blue artifact in the water is really annoying. I get them all the time.

kaadmy

GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Thu Oct 08, 2015 17:39

OmniStudent wrote:But that light blue artifact in the water is really annoying. I get them all the time.

Is that just sky showing through un-generated ground?
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Thu Oct 08, 2015 17:50

Press + until it is at the range you want. - makes it shorter range.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

OmniStudent

by OmniStudent » Fri Oct 09, 2015 05:13

kaadmy wrote:
OmniStudent wrote:But that light blue artifact in the water is really annoying. I get them all the time.

Is that just sky showing through un-generated ground?

Never thought of that, but ground is obviously generated very far in the xy-plane.

celeron55

by celeron55 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 13:28

That's an optimization that makes views like this look nasty. The server assumes that things that are pitch black and far away from the player wouldn't be visible or useful and doesn't send them, but as it turns out, the bottom of oceans is exactly like that.

You can try how it looks without that if you can modify the code and re-compile:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
diff --git a/src/clientiface.cpp b/src/clientiface.cpp
index a6ab1ef..1379431 100644
--- a/src/clientiface.cpp
+++ b/src/clientiface.cpp
@@ -288,19 +288,6 @@ void RemoteClient::GetNextBlocks (

if(block->isGenerated() == false)
                                        block_is_invalid = true;
-
-                               /*
-                                       If block is not close, don't send it unless it is near
-                                       ground level.
-
-                                       Block is near ground level if night-time mesh
-                                       differs from day-time mesh.
-                               */
-                               if(d >= 4)
-                               {
-                                       if(block->getDayNightDiff() == false)
-                                               continue;
-                               }
                        }

/*

However, I'm not sure if we should just remove that piece of code. Some kind of an actual fix to it so that it would send ocean floors, but still not things that are very far in actual undeground, would be much better.

Another option of course would be to make the bottom of the skybox to be black. Then the blue sky wouldn't shine through like that. It might make more sense than making the server send pitch black blocks. Certainly it would have better performance at least.

OmniStudent

by OmniStudent » Fri Oct 09, 2015 14:49

Thankyou, will try this in the weekend.

OmniStudent

by OmniStudent » Sun Oct 11, 2015 14:51

Worked as you said!

Before:
After (couldn't figure out where to change the view distance for this one, but nevermind) :

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Thu Oct 15, 2015 05:00

The second screenshot looks good. I sometimes fly around just to get the ocean floor covered. Can this be added at least as an option to the game?
A list of my mods can be found here.

jin_xi

by jin_xi » Thu Oct 15, 2015 13:04

Sokomine wrote:The second screenshot looks good. I sometimes fly around just to get the ocean floor covered. Can this be added at least as an option to the game?

probably not, or at least not before 7 years down the road. Devs are busy doing, then re-doing, then discussing various innoticeable changes and then scrapping them. important stuff, like hyphens in code, adding dead code, "better" solutions for the golden future (never used...) so PLS STOP MAKING SENSE. kthxbai

Don

by Don » Thu Oct 15, 2015 13:45

jin_xi wrote:
Sokomine wrote:The second screenshot looks good. I sometimes fly around just to get the ocean floor covered. Can this be added at least as an option to the game?

probably not, or at least not before 7 years down the road. Devs are busy doing, then re-doing, then discussing various innoticeable changes and then scrapping them. important stuff, like hyphens in code, adding dead code, "better" solutions for the golden future (never used...) so PLS STOP MAKING SENSE. kthxbai

That's a bit harsh isn't it? Although I don't agree with some of the things that the dev team does I still appreciate all the work they do. Constructive criticism is good but what you said is nothing more than an insult. It is not productive and can cause harm.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

Minerz

GitHub: Minerz
IRC: Minerz
In-game: MinerMan

by Minerz » Fri Oct 16, 2015 00:35

jin_xi wrote:

Just sayin', that's rude. :(

Ferk

GitHub: Ferk

by Ferk » Fri Oct 16, 2015 09:21

@jin_xi in the meantime you are busy not being helpful. The devs move at a prudent pace. They want to avoid implementing experimental things that will break stuff or affect performance. I don't think that kind of feedback will make devs listen to you, as it just gives the image of a naysayer.

