RealBadAngel

MirceaKitsune

GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

Re: RealBadAngel

by MirceaKitsune » Fri Mar 25, 2016 01:07

This is... weird... sorry I can't find a better term now. We used to talk often on IRC, and he'd often show me screenshots as we'd plan various features for Minetest... last time we were closely discussing his new shaders. I'm currently confused at how someone just dies like that... it's different to see such happen in practice from when you just think of it in theory.

I'll admit that part of me hoped RBA faked this, to get away from conflicts in the dev team. I heard of people who did that online before, and it even happened to me very long ago with a friend. From what I'm hearing though, that's pretty unlikely.

kahrl

by kahrl » Fri Mar 25, 2016 01:21

It's so hard to express my thoughts in words. But I'll try.

This makes me so sad. I will miss you, Maciej...

... as the graphics wizard. Nobody else was as good and prolific at creating new shaders, drawtypes, or other graphics features for Minetest. And I think you were the only one (besides celeron55) that knew the mesh making code in and out.

... as a developer in general. I hope you didn't hate my guts whenever we vehemently disagreed on something trivial. But I always enjoyed your work and evidently many players did too. I don't know much about what you worked on outside of Minetest, but the demoscene creations you showed us from time to time were always fun to watch and listen to.

... most importantly, as a friend. I don't know whether you considered me one as well and we never had the chance to meet in person. But I will miss all the chats with you and the banter.

My thoughts are with his loved ones.

afflatus

GitHub: 0-afflatus
IRC: afflatus
In-game: afflatus

by afflatus » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:40

Rest In Peace Maciej "RealBadAngel" Kasatkin.

Grief is weird, it can bring up all kinds of unexpected emotions and leave us feeling helpless, especially in a situation like this, where few of us really knew RBA. Words seem really weak at times like these. I hope we can hold together as a community and that he will be remembered through his contributions to Minetest.

My heart goes out to all who were close to him.
Grailtest is sleeping ...

srifqi

GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Fri Mar 25, 2016 14:49

I also condolences over the death of RBA.

He has been through a lot of things during the 43 years of his life. In Minetest, he has donated time and thoughts so that this game can still attract attention. Lastly, he is a member of a large family Minetest community.

Hopefully he can rest in peace. Family and relatives were given patience and fortitude.

~ srifqi
I'm from Indonesia! Saya dari Indonesia!
Terjemahkan Minetest!
Mods by me. Modifikasi oleh saya.

Pronounce my nick as in: es-rifqi (IPA: /es rifˈki/)

Thomas-S

GitHub: Thomas--S
IRC: Thomas-S
In-game: Thomas-S

by Thomas-S » Fri Mar 25, 2016 16:13

Rest in peace, RealBadAngel.

Onyx

In-game: onyx58

by Onyx » Fri Mar 25, 2016 18:22

May you find peace henceforth RealBadAngel.
Deepest condolences to his family.

Onyx
"Science sans conscience n'est que ruine de l'âme."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steinheim NodesNation : steinheim-minetest.servegame.com Pt : 28000

cHyper

IRC: cHyper
In-game: cHyper

by cHyper » Fri Mar 25, 2016 18:26

R.I.P. RealBadAngel.

cx384

GitHub: cx384
IRC: cx384

by cx384 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 19:40

I do not intimately know RealBadAngel but I'm very sad to get that.
RBA's technic mod was one of my favorite mods.

Goodbye RealBadAngel, I hope you'll get a nice residence in heaven.
Can your read this?

sofar

GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Fri Mar 25, 2016 19:59

cx384 wrote:I do not intimately know RealBadAngel but I'm very sad to get that.
RBA's technic mod was one of my favorite mods.

Goodbye RealBadAngel, I hope you'll get a nice residence in heaven.

We're still going to be taking care of minetest-technic (it has 3 more active devs), so please keep using it.

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Fri Mar 25, 2016 22:54

sofar wrote:We're still going to be taking care of minetest-technic (it has 3 more active devs), so please keep using it.

