[Conversation] how can minetest be improved

toby109tt

GitHub: tobyplowy
In-game: Toby109tt

[Conversation] how can minetest be improved

by toby109tt » Thu Dec 15, 2016 15:58

Keep in mind I cannot program or Do Anything For minetest I'm just curious to hear what you guys think of bace Minetest_game and minetest in general what should be added removed or improved (also I Want To Make a rule you can not say that there is mods for that unless someone asks for mods)

Also no Question\Request is too crazy ask whatever you want have fun!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) i love pixels and voxels ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

GreenDimond

GitHub: GreenXenith
IRC: GreenDimond
In-game: GreenDimond

Re: [Conversation] how can minetest be improved

by GreenDimond » Thu Dec 15, 2016 16:14

-Mesecons by default
-Armor by default
-Torches removed by water
This is only a few things
I am Green. I tend to binge-post. "All of this over a 16x16 representation of a cartoon cat ?!?! what has this world come to..." -TenPlus1, 2017.
Diz mah mods! :D ↑ github.com/minetest/minetest_game/issues/1647#issuecomment-288134572 ↑
Sand Plus - Tac Nayn - Waffles - Coming Soon: Caverealms Plus

toby109tt

by toby109tt » Thu Dec 15, 2016 16:38

GreenDimond wrote:-Mesecons by default
-Armor by default

-Mesecons by default (that may be hard to program but yes I agree)
-Armor by default (no Question About It definitely yes!)
-Torches removed by water (XD yes I think thats easy to fix so it Should really be fixed)
This is only a few things (Keep the ideas\suggestions Coming!)

garywhite

GitHub: garywhite207
IRC: same as MT name
In-game: garywhite garywhite1

by garywhite » Thu Dec 15, 2016 17:59

toby109tt wrote:
GreenDimond wrote:-Mesecons by default
-Armor by default

-Mesecons by default (that may be hard to program but yes I agree)
-Armor by default (no Question About It definitely yes!)
-Torches removed by water (XD yes I think thats easy to fix so it Should really be fixed)
This is only a few things (Keep the ideas\suggestions Coming!)

1. Mesecons by default would cause a lot more lag & memory usage
2. Armor by default could possibly be done, but that would have to be discussed with the mod developer
3. Torches removed by water could be done, but idk if the devs would want to do that

mootpoint

GitHub: Mootpoint
In-game: mootpoint

by mootpoint » Thu Dec 15, 2016 18:13

mesecons by default: i agree especially on servers trying to keep it mobile friendly

torches removed by water, : logically it would just 'exstinguish' the torch maybe drop a stick, but that would waste coal,

so what just drop the torch if hit by water? -- alot of us cleared water with torches because they are easy to break and you can pretty much see around them. we dont do this much anymore because we got the scaffolding mod, but alot of servers dont run that.
"Think of the solution, not the problem." - Richard Rahl

mootpoint

by mootpoint » Thu Dec 15, 2016 18:16

as far as suggestions: i think we should make a minetest_game_2 that can run with all the regular mods as well as say, homedecor and mesecons and others that alot of servers run, that way mobile devices still have the 'vanilla' minetest_game', but we can have a better game for servers that can run it.

MineYoshi

GitHub: MineYosh
IRC: MineYoshi
In-game: Kirby_Retro

by MineYoshi » Thu Dec 15, 2016 19:13

By now, is meant that Minetest in an engine. And Minetest_Game is justly a little showcase, i don't know why to expand it? Also those mods still give lag. For me include a subgame that be faster, good and that be chosen by the community.
People talk about freedom of speech, so i'll say that God exists.
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt
I'm the Officially 1st ABJist in the world ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

D00Med

GitHub: D00Med

by D00Med » Thu Dec 15, 2016 19:54

My suggestions:
>Mobs, or at least a mob framework.
>hunger, with an option to disable it
>more crops
>My 'crazy' idea; it would be great if minetest had a better lighting system, with colors and light that could stretch across nodes in differrent shapes, or only light up part of a node(what I'm saying here is lighting that isn't so closely linked to nodes).
Look! I have a signature :]
My subgame: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14051#p207242
dmobs2 is coming...

mootpoint

by mootpoint » Thu Dec 15, 2016 20:32

D00Med wrote:>My 'crazy' idea; it would be great if minetest had a better lighting system, with colors and light that could stretch across nodes in differrent shapes, or only light up part of a node(what I'm saying here is lighting that isn't so closely linked to nodes).

