Using textures and model on YouTube

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

Using textures and model on YouTube

by benrob0329 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 06:06

So I am now monetizing my YouTube videos, but I know that some textures and models are licensed under CC noncommercial, does this apply to this situation?

LazyJ

Re: Using textures and model on YouTube

by LazyJ » Fri Dec 04, 2015 00:57

I'm curious about this too because, someday when I learn how to record Minetest videos for YouTube, I'd like to be able to make some extra income from AdSense or whatever YouTube uses.

I posted this thread's link on freenode #minetest to see if anyone had experience on this issue. As yet, there has been no "experienced" input. While chatting I did a bit of quick research and found two links of interest.

It looks like you ("you" being anyone reading this) are not allowed to make any money from using anything that is CC-by-NC: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/

Another set of examples, in layman's terms: http://mollykleinman.com/2008/08/21/cc-howto-2-how-to-use-a-work-with-a-noncommercial-license/

Where I get confused is by what they mean by "use".

If I post a YouTube video of me driving a nail into a 2x4 with a "MasterCraftsman" brand hammer, but the video is about how to nail a couple pieces of wood together with a hammer and nail, am I supposed to pay royalties to MasterCraftsman?

If one uses a mod or texture pack in their YouTube video, they are not selling the mod or the texture pack. In fact, they are not selling anything at all - Google is. It is Google who decides what ads to put in the adsense slots. It is Google who gets paid first and then, if the YouTuber gets enough views, clicks, or whatever metric is used, then the YouTuber gets a tiny sliver of Google's ad revenues.

But in the second link I posted, there is the "Three pairs of mini examples" paragraph, example number 3: "Using a photo on a personal website that has no ads = Non-commercial Using a photo on an ad-supported website = Commercial"

That last part, "Using a photo on an ad-supported (ie, monetizing with Google's AdSense) website = Commercial" , I think, is the trip-up that means you are not allowed to use the CC-by-NC stuff in your YouTube videos if you get any money out of it.

I'm not a lawyer so I may be completely wrong on this. I'm hoping those with more experience and insight chime-in on this thread.
.: Minetest 0.4.14 ~ Linux Mint ~ A moka pot, a French press, a dirty coffee cup, and a spoiled-rotten kitty :.
Visit our Minetest server at: LinuxGaming2.com, port 30000
Screenshots, overview maps, and server info at: http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5684
My blog: http://lazyjminetest.blogspot.com/

benrob0329

by benrob0329 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 01:05

Hmmm...then I may have to figure out somehing else out for my new YouTube intro, sense my skin is based on Sam 2...

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 01:43

What's under a NC license? It's shouldn't be.

benrob0329

by benrob0329 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 02:41

Sam 2 is under a NC license, unless the one included with MT Game is under LGPL...

jp

GitHub: kilbith

by jp » Fri Dec 04, 2015 09:21

rubenwardy wrote:What's under a NC license? It's shouldn't be.

Why ? I personally couldn't stand anyone making easy money on my toil (collaborators aside).

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:59

An NC license isn't open source or free content, which would surprise me:

OSD - Open Source Definition
The case for Free use: reasons not to use a Creative Commons -NC license

jp

GitHub: kilbith

by jp » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:46

^ These are more ideological than pragmatic definitions. Open-source is open-source, i.e. ability to access the code. If commercial parasitism is allowed, then it's an extra-right gravitating around, but it's certainly not a participative catalyzer by itself.

Kpenguin

IRC: Kpenguin
In-game: Kpenguin

by Kpenguin » Fri Dec 04, 2015 13:47

Maybe donate the proceeds to the Minetest project? If you did do that, you would want to advertise that in the description so people that like Minetest will watch your videos more.
I've considered this with my SuperTuxKart youtube channel.
supertuxkart.net

"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Players will always find the hidden flaw in your master plan; If there's no hidden flaw, it's against the rules; If it isn't against the rules, one player will convince the others it is. - Murphy's 2nd Law of Gaming

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

benrob0329

by benrob0329 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 15:12

Donating wouldn't change the license, if Jordach doesn't get on this thread I'll have to ask him in a PM about licensing...

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Fri Dec 04, 2015 16:16

Every artwork included in minetest_game is CC BY-SA (some textures are even WTFPL).

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Fri Dec 04, 2015 19:41

benrob0329 wrote:Donating wouldn't change the license, if Jordach doesn't get on this thread I'll have to ask him in a PM about licensing...

uwotm8?

The only time I ever got bitchy about someone using my stuff was this:

This image was the offender (Dirty P2W MC server I accidentially found while browsing le Reddit):

+ Spoiler

One of these "cards" has the MT dirt block on it.

Now, look at this.

Seems familiar? You should. Want to know the source blend? My MediaFire;

http://www.mediafire.com/?2jjl70udzmv7na3

(This happened one year ago and the owner did change the image to something less FOSS-y. And no, I didn't make any demands, just a simple request to change it.)

Go nuts m8. I simply don't care.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

benrob0329

by benrob0329 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 19:55

Wait what!? Someone used your MT Blend file for MC?!? Did they even give you credit???

Thanks Jordach, though I don't know what "uwotm8?" means...

Well I guess I better figure out what mods I used in my videos and double check licensing...

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Fri Dec 04, 2015 20:02

benrob0329 wrote:Wait what!? Someone used your MT Blend file for MC?!? Did they even give you credit???

Thanks Jordach, though I don't know what "uwotm8?" means...

Well I guess I better figure out what mods I used in my videos and double check licensing...

No credit given. ayy lmao.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

Nathan.S

GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Thu Dec 10, 2015 14:52

Well I'm no lawyer and ha e no legal experience but I know of several gaming channels that do lets plays of commercial games which they monetize. I dont think the gameplay is an issue, but I think if you were maybe using the mods graphics card or models to make channel art that you would need to give credit.
I've been found mod reviews for about a year and have the videos all monetized never gave the licenses of the mods any thought, have't had any issues either.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website.

Return to Minetest General