Subworlds

Kosmos

In-game: KosmosHD

Subworlds

by Kosmos » Wed Dec 28, 2016 08:38

Hi, i had an idea: lot's of people would create dimensions (like the nether) but it was difficulty to do this.
BUT!!! What do you think if we make "SUBWORLDS" in the woldsfolder.
And with a port you can go into a subworld in the subworldfolder.
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
Like:
World
    |
    |
    |
Subworld
    |   \
    |     \
    |       \
    |         \
    |           \
    |             \
Nether            End

-Kosmos

JoshMars

In-game: rubber UbuntuJosh

Re: Subworlds

by JoshMars » Thu Dec 29, 2016 02:26

I thought about tying two servers together in realtime which might accomplish something very similar to this...

GreenDimond

GitHub: GreenXenith
IRC: GreenDimond
In-game: GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Thu Dec 29, 2016 06:46

People keep saying this is impossible. Minecraft did it. So can Minetest.
I am Green. I tend to binge-post. "All of this over a 16x16 representation of a cartoon cat ?!?! what has this world come to..." -TenPlus1, 2017.
Diz mah mods! :D ↑ github.com/minetest/minetest_game/issues/1647#issuecomment-288134572 ↑
Sand Plus - Tac Nayn - Waffles - Coming Soon: Caverealms Plus

firefox

In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Thu Dec 29, 2016 08:19

minetest is not minecraft.
minecraft worlds have very limited size, while minetest worlds are near limitless.
linking worlds together requires a total re-write of the engine.

the minetest world is big enough to fit 3 realms into it.
portals can be set up with the teleport feature and you could also connect the realms physically.
(for example with a giant tree, or beanstalks or a stairway to heaven/underworld)

JoshMars

In-game: rubber UbuntuJosh

by JoshMars » Thu Dec 29, 2016 15:22

It is possible. Don't listen to the unbelievers. They are just afraid of a little hacking.

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Thu Dec 29, 2016 16:56

I had thought a way to do this might be... creating a script which would pretty much take care of all the steps of exiting to main menu, and then selecting a different world to load, while using a visual placeholder (video?)
Create a special portal block/node when right clicked brings up a list of your worlds in the world folder, you select a world, and then that block is the base block to build your portal (like from the nether mod)...
Now, when you go through that portal, it sets off a string of events with a visual which runs until the other world is loaded.
It would just basically take care of the physical steps of (as I stated) exiting to main menu, selecting another world and then clicking PLAY. The visual/video placeholder could be anything, like a spiral with text reading ...loading (name of world here)
Don't know if it is possible, or how difficult it would be but... it would be pretty cool.
Flick?... Flick who?

Pyros

In-game: Pyros

by Pyros » Thu Dec 29, 2016 19:08

This sounds like a great idea.
Would it open a new world and then close the old one? Or would it keep both open? While the latter would be more preferable (especially for servers) it would also require double the processing power. Also, wouldn't the other world, if used in multiplayer, require its own port, just to make sure players spawn in the correct world? If so, we're talking about "inter-server hyperlinks". However, this would be useful.

GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Sat Dec 31, 2016 00:01

firefox wrote:minecraft worlds have very limited size, while minetest worlds are near limitless.

Well, mostly true. Neither are limitless. Minetest is a specified size (64000^3) which indeed his huge. Minecraft on console and mobile is indeed very small, but for PC, the world size depends on how much your computer can handle. Better PC = larger world. So technically, a PC such as the 93 petaflop Sunway TaihuLight could probably create a world in Minecraft 10,000 times bigger than Minetest's.
I am Green. I tend to binge-post. "All of this over a 16x16 representation of a cartoon cat ?!?! what has this world come to..." -TenPlus1, 2017.
Diz mah mods! :D ↑ github.com/minetest/minetest_game/issues/1647#issuecomment-288134572 ↑

