Updating Minetest to current revisions?

Kpenguin

IRC: Kpenguin
In-game: Kpenguin

Updating Minetest to current revisions?

by Kpenguin » Wed Jan 13, 2016 15:33

Hi everyone,
I just downloaded the minetest development version and compiled from source. I looked on the wiki, but didn't see any information about commands to update it to the current revisions. I'm running Ubuntu 14.04. How would I do this?

Thanks
Kpenguin
supertuxkart.net

"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Players will always find the hidden flaw in your master plan; If there's no hidden flaw, it's against the rules; If it isn't against the rules, one player will convince the others it is. - Murphy's 2nd Law of Gaming

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

everamzah

GitHub: everamzah
IRC: everamzah
In-game: everamzah

Re: Updating Minetest to current revisions?

by everamzah » Wed Jan 13, 2016 15:45

If you downloaded the dev version of Minetest from GitHub, then you already have the latest revision. Further upgrades are just a matter of `git pull` and recompiling. The file README.txt contains compilation instructions: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... E.txt#L102

Or did you mean some other thing?

Edit: Are you asking how to upgrade the game files? That's another `git pull` in the games directory: `git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game`

Kpenguin

IRC: Kpenguin
In-game: Kpenguin

by Kpenguin » Wed Jan 13, 2016 16:13

I mainly need to know what folders to cd when I do git pull. I assume it's minetest/ and minetest/games/?

btw, I followed the instructions on the developer wiki, not the readme on github.
supertuxkart.net

"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Players will always find the hidden flaw in your master plan; If there's no hidden flaw, it's against the rules; If it isn't against the rules, one player will convince the others it is. - Murphy's 2nd Law of Gaming

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

everamzah

GitHub: everamzah
IRC: everamzah
In-game: everamzah

by everamzah » Wed Jan 13, 2016 17:44

As the README.txt file states:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
Download source (this is the URL to the latest of source repository, which might not work at all times) using git:
$ git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/minetest/minetest.git
$ cd minetest

Download minetest_game (otherwise only the "Minimal development test" game is available) using git:
$ git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game.git games/minetest_game

I would recommend moving your old minetest directory prior to performing the above actions.

firefox

In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Wed Jan 13, 2016 18:30

if you use an ubuntu-like system, try calinou's one-line-install command: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3837
that is what i use. i also have the dayly ppa added to my software resources, but it only updates the file content. to actually "update" the version number i have to use calinou's command.
only updating minetest_game must be done manually.

(i envy you for being able to source-build minetest. i can do it with Battle for Wesnoth (that one is easy) but when i tried to update minetest this way i couldn't understand anything. i would be totally lost if i hadn't calinous 1-line-command ...)

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 19:22

Calinou's one line command is source building minetest. It's all the commands you need to use as one command.

Return to Minetest General