+1 this would be great for things that have an indicator light, pipeworks, and also for slot of Christmas mods, my wreaths and Christmas trees etc.

toby109tt

by toby109tt » Thu Dec 15, 2016 20:56

D00Med wrote:My suggestions:
>more crops
>My 'crazy' idea; it would be great if minetest had a better lighting system, with colors and light that could stretch across nodes in differrent shapes, or only light up part of a node(what I'm saying here is lighting that isn't so closely linked to nodes).
I love your idea colored lighting is amazing!

toby109tt

by toby109tt » Thu Dec 15, 2016 20:57

D00Med wrote:My suggestions:
>more crops

Also I really agree with the mobs or mob framework

toby109tt

by toby109tt » Thu Dec 15, 2016 20:59

MineYoshi wrote:By now, is meant that Minetest in an engine. And Minetest_Game is justly a little showcase, i don't know why to expand it? Also those mods still give lag. For me include a subgame that be faster, good and that be chosen by the community.
I know it's supposed to be a showcase but I don't feel it's really getting to its Max potential and if it is it's quite sad because that would mean the engine is Pretty much useless!

D00Med

by D00Med » Thu Dec 15, 2016 21:02

toby109tt wrote:
MineYoshi wrote:By now, is meant that Minetest in an engine. And Minetest_Game is justly a little showcase, i don't know why to expand it? Also those mods still give lag. For me include a subgame that be faster, good and that be chosen by the community.
I know it's supposed to be a showcase but I don't feel it's really getting to its Max potential and if it is it's quite sad because that would mean the engine is Pretty much useless!

If minetest_game was a bit better then maybe more people would want to work on the engine
dmobs2 is coming...

mootpoint

by mootpoint » Thu Dec 15, 2016 21:14

What if we took a vote to make a new bundle, call it showcase or similar, then have one of the moderators here put a sticky thread, and let everyone suggest mod and then vote?

GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Fri Dec 16, 2016 06:12

As I said earlier, that was only a few things. Here are a lot more:
-Water should flow faster and the waving should be more realistic
-TNT be propel-able (idk if thats a word) - as in one block explodes, others go flying and explode, etc...
-Background music - I cant stand silence. Even a barely noticeable tune would be great
-Dimensions? Dunno about this one.
-Skin changing
-More biomes! (Yeah ik there is gonna be new ones in 0.4.15 (silver sand, glacier (by default), umm...?)) I WANT MORE!!! D:
-Carts with chests and furnaces (-!-SPOILER-!- there are carts in 0.4.15)
-^That being said - carts that push each other and can be pushed. currently they just stack inside each other. and sound like a train if you have 100 of them in a 2x2 circle track. meh.
-Walkable lily pads. Seriously. I just ghost right through them.
-Throwable snowballs. MUST MUST MUST!!! No damage necessarily, but maybe some knock back?
-TNT knock back. Player isnt affected by TNT (movement wise).
-Mushroom stew? I mean hey, we have mushrooms :P
-Did I mention more biomes?
-Defriend the cacti. It likes us too much. It needs to hurt us. its a CACTUS.
-Change the circle texture on the jungle tree back to square. Idk why but it just bugs me. Why not leave it square? What did the square ever do to you?! And why just the jungle tree?!? Heck, while you're at it, go and change everything else to circles too!!!!!! #rage
-M̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶s̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶t̶t̶r̶a̶c̶t̶i̶v̶e̶.̶ Oh wait, that's already gonna happen :D.
-M̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶r̶c̶h̶e̶s̶ ̶3̶D̶.̶ Oh wait, that's already gonna happen too :D.
-Can we get a door for every wood? There is a lack of wooden doors. Cudos to Mojang for thinking of that :P
-MUST: Obsidian glass pane. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the xpanes obsidian glass pane for modern houses. And default game even HAS obsidian GLASS. But no pane? NORMAL glass has a pane. Even IRON has a "pane". And it's not even GLASS. Meh. what a pane in the neck. *ba dum tssss*
-Either remove river water, or give it a use. Its just taking up space in my creative inventory.
-Make ice slide-able. ice no slippery??? WAT???
-Nyan Cat isn't copyrighted is it? If it is, forget this suggestion: Make the nyan cat face, A NYAN CAT, not some cheap knock-off of is 2nd cousin.
-Give vessels a use. You added a vessel shelf. Oh boy. WHO CARES??? We cant even USE the darn vessels in the first place!!! WHY cant they be filled. it says "empty" in their dang description!!! Does that not imply that it should be filled?!?!
-Sandstone wall? Obsidian wall? idk :P
-How about an apple-on-a-stick. just for the heck of it.
-Oh or even better. Add pineapples. And pens.
-And maybe a way to combine the 3?
-Oh and dont forget to change the default skin to a strange guy in funny yellow clothes with a mustache.
*cof *cof (^sorry just had to do that xD)

