How to make underwater less dark?

Kevin Tee

How to make underwater less dark?

by Kevin Tee » Sat Aug 06, 2016 20:24

I want to explore the ocean, but the sea floor is too dark without torch. I want to reduce the ocean darkness, how do I do it? Thanks.

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

Re: How to make underwater less dark?

by Calinou » Sat Aug 06, 2016 23:10

Try adding display_gamma = 1.0 to your minetest.conf (or use the Advanced Settings menu present in Minetest 0.4.14 and later). Lower values make darker areas brighter (the minimum is 1.0).

Kevin Tee

by Kevin Tee » Sun Aug 07, 2016 07:28

Calinou wrote:Try adding display_gamma = 1.0 to your minetest.conf (or use the Advanced Settings menu present in Minetest 0.4.14 and later). Lower values make darker areas brighter (the minimum is 1.0).

I change gamma to 1 but it is still too dark for me, any other way?

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Sun Aug 07, 2016 08:44

Kevin Tee wrote:I change gamma to 1 but it is still too dark for me, any other way?

There's another way by modifying the shaders:
Add the following code to minetest/client/shaders/nodes_shader/opengl_fragment.glsl:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
col *= 1.5;

Higher values make it brighter, lower -> darker. This only requires to enable "Shader" but not any of the shader elements.

If your graphics card does not support OpenGL shaders, then edit the source code. For this case, re-compile Minetest after changing this line to
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
gamma = rangelim(gamma, 0.25, 3.0);
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Mon Aug 08, 2016 03:08

By default light level reduces by 1 per node underwater, so 16 nodes down it will be at minimum brightness and the water post effect colour will overpower anything you can see. You could make water clearer by altering the 'post effect colour' in the node definition.
The only way to make underwater bright is to make water propagate sunlight. add to the node definitions:

sunlight_propagates = true,

This works and is rather pleasant.

Kevin Tee

by Kevin Tee » Tue Aug 09, 2016 15:33

paramat wrote:By default light level reduces by 1 per node underwater, so 16 nodes down it will be at minimum brightness and the water post effect colour will overpower anything you can see. You could make water clearer by altering the 'post effect colour' in the node definition.
The only way to make underwater bright is to make water propagate sunlight. add to the node definitions:

sunlight_propagates = true,

This works and is rather pleasant.

Thanks for reply, where exactly do I add the code?

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Wed Aug 10, 2016 09:59

Add that line to the node definitions for 'water source' and 'water flowing' found in:
games/minetest_game/mods/default/nodes.lua

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sat Aug 13, 2016 03:57

You might also want to add the sea modpack. It comes with luminiscent flowers, shipwrecks, clams and the like and makes the sea bed far more intresting (and bright!) to look at. Also some mobs mod (underwater mobs) are great. There are a lot of fishes and some tiny, beautifuly jellyfish out there - provided you add the right mods :-)
A list of my mods can be found here.

Return to Minetest General