Poll: Re-add singlenode mapgen to world generation screen?

Should the singlenode map generator be re-added to the world generator screen?

Yes.
68%
No.
16%
I don't care or I don't know.
16%

Total votes : 25

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Poll: Re-add singlenode mapgen to world generation screen?

by Wuzzy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 14:17

Hi!
In Minetest 0.4.14, the singlenode map generator was removed from the world generation screen. The map generator is still there, but it can't be selected this way. You can only enable it indirectly by using advanced settings or with a mod or by some other way I am not aware of.

I wonder whether you think singlenode should be added back to the world generation screen.

For your information: The “singlenode” map generator is a simple map generator which creates (by default) a world only made out of air. Here's a screenshot.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

Re: Poll: Re-add singlenode mapgen to world generation scree

by Calinou » Tue Jul 19, 2016 14:32

In my opinion, this is only viable if mapgens get descriptions in the world creation dialog, and the singlenode mapgen creates a small (eg. 7x7) plane made of a solid node (such as wood) upon which the player can build on when used with minetest_game.

Voting yes, but please keep this in mind.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Tue Jul 19, 2016 16:01

For me, the singlenode mapgen is more a useful tool than a style of gameplay. I use the singlenode mapgen to clean-up my WorldEdit schems before settling them into my long-term singleplayer world and to develop build studies without the unwanted and not unneeded clutter of clouds, land, trees, water, et al. Singlenode mapgen makes storing builds for WorldEdit much more convenient. Singlenode mapgen also creates a much smaller file size because it isn't creating anything.

Singlenode was hidden because a dev felt it confused newbies, however the result has confused the experienced Minetesters who try to get Singlenode back. I agree with Calinou's suggestion of having a small platform being the only thing generated in Singlenode as a compromise between the confused newbies and confused experienced Minetesters.
.: Minetest 0.4.14 ~ Linux Mint ~ A moka pot, a French press, a dirty coffee cup, and a spoiled-rotten kitty :.
Visit our Minetest server at: LinuxGaming2.com, port 30000
Screenshots, overview maps, and server info at: http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5684
My blog: http://lazyjminetest.blogspot.com/

twoelk

by twoelk » Tue Jul 19, 2016 16:02

I do miss the easy way to select singlenode.

singlenode is extremely usefull when importing maps or opening maps saved with the "save to local" function, so that the mapgen doesn't destroy the allready existing map with new terrain.

wait, I take that back ... singlenode is essential for these things.

maybe a warning could be placed somewhere if singlenode is selected or an "origin-block" is offered or the "fly" privileg could be assigned automatically on first creation.

some time ago with singlenode chosen I let myself fall untill I caught the tail of a cat after falling for almost 700m
Attachments
screenshot_25702575.png
screenshot_25702575.png (60.83 KiB) Viewed 1308 times

blert2112

GitHub: blert2112

by blert2112 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 23:05

If it does get added back in, and it is chosen in the menu, a simple messagebox could be displayed explaining what the mapgen is and explaining that it is probably not what you are looking for. Although, folks will then be irritated by having to close the messagebox.
A simpler option might be to just continue to leave it out and create yourself a simple mod that overrides the mapgen and loads a singlenode world. Activate the mod when you need it:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
minetest.set_mapgen_params({mgname = "singlenode"})

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Wed Jul 20, 2016 00:38

I'm fairly neutral about this, and suggested re-adding it to the menu, but hmmmm is strongly opposed, so it probably won't happen.
Indeed the thing to do is use a simple mod to activate it.

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:55

Now for my opinion:
IMO it was a very dumb idea to remove it from the world generation menu:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14839
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14790 (Asks how to create an empty world because singlenode was hidden)

In other words, it is now a pain in the ass to create an empty world. The goal was to make Minetest easier, but the opposite has happened! I dislike the principle of requiring for using mods even for core features. What will be “outsourced” to mods next? Rendering? xD

May I propose a compromise solution?
Re-add the singlenode mapgen, but improve the world generation screen by adding a small description and/or example screenshot box for the currently selected mapgen.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:28

You could add mapgens derived from it, such as platform (limited) or plane (infinite)

solars

by solars » Sun Jul 24, 2016 13:30

I think, there should be a singlenode with only 1 dirt-node! Without Nyancats and Shadows!
Dinnae bother wi mah poor english, but hae a keek at th' pics 'o mah pure dead brilliant map Karsthafen:
English thread: [Map] Karsthafen
German thread: [Map] Karsthafen - Diskussionsthread

everamzah

GitHub: everamzah
IRC: everamzah
In-game: everamzah

by everamzah » Sun Jul 24, 2016 19:06

singlenode mapgen is for mods to take advantage of, so leave it to mods, I say. You need to add a mod (worldedit, for example) to get started with singlenode anyway. Singlenode isn't broken, it doesn't need to add a starting node, that's what `origin' is for, or worldedit, or some other mechanism.

Adding options to it, akin to rubenwardy's suggestion, may make it a viable starting point for players. Otherwise, it's just a confusing thing to fall and wonder, "where's the single node?" not realizing this means 'air', or whatever.

Return to Minetest General