SuperPantsofDoom

In-game: aslar

by SuperPantsofDoom » Thu Feb 16, 2017 23:25

I've mentioned this some were a long time ago ( in v. 4.13 times ) and i just didn't have the Knowlege or skill but i think it could work

linushsao

IRC: linushsao
In-game: linus

by linushsao » Fri Feb 17, 2017 05:33

TumeniNodes wrote:I had thought a way to do this might be... creating a script which would pretty much take care of all the steps of exiting to main menu, and then selecting a different world to load, while using a visual placeholder (video?)
Create a special portal block/node when right clicked brings up a list of your worlds in the world folder, you select a world, and then that block is the base block to build your portal (like from the nether mod)....

yes,i think so. we could also have two servers.only we have to do are as follow:
1.an API to hide the logout/login menu->directly bring player login into server2
2.sync/reload player's datas in server2

1)have to tweak minetest for disable login/hide menu temporarity 2)even could do it by mod.

sucessifully i had make 2 minetestservers using the same player's folder,it work by bindle playes folder between 2 servers(on the same machine),but badly i have to logout from server1 and login server2.
1).My Server:Mars World
2).address:139.59.238.211:30016
3).manual(in processing):http://tinyurl.com/jyjkrgl
4).for my(admin's) role in all my servers,i'll be as the earth/water/fire/wind. i maintain that system,but not manage/touch players directly in game,not own the crafts on planet. i just keep watching the worlds.

Byakuren

GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri

by Byakuren » Fri Feb 17, 2017 19:48

firefox wrote:minetest is not minecraft.

This means nothing, just because something is good for Minecraft does not mean that it is bad for Minetest.

firefox wrote:the minetest world is big enough to fit 3 realms into it.

Very true, but it does not have room for an arbitrary number of worlds, which is possible in Minecraft with mods that allow players to create their own dimensions or pocket dimensions. "Minecraft with mods" is the game that most Minecraft players play, and is the most direct competitor to Minetest since modding is one of our goals. If you are going to compare Minetest to Minecraft, you should compare it to Minecraft Forge rather than vanilla Minecraft.

Minetest has the space for about 512 Minecraft-height worlds. But this would limit each world height very severely (only 256 nodes tall), and I think most Minetest players value being able to dig down thousands of nodes. High world height also allows making ores harder to get by burying them deeper.

Deep worlds and many realms requires having disjoint worlds.

linushsao wrote:1.an API to hide the logout/login menu->directly bring player login into server2
2.sync/reload player's datas in server2

TumeniNodes wrote:I had thought a way to do this might be... creating a script which would pretty much take care of all the steps of exiting to main menu, and then selecting a different world to load, while using a visual placeholder (video?)]

This is a subpar solution, because any mods that have global data will have to keep it consistent across each server. This isn't as simple as only syncing when a player moves servers, because the data for a player might be relevant on every server.

Consider the following example. There is a mailbox mod, allowing each player to have one mailbox and for players to send items between mailboxes. Player A and player B have their mailboxes on separate subworlds, and player A tries to send an item to player B. The code running on A's subworld will need to send the item data to B's subworld, B's subworld will need to modify the world (if the mailbox exists and isn't full), and send back to A's subworld whether the transaction succeeded. Having state spread across different servers will introduce concurrency-related bugs into modding.

It would also make allowing players to have their own subworlds prohibitively expensive, as you will have to spin up a new server for every single subworld. With multiple subworlds in the same server, a new subworld would just be another entry in some std::map (or unordered_map), mostly empty unless the player walks around a lot (which would take up memory on the main world anyway).
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Thu Feb 23, 2017 16:06

