I feel mobile users are ruining multiplayer.

WinkingBaby

In-game: WinkingBaby

I feel mobile users are ruining multiplayer.

by WinkingBaby » Wed Jan 04, 2017 20:52

By now I'm sure everyone has encountered Minecraft clones on the google play store. Almost all of these clones are using the Minetest engine. Meaning they can connect to Minetest servers. This pretty much creates a lot of issues, at least for me, because a lot of clueless mobile gamers are downloading these clones and connecting to servers. It would be fine if they didn't act like complete dunces. But unfortunately, they just walk around, grief and place dirt all the time. The servers are overloaded with these kinds of people to the point where it's hard to do anything at times. My proposal to fix this is to have an option to not allow mobile users to join desktop servers. I'm not sure how easy that would be to implement but I think it is a must have for this game. I think there should also be options to not allow desktop players into a server. To create mobile-only servers. There could even be separate tabs for desktop and mobile servers. Of course, there are some hardcore mobile players who use the actual apk from the site. For those people, I would suggest having the option to whitelist certain mobile players. Also, I apologize if someone has already posted about this.

echosa

Re: I feel mobile users are ruining multiplayer.

by echosa » Wed Jan 04, 2017 21:27

I typically don't enjoy multiplayer in video games, so I play most games single player, MC and MT included. So forgive me if I'm ignorant of how Minetest servers work, but can't you password protect your server? Or at least only allow whitelisted usernames?

Wayward_One

GitHub: Wayward1
IRC: Wayward_One Wayward1
In-game: Wayward_One

by Wayward_One » Wed Jan 04, 2017 21:45

"When life becomes a play and I don't know the role I'm cast..."

Latest Minetest builds for Android

Alcyone

IRC: Alcyone
In-game: Alcyone

by Alcyone » Thu Jan 05, 2017 07:46

I currently play on different servers, mobile players or not, players who just do grief, destroy the map are a real problem.

There is a whitelist/blacklist but if you want a public server, you can't prevent the reasons to be blacklisted to happen.

The only advice I can tell you at the moment is this : this kind of player remains generally few time on the server, never read rules or try to understand anything. In this way, try to do this kind of thing I have seen on a server, it really works :

1. Don't give directly interact priv to new player
2. Create an isolated static spawn point
3. In this place, place signs where all the detailed rules are written
4. Almost hidden in all these sign, explain that a code (short, few letters/numbers) is needed to be written inside the chat to get the priv interact, make the code changes everyday
5. Once the player have the code, he can push a button/walk on a pressure plate and be teleported to another spawn place and play

Generally, bad players surrender before having understood the matter :)
But if that happen, I suggest you a simple mod easy to use : Markers

As it is explained, you can craft basically two types of item (3 in fact, but two of them are quite the same, one in a block kind and the other one is a book, not needed to be placed on the ground) : stakes used by 4 to delimit a square, give this delimited area a name, and the block/book to add new builder, give the area to someone else, ect.

In this way you should avoid most of your problems ^^
-- Alcyone --

Website with french articles on MT : alcyone.toile-libre.org

fwhcat

GitHub: fwhcat
IRC: fwhcat
In-game: fwhcat

by fwhcat » Thu Jan 05, 2017 08:52

I'm totally with Alcyone on this way to go, These 5 steps are exactly what I did on Mynetest server,
And as our mods code is open-source, you can have it to get a random code written on a sign when your server starts.

https://github.com/Mynetest/Mynetest-se ... r/init.lua

Alcyone

by Alcyone » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:44

AcidDragon wrote:I'm totally with Alcyone on this way to go, These 5 steps are exactly what I did on Mynetest server,
And as our mods code is open-source, you can have it to get a random code written on a sign when your server starts.

https://github.com/Mynetest/Mynetest-se ... r/init.lua

I was exactly thinking to Mynetest ;) thanks for the link
-- Alcyone --

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 15:57

I already stated in https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/4367 why I am opposed to user discrimation based on their operating system.

But yeah, the Android build needs more love.

I think the real issue is that new players simply have no idea how everything works. Since Minetest (and most subgames) have no in-game help whatsoever, it's no surprise that this happens. Mobile users are less likely to hunt down the Internet for some wiki; they probably do not even know that it exists.
I want to be as soon as Minetest becomes REALLY popular on the PC version, servers will have to face a lot of clueless newbies as well.
So the actual issue is not neccessarily mobile, but players who break the rules. Most mobile users probably do so unintentionally.