Sooner or later, someone will have to ask these questions: What are we going to do about shaders next? RBA was working on a new shader pipeline, and had bloom as well as depth-of-field working... also on phong based realtime lighting. Did he get to post them on GitHub for someone else to continue? If not, is there any chance that someone else will be able to redo them and still make them happen? Both for the project but also in his memory, I don't want the features he had in progress to die with him...

sofar

GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Fri Mar 25, 2016 23:21

MirceaKitsune wrote:
sofar wrote:We're still going to be taking care of minetest-technic (it has 3 more active devs), so please keep using it.

Sooner or later, someone will have to ask these questions: What are we going to do about shaders next? RBA was working on a new shader pipeline, and had bloom as well as depth-of-field working... also on phong based realtime lighting. Did he get to post them on GitHub for someone else to continue? If not, is there any chance that someone else will be able to redo them and still make them happen? Both for the project but also in his memory, I don't want the features he had in progress to die with him...

Please open a separate thread for discussions like these, ok?

Short answer: none of his code will be lost. I myself and others have copies, and you can grab a copy yourself as well. (But lets continue this discussion in another thread).

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Fri Mar 25, 2016 23:45

sofar wrote:Please open a separate thread for discussions like these, ok?

Short answer: none of his code will be lost. I myself and others have copies, and you can grab a copy yourself as well. (But lets continue this discussion in another thread).

Thanks for the answer. And sorry... I might open another thread on that later if no one else does.

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Sat Mar 26, 2016 15:33

That's very sad to see. Some days ago I haven't found any words tell him to get well soon and now it's too late.
You were a great community member - and made so many new features and improvements in the game, specially the minimap.

I will miss you. Rest in peace.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

DS-minetest

GitHub: DS-Minetest
In-game: DS

by DS-minetest » Sat Mar 26, 2016 18:47

I saw this topic yesterday because another person said it me. I first thought O_O and "is this a joke?". I always saw him as someone, who is higher than me. I don't know much about him, his life or what he has done with Minetest. The problem is, when people stop developing and playing Minetest, the game dies even faster because the people don't see any sense in it anymore. So we must stay strong to hold the game and the forum alive. I thought such of problems don't happen to such important people, but they do.
I did never speak or write to him personally but he will be missed.
Sorry for my bad English!
Do not call me -minetest.
Call me DS or DS-minetest.
I am German, so you don't have to pm me English if you are also German.
The background is a lie.

MineYoshi

GitHub: MineYosh
IRC: MineYoshi
In-game: Kirby_Retro

by MineYoshi » Sat Mar 26, 2016 19:28

R.I.P

In my sincerely opinion about this, i am very sad...

I hope God help his family with this situation, in really i hope his family can resist this tragic moment.

The forum will not be the same without him.

I hope he be in the heaven...
People talk about freedom of speech, so i'll say that God exists.
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt
I'm the Officially 1st ABJist in the world ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Sat Mar 26, 2016 21:17

ಠ_ಠ

Oh shit.

Like, oh shit.

Fuck. Fuck.

FUCK.

This hurts me more; I remember testing the initial version of his technic mod. 0.4.3 or 0.4.4. Pretty sure it's one of them.

My condolences and thoughts to his immediate friends and family.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

Palige

GitHub: paly2
IRC: Upsilon
In-game: Upsilon

by Palige » Sun Mar 27, 2016 13:46

I am (was) not close to RealBadAngel, and I am really a very, very little developper in this (big?) community. However, I used many mods that he made, and I know he contributed a lot to the minetest engine itself.
Sorry for my english : I am french...

Some of my minetest stuff:
MoreMesecons
Throwing Redo
A few other things

I'm hosting the Mynetest server

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Wed Mar 30, 2016 15:07

:(

rest in peace RBA.......
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
Hi, my username is azekill_DIABLO and i'm an exelent bug-maker(yeah...i know...i have a bad reputation)

azekill_DIABLO said: Mineyoshi+ABJ+Baggins= TOPIC HIJACKED.
My Mods and Stuff | Voxellar | VoxBox on GITHUB | M.I.L.A Monster engine
WEIRD MODDING CONTEST !!!

