[Conspiracy Theory] Minetest development coopted.

AnxiousInfusion

GitHub: AnxiousInfusion[GitLab]
IRC: AnxiousInfusion
In-game: AnxiousInfusion

[Conspiracy Theory] Minetest development coopted.

by AnxiousInfusion » Thu Jan 14, 2016 19:15

*Disclaimer: I don't necessarily believe what is written below

It could be possible that one or some of the core Minetest contributors are plants and/or compensated by competition in order to disrupt the Minetest project. With the goal of sabotaging critical features in the name of design direction or "distinguishing MT from that other game", they might push for things such as;

- Clinging fervently to legacy APIs and libraries in a 'noble effort' to maintain compatibility with old, obsolete hardware.

- Declining features that have already been developed by others which any gamer would expect to be present in a modern voxel game.

- Subtly failing to fix long standing bugs which aren't game-breaking but otherwise sour the MT experience.

Minetest is fascinating and brings a lot to the table in terms of out-of-the-box features. The overall design holds so much potential that hasn't been fully realised and to think this is the result of volunteer effort truly impresses me. But some odd decisions leave me thinking of an old quote "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

maikerumine

GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

Re: [Conspiracy Theory] Minetest development coopted.

by maikerumine » Thu Jan 14, 2016 20:06

Possible yes, likely no.

Minetest community is tiny microcosm in which we exist.

I believe the core devs need to work more together and have meetings instead of contributing at random.

The whole of minetest would need a master plan instead of its current ad hock method of construction.

My thoughts.

BobbyBonsaimind

GitHub: RobertZenz
IRC: Robert_Zenz
In-game: Bobby

by BobbyBonsaimind » Thu Jan 14, 2016 20:44

Forget it...shouldn't read the forum when sleepy.
Last edited by BobbyBonsaimind on Thu Jan 14, 2016 20:47, edited 1 time in total.

BobbyBonsaimind

GitHub: RobertZenz
IRC: Robert_Zenz
In-game: Bobby

by BobbyBonsaimind » Thu Jan 14, 2016 20:45

maikerumine wrote:I believe the core devs need to work more together and have meetings instead of contributing at random.

The whole of minetest would need a master plan instead of its current ad hock method of construction.

AnxiousInfusion

by AnxiousInfusion » Thu Jan 14, 2016 21:21

That link shows us that even the project creator doesn't really have any direction for Minetest. There are a lot of "I don't know"s and "I don't have an answer"s in his posts.

hmmmm

by hmmmm » Fri Jan 15, 2016 17:19

Hah :D

You certainly have some good points. What are some specific examples, though?
Which "legacy" compatibility features are you talking about in particular, and how are they interfering with new development?
Which bugfixes are you talking about in particular? Maybe I can shed some light on why they haven't been merged (or, if there is no reason, merge them)

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Fri Jan 15, 2016 19:35

I find conspiracy theories fun to ponder. The possibilities are endless. The problem with most conspiracies are they are based on speculation instead of facts. Without facts they are nothing more than fiction.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

kaadmy

GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Fri Jan 15, 2016 23:21

Don wrote:[...] The problem with most conspiracies are they are based on speculation instead of facts. Without facts they are nothing more than fiction.

Hence the "Theory".
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

AnxiousInfusion

by AnxiousInfusion » Sat Jan 16, 2016 05:54

hmmmm wrote:Hah :D

You certainly have some good points. What are some specific examples, though?
Which "legacy" compatibility features are you talking about in particular, and how are they interfering with new development?
Which bugfixes are you talking about in particular? Maybe I can shed some light on why they haven't been merged (or, if there is no reason, merge them)

I shared this a while ago of Minetest running on a 450Mhz Pentium III system. While it's great that Minetest's backward compatability allows people like me to run MT at 7FPS on hardware that nobody uses anymore, I have to wonder how much effort is being put into maintaining compatility that we essentially don't need. Especially considering there are other contributers vocalizing the ways it inhibits shader features on dev IRC. I would love to investigate deeper but it's probably apparent that I'm far from being a software developer.. I only got around to learning a few months ago. Other than that, a particular consistent bug (or perhaps issue?) I'm sure everyone is familiar with is the inventory lag. I assume this is something that 'worked well enough so let's just build on it and fix it later'. Do point out why this is all wrong as I'm here to learn, not to be an ass. I promise.

Edit: A simple PR for fullscreen option in GUI settings (though I understand why this particular PR was closed)

Don wrote:I find conspiracy theories fun to ponder. The possibilities are endless. The problem with most conspiracies are they are based on speculation instead of facts. Without facts they are nothing more than fiction.

Precisely why I posted this. Hopefully it garners a fun topic and maybe a little insight.
Last edited by AnxiousInfusion on Mon Jan 18, 2016 18:03, edited 1 time in total.

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Sat Jan 16, 2016 06:38

If it were true i would certainly be a plant =)

An attempt to sabotage shaders and fancy visuals would not be needed as celeron55 himself is as opposed to those as any other dev, MInetest has always been about simple graphics.

Any attempt to sabotage doesn't seem effective, despite the lack of trendy eyecandy the game is very popular, perhaps the 2nd most popular voxel sandbox after Mnecraft, certainly the most popular open source one and was recently declared the best open source game by a large open source website. More popular than Terasology which has the fancy visuals.

Nathan.S

GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Sat Jan 16, 2016 22:36

Minetest may have come in better rated than Terasology based on the fact that it requires almost no effort to install and run. I've tried getting Terasology to work multiple times, but I always get some errors about Java libraries and stuff, so I've given up on it, though some of the features they have do seem really nice.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website.

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Sun Jan 17, 2016 01:38

I installed Terasology a while ago. It looked great but seemed to lack something that minetest has. I am not sure what that is. Might just be my biase but I do think it lacks something.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

AnxiousInfusion

by AnxiousInfusion » Sun Jan 17, 2016 06:47

paramat wrote:If it were true i would certainly be a plant =)

An attempt to sabotage shaders and fancy visuals would not be needed as celeron55 himself is as opposed to those as any other dev, MInetest has always been about simple graphics.

Any attempt to sabotage doesn't seem effective, despite the lack of trendy eyecandy the game is very popular, perhaps the 2nd most popular voxel sandbox after Mnecraft, certainly the most popular open source one and was recently declared the best open source game by a large open source website. More popular than Terasology which has the fancy visuals.

Yes, I saw that article via GamingOnLinux and was very pleased to see Minetest voted into the listing. How do we measure that player count anyway? Downloads? Server populations?

Return to Minetest General