unkown objects

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes

unkown objects

by TumeniNodes » Mon Apr 25, 2016 01:44

Is there a way to have unknown objects simply show up as (or turn into) air?
For ex: if I decide I want to turn off some mods in a world..., my map is flooded with unknown objects, and it would be nice to have them simply not show at all, because they simply turn into "air" when said mod is deactivated... and then simply there and visible if I reactivate the mod.
I can't stand all the "unkown" blocks all over the place >:(
Flick?... Flick who?

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Re: unkown objects

by azekill_DIABLO » Mon Apr 25, 2016 07:55

there is a clean mo to remove them :)

but imagine your unkow block turn into air and you place a block right there and then you reactive the mod??
crash
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
Hi, my username is azekill_DIABLO and i'm an exelent bug-maker(yeah...i know...i have a bad reputation)

azekill_DIABLO said: Mineyoshi+ABJ+Baggins= TOPIC HIJACKED.
My Mods and Stuff | Voxellar | VoxBox on GITHUB | M.I.L.A Monster engine
WEIRD MODDING CONTEST !!!

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:42

Something like: /clear_objects
I forget the exact command, could also be /clearobjects

or something. Will remove all entities, including dropped items.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Mon Apr 25, 2016 20:00

Thank you both for the response.
Hmmm, I think I'm just gonna change out the unkown object block with something which blends a bit more... say like a rock?
That way, when I have a mod deactivated, say like flowers mod, I see rocks rather than this very odd looking out of place item... And then, it will not be an issue either way :)
Kinda wish that were the case by default
Flick?... Flick who?

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Mon Apr 25, 2016 20:03

rubenwardy wrote:Something like: /clear_objects
I forget the exact command, could also be /clearobjects

or something. Will remove all entities, including dropped items.

this would only clear things such as plants, etc. correct? (and drop items as you said)..., not wipe out the terrain and a building, right?
and I apologize, it is the "unkown node" texture... so yeah...
Flick?... Flick who?

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:33

/clearobjects removes entities such as dropped items. I don't think it removes unknown nodes.

A solution would be to create aliases for the nodes.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:57

Don wrote:/clearobjects removes entities such as dropped items. I don't think it removes unknown nodes.

A solution would be to create aliases for the nodes.

Agreed. My solution was to swap the texture out. I did the same for the other "unknowns" as well. This way they are still there, yet they are not so much an eyesore or distraction.
I have a really nice map with a bunch of buildings I built. A while back I added some mods, and the map was quickly overtaken by poison ivy, and sunflowers.
At the time I had not read into changing their spawn rate / saturation, etc. so I literally just deleted the poison ivy folder and got stuck with these irritating "unknowns" all over the place... extremely annoying and frustrating to have to waste a lot of time going around removing them (not to mention the default setting it takes to remove them) those should be set to the easiest level, and gone in one punch)
After some time going around to do this, gets annoying and while removing them often other nodes get hit / removed in the process, now those have to be replaced, etc..
I realize this all seems a very trivial matter but, I cannot imagine I am the very first to ever be annoyed with it?
I honestly feel it is something which could be reviewed at a later date, with new users in mind. Sometimes trivial, easily remedied situations such as this are enough to push a new user away from frustration.
ok..., I'm done whining now... besides, I need to go look for my binky... :P
Flick?... Flick who?

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Tue Apr 26, 2016 13:12

I totally understand your concern. I would also like to see a better way of dealing with unknown nodes and objects.
I will have to put some thought into it and see if I can come up with a solution. Don't expect anything. I am just thinking out loud.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

oleastre

GitHub: oleastre
In-game: oleastre

by oleastre » Tue Apr 26, 2016 19:38

If you know the old node name, adding an lbm to convert it to a new one should be quite easy.
Otherwise using a VoxelManip in a variation of this mod:
https://github.com/indriApollo/remove_unknown

Return to Minetest General