I think the suggestions given by the previous posers are very good, much better than just banning mobile users altogether, IMO this is totally unfair. Don't blame the user, at least give them a fair chance.

This makes totally sense: You can not reasonably expect that players magically know all the server rules or conventions (such as “griefing”). So the least you can do is to make at least sure these rules are known.

I also want to mention my Help modpack here which provides an API to add help pages for basically everything: that viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15912&p=240152
I suppose it would be rather easy to extend this modpack with an help entry for the server rules or a “getting started” guide to be shown at the start and which can be looked up later. Of course, this is no replacement to the previous suggestions, but I think this modpack might come in handy. :-)

Also, if newbies can place dirt everywhere when this annoys the hell out of everyone, then clearly this is a problem with the server for not having protection. I mean, duh! It's so obvious, right?
In general, I think it would be a good idea to enforce rules with the mods (at least as much as possible), so they can impossibly be broken. For example, instead of telling players, “never place dirt”, modify dirt so that it can never be placed. ;-)
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

firefox

In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Thu Jan 05, 2017 17:40

on Xanadu, we try to convince players to use the original minetest on computers or at least get the official app version.
you can usually identify those mobile users when they talk about the app store, ratings, worldcraft and that stuff.

when they are flying or noclipping (if that is not a word, then it should be now) without having the proper privs, they just get banned for cheating.

WinkingBaby

by WinkingBaby » Thu Jan 05, 2017 19:02

Alcyone, while that system probably works well I still think it would be easier and more efficient to just have to option to kick them.

Wuzzy, I think the fact that there's a million different version of Minetest on the app store is hurting it. I'm sure if there was only the official apk it would be a lot better.

Both of you gave good fixes for this issue, but I think the mobile user problem will exist until more servers start doing what you suggested. I still think we should have the option to ban certain users, however.
Last edited by WinkingBaby on Fri Jan 06, 2017 13:49, edited 1 time in total.

Alcyone

by Alcyone » Fri Jan 06, 2017 09:20

WinkingBaby wrote:Acyclone, while that system probably works well I still think it would be easier and more efficient to just have to option to kick them.

Wuzzy, I think the fact that there's a million different version of Minetest on the app store is hurting it. I'm sure if there was only the official apk it would be a lot better.

Both of you gave good fixes for this issue, but I think the mobile user problem will exist until more servers start doing what you suggested. I still think we should have the option to ban certain users, however.

Alcyone*

You can still kick or ban them if they break the rules, but I agree to Wuzzy, don't blame them because of the OS even though it is logical that you may find more players doing this on a popular OS with an appstore and so many fork of Minetest.

If you use efficiently basic materials (locked chest, locked door) and protection mods (Areas, Markers...), you will rarely have a problem.
-- Alcyone --

TARD

GitHub: kingtard
IRC: turd
In-game: TARD

by TARD » Tue Jan 10, 2017 04:25

WinkingBaby wrote:By now I'm sure everyone has encountered Minecraft clones on the google play store. Almost all of these clones are using the Minetest engine. Meaning they can connect to Minetest servers. This pretty much creates a lot of issues, at least for me, because a lot of clueless mobile gamers are downloading these clones and connecting to servers. It would be fine if they didn't act like complete dunces. But unfortunately, they just walk around, grief and place dirt all the time. The servers are overloaded with these kinds of people to the point where it's hard to do anything at times. My proposal to fix this is to have an option to not allow mobile users to join desktop servers. I'm not sure how easy that would be to implement but I think it is a must have for this game. I think there should also be options to not allow desktop players into a server. To create mobile-only servers. There could even be separate tabs for desktop and mobile servers. Of course, there are some hardcore mobile players who use the actual apk from the site. For those people, I would suggest having the option to whitelist certain mobile players. Also, I apologize if someone has already posted about this.

If you replace "player/user" = Mexicans then "server" = USA it sound like Trump voter. Tweet Trump and ask for 2 walls.

WinkingBaby

by WinkingBaby » Thu Jan 12, 2017 21:43

TARD wrote:If you replace "player/user" = Mexicans then "server" = USA it sound like Trump voter. Tweet Trump and ask for 2 walls.

All hail Hitl- I mean Trump.

Return to Minetest General