-Clock?
-Add different brick blocks? The current one is lonely, bland, and is very....unattractive. Multi-colored bricks look nicer. Maybe use dyes?
-DUNGEON LOOT!!! <----Really want that one. Whats the point of dungeons? We need loot!!! Oh and maybe traps? Cuz' mobs aint gonna be here for a while...
-Smaller caves? The ones now are a bit big for my liking (personal pref).
-Prettier sunsets. When I first played minetest, I was using 0.4.7 (or maybe it was 6....). Anyone remember those sunsets? Absolutely beautiful. The pink band on the horizon, the lighter shades of blue, oh it was amazing. Bring em' back!!
-How about a textured moon... the one now is just..... a white square. Just.....white. NO. TEXTURE. AT. ALL. (ok there is a slightly darker outline. pish posh.)
-Shadows relevant to sun. <--- Probably impossible with the current engine.
Ok. Well that's all for now. I will post more if I think of anything!
I am Green. I tend to binge-post. "All of this over a 16x16 representation of a cartoon cat ?!?! what has this world come to..." -TenPlus1, 2017.
Diz mah mods! :D ↑ github.com/minetest/minetest_game/issues/1647#issuecomment-288134572 ↑

D00Med

by D00Med » Fri Dec 16, 2016 06:24

nice suggestions, but I think tnt already causes knock-back, and also you can walk on lily pads by holding shift
dmobs2 is coming...

GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Fri Dec 16, 2016 06:29

D00Med wrote:nice suggestions, but I think tnt already causes knock-back, and also you can walk on lily pads by holding shift

Tried lily pads. Did not work.
Tried TNT. It has a 1.5m knock back. Wimpy. But knockback none the less. But still doesn't make other TNT fly :P

toby109tt

by toby109tt » Fri Dec 16, 2016 13:19

D00Med wrote:nice suggestions, but I think tnt already causes knock-back, and also you can walk on lily pads by holding shift

We Can Make a second subgame XD

Spaghetti Developer

GitHub: SpaghettiDeveloper
In-game: Spaghetti Developer

by Spaghetti Developer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 20:01

In my opinion, you have already done a great job for the future Minetest 0.4.15! add the following things, completeness and usefulness of play:

- New doors (acacia, pine, Jungletree)

- The connected glasses? have posted the code to create them (easy) rather than select them in the main menu, it is best to include them as a separate block!

- New simple decorative blocks for building, rune, engraved stones, new wood (texture jungletree updated without the Round Top?)

- Corner Stairs!

- Running mode as of Minecraft, with speed effect of the first-person view.

- Jumping automatically blocks, it is very useful on mobile devices, but also desktop PC!

- Add new mineral resources (lapis, mitrill, and more).

- Add the hotbar hunger!

- Create and improve the management of the nodes, walls, textures and connecting blocks.

- See the items and tools equipped in the third-person view, Movement head, arms, the players like Minecraft!

- Incremental search in the Inventory! As Minecraft, when you press the keys, the search is done in real time without pressing the "?" Button, it is very convenient!

- The screwdriver is the most beautiful and useful tool Minetest! always improve it to make it faster and easier!

- Chat singleplayer and multiplayer with colored text, change the font! not read a lot! maybe enter a transparent background for the output of the chat (such as inventory).

- I beg you! Add another farming (crops), there are a few seeds in the game, the farming is an important feature for the gameplay!

- DO NOT PUT BLOCKS ROUND, HEXAGON, AND OBJECTS STRANGE! nothing that changes the style of classic Minetest! always keep this style (all square, and cube, so it's nice even after 100,000 years).

