Google knowledge panel

Nathan.S

GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

Google knowledge panel

by Nathan.S » Fri Jul 22, 2016 02:19

If you've ever done a Google search for a game, business, movie, album, etc you've probably seen the Google Knowledge Panel showing on the right hand side of the search results. I was looking at something completely unrelated, actually looking for information about youtube gaming and how they get the information for the games, and realized that Minetest doesn't have a knowledge panel. After some quick research it looks like it could be created with a bit of information being added to the minetest website. Obviously I can't do this, as I can't go around editing information on websites other than my own.

It looks like there wouldn't need to be that huge of an amount of work put into this, I found this in a quick search https://gofishdigital.com/create-google-knowledge-panel/ of course this wouldn't guarantee anything, but would be a good start anyway. I'm not sure if Minetest already has a wikipedia page, but it seems as if that is taken into account by Google. I'll take a look into that, and see about getting it created or improved.

I think it would be a big help to Minetest in general if when people searched for it, they saw a knowledge panel right away, gives us a little more credibility

I have no idea where the sample images come from, if that is drawn from the related website, or wikipedia/media or other image sharing sites, but I imagine there are probably enough pictures out there that are already tagged with Minetest that Google should be able to find things easily enough.

Whomever the web maintainer is would need to do the brunt of the changes on the minetest site, but I wanted to put this out on the forums to see what people thought about it.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website.

MineYoshi

GitHub: MineYosh
IRC: MineYoshi
In-game: Kirby_Retro

Re: Google knowledge panel

by MineYoshi » Fri Jul 22, 2016 22:52

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minetest

Sorry , but there isn't an English wikipedia article!
People talk about freedom of speech, so i'll say that God exists.
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt
I'm the Officially 1st ABJist in the world ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nathan.S

GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Sat Jul 23, 2016 00:20

I know some Spanish, I can do a little translating, and write stuff that is completely new. Just need to create an account and get some free time.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Sat Jul 23, 2016 20:03

In spanish there is a "Knowledge panel" about Minetest too...
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 04:31

Unfortunately, Minetest did have a Wikipedia page some time ago. But some crapheads decided that it wasn't original enough and that they didn't need to have a page for "every Minecraft clone".

They also proceeded to accuse the MT devs of having single use accounts, which is the most bull crap reasoning I've ever heard.

In short, I read the discussion history whilst it was still up, and this is all that's left:

This page is protected from creation, so only administrators can create it.

No information, no "Hey, that was a load of crap, can we have a say in this?" Nothing, absolutely nothing.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Mon Jul 25, 2016 19:49

srifqi

GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Wed Jul 27, 2016 13:19

Indeed, Google only looks from well-known site (such as Wikipedia and other site which provides information about the subject).
Actually in Google Search Indonesia, Minetest in search result (not in knowledge panel) is more structured than MInecraft. But as Nathan has said, Minetest lacks in knowledge panel.
+ Spoiler

MineYoshi wrote:https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minetest

Sorry , but there isn't an English wikipedia article!

But, we have Deutsch and Indonesian which have long enough article and good enough sources.

benrob0329 wrote:... They also proceeded to accuse the MT devs of having single use accounts, which is the most bull crap reasoning I've ever heard. ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... f_interest
I'm from Indonesia! Saya dari Indonesia!
Terjemahkan Minetest!
Mods by me. Modifikasi oleh saya.

Pronounce my nick as in: es-rifqi (IPA: /es rifˈki/)

benrob0329

by benrob0329 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 15:34

I get their point, but what if the (objectively) best written article on Wikipedia was written by someone with a COI? Should his/her page be taken down because s/he happen to be involved? What if that very thing is what gave him/her the insight to write the article in the first place?

Wikipedia is great, but I don't think they've thought of all circumstances for their rules.

Worldblender

In-game: Worldblender

by Worldblender » Wed Jul 27, 2016 15:36

I mentioned this problem at least once before, and nothing changed so significantly yet?

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Thu Jul 28, 2016 00:37

It was taken down due to lack of citations. Wikipedia is a web encyclopedia, everything on there should have citations. If it doesn't have citations, then it's not considered notable.

Hopefully now that people have been using Minetest for educational use, there will be quite a few sources available.

Worldblender

In-game: Worldblender

by Worldblender » Thu Jul 28, 2016 01:14

I wish I could help out on Wikipedia more often, but I can't because, if I were doing significant changes or writing new articles, I may end up being lazy to cite my sources (or other articles with uncited text), unless I referenced one already.

octacian

GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

by octacian » Thu Jul 28, 2016 17:35

I'll take a look at this, but when I get back home I'd be more than willing to work on a page for Wikipedia or fork the website to make the needed changes.
God isn't dead!

My Coolest Mods:
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, Interchangeable Hands

Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)

lisacvuk

GitHub: lisacvuk
IRC: lisac
In-game: lisacvuk

by lisacvuk » Thu Jul 28, 2016 23:18

We need bigger media coverage. That way, we've got enough references for a new Wikipedia page, and therefore a Google knowledge panel. So, how do we attract media attention?
400 character limit? Am I writing a book?
I'm a Minetest player, 'learning' C++ and OpenGL, listening to Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Amon Amarth. Administrator on Craig's server. Likes cookies.
I live in Serbia.

benrob0329

by benrob0329 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 14:07

Is there a blog website or something that takes requests?

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 14:12

Blogs don't count as citations. It needs to be news article, a research paper, or a game review from a bit reviewer like IGN

lisacvuk

GitHub: lisacvuk
IRC: lisac
In-game: lisacvuk

by lisacvuk » Fri Jul 29, 2016 14:29

rubenwardy wrote:Blogs don't count as citations. It needs to be

news article,

Pretty easy to achieve, as news write for traffic.
a research paper,

This is even easier, write a paper comparing Minecraft and Minetest performance for example.
or a game review from a bit reviewer like IGN

This is hard; especialy from IGN. Would require at least an existing news article.
400 character limit? Am I writing a book?
I'm a Minetest player, 'learning' C++ and OpenGL, listening to Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Amon Amarth. Administrator on Craig's server. Likes cookies.
I live in Serbia.

octacian

by octacian » Fri Jul 29, 2016 15:54

Well, we have to start somewhere. If we need to get a news article and research paper written, that should be easy enough. I'll try and give it a go too when I get a chance.

I honestly don't think Minetest is ready for a review from anobody like IGN. I think there are still a few things that need to be worked out in the engine, such as player animations, animated blocks, and directional lighting. Once those have been done (and the first should be easy), I think Minetest would be more ready for such a review.

When writting other papers, the authors might want to take into consideration the things I mentioned in the above paragraph too.

Remember, there can never be "too many" news paper articles or research papers written.
God isn't dead!

My Coolest Mods:

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 16:34

lisacvuk wrote:
news article,

Pretty easy to achieve, as news write for traffic.

Let's do it then

lisacvuk wrote:
a research paper,

This is even easier, write a paper comparing Minecraft and Minetest performance for example.

A published and reputable research paper

octacian

by octacian » Fri Jul 29, 2016 20:38

rubenwardy wrote:A published and reputable research paper

Could that not be a paper written by one of us and even published in a blog? I'm getting the idea that you mean something with more authority, but is that really needed? As such resources grow, the first would become more reputable anyway.
God isn't dead!

My Coolest Mods:

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 23:55

Published in this sense does not mean made available. It means published in a paper review magazine/journal.

It's the reputation of the publisher that matters, not the medium

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Notability

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped ... ng_sources

As a general rule, none of us can create citations, only send letters to news sites asking for them to be made

Return to Minetest General