TumeniNodes wrote:I had thought a way to do this might be... creating a script which would pretty much take care of all the steps of exiting to main menu, and then selecting a different world to load, while using a visual placeholder (video?)
Create a special portal block/node when right clicked brings up a list of your worlds in the world folder, you select a world, and then that block is the base block to build your portal (like from the nether mod)...
Now, when you go through that portal, it sets off a string of events with a visual which runs until the other world is loaded.
It would just basically take care of the physical steps of (as I stated) exiting to main menu, selecting another world and then clicking PLAY. The visual/video placeholder could be anything, like a spiral with text reading ...loading (name of world here)
Don't know if it is possible, or how difficult it would be but... it would be pretty cool.

video is the hardest part. the other functions are already in minetest api.
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Hi, my username is azekill_DIABLO and i'm an exelent bug-maker(yeah...i know...i have a bad reputation)

azekill_DIABLO said: Mineyoshi+ABJ+Baggins= TOPIC HIJACKED.
My Mods and Stuff | Voxellar | VoxBox on GITHUB | M.I.L.A Monster engine
WEIRD MODDING CONTEST !!!

twoelk

by twoelk » Thu Feb 23, 2017 16:38

this has been discussed soooooo often
[idea] a second world!
Multi Map Teleport System
Mineteset as global virtual world
http://irc.minetest.ru/minetest/2014-08-25#i_3885760
http://irc.minetest.ru/minetest/2014-09-05#i_3898677
(listing just the few discussions I bookmarked)

most people just want to be able to cheat and take all their diamonds or mese from a creative server to some survival server.

• so basic question what happens to your inventory (easiest sollution is as in the Terminator films; you can take nothing)
  • next, what happens if the servers/worlds have different mods.
  • do you suggest to have your client keep open the connection to several servers, be it online or local, at the same time?
    Each world is a single database that only allows to be accessed by one server at a time. Several clients may connect to a server, which then organizes the access to the database as single user of that database. At the moment a server(online or local) is not designed to connect to several world-databases at the same time.
  • I personaly like the suggestion of TumeniNodes best and have indeed made similar suggestions earlier.
    on Feb 02, 2014 twoelk wrote:sounds like simply masking the Main Menu with some "in between worlds room". A 3D ingame illusion world transition room will not make changing servers faster though and most server owners will probably dissallow clients importing inventories from elsewhere.

XtremeHacker

GitHub: XtremeHacker
In-game: XtremeHacker

by XtremeHacker » Thu Feb 23, 2017 17:05

So, I looked on Minecraft, and found the following file structure, I think I can figure out how it works
Root of the world folder, for example "F00Bar"
In "F00Bar" are the following directories (and some random files).
"Playerdata" holds inventory, experience, personal data from an RPG mod, etc
A "Dim0" which would be overworld, and then Dim1 = Nether, Dim2 = End, Dim3 could be a dimension from a mod, etc
So all we need is that file structure idea, and the ability for the Engine to have multiple "sub worlds" loaded from the main world folder, the playerdata folder is a big key to this.
If you say that
function.name_of_thing_to_do
is impossible, then you didn't try hard enough. :P

Mods I work on: MicroExpansion

twoelk

by twoelk » Thu Feb 23, 2017 17:38

on Dec 08, 2013 Krock wrote:... I would like it:
Files:
worlds\myworld\map.sqlite
worlds\myworld\env_meta.txt
worlds\myworld\dimension1\map.sqlite
worlds\myworld\dimension1\env_meta.txt
worlds\myworld\dimension2\map.sqlite
worlds\myworld\dimension2\env_meta.txt

3 worlds in 1, this is my simple thought about this theme. There could be something like portals to go into the other dimension. Those dimension can have diffrent mapgens, but the same blocks avaliable. (else it would get part of too difficult to realize)

Byakuren

GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri

by Byakuren » Fri Feb 24, 2017 07:24

For subworlds we will need to make it possible to pass around "a mapgen thing" to specify the mapgen of a world with.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Fri Feb 24, 2017 22:22

Kosmos

In-game: KosmosHD

by Kosmos » Mon Feb 27, 2017 18:46

I think it would be great for server with big a lot subgames (like get down, PvP, etc.)

Return to Minetest General