How did you discover Minetest?

hmmm

by hmmm » Fri Apr 13, 2012 03:43

Most people find out about Minetest by searching Minecraft clones. I was kind of the opposite. I originally looked up "open source sandbox games" on google. It wasn't until later on I found out about Minecraft.

neo

by neo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 19:08

3 month ago, i don't know any of the 2. A friend at work was playing minecraft , as i'm a freeman and linusian i googled minecraft linux open source clone, i landed on minestest.

mibatt

by mibatt » Sat Jun 30, 2012 17:42

While looking for games that are like Minecraft, on Google.

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 20:00

I downloaded the ''minecraft client'' but it would not let me connect to any servers or do anything at all. This made me exceedingly angry, so I searched for ''free games like minecraft'' on google, found a list somewhere, and found this game in the list - I downloaded it and started a singleplayer map, and I was amazed, even though I only got about 2 FPS at the time (before I updated OpenGL)
Resources are abundant; only money is scarce. People should not have to work hard and remain poor just to pay for the needs of survival.
Society can thrive without money - but only if productive members of society are rewarded for being productive.

Josh

by Josh » Sun Jul 01, 2012 03:16

My minecraft wouldn't work on my pc & i was getting really fed up of searching for free minecraft downloads so i just gave up.
But then i saw a let's play video of minetest i didn't even bother looking at it i was just like a minecraft clone? so i went to the website & downloaded 0.3.1 to start of with i was so excited i really loved it i quickly got hooked! It wasn't till very much later
that i got 0.4! but yeah that's how i discovered minetest!

Clynn

by Clynn » Sun Jul 01, 2012 07:01

I searched, " games like minecraft " found Minetest and i love it

Death Dealer

by Death Dealer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 07:03

Josh wrote:My minecraft wouldn't work on my pc & i was getting really fed up of searching for free minecraft downloads so i just gave up.
But then i saw a let's play video of minetest i didn't even bother looking at it i was just like a minecraft clone? so i went to the website & downloaded 0.3.1 to start of with i was so excited i really loved it i quickly got hooked! It wasn't till very much later
that i got 0.4! but yeah that's how i discovered minetest!

you need downloads send me a email^_^
Keep calm and code python^_^

Josh

by Josh » Mon Jul 02, 2012 03:14

Death Dealer what do you mean about how i need downloads? besides i can't email you i probably wouldn't be aloud to im only 12!
but if your offering me minecraft or something thankyou for the offer im not intrested. I hope you understand
Last edited by Josh on Tue Jul 03, 2012 02:06, edited 1 time in total.

maagi

by maagi » Tue Jul 03, 2012 16:38

I found minetest from Irrlicht open-source games as I'm using Irrlicht as well.

tonyka

by tonyka » Wed Jul 11, 2012 17:51

searching Platinum Arts Sandbox , I came across minetest Delta, then look for alpha and stable versions ... on github
My mod: [MOD]3D Forniture 1.0
Download: 3DForniture_v_1.0.zip
Page development (European Castilian):
Moviliario 3D (proyecto 3D Forniture)

Stef

by Stef » Wed Jul 11, 2012 17:52

i looked in google for free minecraftclones
Sorry for my crappy english, im dutch :D

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 19:51

It seems that a lot of us here have tried playing Minecraft, but found that the client/account all costs too much and it's not worth the money for a game that barely runs on even the mid-high grade PC's. So we tried searching on Google, of course always Google, and found a list somewhere or a youtube video about Minetest.
Right?
Resources are abundant; only money is scarce. People should not have to work hard and remain poor just to pay for the needs of survival.
Society can thrive without money - but only if productive members of society are rewarded for being productive.

Keegan

by Keegan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 21:01

I searched similar games to minecraft and i found this
Owner of Keegan's server address>66.227.221.69:30000<port

RJSlingshot

by RJSlingshot » Wed Jul 18, 2012 23:45

I am a big supporter of open source games and communities. I wanted something for my kids and I to play together that would get their creative juices flowing and hopefully encourage them to think about game development and modding. I will admit that Mine Craft style games were never my thing. However I have to say now that Mine Test is, and it is a great game at that! We now have a 24/7 .3.1 server running ( with a few mods that I test first) in our house and everyone is enjoying the hell out of creating a new world and coming up with new ideas. We leave clues/signs and special buildings for each other each day. My kids are out of school right now and playing while I am at work each day. We all get excited to see if I notice what they built or changed when I get home and check each afternoon. Sometimes I find that those damned Dungeon Masters busted up my stuff, and we gleefully hunt them down like a wolf pack. This is fun. I also like that some of my older piece'o'crap computers can run MT fine. I appreciate that the developers here seem to be considerate of platform requirements. I hope to find time to contribute to some of the development efforts here as well. Well done and thanks!

Previous

Return to Minetest General