- Update NodeBox Editor! it's a masterpiece! But it has the bug of multi textures :(
Thank you, now if you call the police, I've done that all future requests for Minetest! Thank you all!

Special thanks to Toby, Rubenward, Paramat, Wuzzy, sfan, and all members of this wonderful team!
Last edited by Spaghetti Developer on Fri Dec 16, 2016 20:30, edited 2 times in total.

D00Med

by D00Med » Fri Dec 16, 2016 20:24

toby109tt wrote:

We Can Make a second subgame XD

Don't scare me, one is quite enough work xD
dmobs2 is coming...

GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Fri Dec 16, 2016 20:58

quote = Spaghetti Developer: In my opinion, you have already done a great job for the future Minetest 0.4.15! add the following things, completeness and usefulness of play:

- New doors (acacia, pine, Jungletree) <---As I said :)

- New simple decorative blocks for building, rune, engraved stones, new wood (texture jungletree updated without the Round Top?) <----ooohhh nice!

- Corner Stairs! <----MUST MUST MUST

- Running mode as of Minecraft, with speed effect of the first-person view. <----we technically do already....

- Add new mineral resources (lapis, mitrill, and more). <----maybe.....

- Add the hotbar hunger! <------ Yes, but must be able to disable it (as D00MED said)

- Create and improve the management of the nodes, walls, textures and connecting blocks. <----hm...yeah

- See the items and tools equipped in the third-person view, Movement head, arms, the players like Minecraft! <---- would be nice!

- Incremental search in the Inventory! As Minecraft, when you press the keys, the search is done in real time without pressing the "?" Button, it is very convenient! <----- in 0.4.15 you can use 'enter' key to search. Pressing keys already types into search bar.

- The screwdriver is the most beautiful and useful tool Minetest! always improve it to make it faster and easier! <--- sure? i dont use it that much.

- Chat singleplayer and multiplayer with colored text, change the font! not read a lot! maybe enter a transparent background for the output of the chat (such as inventory). <------ wow. just wow. THERE IS CHAT. AND IT IS COLORED.

- I beg you! Add another farming (crops), there are a few seeds in the game, the farming is an important feature for the gameplay! <------- indeed!

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 21:05

-TNT be propel-able (idk if thats a word) - as in one block explodes, others go flying and explode, etc...

This is already implemented in Minetest Game 0.4.14. But it only works for falling blocks such as sand or gravel. Other blocks just drop as an item or get destroyed completely. I think this behaviour is intended and will not change.

We already have those, they are called X, Y and Z. :P

(I know exactly what you mean, but I hate that stupid Minecraft slang. We should come up with a better word, like “parallel worlds”)
Also, it was suggested before. I like the idea.

-MUST: Obsidian glass pane. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the xpanes obsidian glass pane for modern houses. And default game even HAS obsidian GLASS. But no pane? NORMAL glass has a pane. Even IRON has a "pane". And it's not even GLASS. Meh. what a pane in the neck. *ba dum tssss*

Yeah, this seems to be a glaring omission in Minetest Game. And I would be happy to remove the obsidian glass panes from mtg_plus.

-Either remove river water, or give it a use. Its just taking up space in my creative inventory.

No, deal with it. :P River water has a lower flowing range and is not renewable, so it is quite different. The low flowing range makes it good to make rivers in the valleys mapgen, the normal water would probably be very awful, as the water would spill all over.

Also, stop the hate! xD River water has many uses: It cools lava and turns it into obsidian. And you can make waterfalls to swim upwards. You can put a boat on it to float over it. You can extinguish fire.

YES!
Freeminer already has this feature, it's a shame it is not in Minetest.

There is an open PR: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/4182
(And it is not finished, shame on me! Shame on Minetest! Shame on the Universe! Shame on the Flying Spaghetti Monster who created the Universe! ;-) )

-Nyan Cat isn't copyrighted is it? If it is, forget this suggestion: Make the nyan cat face, A NYAN CAT, not some cheap knock-off of is 2nd cousin.

Almost everything is copyrighted (it's a sick sad world), the real question is usually whether the copyright holder is authoritaritan and uses the powers granted by copyright. For Nyan Cat, we are lucky that the creator is, in fact, not arrogant about it and de facto everyone is free to use it. But I like the nyan cat texture, why all the hate? :-(
Also: Texture packs.

