What would be the best default subgame?

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

What would be the best default subgame?

by Wuzzy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 19:27

If you would have to choose exactly one default subgame that Minetest should be distributed with, which one should it be? And why?
Remember: “default subgame” implies it will be the first subgame that new players will usually be exposed to, when learning about Minetest. So choose wisely. ;-)

Or do you think Minetest Game (the current default) is already the best possible choice, so no action needs to be taken?

If you think none of the current subgames is good enough for prime time, I would like to hear what you think is lacking in the subgames.

Useful links (please check out and play a few subgames before replying):

Note: Unlike the subgame voting thread, this thread is more about discussion. ANY subgame can be suggested, but I am very interested in hearing your rationale, too.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

firefox

In-game: Red_Fox

Re: What would be the best default subgame?

by firefox » Thu Dec 15, 2016 20:38

tutorial.

at least that. and a hint about the forums and mods.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 21:55

Hmmm, I think Minetest with only the Tutorial subgame would not really count as a game, won't it? ;-)
So the player plays through the tutorial and then what?

twoelk

by twoelk » Fri Dec 16, 2016 01:29

only one? (missunderstanding youre request on purpose ;-P )

If we supply only one well polished game then new players will think THAT is minetest.
I would rather suggest to bundle some extremely different examples. Sadly this wont make the download smaller. Appart from any of the "normal" subgames that offer similar game-plays along the lines of the genre as suggested by mc we should include games such as UfoRun or EpicNode to demonstrate for example radicall different concepts of game-play or geometrical content. If only they where more polished. Not that there aren't any other computer games like these out there but these showcase for Minetest two ways of leaving the trodden tracks of voxel-based or inspired games in the wake of mc.

Other interesting concepts offered might include the old Realtest variants, some limited resources themed game such as those based on sky blocks or water worlds like those based on UnterNull or even those driving the barren stone worlds of the JustTest servers or some post apocalyptic set up.

Another important variant of games are those focused on fighting such as The Hungry Games or Capture-the-Flag.
Not that the other games like Carbone, TNG or Voxelgarden are not well made; they are! I just think if Minetest is indeed a game engine that can run different games then we have to show that the subgames may indeed differ significantly and not only in the variants of nodes, mobs and textures.

mahmutelmas06

GitHub: mahmutelmas06
IRC: mahmutelmas06
In-game: masum

by mahmutelmas06 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 19:34

I will vote for RPGtest when its stable.
My Mods:

Beverage

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 05:24

@twoelk: Yes, I really meant one subgame. I asked for it because I wanted you to think about your choice.

My pick: Pixture.

Reasons:
- Relatively simple to pick up (compared to other subgames), so good for newcomers
- Classic voxel sandbox genre which many players who are already familiar with the genre would logically expect
- Well-designed interface, includes a crafting guide by default
- It appears to be complete; players can just instantly dive in. I don't feel something is lacking. Installing more mods is not neccessary
- Good and simple interface
- Great overall gameplay atmosphere (mobs, weather, biomes) and graphics. Even if the subgame is very simple, the atmosphere makes it really enjoyable to play, to build and to explore (these are my feelings)

And I think these reasons might, overall, give a positive first impression on Minetest. Whether players will be “hooked” by it and might even start to look for other subgames, I don't really know.
I have to agree, including only one subgame has the big danger that many players will equate that to Minetest itself, and maybe even miss out on all the other subgames completely. The solution to that might be to make it clearer to the user that Minetest isn't JUST a single game. Both in Minetest and the homepage.
I actually requested to only suggest ONE subgame for discussion purposes only.
Another solution might be to advertise subgames in general more aggressively, especially the good ones. Currently, almost all subgames are pretty well hidden in the forums. And the homepage only includes screenshots of Minetest Game which is IMO completely wrong. IMO Minetest Game must be dethroned. Development can still continue on it, of course, but I just don't like it as the default subgame.
Minetest Game is a bad default subgame mostly because it strikes to many players as incomplete and it the current answer to that is often just “install mods”, which is a step
Minetest Game can be made O.K. with some mods, but this is clearly not the stuff for complete beginners.

Players who never visit the forums will therefore probably only ever see Minetest Game (or variants of it, if you consider the servers).

Pixture hasn't reached perfection yet:
- It has a couple of not-so-nice bugs remaining (see bug tracker)
- It is still not 100% newbie-proof (no “getting started” guide or anything like that). But many nodes are luckily very simple. For complete newbies the subgame will, probably, in this form still be almost completely unaccessible to newbies (as is true for pretty much all other subgames) because of the way crafting works in Minetest (it's very confusing unless you already understand exactly how it works).

But these “complaints” aside, Pixture's general design makes it IMO the best current choice as a “starter subgame”. And the perceived problems are all solvable.

Note: I think some other subgames are also very nice, but just not as the first pick for complete newcomers.

hajo

by hajo » Sun Dec 18, 2016 13:26

Wuzzy wrote:one subgame. .. My pick: Pixture.
Reasons: ..includes a crafting guide by default

Buggy - crashed the game when I simply pressed the down-button:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
2016-12-18 14:19:01: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'craftingguide' in callback on_playerReceiveFields(): ...8a7dc83\bin\..\games\pixture\mods\craftingguide\init.lua:26: attempt to index a nil value
2016-12-18 14:19:01: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2016-12-18 14:19:01: ERROR[Main]:    ...8a7dc83\bin\..\games\pixture\mods\craftingguide\init.lua:26: in function 'get_formspec'
2016-12-18 14:19:01: ERROR[Main]:    ...8a7dc83\bin\..\games\pixture\mods\craftingguide\init.lua:132: in function <...8a7dc83\bin\..\games\pixture\mods\craftingguide\init.lua:88>
2016-12-18 14:19:01: ERROR[Main]:    ...minetest-0.4.14_8a7dc83\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:412: in function <...minetest-0.4.14_8a7dc83\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:392>

Also: I found a small object at the beach, clicked it, it changed into a small rotating coin,
clicked that - nothing happens, no pickup (happens when running over stuff).

So, a to-be-written welcome-guide should mention how pickup of items is working.
This is an important detail when drops land in hard-to-reach places.
(Think far-side of a canyon / cliff / near lava etc.)
Some of 'my' wiki-pages: Build-a-home - basic-robot - basic-machines - digtron

issa

by issa » Sun Dec 18, 2016 14:16

Hello,

for my the best subGame would be a subSpatial game based on Minetest, imagine can create some space ship and travel on space and found other world to mine !!

Return to Minetest General