Example of an attempt to give constructive feedback on this:

Since there's already code to check for farther away nodes, would it be possible to alter the way the water nodes in the frontier are rendered? I mean, somehow render the last water nodes of the far away frontier so that their faces are visible. If this is done only with liquids that are in the limits of the rendering it would look fine.

This way you wouldn't need to render the whole ocean floor nor would you have to find a way to make the sky change without making it look bad when you are flying above a singlenode mapgen world.

EDIT: ok, I just realized that the check is per-block not per-node (which makes sense). I guess it would be too much to affect the opacity of all the nodes in the block.

Is there a way to render the faces of the liquids when they are next to an "ignore" node? There's this related PR that adds faces for waving liquids, but not sure if it's helpful.
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

AnxiousInfusion

GitHub: AnxiousInfusion[GitLab]
IRC: AnxiousInfusion
In-game: AnxiousInfusion

by AnxiousInfusion » Sat Oct 17, 2015 22:51

jin_xi wrote:

It may be harsh, but it is true enough that the core developers are aware of the problem.

Don

by Don » Sat Oct 17, 2015 23:17

AnxiousInfusion wrote:
jin_xi wrote:

It may be harsh, but it is true enough that the core developers are aware of the problem.

I was reading the irc log and saw a quick mention of it and then they go on to discuss things that matter. Your comment before stated "Devs are busy doing, then re-doing, then discussing various innoticeable changes and then scrapping them". If you read through the whole page you can see that they are discussing more important things.
If the dev team was as ridiculous as you claim then we would not have any changes. Just look at the difference between 0.4.10 and the latest dev version and you will seen a huge difference.
Also, even if you was 100% correct, your comment does nothing to help. If you really think that the dev team is that bad then what should be done about it? Should we see if the dev team will have a conversation with you were you present your evidence that they are not doing what they should do? Maybe you could start a new tread that addresses this. You could lay out your argument and present your evidence and then ask the dev team if they would read it.
I know the dev team is not perfect. No one is. I do see the great things that they are doing though. For a free open source game I do believe that it is advancing nicely. Might not be advancing in the direction I would prefer but since I am not able to fork minetest and develop it in a different way I choose to be happy with what the dev team does. If I am not happy then I voice my opinion in a constructive way and hope that I am heard.

est31

by est31 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 00:44

@celeron55 there is an algorithm we could implement:
https://tomcc.github.io/2014/08/31/visibility-1.html

AnxiousInfusion

GitHub: AnxiousInfusion[GitLab]
IRC: AnxiousInfusion
In-game: AnxiousInfusion

by AnxiousInfusion » Sun Oct 18, 2015 04:34

Don wrote:I was reading the irc log and saw a quick mention of it and then they go on to discuss things that matter. Your comment before stated "Devs are busy doing, then re-doing, then discussing various innoticeable changes and then scrapping them". If you read through the whole page you can see that they are discussing more important things.
If the dev team was as ridiculous as you claim then we would not have any changes. Just look at the difference between 0.4.10 and the latest dev version and you will seen a huge difference.
Also, even if you was 100% correct, your comment does nothing to help. If you really think that the dev team is that bad then what should be done about it? Should we see if the dev team will have a conversation with you were you present your evidence that they are not doing what they should do? Maybe you could start a new tread that addresses this. You could lay out your argument and present your evidence and then ask the dev team if they would read it.
I know the dev team is not perfect. No one is. I do see the great things that they are doing though. For a free open source game I do believe that it is advancing nicely. Might not be advancing in the direction I would prefer but since I am not able to fork minetest and develop it in a different way I choose to be happy with what the dev team does. If I am not happy then I voice my opinion in a constructive way and hope that I am heard.

I am not the same person who made the original comment. I do read through those pages each day and I was particularly happy to find talk of updating the encryption with TLS. Sokomine's criticism just made me think of that one part of yesterday's chat.

Don

by Don » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:57

Sorry. I should have read it better.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Fri Oct 23, 2015 03:55

AnxiousInfusion wrote:Sokomine's criticism

It wasn't intended to be criticism. I just saw something that might be an improvement and became hopeful :-) There's usually quite a lot of work behind some things.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Return to Minetest General