-Change the circle texture on the jungle tree back to square. Idk why but it just bugs me. Why not leave it square? What did the square ever do to you?! And why just the jungle tree?!? Heck, while you're at it, go and change everything else to circles too!!!!!! #rage

Texture packs.

-Give vessels a use. You added a vessel shelf. Oh boy. WHO CARES??? We cant even USE the darn vessels in the first place!!! WHY cant they be filled. it says "empty" in their dang description!!! Does that not imply that it should be filled?!?!

Let the anger flow through your veins. XD
You forgot to suggest an actual use. :P

Too ugly, no. I think walls are for everything cobblestone. I tried sandstone, but I didn't like it.

You can put items into carts. Just drop them on the cart, then punch it. As far I know, there is no limit on the number of items or item stacks a cart can store.

Also, there is no Minetest 0.4.15 (yet) (Seriously, stop calling it 0.4.15 before it is actually released. It's fucking confusing).

First MT needs a well-implemented knockback system in the first place. This will improve Minetest and potentionally many mods and subgames a lot.

- Chat singleplayer and multiplayer with colored text, change the font! not read a lot! maybe enter a transparent background for the output of the chat (such as inventory).

Will be in the next version of Minetest.

- DO NOT PUT BLOCKS ROUND, HEXAGON, AND OBJECTS STRANGE! nothing that changes the style of classic Minetest! always keep this style (all square, and cube, so it's nice even after 100,000 years).

Agreed. I don't thing heretic shapes like ... I don't even want to spell it out … will ever make it into Minetest Game.

- Update NodeBox Editor! it's a masterpiece! But it has the bug of multi textures :(

I think you're off-topic here.

- Create and improve the management of the nodes, walls, textures and connecting blocks.

- The screwdriver is the most beautiful and useful tool Minetest! always improve it to make it faster and easier!

How?

- Jumping automatically blocks, it is very useful on mobile devices, but also desktop PC!

Good suggestion! You should post an issue on GitHub (if you haven't already).

- The connected glasses? have posted the code to create them (easy) rather than select them in the main menu, it is best to include them as a separate block!

I am not sure about that.

OK I am bored by these suggestions now.

Sorry for sounding arrogant. Actually, I'm not really against most of these suggestions. And I think they would actually improve Minetest Game. But frankly, I fear not many of them have ever a chance. Not because they are hard to implement, but because Minetest Game developers tend to be very conservative. Every non-trivial change needs at least 2 approvals, so development is unsurprisingly slow. The most common excuse for complete rejection is “it is a mod thing”. Sorry, but it's true. XD

I think you should concentrate your hopes and suggestions on subgames with less conservative developers. I am not sure, but maybe you could try Minetest TNG.

Special thanks to Toby, Rubenward, Paramat, Wuzzy, sfan, and all members of this wonderful team!

Nooooo! I did not want to be part of this Minetest Game thing. WHAT HAVE I DONE WRONG?
I am NOT a member of this team. I only made 9 commits or so.
I feel almost ashamed that I have ever touched this. Now it will haunt me until the end of time. xD
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

Spaghetti Developer

by Spaghetti Developer » Mon Dec 19, 2016 21:59

Wuzzy wrote:

This is already implemented in Minetest Game 0.4.14. But it only works for falling blocks such as sand or gravel. Other blocks just drop as an item or get destroyed completely. I think this behaviour is intended and will not change.

We already have those, they are called X, Y and Z. :P

(I know exactly what you mean, but I hate that stupid Minecraft slang. We should come up with a better word, like “parallel worlds”)
Also, it was suggested before. I like the idea.

Yeah, this seems to be a glaring omission in Minetest Game. And I would be happy to remove the obsidian glass panes from mtg_plus.

No, deal with it. :P River water has a lower flowing range and is not renewable, so it is quite different. The low flowing range makes it good to make rivers in the valleys mapgen, the normal water would probably be very awful, as the water would spill all over.

Also, stop the hate! xD River water has many uses: It cools lava and turns it into obsidian. And you can make waterfalls to swim upwards. You can put a boat on it to float over it. You can extinguish fire.

YES!
Freeminer already has this feature, it's a shame it is not in Minetest.