TG-MyinaWD

GitHub: Maddie-Myina
IRC: Maddie-Myina
In-game: .

by TG-MyinaWD » Wed Mar 30, 2016 20:24

Rest in peace RBA. I loved all you did for Minetest. And, you did a great job. You will always be remembered what you did for us.

Goodbye dear friend :(
I'm a Transgender no shame about it.
I prefer to be considered as a "Girl/Lady/Miss/Madam/Female" for now on.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Wed Mar 30, 2016 23:25

It is difficult to find words in such a situation. I don't know if he knew me further, and I can't claim to have known him closely. Our areas seldom intersected, with him knowing so much about graphics and me so few. Yet we sometimes talked on IRC, and it was a pleasure.

Each time we talked, he was developing something nice and sharing intresting screenshots of upcoming new features. He deeply cared about us, the players, and wanted to improve the game so that it might be enjoyed even more. He did spend a lot of effort on it, working many long hours, fighting with the other devs to find the best way. I think he really loved coding.

It is a pity that he is no longer with us here.

Let us keep his memory by using and further developing what he wrote - by enjoying the graphics features and his mods. That is what he wished for in his life.

Good-bye for now, RBA, or Maciej, as was your name. I do not know what you believed in, but when the time comes, let us meet again at God's side and be with him forever.
A list of my mods can be found here.

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Thu Mar 31, 2016 03:47

Like others, I've been at a loss for words to express how I feel. On a personal level, I can't articulate it... feels hollow, empty. He was my friend, as much so as anyone else I know exclusively online. I'm sure things will feel better eventually, but when he died, something in me died with him.

When RBA started to have problems with what he described once as extremely high blood pressure, I naturally began to worry both for the project and for his personal life, since he had family and local friends. Now that that day has come, my worries have been amplified.

He and I shared common roots as coders on classic 8-bit platforms (though he did Z-80 and I was into 6502), and pretty much thought alike. He, being a demo coder, was better at those things than me (as I focused on tools), but over the past few years since he arrived in the community, we've talked, planned, brainstormed, and argued, but in the end came to a compromise. We talked about everything - cooking, politics, religion, programming, graphic design. So that he could follow some non-Minetest things I'm into, his girlfriend Katarzyna and I became friends on Facebook.

We got pissed off at each other once or twice over things that, in retrospect, were probably kinda petty, but we both got over it quickly. A couple of times, he wanted to leave the community over friction with other core developers, but we all thankfully convinced him to stay.

Now he's gone entirely, and I kinda think to myself "how shallow this is" that his Minetest activities should be what stands out the most about him. There was a LOT more to him than that, most folks just didn't get to see it much.

I am reminded of a particular, brief scene from the beginning of "Amélie", where a guy erases his just-deceased best-friend's name from his address book. His heavy sigh on doing so, with the expression on his face, sums up how I feel. I miss him.
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

mati1

by mati1 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 19:58

Hallo ALL sorry for my english

Maciej He was buried today. in Wloclawek, was cremated
http://grobonet.mzukid.pl/grobonet/star ... =0&cinki=0

not to forget about him and prayed for his soul

Beste Grüsse
Najlepsze Pozdrowienia
Attachments
k1.JPG
Maciej in Holand
k1.JPG (248.34 KiB) Viewed 4690 times

Zeno

GitHub: Zeno-

by Zeno » Fri Apr 01, 2016 13:20

All I can say is that he was a talented developer and a good online friend. I am devastated to hear this news.

