Need to improve mapgen performance

Milan*

GitHub: tchncs
IRC: Passant
In-game: Milan Passant

Need to improve mapgen performance

by Milan* » Mon Sep 19, 2016 20:55

Hi there partypeople!

Since my server has much stuff in the biomedecoration, it becomes laggy on mapgeneration.
Well, this is honestly a serious problem when some players love to explore on the same time.

The only thing i found 'til now was
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
num_emerge_threads
which i set to value 4.
I have a bit fear since the comment above the example conf tells about buggy caves when increased.

Maybe someone can explain me this warning a bit. :)

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
# Number of emerge threads to use. Make this field blank, or increase this number
# to use multiple threads. On multiprocessor systems, this will improve mapgen speed greatly
# at the cost of slightly buggy caves.

Is the emerge thread value my only hope?
The machines has actually six cores available so i could increase it for sure.

paramat

GitHub: paramat

Re: Need to improve mapgen performance

by paramat » Tue Sep 20, 2016 02:55

> has much stuff in the biomedecoration

What do you mean by 'laggy'? lua lag?
The biome API should be fairly fast, since that's core code it won't create lua lag. Each mapchunk only takes about 50-100ms to generate in mgv7 and mesh generation is the slowest part.
Are you using any kind of lua mapgen mod or something like 'plantlife' or 'moretrees' mods? Try disabling some mods.

Milan*

by Milan* » Tue Sep 20, 2016 16:34

> lua lag?

I guess so.
'moretrees', 'plantlife', 'darkage' and a slightly extendet version of the 'farming' mod by tenplus1 are active on this server.
Since players know this mods here, i don't think it is a nice solution to just remove them. :/

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Tue Sep 20, 2016 16:43

In the past our server ran moretrees and plantlife. Not sure which cause the most lag, but whenever new map was explored by multiple players (at the same time) it would bring the server to a crawl. I resolved this by using a old "explore" mod I found in the forums. I wish I could think of the name. I would log in as a player during the slow times and run the mod. It would teleport the user in a outward spiral to different locations. This would cause map to generate and all the trees that were in the area. So next time users went to that area it simply loaded pre-generated map from the database. It really made a difference you could feel.
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Kibbie and I have a beautiful public server now! HOMETOWN

Milan*

by Milan* » Tue Sep 20, 2016 17:19

@ExeterDad yes, i know this mod but this isn't needed since minetest has
/emergeblocks
to genereate specific areas.
However this would make a new problem: New mods like sealife would be nearly useless because the players have to travel thousands of miles to find biomes with those stuff.

Milan*

by Milan* » Tue Sep 20, 2016 18:47

Sorry for the double post.
I just noticed the following on my computer:

I don't have many mapgen touching mods enabled there and it uses just one thread for emerging!
7eacdc7 in this case.

Return to Minetest General