There is an open PR: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/4182
(And it is not finished, shame on me! Shame on Minetest! Shame on the Universe! Shame on the Flying Spaghetti Monster who created the Universe! ;-) )

Almost everything is copyrighted (it's a sick sad world), the real question is usually whether the copyright holder is authoritaritan and uses the powers granted by copyright. For Nyan Cat, we are lucky that the creator is, in fact, not arrogant about it and de facto everyone is free to use it. But I like the nyan cat texture, why all the hate? :-(
Also: Texture packs.

Texture packs.

Let the anger flow through your veins. XD
You forgot to suggest an actual use. :P

Too ugly, no. I think walls are for everything cobblestone. I tried sandstone, but I didn't like it.

You can put items into carts. Just drop them on the cart, then punch it. As far I know, there is no limit on the number of items or item stacks a cart can store.

Also, there is no Minetest 0.4.15 (yet) (Seriously, stop calling it 0.4.15 before it is actually released. It's fucking confusing).

First MT needs a well-implemented knockback system in the first place. This will improve Minetest and potentionally many mods and subgames a lot.

Will be in the next version of Minetest.

Agreed. I don't thing heretic shapes like ... I don't even want to spell it out … will ever make it into Minetest Game.

I think you're off-topic here.

How?

Good suggestion! You should post an issue on GitHub (if you haven't already).

I am not sure about that.

OK I am bored by these suggestions now.

Sorry for sounding arrogant. Actually, I'm not really against most of these suggestions. And I think they would actually improve Minetest Game. But frankly, I fear not many of them have ever a chance. Not because they are hard to implement, but because Minetest Game developers tend to be very conservative. Every non-trivial change needs at least 2 approvals, so development is unsurprisingly slow. The most common excuse for complete rejection is “it is a mod thing”. Sorry, but it's true. XD

I think you should concentrate your hopes and suggestions on subgames with less conservative developers. I am not sure, but maybe you could try Minetest TNG.

Nooooo! I did not want to be part of this Minetest Game thing. WHAT HAVE I DONE WRONG?
I am NOT a member of this team. I only made 9 commits or so.
I feel almost ashamed that I have ever touched this. Now it will haunt me until the end of time. xD

Thank you so much! Your response has impressed me, now I understand what good ideas I have in my head, and what to discard ideas! and State Prezioso Your Help.

Minetest grows thanks to suggestions, wrong, or good of His people! 10 questions, 7 are unwrapped and 3 are valid! This I think is the heart of the project, feedback !!! now Minetest has improved a lot, while 3/4 years ago, the community was much more closed. I'm happy to be here, and I apologize to all of you, for my many questions and curiosity about the project! I am like a child who wants to snoop anywhere :D

GreenDimond, Wuzzy, Thanks!

Also thanks Sam! ^___-

Alcyone

IRC: Alcyone
In-game: Alcyone

by Alcyone » Tue Dec 20, 2016 09:54

There really are good ideas, I still stay awake to see what features are often asked and Wuzzy is right, most of them are mod stuff. I think for all decoration features ask, it would be interesting to see with a mod developer as for the one of moreblock or xdecor for example to see what is possible to do. The core engine is here to give the basis (framework, etc.), most of the features asked have no real link with that even if there are good ideas.

On the other, Minetest Game is and will remain a simple subgame which HAVE to be completed by mods, even if there are little improvements. Sure a hunger hotbar you can desactivate would be interesting but you can have it by a mod, so it wouldn't be implemented for a looooong time I think even if developers would like to. In the same way, I don't think there will are mobs directly bundle with MT, but a real good API could be implemented though.

I'm still knew on Minetest, I don't really feel comfortable to do some proposal but I have two which I think could be useful and that I didn't see yet :

- A slab is a half-bloc, when you want to put a slab, you can put it either on the bottom part or on the upper part. Problem : it's impossible to put a slab directly on the upper part. There are a lot of way to put a slab but I'm really surprise that is impossible to put a slab directly on the upper part which is supposed to be quite natural. It's a bit frustrating to see the upper part targeted and the slab beeing placed at the bottom part.