DI3HARD139

GitHub: DI3HARD139
IRC: DI3HARD139
In-game: DI3HARD139 DI3HARD139_

by DI3HARD139 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 04:16

Rest in peace RealBadAngel. He will be remembered for all he had done for the community.
Servers: mt.rrhgameservers.ml = [RRH] MT-Creative (48250), RRH-Survival (48253), Unknown (48255), Minetest City (48262)
Specs = Intel Core i5-3570s 16GB DDR3 2TB HDD, Ubuntu Server 16.04.1 x64 XFCE
------------------------------------------------------------
System: Lenovo Thinkstation S30 = Intel Xeon E5-2665, 20GB DDR3 (1333MHz Non-ECC), Gigabyte GTX1060 6GB, 3.5TB Storage, Win 10 Pro x64.

Martin_Devil

GitHub: MoNTE48
In-game: MoNTE48

by Martin_Devil » Mon Apr 04, 2016 21:26

I did not know him personally, but he has done so much work in Minetest. Without this human Minetest I would not have had so many interesting and exciting features.
RIP. Community Minetest should never forget about it.
I think a good idea to dedicate the release of 0.4.14 to him, he made so many improvements and bug fixes for this! We also should not forget about the code, over which he had no time to finish the job:
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pulls/realbadangel

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Mon Apr 04, 2016 22:03

There's something I've been wanting to suggest. I don't know if it's a stupid idea, and feel free to slap me if so:

Could we perhaps add some sort of bonus item or easter egg in minetest_game, in the memory of RBA? I'm thinking of something very rare (like MESE or Nyan Cat) with a reference to him. Obviously it must be an item that makes sense in the game, and doesn't break the fourth wall into real life issues... just an indirect reference would be fine.

One possible example that popped to mind: In very rare cases, Nyan Cat blocks that spawn in the sky could have angel wings, as a reference to his nickname. If the player gets them, they could gain the ability to fly! Dunno... just thought it would be nice if someone did something like this for core MTG.

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Thu Apr 07, 2016 06:06

MirceaKitsune wrote:There's something I've been wanting to suggest. I don't know if it's a stupid idea, and feel free to slap me if so:

Could we perhaps add some sort of bonus item or easter egg in minetest_game, in the memory of RBA? I'm thinking of something very rare (like MESE or Nyan Cat) with a reference to him. Obviously it must be an item that makes sense in the game, and doesn't break the fourth wall into real life issues... just an indirect reference would be fine.

One possible example that popped to mind: In very rare cases, Nyan Cat blocks that spawn in the sky could have angel wings, as a reference to his nickname. If the player gets them, they could gain the ability to fly! Dunno... just thought it would be nice if someone did something like this for core MTG.

I support this proposition all the way. Upon hearing of RealBadAngel's passing away, a massive hole was sliced into my heart. He was a good man who really did care about Minetest, as his contributions proved. Heck, I even spoke with him a few times in irc.

StepDevelop

GitHub: StepDevelop

by StepDevelop » Fri May 13, 2016 01:40

I'm so sorry :( Goodbye RealBadAngel -_- R.I.P.

naltamur

GitHub: naltamur
IRC: naltamur

by naltamur » Sat May 14, 2016 13:54

Goodbye RealBadAngel ! You are in my heart!

redblade7

IRC: redblade7 redblade bleakfire
In-game: redblade7

by redblade7 » Mon May 16, 2016 21:17

Very sad to hear this. I remember when I had my Terrarium server (the buggy one that was shut down last winter and replaced with Creative Gardens), there was an issue where approaching this one area would crash the server. One night, RealBadAngel and others helped me regenerate the problem area on IRC. One of the buggy mods was experimental mapgen, which would automatically generate villages. So I gave the nearby village "Tristram" a hellish look and named the streets after all the people who helped me on IRC that night, RealBadAngel being one of them. While the Terrarium is long gone, I will be sure to add his name to The Crypt on Creative Gardens.
-redblade7
Admin of:

* THE CREATIVE GARDENS (Creative Mode server)
* THE VALLEYS (Sandbox Server)
* THE DIGITAL FARMS (Pizza-like server with protection and emphasis on farming)

PreviousNext

Return to Minetest General