- Some shortcut to split the bloc easily. With my mouse, I can only use the right click in each slot to put items one by one. It would be useful to be able to slide over the slot while right clicking to split quicker. Doing the same thing with the left one could split equally on the hoovered slots. These are functionalities with really often see in all craft game types, I'm a bit surprised that it doesn't exist in MT (and that nobody says something about it ._. )
-- Alcyone --

Website with french articles on MT : alcyone.toile-libre.org

Spaghetti Developer

by Spaghetti Developer » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:35

Alcyone wrote:There really are good ideas, I still stay awake to see what features are often asked and Wuzzy is right, most of them are mod stuff. I think for all decoration features ask, it would be interesting to see with a mod developer as for the one of moreblock or xdecor for example to see what is possible to do. The core engine is here to give the basis (framework, etc.), most of the features asked have no real link with that even if there are good ideas.

On the other, Minetest Game is and will remain a simple subgame which HAVE to be completed by mods, even if there are little improvements. Sure a hunger hotbar you can desactivate would be interesting but you can have it by a mod, so it wouldn't be implemented for a looooong time I think even if developers would like to. In the same way, I don't think there will are mobs directly bundle with MT, but a real good API could be implemented though.

I'm still knew on Minetest, I don't really feel comfortable to do some proposal but I have two which I think could be useful and that I didn't see yet :

- A slab is a half-bloc, when you want to put a slab, you can put it either on the bottom part or on the upper part. Problem : it's impossible to put a slab directly on the upper part. There are a lot of way to put a slab but I'm really surprise that is impossible to put a slab directly on the upper part which is supposed to be quite natural. It's a bit frustrating to see the upper part targeted and the slab beeing placed at the bottom part.

- Some shortcut to split the bloc easily. With my mouse, I can only use the right click in each slot to put items one by one. It would be useful to be able to slide over the slot while right clicking to split quicker. Doing the same thing with the left one could split equally on the hoovered slots. These are functionalities with really often see in all craft game types, I'm a bit surprised that it doesn't exist in MT (and that nobody says something about it ._. )

You're absolutely right! the problem of the slab + fence, or + stone slab, is due to lack of node management in MT, there are no corner stair that create the block stair at 90 degrees, in Minecraft using a lot. Or the sign + slab to make the sign placed on the ground. All these things still do not exist in MT.

Minetest is an engine, it is not a game! the project is divided into 2 parts, Minetest (engine), Minetest_Game (game content, is a sub-game, a collection of mods). What I want is a more complete version of the vanilla (Minetest_game), while the engine has to be complete, all nodes can handle, and be flexible for customization (especially the main menu), so all I want to add developing myself as a personal mod (which I do for a long time).

In Minetest the Month is worth more than gold and diamond, with the month you all, gold is pretty much useless, and then there are other details but does nothing unbalanced people!

Minetest 0.4.14, translated means that we are in pre-alpha, alpha, or if you prefer. The team works very well (from 0.4.10 onwards there was a considerable improvement). As time passed, many things will be improved, I have no doubt!

Minetest does not have a raytracing engine?

I never understood a thing (in almost seven years), why did you choose Irrlicht! Irrlicht is a 3D graphics engine open source and written in C ++. One of its best characteristics, is to be cross-platform. Officially it supported by Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and Windows CE. Given its open source distribution, it releases were made (port) for Xbox, Playstation Portable, and IPhone. The engine has also been adapted to be programmed in languages ​​such as .NET, Java, Perl, Ruby, Python, FreeBASIC, Lua, and more.

Can anyone take my curiosity? here is the precise questions of Irrlicht would be happy to solve:

* Light 3D engine
* Clean C ++ without dependencies and no STL.
* Not very well documented but there are good tutorials.
* Very small so you can customize it easily.
* No OpenGL 3.X drivers, Direct X 10.X or 11.X available in the official SDK.
* Very good for the mobile development;
* Good community
* Few extensions available

Not very well documented but there are good tutorials, Few extensions available,

I read here on the forum (can not remember where), that sometimes have problems with Irrlicht for the implementation of functionality, and spoken of you to decide whether or not you can enter that function.

Irrlicht is really the best open source solution available for the project? you can include a second framework to compensate for the deficiencies of Irrlicht?

I never understood this choice, I would be very happy to understand what led you to this choice. Irrlicht has no official website, is published on sourgeforge, and has little documentation.

Talking to another user is coming out this sentence "I would Minetest converted to C # + Mono" libraries, I said "My dream is written in Minetest Golang to 100%, for modding the use of go precompiled" libraries.

If you have to dream, I prefer to go overboard!

Thank you all!

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:55

Minetest on C# and Mono? Are you crazy? This will be an absolute desater on GNU/Linux. I know from experience Mono is terrible to use on GNU/Linux. It's so awful I generally tend to avoid .NET or Mono software, even if it is itself free software.

I think you may want to ask your developer questions in the IRC:
irc://irc.freenode.net/#minetest-dev

The chances that a core developer sees this thread are low, I suppose.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

Alcyone

by Alcyone » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:16

Spaghetti Developer wrote:You're absolutely right! the problem of the slab + fence, or + stone slab, is due to lack of node management in MT, there are no corner stair that create the block stair at 90 degrees, in Minecraft using a lot. Or the sign + slab to make the sign placed on the ground. All these things still do not exist in MT.

Minetest is an engine, it is not a game! the project is divided into 2 parts, Minetest (engine), Minetest_Game (game content, is a sub-game, a collection of mods). What I want is a more complete version of the vanilla (Minetest_game), while the engine has to be complete, all nodes can handle, and be flexible for customization (especially the main menu), so all I want to add developing myself as a personal mod (which I do for a long time).

In Minetest the Month is worth more than gold and diamond, with the month you all, gold is pretty much useless, and then there are other details but does nothing unbalanced people!

Minetest 0.4.14, translated means that we are in pre-alpha, alpha, or if you prefer. The team works very well (from 0.4.10 onwards there was a considerable improvement). As time passed, many things will be improved, I have no doubt!

Yes, I always says around me that Minetest is still in v0.something :) I'm aware of that and I'm sure there will be many improvements soon ! I was not really asking for functionalities, but rather wondering why I never see these two points I talked about : shortcuts to craft and slabs.

Thank you for the explantion for slabs :) but I'm still wondering about shortcuts, is there something I don't know ?
-- Alcyone --

Spaghetti Developer

by Spaghetti Developer » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:18

Thanks wuzzy! as always you are the forum essay, I will follow your advice, I'll ask on IRC chat.

Alcyone:

You can not connect those nodes! I use Minetest since 2010, and those combinations you can not do, unfortunately!

Use the screwdriver to rotate the blocks, is the most beautiful and ingenious tool of all Minetest, it allows rotating stairs, generic blocks, glass breads and more.

Alcyone

by Alcyone » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:54

Spaghetti Developer wrote:You can not connect those nodes! I use Minetest since 2010, and those combinations you can not do, unfortunately!

Use the screwdriver to rotate the blocks, is the most beautiful and ingenious tool of all Minetest, it allows rotating stairs, generic blocks, glass breads and more.

You meaning that the screwdriver can put a slab on the upper part ?

In fact when I asked :
Alcyone wrote:but I'm still wondering about shortcuts, is there something I don't know ?

It was linked to :
Alcyone wrote:- Some shortcut to split the bloc easily. With my mouse, I can only use the right click in each slot to put items one by one. It would be useful to be able to slide over the slot while right clicking to split quicker. Doing the same thing with the left one could split equally on the hoovered slots. These are functionalities with really often see in all craft game types, I'm a bit surprised that it doesn't exist in MT (and that nobody says something about it ._. )

You know, for example like on a crafting table in Minecraft.
-- Alcyone --

Spaghetti Developer

by Spaghetti Developer » Tue Dec 20, 2016 16:36

Alcyone wrote:
Spaghetti Developer wrote:You can not connect those nodes! I use Minetest since 2010, and those combinations you can not do, unfortunately!

You meaning that the screwdriver can put a slab on the upper part ?

In fact when I asked :
Alcyone wrote:but I'm still wondering about shortcuts, is there something I don't know ?

It was linked to :
Alcyone wrote:- Some shortcut to split the bloc easily. With my mouse, I can only use the right click in each slot to put items one by one. It would be useful to be able to slide over the slot while right clicking to split quicker. Doing the same thing with the left one could split equally on the hoovered slots. These are functionalities with really often see in all craft game types, I'm a bit surprised that it doesn't exist in MT (and that nobody says something about it ._. )

You know, for example like on a crafting table in Minecraft.

Use the X-Decor mod, you can find them all that is missing in Minetest and have the same features of Minecraft (crafting table is even more beautiful than MC).

Next

Return to Minetest General